Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Air so still and sky so clear and another very hot day descending on the land...Lark singing loud..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭harr

Could be in for a warm one ...already up to 21c here in kildare and not a breeze..at least the night time temps have been reasonable and not to warm the last few nights..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

harr wrote: »
    Could be in for a warm one ...already up to 21c here in kildare and not a breeze..at least the night time temps have been reasonable and not to warm the last few nights..

Depends where you are living. It was 21c when I was going to bed. 14c this morning at 6am. Still too warm to sleep. My sleep deficit is starting to get to me. It's been nearly a month since I got more that 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Spells of exceptionally "bad weather" haven't lasted anywhere near as long as this portion
    of exceptionally "good weather".

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Im.in Waterford and woke at 5am between the heat and hayfever symptoms. I looked out the window and it looked like we had had a shower. Can anyone confirm this. It could have been an illusion brought on by heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

hinault wrote: »
    Spells of exceptionally "bad weather" haven't lasted anywhere near as long as this portion
    of exceptionally "good weather".

?? The spring just passed perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I don’t know where you,ve been ?? I live in Louth , just up the road from you , about 4km from the beach and it’s been blistering for the last 2 weeks and temperatures definitely over 28deg on days. I wouldn’t want it hotter!! Cats and dog hiding under bushes all day or in the house, grass brown , all windows open at night, for over 2 weeks and this isn’t a heatwave ?

Can’t believe you’re complaining, any breeze at all is welcome .

Depends what 4km inland means.
    4km can make a big difference, especially when wind is quite light. The Northern Half of Louth would have been much more sheltered from a northeast wind, compared to places further south, because of the shape of the coast.
    You could be 4km inland, with the sea 4km to your south east, but the breeze is blowing from the northeast and over a mountain! .
    The only true warm day in Balbriggan was Thursday, when it reached 25C with almost no wind. Otherwise, its been 19-21C.. We have sea to our north and east, so we're screwed when the wind is varying between those directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

4km can make a big difference, especially when wind is quite light. The Northern Half of Louth would have been much more sheltered from a northeast wind, compared to places further south, because of the shape of the coast.
    You could be 4km inland, with the sea 4km to your south east, but the breeze is blowing from the northeast and over a mountain! .
    The only true warm day in Balbriggan was Thursday, when it reached 25C with almost no wind. Otherwise, its been 19-21C.. We have sea to our north and east, so we're screwed when the wind is varying between those directions.

I have to laugh when I see 19-21C described as not truly warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I'd like it hotter. Max in Dublin 9 has been around 26 degrees which is grand but another few degrees would be perfect.

Can we stop going after anyone who likes heat and would like it warmer? Getting tiring at this stage. Someone mentions an east breeze and the 'I hate heat' brigade are in with a paragraph about how the weather is too warm already.

A weather forum should cater for all weather preferences without people constantly going after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭harr

Lucreto wrote: »
    Depends where you are living. It was 21c when I was going to bed. 14c this morning at 6am. Still too warm to sleep. My sleep deficit is starting to get to me. It's been nearly a month since I got more that 4 hours.
    What I mean sleep isn’t to bad compared to last week where it was struggling to drop below 20 well into the night and was getting warm very early...I agree 14c is still very warm for good sleep but inside the house not reaching the heights of last week..

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    I'd like it hotter. Max in Dublin 9 has been around 26 degrees which is grand but another few degrees would be perfect.

Can we stop going after anyone who likes heat and would like it warmer? Getting tiring at this stage. Someone mentions an east breeze and the 'I hate heat' brigade are in with a paragraph about how the weather is too warm already.

A weather forum should cater for all weather preferences without people constantly going after them.

Equally, can we stop going after anyone who hates heat and would like it cooler? Just as tiring. We're all free to post what we want, until a mod says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Still 20.8 degrees in the Bishopstown/Wilton area of Cork City. Just back from the city center, left the cinema and was greeted by a wall of heat. What an experience, really felt like a foreign country.

Its very heavy air though, very uncomfortable to relax in. Not a breeze blowing.

EDIT: Also roches point the third hottest place in the country today? Wut

At red barn last week and the water was the warmest i can ever remember it being. Almost didn't mind getting dunked by the kids 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Looking at the jetstream forecast, we're not due the south westerlies until at least Sat 14th, so I suspect the dry weather will last until then

MJohnston wrote: »
    Equally, can we stop going after anyone who hates heat and would like it cooler? Just as tiring. We're all free to post what we want, until a mod says otherwise.

In fairness you replied to Elmer and told him he was moany last night for his thoughts, unprovoked. Agree with your sentiment otherwise.

John.Icy wrote: »
    In fairness you replied to Elmer and told him he was moany last night for his thoughts, unprovoked. Agree with your sentiment otherwise.

Oh I think practically everyone on thread is being moany in some way or another! My point is, we're all free to disagree with each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I don’t know where you,ve been ?? I live in Louth , just up the road from you , about 4km from the beach and it’s been blistering for the last 2 weeks and temperatures definitely over 28deg on days. I wouldn’t want it hotter!! Cats and dog hiding under bushes all day or in the house, grass brown , all windows open at night, for over 2 weeks and this isn’t a heatwave ?

