Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Yes, its becoming annoying when you keep hearing things like it rained non stop all year, and a week of good weather suddenly has us needing hose pipe bans, etc

If we get a more typical second half of Summer, we'll have the usual moaning about it being a terrible summer, with the current spell downplayed as just being "a few nice days in June."

In fairness, wasnt it the wettest winter on record or something like that. we had every right to moan
    edit: I notice the op is from Dublin sure yous dont get a third of the rain we get in the west

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Pangea wrote: »
    In fairness, wasnt it the wettest winter on record or something like that. we had every right to moan

What? :confused:

2017-18 wasn't the wettest Winter on record at any synoptic station that I know of, 2013-14 and 2015-16 were though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Such a change from morning here near Mallow. It was quite cool but pleasant up to lunchtime but the heat this afternoon is something else. Feels worse than last week and could be the humidity I suppose.

The unscientific car is reading 32.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Such a change from morning here near Mallow. It was quite cool but pleasant up to lunchtime but the heat this afternoon is something else. Feels worse than last week and could be the humidity I suppose.

I agree with you,it definitely feels much hotter today,I just went out to the clothes line and it's the first time since this spell started that it's unbearable to stand out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

sryanbruen wrote: »
    What? :confused:

Im prob wrong about the wettest, might have been thinking about this article

https://www.rte.ie/eile/brainstorm/2018/0326/950093-wet-wet-wet-last-decade-saw-most-rainfall-in-300-years/

Anyway, 219.7mm fell in Finner in January not exactly dry. It was horrible and wet before the Dry weather from the east set in here in NW.

Im prob wrong about the wettest, might have been thinking about this article

https://www.rte.ie/eile/brainstorm/2018/0326/950093-wet-wet-wet-last-decade-saw-most-rainfall-in-300-years/

Anyway, 219.7mm fell in Finner in January not exactly dry. It was horrible and wet before the Dry weather from the east set in here in NW.

Yeah, they're probably referring to 2013-14 and 2015-16 (also 2014-15 in some northwestern regions) which were indeed the wettest Winters on record for most.

Anyway, been a lovely day again here with bags of sunshine. I've not been reporting much in the past week on my weather here because well, I'd be saying the same thing a lot of the days. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Anyway, been a lovely day again here with bags of sunshine. I've not been reporting much in the past week on my weather here because well, I'd be saying the same thing a lot of the days. :P[/quote]

Just up the road from you SBryan, Stepaside, fully agree with you, every day is glorious, rinse and repeat

Long may it continue, im loving it i must say, that feeling you get when abroad, reliable glorious sunshine to wake up to and look forward to the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This morning there was a bit of a breeze and being off work today I opened the windows and there was a nice breeze that was a change. The afternoon has changed big time. The local GAA pitch is having a tough time of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Same here too. Weather was quite cool this morning but the temperature started to rise quickly and it is very warm this afternoon.

Thankfully the strong breeze has taken the edge off the temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If is very difficult to say it is wet or dry as parts of Ireland can have huge contrasts. Parts of the west get over 3 times the rainfall of the east. Then you can have local weather events. Donegal got an awful drenching that time.
    I have an image somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s lovely here on the north Dublin coastline. Hot sun, cool breeze.

Here are those stats from August 17 over a week.
    Over 10 times the rainfall in Malin Head 120mm (over a week) than Dublin Airport 13mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Today has been the most humid day yet, imo. I just can’t seem to get any air at all....uncomfortably hot.

Latest reports at 6pm
    Malin Head 15c
    Shannon/Moorepark 27c.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Only got up to 20.7C in Castlebar today, wnw breeze really playing a part in keeping the temperature down, but still not a cloud in the sky and sunny so not much to complain about after a very overcast and cool day yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

edit: I notice the op is from Dublin sure yous dont get a third of the rain we get in the west

you know who has every right to moan? people who live in countries that get regular extreme events like hurricanes or live with the risk of tsunamis. we have it good here and i think in the next decade or so people will increasingly long for the stubborn old ways of irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Colser wrote: »
    I agree with you,it definitely feels much hotter today,I just went out to the clothes line and it's the first time since this spell started that it's unbearable to stand out there.

It doesn't feel any hotter here in Glasnevin than other days. In fact there's a bit of a breeze which is refreshing. Also it doesn't feel very humid.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Exaggerated so much in fact, that to the minds of rest of the world, Ireland is a place where it rains non-stop. Look at any data from Met Éireann, even the minute/5 minute ones and even at the wetter stations, recorded rainfall occurs only about 3-6% of the time, even in the wettest months. It is a rare day indeed that we get a spell of rain that continues unbroken for 18 to 24hrs, not mind for weeks on end!

i can think of maybe about 2 occasions in the last year that it's been raining so much that it stopped me doing anything or interfered with my life in any way. and i don't have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

The warm temps have been getting a lot of the air time.

Not sure about the rest of you, but for me one of the truely amazing features lately is the clearness of the air above, the intense sunshine for the moment go each day. Continental skies. It feels and looks like France or Spain. Truely continental.

Such skies (and certainly as often as they have been this year) usually require a plane ticket to experience!! Certainly not typically Irish skies that’s for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

i can think of maybe about 2 occasions in the last year that it's been raining so much that it stopped me doing anything or interfered with my life in any way. and i don't have a car.

You must be from Dublin. Your blessed and long may you be but there is more than your local area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It doesn't feel any hotter here in Glasnevin than other days. In fact there's a bit of a breeze which is refreshing. Also it doesn't feel very humid.

I must be alone, but I haven't felt hot at all over the past week or so, I find the weather just very pleasant. And I'm a ginger!

Maybe it's the low humidity, but I felt more uncomfortably warm during the earlier warm spell this year.

Danzy wrote: »
    You must be from Dublin. Your blessed and long may you be but there is more than your local area.

leitrim actually

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'm thinking of booking a holiday in Iceland. I could do with a bit of cold :pac::pac::pac:

Early today when I got up, around 4 am, according to met. ie it was a blissful 9c. A pleasure..

V_Moth wrote: »
    Just for those asking re birds being quiet: Most species will be busy with breeding season and won't spend so much time singing. In the hot weather most will be active in the very early morning, with less activity over lunch time. Most of the commoner garden birds also focus more on catching insects over the summer months to feed youngsters, though they will still visit feeders at times to stock up themselves.

The sparrows nesting in the wall by my door are on their 2nd clutch and in and out beaks full all the day long. Only time I hear them is when they tukk at me for being too near the nest when I am simply about my own business,,,

Well, rain has never stopped me either but I have got soaked to the skin any number of times, literally ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

You either don't do anything outside or you're talking through your hoop. It doesn't rain as much as we make out, but 2 days in the last 12 months??

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

On the train up to Drogheda today and the area around Malahide reminded me of the coast of Portugal. Lambay Island especially is completely brown. Would be interesting to see if this is beginning to show up on satellite images.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Nice update to your site on desktop Mick :)
    will the mobile version be updated ?

I'm surprised you found the new script. Glad you like it. Yes there is a mobile version. Just go to www.waterfordweather.com on any mobile device and you will see it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement