Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Is it correct that the Dublin area hasn’t seen rain since the end of April? I was amazed at how green the grass was down west this weekend, whilst my apartment complex grass in Dublin is scorched.

Dublin rainfall graph from a post by syranbruen:

UtAU4Tz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yes, over 23 is getting into notable territory. Sure, a lot of summer 1995 wouldn’t have breached 25 degrees and that was notable weather, and it being prolonged was especially unusual. To me 20-22c is very different from 23c+. You go from pleaaant enough to warm.

Maybe it is to do with Viking blood or something, but anything over 19-20c becomes a little too much for me, especially it if is experienced over long periods.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I posted Dublin Airport rainfall stats very recently in the drought thread, see the links below.

The last time Dublin Airport had a daily rainfall with 4mm or more was April 24th. The last time Dublin Airport had a daily rainfall with 3mm or more was May 27th.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107459386&postcount=299
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107457330&postcount=285

EDIT: Thanks MJohnston.

Thanks, I knew I had saw that here, couldn’t think where. It makes sense, when you look at the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Today was stifling hot in Clondalkin. Airless. I went to Bray in the late afternoon as it was much cooler and fresher last week. It was a little better but so humid and some sort of haze or mist over the water making visibility out to sea poor enough. Away from the seafront even just a little bit up the base of Bray Head was really sticky. A horrible day all round. And still way too warm now back in Clondalkin.

The state of the grassy area along Bray prom is shocking. Even in the space of a week since my last visit it has deteriorated hugely. Crazy to think you'd ever miss the sight of green grass in Ireland. God help the cattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Today was stifling hot in Clondalkin. Airless. I went to Bray in the late afternoon as it was much cooler and fresher last week. It was a little better but so humid and some sort of haze or mist over the water making visibility out to sea poor enough. Away from the seafront even just a little bit up the base of Bray Head was really sticky. A horrible day all round. And still way too warm now back in Clondalkin.

The state of the grassy area along Bray prom is shocking. Even in the space of a week since my last visit it has deteriorated hugely. Crazy to think you'd ever miss the sight of green grass in Ireland. God help the cattle!

I'm one road back from the seafront and today felt the hottest and muggiest of the Summer so far. I installed a Hive Smart Central Heating system about a month ago and have been logging in to check the house temperatures every night and tonight is the hottest so far with 27º in the Attic bedroom where I am and 24.5º upstairs and 23.5º downstairs. My bedside fan isn't going to help me tonight methinks. If this is what the rest of ye inland have been dealing with for the last few weeks then God Love Ye! I've been saying to people that I am glad parts of the country hit 30º this Summer just because it meant we weren't the poor relation of the UK Summer weatherwise this year but at the same time I neither wanted 30º temps in my neck of the woods nor envied those that had it. Even more appreciative of the cooling sea breezes we had in Bray up to now making the temps bearable.

As for the grass on the promenade. Mad isn't it! Yellow now and starting to turn to dust with all the foot traffic!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/ken-rings-irish-weather-forecast-for-2018-334283

Ken Ring was a bit out with the snow in June but no doubt he won't mention that but emphasise how he got the end of June and start of July right. Some charlatan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

It looks like the weather is slowly breaking down. I went to Kilkee from Limerick this Sunday. Setting out at around 12.30 it was mostly cloudy with 22c on my car dash. Beyond Ennis temperatures dropped down as far as 18c. Met some drizzle on the approach into Kilrush. By the time I reached Kilkee at about 1.45 pm there was still clouds over the town but clear sky over the sea. Temperature was about 19c. Togged out at it was very like the Mediterranean Sea. It still be Baltic in early July in a normal summer. The lifeguards remarked it was humid in the morning and they're preferring the rain/ drizzle conditions. It was feeling fresh for the afternoon. Became sunnier as the afternoon and as I was departing at 6pm it had warmed up to 21c. The last few days have been much cloudier in the Limerick area. It was wall to wall sunshine nearly everyday last week. Back in Limerick at around 7.30pm it was back up to a humid 22c.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Will have to respectively disagree with Syran just a small bit here. While I think stats are very useful for putting past weather into some sort of context, they don't substitute for the real experience of it.

For example, I recently looking at the temp stats for the east during the thundery spell of July 1985. They weren't that spectacular (high teens/low twenties) but reading the stories on the actual 1985 thread, many people described the air as being exceptionally 'heavy' and oppressive before the great event. Of course, the high humidity would have played a part in the 'feel' of temp, but the real experience in cases like this do, in my opinion, trump cold, hard stats.

Objective always trumps subjective. Always. Seeing the differences in experience and attitude here on boards ie attests to that!

And individuality distorts experience. Sun addicts get grumpy and rain needers fry.

Hard facts every time ;)

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Maybe it is to do with Viking blood or something, but anything over 19-20c becomes a little too much for me, especially it if is experienced over long periods.

As a cool Northern bird, used to almost no heating in winter...was lovely to be driving again last week with windows open..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Today is promised a scorcher of a day I think.someone said she could topple the all time record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The change is marked now. My money is on widespread showers and rain by weekend. In Dublin it is not as warm as it was a week ago but the humidity is higher making it a lot more annoying at night. The Atlantic is bringing in more moisture and cloud. The pattern change while chopping and changing a bit has been trending for a week or two, low pressure to migrate southward bringing typical summer rain systems. Whether it will be short lived or sufficient to break the back of the drought remains to be seen.

Was driving down Dorset St, all the trees planted on the traffic islands are dying. Very weird scene

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That was the most uncomfortable nights sleep of the warm weather. So humid in Dublin last night

That was the most uncomfortable nights sleep of the warm weather. So humid in Dublin last night

Much the same out here as it has been the last few nights
    Has all gone too far.

West Mayo, offshore island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Very glad of the fan I bought last week. Cut right through the humidity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭SouthDublin6w

Apparently meant to see some rain today

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Overnight runs suggest you should enjoy this week of mainly warm and settled weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

36853540_2127259877532810_4342219856175693824_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=76b54264aaf50143c8f4fda8fa1bd9d6&oe=5BDDBAC3

Not a bad week ahead regarding the temperatures

We are able to hold of dreaded Euro High for another week which will take us to mid. July. That is now 2 and a half months of glorious weather.
    Even if the Euro slug and quasi stationary Atlantic lows parked near IE emerge, I don't care anymore, we have been spoilet big time.
    Anything warm and settled in August will come as a bonus, I am now mentally ready for the crap that August usually brings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cloudy/dull start to the day here in Castlebar. Sun will do well to break through. 14 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Doesn’t feel as warm this morning in Cork, feel like the temperatures are dipping a bit every day...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Feeling very muggy outside with occasional glimpses of sun, looks like the cloud is going to burn off and give another hot day here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Inviere

Indeed, slept with the fan about two feet from me & it felt like someone had a hair dryer on and pointing at me. I have to admit, I've had my fill of it now, what I wouldn't give for a few days of refreshing rain showers, before getting back to blue skies again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Barometer clock is moving towards drier weather in the last few days but it is very cloudy here these last few days as well with hardly no sun shining so maybe better weather to come soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭harr

Out lowest temp here at 10am for a few weeks it’s currently 19c and overcast.. sun is making an effort to break through.
    Kildare/Laois border

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

I am tired of the relentless heat and sun. Live in North Cork and its about 5 degrees warmer here then it is wherever else i go (west limerick / coastline). 
    Nights have been tough for weeks, that stinging eyes feeling every morning is getting a little tiring :-)
    I am looking forward to rain and being able to breathe again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I am tired of the relentless heat and sun. Live in North Cork and its about 5 degrees warmer here then it is wherever else i go (west limerick / coastline). 
    Nights have been tough for weeks, that stinging eyes feeling every morning is getting a little tiring :-)
    I am looking forward to rain and being able to breathe again

I think you need to change your username:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Villain wrote: »
    Overnight runs suggest you should enjoy this week of mainly warm and settled weather!

Not according to ME, In fact this morning she said the rain could turn heavy as it arrives and pushes South.

http://archive.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not according to ME, In fact this morning she said the rain could turn heavy as it arrives and pushes South.

http://archive.met.ie/forecasts/

Well some showers in some areas alright but probably very little in Eastern areas but the breakdown to cooler unsettled is showing in FI for most models now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mostly cloudy here in Glasnevin but there's some blue sky visible and occasional sunshine.It's 21.5C now, RH 67%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Mostly cloudy here in Glasnevin but there's some blue sky visible and occasional sunshine.It's 21.5C now, RH 67%.

Very cloudy in Dublin 13. Reminds me of the second week of April - funnily enough this is around the same time as that horrible week. If only it could lash, that'd be nice.

EDIT: Hazy sun is trying to get going now over 15 minutes later.

1F5K0HG.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Next Monday looks like one of our usual summer days... :D

gfs-7-180.png?6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement