Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Majorkate2018

336699 wrote: »
    How long did it all take in total? Mine is at 2pm and I’m trying to figure out which train to book home.

It says to give yourself about 2.5 hours but, I was in at 2pm and out just before 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lisah77

The practice test for error checking, for example on the public jobs practice page it gave an example of the test and the plots size was the same in the practice test as in the actual test. Was this the same in your practice test yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Annied22

Hi - congrats for all who got called for stage 2 so far.... has anyone from carlow or Wicklow been called yet and if so what was your OOM please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

That original comment was misleading. Each county has a separtate OOM. Every county has been called but the numbers called vary.

One county may have called the first 50 on the OOM others 30 and another could be 100. It depends on how many vacancies they expect to arise in a given area.

I thought it had to be more like what you are describing alright!

It seems a very strange system still though. For example, someone who won't be called until later because they got a low OOM on stage 1, may blow all the previous scores out of the water in the supervised tests.

But with this system does that mean, that people who have scored lower in the supervised tests, but were called earlier, were already given interviews and placed ahead of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭HDonal

iPhone. wrote: »
    I thought it had to be more like what you are describing alright!

It seems a very strange system still though. For example, someone who won't be called until later because they got a low OOM on stage 1, may blow all the previous scores out of the water in the supervised tests.

But with this system does that mean, that people who have scored lower in the supervised tests, but were called earlier, were already given interviews and placed ahead of them?

That's exactly what it was like for me! I applied for the 2016 campaign and scored low in the first test to determine the order of merit. However when I sat he supervised tests I came first out of that batch. Crazy system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Honestly i don't know but it appears thats the way it works...

likewise someone who score low on the OOM, but would potentially top the scoreboard at stage 2 may never get there.

In reality, the only true and fair way would be to say everyone who passed stage 1 (met the minimum requirement) go to stage 2, everyone who passes stage 2 go to stage 3 and then the panels be formed.

If too many people passed stage 1/stage 2, up the minimum score (like they do with college entry points).

but that would be more expensive, at least in the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dilw2

Annied22 wrote: »
    Hi - congrats for all who got called for stage 2 so far.... has anyone from carlow or Wicklow been called yet and if so what was your OOM please

Haven't seen anything here about Carlow yet...not sure about wicklow. I'm 70's for Carlow & havent received anything about stage 2 so dont know how many have been called so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

I think the process should be a lot more transparent than it is.

I'd say a lot of people were surprised by the questionnaire or stage 1 being used to place applicants in an OOM.

Why didn't they announce in advance that it was changing and give the details step by step of all the stages and what was entailed so there would be no confusion and complete transparency.

The stage 1 questionnaire also apparently had no correct or incorrect answers and was not timed, but they only produced the results and no explanation as to how they are arrived at, not very transparent either.

dilw2 wrote: »
    Haven't seen anything here about Carlow yet...not sure about wicklow. I'm 70's for Carlow & havent received anything about stage 2 so dont know how many have been called so far.

Thanks for the info - I’m in the 60’s and haven’t heard yet ..... fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CoffeTime

Annied22 wrote: »

Got called for 2 stage. 26's for Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Joe222

Are there less people being called in this campaign compared to 2016? There seem to be very small numbers in some counties. Like 26 for Wicklow. Half of those probably won't pass all the stages (I think someone quoted that figure before) so it seems surprisingly small.

I wonder is the union pushing for lots of civil servants to get transfers first out of Dublin to the regions and thus reducing demand. A lot of people I know who are in the civil service seem to get into Dublin first and then transfer out.

All we can hope is that they will quickly call other batches.

I do agree that they need to be more transparent about the stages. It was not clear to anyone that stage 1 would create an oom. The last eo campaign the oom wasn't created until stage 2a was done.

People coming in the top 10 on oom must be nearly getting every single question right on stage 1. Are people doing prep courses or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Grovekid

Anyone from kerry get called for interview lately? If so what batch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭leex

I understand test is online. Do candidates have to log into regular publicjobs site for this or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

leex wrote: »
    I understand test is online. Do candidates have to log into regular publicjobs site for this or how does it work?

It's very straightforward, just input your candidate ID (which will be on a piece of paper given to you at check in) and your D.O.B. onto the log in page which will be already up on the computer assigned to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Ernesto Guevara

Joe222 wrote: »
    Are there less people being called in this campaign compared to 2016? There seem to be very small numbers in some counties. Like 26 for Wicklow. Half of those probably won't pass all the stages (I think someone quoted that figure before) so it seems surprisingly small.

I wonder is the union pushing for lots of civil servants to get transfers first out of Dublin to the regions and thus reducing demand. A lot of people I know who are in the civil service seem to get into Dublin first and then transfer out.

All we can hope is that they will quickly call other batches.

I do agree that they need to be more transparent about the stages. It was not clear to anyone that stage 1 would create an oom. The last eo campaign the oom wasn't created until stage 2a was done.

People coming in the top 10 on oom must be nearly getting every single question right on stage 1. Are people doing prep courses or what?

It just varies county by county, Westmeath for instance called into the 130s I think for stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ismisebridget

Hi guys

I got called for the tipperary one but it is Waterford I want to get. If I go to this will I be called separately again for Waterford which is my first preference?

Aside from passport photos and I D what do I need to bring with me tomorrow?

I am in two minds about going to be honest as I have to leave the house at 7am to get the first train and then hang around for an hour in Dublin before going in and then back down on the train to mind a 12 month old baby for the rest of the night.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Hi guys

I got called for the tipperary one but it is Waterford I want to get. If I go to this will I be called separately again for Waterford which is my first preference?

Aside from passport photos and I D what do I need to bring with me tomorrow?

I am in two minds about going to be honest as I have to leave the house at 7am to get the first train and then hang around for an hour in Dublin before going in and then back down on the train to mind a 12 month old baby for the rest of the night.

Thanks

You only do each stage once and it counts for both areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Clintewub

Has anyone considered the fact that the Dept of Social Protection has outsourced quite a lot of their work to Seetac/Turas nua, therefore there is going to be very few opportunities if any in this department countrywide. There is obviously going to be a surplus of staff that would normally do the work that this private company are now doing. Point being is that in this particular department and possibly many others there is going to be very little placements. Surplus staff will have to find something to keep themselves occupied and no chance for any newcomers. Maybe someone can add to this with insider information as I don't have any, however I think this is possibly one of the reasons for slow progress through the stages at present plus going back to the 2016 panels. Just my 10 cents worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭busy_mom

Caoimhe2 wrote: »
    has anyone being called for Cavan yet?

Top 50 were called to Stage 2 this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sfox87

Clintewub wrote: »
    Has anyone considered the fact that the Dept of Social Protection has outsourced quite a lot of their work to Seetac/Turas nua, therefore there is going to be very few opportunities if any in this department countrywide. There is obviously going to be a surplus of staff that would normally do the work that this private company are now doing. Point being is that in this particular department and possibly many others there is going to be very little placements. Surplus staff will have to find something to keep themselves occupied and no chance for any newcomers. Maybe someone can add to this with insider information as I don't have any, however I think this is possibly one of the reasons for slow progress through the stages at present plus going back to the 2016 panels. Just my 10 cents worth.

You do know that not all the jobs will be in the dept. of Social Protection. You could end up anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sinny65

How are people finding stage 2 ? I was up yesterday , found the numerical tricky , verbal & error checking were grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lisah77

sinny65 wrote: »
    How are people finding stage 2 ? I was up yesterday , found the numerical tricky , verbal & error checking were grand

Was the error checking the same format on their public jobs practice page or was it different?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭sinny65

Lisah77 wrote: »
    Was the error checking the same format on their public jobs practice page or was it different?

It was exactly same format

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Clintewub wrote: »

Some would argue that Turas Nua / Seetac are doing the work of the old Fás staff who were under staffed and under resourced in the area of employment support services, and that they're engagement has no real impact on the work of DEASP.

However in general, there is no doubt that with an increase in outsourcing and the privatisation of public sector services, there are going to be less public sector jobs. In addition, I don't think there is any ambition to fully staff the public sector. Politically its better to be under staffed that over staffed.

In saying that negativity isn't going to get us anywhere so stay positive :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Molly2016

sinny65 wrote: »

I found the numerical hard aswell the other two were okay but maths section don’t know if I passed

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭foreverme

Does anybody know what tests are being used this year? Are they Saville tests? I know last year was cut -e and they were really hard to do. I'm doing my test next week and I want to practice as much as I can. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ismisebridget

Hi, I just came back from Dublin where I did the exam. We were given less time than I expected. We started at exactly midday and by 1:30 we were all done. I ran out of time with the second and third part. The numerical part was alot harder than I expected even with the help of a calculator (and I love numbers!). Ah well. They said we will find out how we did by email some time in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doc22

In my opinion numerical was hard, verbal was easy and error checking is hard to tell. how far did they go up in the batches?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dublingreen

Hi, i'm considering sending an application for this before the deadline closes next week.

Is it only your current/most recent employer you need to provide a reference from?

Also would being a fluent Irish speaker be of any advantage in any Dublin department?

• Advertisement

Hi, i'm considering sending an application for this before the deadline closes next week.

Is it only your current/most recent employer you need to provide a reference from?

Also would being a fluent Irish speaker be of any advantage in any Dublin department?

This thread is for the clerical officer country wide post for which applications have already closed.
    What job are you applying for?

Advertisement