Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dilw2

There are free practice tests on the public jobs website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DoreenB

tringle wrote: »
    Has anyone any recommendations for sites for practice aptitude tests similar to what we will be doing. Anything I have found is looking for a fee. Timimg is my worst bit and I need to practice. Thanks.

There are some test samples on public jobs page. They are timed also. In resources I think. Interview tips and so forth

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KkJay18

Does anyone know what the next steps from here are after completing stage 1? Are we contacted to say we did/did not get past stage 1 and if so when?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 blaagirl03

KkJay18 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the next steps from here are after completing stage 1? Are we contacted to say we did/did not get past stage 1 and if so when?

Email around end of July/ start of August I believe..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

They shouldn't even ask if you have a disability if they are really looking to employ fairly if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

They shouldn't even ask if you have a disability if they are really looking to employ fairly if you ask me.

True but you may need accomodations like an interpreter like i do if asked to interview as i am an ISL user.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Moving2017

True but you may need accomodations like an interpreter like i do if asked to interview as i am an ISL user.

I'd suggest emailing PAS and asking them.

They should be able to provide accommodations. Im unsure if it was asked in the earlier round of the competition,

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Moving2017 wrote: »
    I'd suggest emailing PAS and asking them.

They should be able to provide accommodations. Im unsure if it was asked in the earlier round of the competition,

Onus is on them to provide an interpreter anyway as they are a public body as per the recent Irish Sign Language Act 2017. I mentioned that i was an ISL user in the suggestions. They ask on the public jobs website profile you save if you speak English, Irish or use sign languge ( which is wrong, as its Irish Sign Language) but i cant remember if it was on application form for co or not.

Onus is on them to provide an interpreter anyway as they are a public body as per the recent Irish Sign Language Act 2017. I mentioned that i was an ISL user in the suggestions. They ask on the public jobs website profile you save if you speak English, Irish or use sign languge ( which is wrong, as its Irish Sign Language) but i cant remember if it was on application form for co or not.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying that the best option is to email them if you wish to make them aware now, rather than if you get an interview.

However, as the application form is linked to your profile, they will have the information from there also, (assuming you ticked the SL box)

On your Irish Sign Language versus Sign Language, It may be a case that it is recorded as Sign language rather that ISL, to encompass the possibility that a candidate may be from a different country and use a different variant. for example a candidate may use BSL.

Thats all true. Also generally from my experience a BSL user would have ISL if they were living here, as they are two very different signed languages.

There is no requirement to live in Ireland in order to apply for these positions, oversee's candidates can and do apply for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 laugh2304

Just wondering if you are offered a post from this competition in one of your chosen locations are you ruled out of any posts that arise in your other location then?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 blaagirl03

laugh2304 wrote: »
    Just wondering if you are offered a post from this competition in one of your chosen locations are you ruled out of any posts that arise in your other location then?

If you take them up on the original offer then yes you are ruled out for other locations. If you turn down that offer you may be offered another position in your other locations only if your number is reached in that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marebear

Hiya all
    Post very interesting. I applied for 2018 campaign. Once you get a number at the end of july. How long before you hear back? I am seeing alot from campaign 2016. Does that mean you could be waiting a few months or years for an interview? How does this all work!

Regarding interpreters, its hard enough to source an isl interpreter, severe lack of them in Ireland. You could be waiting weeks sometimes. Id say theyd have some effort looking for an interpreter if the Deaf person was from vietnam n used vietnamese sign only. They asked on the application if you could speak Irish or English or use sign language. Irish and English are two recognised national languages. Irish Sign Language was recognised as the third national language of Ireland recently hence why it should be Irish Sign Language on the application not sign language.

You've missed my point completely. Also I'm not disagreeing with you, on the fact that ISL is important, however you'll see I used BSL as an example, as it is more likely for someone from within the EU to seek the job, rather than someone from Vietnam as you have mentioned.

I in fact, fully support ISL receiving official language status, and have sought to learn it myself, without the need to for any role I've worked in. I am not disagreeing with you on any of your ISL status points.

However, as you've said there is a lack of interpreters, and should you wish to ensure that you provide PAS with sufficient notice to ensure that one is available should you secure an interview, You can email them, but there is two rounds of testing to be undertaken before you possibly secure an interview, so my suggesting was if you wished to contact them you could, and put any potential doubt out of your mind.

No one from PAS will be picking up your comments on boards in order to secure you an interpreter. I'm merely providing advice as someone who has been through numerous campaigns (I am not myself a CO candidate). From prior experience, I have found PAS as accommodating in regards to similar matters.

Marebear wrote: »
    Hiya all
    Post very interesting. I applied for 2018 campaign. Once you get a number at the end of july. How long before you hear back? I am seeing alot from campaign 2016. Does that mean you could be waiting a few months or years for an interview? How does this all work!

Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer to your question, Invitations to subsequent stages are dependent on how you get on at each previous stage. You could be called quickly after the first number, or you could be waiting.

Generally campaigns are ran every two years (from past experience, however there is no requirement afaik). The previous panel remains in place until the subsequent one is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭claregal1

Moving2017 wrote: »
    You've missed my point completely. Also I'm not disagreeing with you, on the fact that ISL is important, however you'll see I used BSL as an example, as it is more likely for someone from within the EU to seek the job, rather than someone from Vietnam as you have mentioned.

I in fact, fully support ISL receiving official language status, and have sought to learn it myself, without the need to for any role I've worked in. I am not disagreeing with you on any of your ISL status points.

However, as you've said there is a lack of interpreters, and should you wish to ensure that you provide PAS with sufficient notice to ensure that one is available should you secure an interview, You can email them, but there is two rounds of testing to be undertaken before you possibly secure an interview, so my suggesting was if you wished to contact them you could, and put any potential doubt out of your mind.

No one from PAS will be picking up your comments on boards in order to secure you an interpreter. I'm merely providing advice as someone who has been through numerous campaigns (I am not myself a CO candidate). From prior experience, I have found PAS as accommodating in regards to similar matters.

There was a box to tick in the original application to state if you have a disability and would require assistance- going forward if and when you would be called for interview PAS would accomdate your needs

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

I have been called for interview,
    Has anybody any feedback on kind of questions asked , how long is interview
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭busymammy

moans3536 wrote: »
    I have been called for interview,
    Has anybody any feedback on kind of questions asked , how long is interview
    Thanks
    Are you sure you are on the right page? Think there is still no info on first questionnaire stage..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭busy_mom

Anyone else wondering if we'll hear back today?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

I hope we hear something today. Although, having read the 2016 thread, I feel somewhat disappointed as it seems to take forever before you get a job, if at all :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

andala wrote: »
    I hope we hear something today. Although, having read the 2016 thread, I feel somewhat disappointed as it seems to take forever before you get a job, if at all :(

It is a pretty long process so don't get disheartened..... I came in off 2016 panel a n d was ranked quite highly and it took eight months from application to starting. I will say though I ended up in AGS so my vetting took I think around 11 weeks so it possibly would have been a bit quicker had I been placed in another department

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mascherano11

Hi crunchymomma just wondering where u were posted with AGS and what’s it like? I’ve been assigned there on latest campaign just waiting on vetting to come through

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭busymammy

I know each competition is independent from any other but here is the question-if you have applied for one and are successful and being placed, start working etc. In the meantime you are also being successful in another and also offered position which turns out to be more suitable... Can you exit the pisition you just started and accept the other one without any complications? Or you are tied to it for some time?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭EmmetWhitey

Hi crunchymomma just wondering where u were posted with AGS and what’s it like? I’ve been assigned there on latest campaign just waiting on vetting to come through

I'm currently working as a TCO in AGS. I have to say I've never met a bunch of nicer people to work with. When I started the job I thought (as many would I'd think) that there is a serious divide in the station between Garda and Civilian but they have treated me as one of their own since I've been here. (Been posted here since October 2017). So please don't let the fact that it's a Garda Station put you off. I bet you'll love it. Plus it's probably the best assignment you can get if your nosy like myself lol :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

The results are in, looks like I've qualified for stage 2, whenever that may be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

I just got a message to say that I have been placed in order of merit based on my score and should a vacancy arise in my selected area I will be contacted to proceed with stage 2?? I'm confused! is that good or bad? Is that not what everyone else got?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I've only heard back about one of my locations (my second choice). Is that normal?

What's a good number to have here on the order of merit? Clearly lower is better, but is there an upper limit where you might as well just forget about it? Of course it will depend on county too...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

I just got a message to say that I have been placed in order of merit based on my score and should a vacancy arise in my selected area I will be contacted to proceed with stage 2?? I'm confused! is that good or bad? Is that not what everyone else got?

I know someone who got the same reply! What does it mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Same, I got placed 192 for my second choice but nothing about my first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dublingirlx

Big Vern wrote: »
    I know someone who got the same reply! What does it mean?

Ihaven't a clue? Im stumped and feel a little deflated to be honest! They obviously placed people based on their result from stage 1 and if a position comes up in their chosen location they will be selected for stage 2 if they reach their position!!! :confused::(

Advertisement