I have been reliably informed that Skerries last Sunday was windy and chilly.
    A heatwave is FIVE consecutive days over 25c so we have fallen short of a heatwave in Dublin.
    I'm annoyed that a summer easterly can last weeks but only about five minutes in winter but the continuous sunny weather is most welcome in a country where we are usually under a permanent blanket of cloud so I'm not really complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

in my opinion, the weather in Dublin has been close to perfect during this spell. Constantly between 22-28 degrees over the past few weeks in around phoenix park area. For me these are ideal temps and what has been striking for me is that the wind has been so light too.
    I would take 22-28 degrees any day of the week

I don’t know where you,ve  been ?? I live in Louth , just up the road from you , about 4km from the beach and it’s been blistering for the last 2 weeks and temperatures definitely over 28deg on days.  I wouldn’t want it hotter!! Cats and dog hiding under bushes all day or in the house, grass brown , all windows open at night, for over 2 weeks and this isn’t a heatwave ?

A heatwave is FIVE consecutive days over 25c so we have fallen short of a heatwave in Dublin.
    I'm annoyed that a summer easterly can last weeks but only about five minutes in winter but the continuous sunny weather is most welcome in a country where we are usually under a permanent blanket of cloud so I'm not really complaining.

nonsense, Phoenix park which is pretty much in the heart of Dublin has had numerous days 25 or higher. During the very hot week or two, phoenix park was as high as 28 if memory serves me well and was consistently around 25-26. The heat wave has definitely hit Dublin but certainly not as hot as the midlands and parts of the west that week

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

It's not a heatwave/snow event/wind event/rainfall event unless there's 30 degrees/6 inches of lying snow/trees down/2 feet of water in my back garden.

it reminds me of the snow event where people say the snow is not that bad (in my garden), oblivious to the fact that maybe 10 minutes away in the same county there is nearly a metre of snow. These sweeping generalisations like Dublin is not that cold or hot............of course if you live right next to the coast it will be less cold in the winter and less warm in the summer. In my opinion, when looking at Dublin temperature specifically, Phoenix park is probably the most accurate barometer of temperature as it is most central but is far enough away from the city centre that heat island effect wouldn't be a factor, it is neither too far from nor too close to the sea. Just my opinion though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

This thread is gas. We have some posters having illusions an all over the heat, and others complaining of the cold. We will all look back on this in years to come as the best summer of our lives. Enjoy it guys.

well I live at Bettystown which isn't considered North Louth, and there is no real shelter here?? But its hot! We are open on both sides to Laytown on the right and Mornington/Baltray on the left, all big open beaches. The breeze on the beach has been absolutely fabulous and made the heat bearable (on my day off!)..... but the garden was unbearably hot with no wind at all.

If this isn't a heatwave I don't know what is. Hardest part is working with no real aircon and the sun beating down on the building! But not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Thewife

All of you guys here are amazing at keeping us up to date on all things weather ! I gave up watching the weather forecast on the tv for the last couple of years and I just come here instead as you guys can be trusted to explain it in plain English and tell us the truth 🀣

I’m no expert so in simple terms ,,is this heat and fabulous weather set to continue for the foreseeable ? I ask because there’s a lovely big fancy smancey swimming pool due into a German retailer this week and the kids are saying a novena everyday so they can get it 🀷*♀️ I don’t want to get it if the good weather is due to end , that would be a total waste of 120 Euro !! And before any of the “save the water “ crowd start jumping on me , I have my own water well so my water consumption is mine and mine only , me filling a 7500 litre pool for the kids will have no affect on anyone else 😊

Thanks in advance guys for your replies and although the heat has been tough at times to endure (timber frame house and my husband decided to insulate it about 10 times for extra warmth , he is regretting that now ) we are loving this amazing weather , it’s not often we get to eat al fresco in Ireland and my kids think they have won the lotto , they can’t believe they are allowed to run around the garden and jump on the trampoline at midnight , they think it’s amazing 😉

Winter was always my favourite season , I’m one of those that prays for snow ⛄️... but I am loving this summer we are having !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I was at Ardgillan last Sunday teatime and "windy and chilly" it most certainly was not!! :)

Using the non-rounded figures, neither Phoenix Park or Dublin Airport registered a heatwave (using the 25 x 5 definition). Phoenix got very close and if you round their 24.6s etc you get 4 x 25 degree at least days before it drops a 24.1 on the 5th day. We'll get our chance however. To note, Casement just about got its 5x25.

Presumably all other stations bar the obvious exceptions (Malin and other very coastal ones) all registered 5 days of 25 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

nonsense, Phoenix park which is pretty much in the heart of Dublin has had numerous days 25 or higher. During the very hot week or two, phoenix park was as high as 28 if memory serves me well and was consistently around 25-26. The heat wave has definitely hit Dublin but certainly not as hot as the midlands and parts of the west that week

Phoenix Park had just two days above 25C last week but most days have been 21-25C. Still excellent but I suspect in the shade it could still feel a tad chilly at times with the sea breeze. Even here 15km further inland there's been a coolness to the breeze when you're not in direct sunlight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

And to think some people were throwing the toys out of the pram a few days ago saying summer was over

Why was that? Was the weather bad up the country? Here in Cork we have not had a drop of rain in two months and non stop sunshine everyday. It is not the typical summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Why was that? Was the weather bad up the country? Here in Cork we have not had a drop of rain in two months and non stop sunshine everyday. It is not the typical summer.

'Cause of the good end to May and start to June. Around middle of June is historically a period known for its return to the westerlies and people think it was going to be the same this year with that warm spell being our "Summer" of the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

That's a bit of an exaggeration. We had a few days in mid June which were cloudy, cool and windy. I agree with you about the lack of rainfall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Already up to 22 degreesin cork city. Warm again today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement