Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I'm already looking forward to that healing scent of rain on hot tarmac, washing away all the scum, and reviving all the greenery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

MJohnston wrote: »
    I'm already looking forward to that healing scent of rain on hot tarmac, washing away all the scum, and reviving all the greenery.

Well if it does happen that way, motorists cyclists etc. would want to be cautious about all that "scum" causing slippery roads. I learned this the hard way back in 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

29c and hot sun here in the south of spain, class

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

29c and hot sun here in the south of spain, class

At least you don't have to worry about your place back home flooding.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Well if it does happen that way, motorists cyclists etc. would want to be cautious about all that "scum" causing slippery roads. I learned this the hard way back in 1995.

Yep, I posted about this before. When I lived in California, this was a major problem for them every time it rained, because it was so extremely rare. Roads turned into skating rinks.

This is somewhat understood by Californian drivers, so they are a bit more aware of the problem (although they're all still so awful at driving that it turns into carnage anyway), but I'd imagine Irish drivers will be very unaware, think that they're used to driving in the rain, and be caught out very badly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yes, I know someone who was severely injured in a one vehicle car crash where she admitted that she didn’t account for the aquaplaning effect of rain on the road after a prolonged hot, dry spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Mostly cloudy here in Glasnevin but there's some blue sky visible and occasional sunshine.It's 21.5C now, RH 67%.

Not much blue sky or sunshine visible now. It's 21.3C with RH of 72%.

The Met Éireann forecasts for the week mostly mention showers happening in the north and northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

MJohnston wrote: »
    Yep, I posted about this before. When I lived in California, this was a major problem for them every time it rained, because it was so extremely rare. Roads turned into skating rinks.

This is somewhat understood by Californian drivers, so they are a bit more aware of the problem (although they're all still so awful at driving that it turns into carnage anyway), but I'd imagine Irish drivers will be very unaware, think that they're used to driving in the rain, and be caught out very badly.

Yep I tweeted about that a few weeks, one thing I'm not sure about though is how this lime dust will change that.

In Carlow they have been spreading lime dust on roads with Melting Tar.

At least you don't have to worry about your place back home flooding.:)

Why is there rain due back home, the last i read was the east might escape most of any rain and rain would stay mostly out west

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why is there rain due back home, the last i read was the east might escape most of any rain and rain would stay mostly out west

Where I'm the name of God did you read that!

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where I'm the name of God did you read that!

Had a quick glance MT's forecast earlier, and taught it mentioned showers for west and north and outlook might be for continuation of dry in the east, maybe the sun has frazzled my brain, if im wrong apologies all round.

Had a quick glance MT's forecast earlier, and taught it mentioned showers for west and north and outlook might be for continuation of dry in the east, maybe the sun has frazzled my brain, if im wrong apologies all round.

There's a slight mention of possible rain for the NW alright. Sporadic (but isolated) showers could occur anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Satelite does not look promising for Dublin today. Cloud thickening and looks like a dull day ahead. Other places should see some cloud burnoff as per the last few days.

The last few days and today has really shown why you can't just look at the charts and think it'll be good fair weather. As pesky as an east breeze is to me, you can see it's merit with how much cloud can be around under high pressure with variable N/W winds. A few posters were lambasted for posting how dull the weekend and this week could be for many and they may not be wrong after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Only over your house. :):)

Cloud starting to break up here in Wexford. Temp starting to rapidly rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

In Dublin City at the moment. Cloudy but I'm absolutely sweatin!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

John.Icy wrote: »
    Satelite does not look promising for Dublin today. Cloud thickening and looks like a dull day ahead.

Looks like it alright! Quite overcast/gloomy now in Dublin 16. Feeling cool now. 19.5c atm. Got up to 24.6c earlier.

Problem for Dublin (today and yesterday) would appear to be convergence. Predominantly west/north west breeze, then as the days gets going/land heats up, there is an easterly sea breeze = cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Not much blue sky or sunshine visible now. It's 21.3C with RH of 72%.

The Met Éireann forecasts for the week mostly mention showers happening in the north and northwest.

It's pretty much overcast now and the temperature's been falling since a high of 21.9C at 12:00. It's now 19.7C with a RH of 74%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

24c in Waterford under mainly overcast but moving skies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just had a few spots of drizzle in the wind. Not even a glimpse of sun here today. Aside from first thing in the morning and late in the evenings, there has been very little sunshine here since Friday.

Temperatures back to average too for next few days with a northerly making things feel fresher, but may warm up again slightly into the low 20s on Friday and Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Looks like it alright! Quite overcast/gloomy now in Dublin 16. Feeling cool now. 19.5c atm. Got up to 24.6c earlier.

Problem for Dublin (today and yesterday) would appear to be convergence. Predominantly west/north west breeze, then as the days gets going/land heats up, there is an easterly sea breeze = cloud.

Yes noticed that convergence yesterday as I was enjoying the sun at home in Kildare - glad I made the trip when I saw the satelite :D

With the current axis of cloud I may just nip out of it here in D9. Can see the edge of cloud base now, somewhere over the airport it seems. Might squeeze some sunshine out later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Good sunshine in kildare last couple of hours...25c again. Very very dead and heavy if the sun disappears for any period. To be honest would rather it to piss rain and get it out of the way than this warm muggy weather..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

29 degrees in Tenerife but it’s less humid then at home and bearable. There’s also a very white sky, which is apperantly the sand from the Sahara blowing over meaning it’s going to get even hotter apperantly. At least there is air conditioned rooms!

Word from home says it’s warm but cloudy in cork city at about 23 degrees or so. Slight sun at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Blue skies at last in n Kerry but still a few clouds hanging around.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

UK Met trend for this week, cooler on Tuesday and Wednesday. Warming up again from Thursday. They mention difficulty forecasting how unsettled it will get next week, but some warm sun at times too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa5IIIsTXDw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭esposito

Gonzo wrote: »
    UK Met trend for this week, cooler on Tuesday and Wednesday. Warming up again from Thursday. They mention difficulty forecasting how unsettled it will get next week, but some warm sun at times too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa5IIIsTXDw

The important thing is that it stays warm even if it is unsettled at times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Inviere

esposito wrote: »
    The important thing is that it stays warm even if it is unsettled at times

Hmm, not for me. I'd rather have to throw a jacket on if it's raining/cloudy, than to be suffering from high humidity without the blue skies. Hate that type of weather.

Cleared up spectacularly in West Clare, only 20.6c but still than cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,746 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Day 16 of the heatwave in Kilkenny .Another day over 25C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some nice sunny spells now in Dublin 13.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

harr wrote: »
    Good sunshine in kildare last couple of hours...25c again. Very very dead and heavy if the sun disappears for any period. To be honest would rather it to piss rain and get it out of the way than this warm muggy weather..

I’m finding it the same. It’s sweaty weather

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement