Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's you're Yearly goals coming along???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

jive wrote: »
    Assuming commuting every day you’d be getting roughly 46*5*2 or 460 rides in a year.

serious commute, especially with all the elevation:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

jive wrote: »
    Assuming commuting every day you’d be getting roughly 46*5*2 or 460 rides in a year.

Yep - I'm at 523 rides YTD!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I hadn't really set myself a target for this year but I am on 4,457km so far. I'd like to get myself to 5,000km but not sure how much I'll get in between now and the end of the year.

I'm going to set myself a 6k target for next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Not going to hit my 10,000kms this year unfortuntaly but I haven't had a cycle commute at all this year so 7000 odd still feels fairly respectable. Still going to try for the 100.000m of climbing tho, about 8500m shy of it at the moment, might just concentrate on that rather than distance now for the next two or three weeks, if the weather stays ok I don't see what not

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

back on 12th Jan...
    andy69 wrote: »
    Big one for me this year:

Geneva-Nice (Route des Grande Alpes) in August :eek:

So of course that means a couple of training camps to get the body tuned up and ready for a 7 or 8 days-in-a-row block of riding like that...
    - Training Camp in Malaga in March
    - Training Camp in Calpe in June

Shedload of sportives here too (Orwell Randonnee, Mt.Leinster, Mick Byrne, Tour de KK to name but a few!)
    There, I've said it now..no going back :D

Done, done, aaaaaand done!

Broke through the 10,000km mark there last week. Clocked (climbed) up over 85,500m of elevation in the process. Happy out!

Gonna take it back a notch for next year and train with the missus to get her up a level and do the 'biggies' (Mt.Leinster/Orwell/Mick Byrne). Week in Spain already booked :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Reached my goal of 20,000kms today. :)

(I also had an elevation goal of 150,000m which I passed a couple of months ago).

TIGESWEh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Right that's it, I'm not playing this game anymore ....
    Serious kudos btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Brilliant - well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

(I also had an elevation goal of 150,000m which I passed a couple of months ago).

33 1/2 full days on the bike, so allowing for 12 hours off per day between sleeping and eating etc that's over 2 months of daytime that you spent on the bike :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

“The gross and net result of it is that people who spent most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles...when a man lets things go so far that he is more than half a bicycle, you will not see him so much because he spends a lot of his time leaning with one elbow on walls or standing propped by one foot at kerbstones.”
    ― Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My total for the year so far is 15,142kms, compared to 15,102 kms for last year.
    No commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Got back on the bike today after 7 weeks off it with back issues. Took it handy just to get the relevant muscles working again. Had several false dawns including burying the mother yesterday but finally got out which was liberating in more ways than one. Won't get to 4,000km but hey ho, there's always 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Wasn't looking good at the beginning of the month but, thanks to quite a few club spins, I've just 240km to go to hit the 10,000 target for the third year in a row. Hopefully the weather will cooperate next week and my current puncture jinx will come to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    Hit the 6,000 km target at the weekend, happy days, no commuting km. Hopefully will hit 7,000 km for the year.

Eventually broke through the 7k barrier this morning, a bit of twinge in the back since yesterday, hopefully okay to attempt Rapha 500 to hit 7500 for the year , fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Made it through the 5,000 outdoor kilometer mark on Christmas Eve.

Thought about the Festive 500, but when I was saying I'd reached my target for the year I got an only slightly tongue in cheek "good, you don't have to go out on the bike until next year then" from swmbo :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Ended October needing 600km to hit 6000km, spent pretty much all of November sick, only managing a couple of spins, December was busy with Christmas stuff and now I've a rotten sore throat. Still 212 short of the goal and it aint gonna happen. Ah well.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Made it through the 5,000 outdoor kilometer mark on Christmas Eve.

Thought about the Festive 500, but when I was saying I'd reached my target for the year I got an only slightly tongue in cheek "good, you don't have to go out on the bike until next year then" from swmbo :eek::D

Am I the only one who finds that festive 500 really annoying?
    I'm no fan of raphe at the best of times, but I think Christmas is a time for family and sitting back and chilling out and enjoying the time off, not spending 20hrs of a week indulging in what is for most of us just a hobby, neglecting those around us. Lets face it, they are a lot of people who are addicted on cycling, I've tried myself to strike a much better balance this year, and that addiction causes issues in relationships etc. I'm not comfortable with the idea of a company encouraging people to spend 20+ hours a week away from their family on what is probably the most important family time of the year.
    Just my opinion.
    500km in any week is seriously tough, let alone this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

Not my goal yesterday- 4500km so delighted as the 2nd year in a row to make it to the goal.

No improvement on last year in km but feeling stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Had a 10, 000k goal but two injuries out paid to that unfortunately. I will have somehow managed to scrape to 7,500 by year end which I'm pretty pleased with.

Roll on an injury free 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

terrydel wrote: »
    I'm just jealous more than annoyed! :D

One of my unwritten goals was to try to fit my training in more around family life. They lived with it through my (even more) obsessive weight loss period, I kinda felt everything and not just my weight had to go back into maintenance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

terrydel wrote: »

Terry you're just grumpy from being under the weather, I'm managing to spend lots of time with family and do the Rapha, early morning spins while they are tucked away in bed , happy New year to you and family.

secman wrote: »
    Terry you're just grumpy from being under the weather, I'm managing to spend lots of time with family and do the Rapha, early morning spins while they are tucked away in bed , happy New year to you and family.

Haha, I got Mr grumpy underwear fir Christmas so you might be right!
    Happy new year to you and yours too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Was all set to hit 10,000 then injury and seasonal depression happened. Will end up with a shade over 7,000 in the bank. My biggest annual total but yet I still feel disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Scraped through the ten thousand kilometer mark yesterday but considerably down compared to previous years.
    I am not doing as many long distance commutes as before,am doing more and more gravel/boreen/back of beyond cycles and have substituted some rides for very long walks instead,still very happy with what I’ve accomplished though.

Here’s to a great 2019 and a HNY to everyone on this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Gerry

Very happy with the year on balance. Didn't do many long road spins and had a few spills from MTB which set me back a bit. Still, enjoyed the mb200 and the 3 enduros. Didn't put many km in until I changed jobs and started commuting again, total was 4272km and 42799m climbing, and a decent improvement on fitness year on year. Happy new year all.

9 stitches total this year, 7 planned or 'elective' and 2 from a cut. Strava tells me I did 3011km . Glad that wasn't 2997km or there bouts or I'd have walked the bike to get to 3k :D

Did at least 700km in the middle of the night after feeding the baby on a 4km loop I did 4 or 5 times a go when it made no sense to go back to bed and I just got in the habit of leaving the gear and bike ready and then the school run with the eldest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Smashed all of them apart from the weight loss one. Got most of that and then hit the Xmas hols and beers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

I'm 1,123km short of my goal of 6,000km. I injured my hamstring after the Reservoir Dog in Sept and spent the last four months trying to fix that. I'm on the mend, and will be back regularly on the bike soon, but I was pretty disappointed to not hit that goal. I did 5,000km in a 017 and was definitely on course to hit 6 this year until mother nature intervened.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

4,187k for the year, well short of what i was aiming for.
    A combination of a new job with a shorter commute and doing very little after a 2 week holiday at the end of august killed any hope i had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

100,287 metres of climbing for the year with a day to spare, pretty happy with that. Though still well over 2k shy of my 10k distance goal but considering spent all of January still recovering from surgery and most of August and all of September hiking in India I'm happy with that too. Great year of cycling, snow, sun, torrential rain, you name it, it had everything.

Advertisement