Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declare your intentions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Big one for me this year:

Geneva-Nice (Route des Grande Alpes) in August :eek:

So of course that means a couple of training camps to get the body tuned up and ready for a 7 or 8 days-in-a-row block of riding like that...
    - Training Camp in Malaga in March
    - Training Camp in Calpe in June

Shedload of sportives here too (Orwell Randonnee, Mt.Leinster, Mick Byrne, Tour de KK to name but a few!)

I've nothing booked except Malaga at the moment but will have that all sorted over the next week :cool:.

There, I've said it now..no going back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I want to pass 5000km this year.
    Cycle into work more days than drive (driven 2 cycled 3 so far - winning!)
    Do a 160km event (my longest is 130)
    Maybe join a club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

ford2600 wrote: »
    Nice airport best option?

Lack or preparation; fitness or logistics?

A sound thrashing from both tbh. Then a one-two knock out from weather and cultural adjustment.

Nice is further away than Marseilles. No transport options to the start, either, other than car rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

For anyone who's done a few sportives and fancies doing something a bit different in 2018/2019, I recommend trying to complete a Super Randonnuer series this year. That's a series of 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km rides. There are at least three 600 km rides starting this year in Connaught, Dublin and Belfast. It would be possible to complete all the rides during the summer.

If you do, it is one of the qualifiers for Paris-Brest-Paris in 2019. Paris-Brest-Paris is 1230km over a maximum of 90 hours and the oldest long distance race. If you've ever wanted to feel what it's like to ride the Tour de France with incredible support from Breton locals, then this ride for you. It's hard, you'll never be on a sportive like it, riders from all over the world take part but the atmosphere is fantastic and the medal is awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Is it going ahead as a UCI 2.2 this year? Don't think they can find a sponsor. Lot of talk of it going to a 5 day amateur race.

Goals for me:
    Get down to 66kg without losing power
    Get to A1
    Race a few CAT 2 races over in the UK.

It is indeed going ahead, using contingency fund for 2018 in the hope of finding a sponsor thereafter (and ideally someone for 2018). Would be a real shame to lose it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Bambaata wrote: »
    It is indeed going ahead, using contingency fund for 2018 in the hope of finding a sponsor thereafter (and ideally someone for 2018). Would be a real shame to lose it!

I knew it was going ahead I just wasn't sure in what capacity as it seemed vague enough from what was stated.

It would be alright but talking to a lot of lads who've ridden it throughout the years they seem to think it going back to an amateur event would be better.

It'd still be the biggest amateur event in the country with a real possibility of lads within a club going for a stage win, which in turn would help promote said club.

I've heard a lot of talk of people getting a bit irritated with the current setup. Lads coming over from the continent, getting handy enough points, taking the prize money and basically getting very little if any return from it. I know Morton won a stage there 2 years ago and it was great to see but it's an irregularity.

Having never competed in it I can't really pass comment on it, just what I've heard from lads who have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wicklow 200.
    2 stages of the waw sportive in donegal
    7000k+
    Get down to 70kg again
    Complete a strava gran fondo for every month of the year.
    Stocking lane - kippure in under an hr
    Do more duathlons/adventure races

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

My big goal for 2018 is to get upgraded to A3. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Still computing....

Want to do more Audax

Want to do a touring weekend

Want to explore more gravel

Possibly try a TT as putting out constant power on the flat seems to be the only thing I don't suck at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

retalivity wrote: »
    Stocking lane - kippure in under an hr

Yes. That's been on my hitlist for a while. I'm about 30 seconds off. Just need a stiff North wind that makes a swing around to the east at the last minute haha 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

andy69 wrote: »
    Big one for me this year......
    Mick Byrne....
    You may do the full one this year so. No scurrying off on the 160 route!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Join a club
    Average 100k a week. 5200k
    Complete at least 1 sportive a month (April - Oct)
    Increase w/kg > 3.7

All of the above should be easier than running 2018k in 2018. 50k behind pace already :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Still haven't really set any firm goals for 2018 but by way of a self administered kick up the Orse I've signed up for the Kingsmountain 200 next Saturday.

Only my second Audax event (assuming I've got a place) and my second 100k+ spin of 2018 but feeling phlegmatic. If I can find a reliable indicator of the Kingsmountain itself I might just singlespeed it for the craic. (is it bigger than the Howth Head, Naul or Snowtown climbs?)

Beyond this and definitely wanting to do a relatively genteel bit of B&B weekend touring during the spring/summer I've started to entertain impure thoughts of doing a proper 400+ endurance event (a past life has given me plenty of experience of sleeping in ditches and being miserable for days on end) this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Get back on the bike...

1. Over 5,000km for the year, 6,000+ would be nice
    2. Over 50,000m climbing edit: 75,000m, 50k m is actually going to be easy to achieve
    3. Sign up for multiple events (already done 1 with 5 more upcoming)
    4. Lose 8.5kg to get to 75kg, already down 3.5kg in Jan :)
    5. Do a couple of half marathons at some point
    6. Buy a elec shifting, disc braking Canyon as a present to myself
    7. Break at least half a dozen of my 2013 Strava PBs to prove I'm back to where I was back then
    8. Try and get to 80km Eddington

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Get up the Shay Elliot without blowing up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My only real goal the last few years was to be able to stay with the fast group in our club for club spins which are usually 100k-130k spins.
    Not an easy task considering 90% of them are lean machines unlike myself :P

This year im not so sure what my goals are but i might need to revise things.
    Last September i had to drop out of the fast group spins as i developed an issue with my right knee.
    My theory and consultants also is ive been over doing it to stay with the fast group and putting too much pressure on the right leg to compensate for poorly left leg as i found i was pushing the big gears a lot more and for lot longer periods to stay with these boys.

See this old post from back in 2013 which explains more about my bad leg.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86431922

These last few months ive being going out with our "sportive group" [basically shorter and slower] with the intention of hooking up with the faster lads when both form and knee allows it which i feel is about now as ive felt really good on our spins the last while and also in our winter spinning sessions, infact its feeling a bit too easy recently.
    The thing is my heart wants to but my head,consultant and missus suggest stay where i am.
    I did feel a very slight niggle in the right knee wednesday night during spinning again under heavy load but nothing major, it may well be the warning sign i needed to just stay where i am for the year ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Somehow justify €135 for a racing license, wont lie A3 is scaring the be jaysus out no me. Strongly suspect I am developing a dodgy right knee knee choosing ignorance at this stage.

Wicklow 200 the non racing aim in which I want to beat last year's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

2 goals for the year.
    Do 100% of the Evil 200 and get under 10 minutes on Kilmashouge.

Done all the Evil but don't think ill get near my goal of under 10 minute on Kilmashouge.
    I done 10.46 last week which is 30 seconds slower than my PR but i nearly had a heart attack at the top.
    But it was my 50th time up there in just 4 years of cycling so i decided to set myself a new goal for this year.
    100 total times up there by year end. So that would be 50 more in just over 3 months compared to the previous 50 in 4 years.
    I've done 3 since then so 47 more left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Race Around Ireland Ultra at the end of August. I'm good for the distance, I've just got to get faster!

In Audax terms I'd like to complete my 5th Randonnuer Round the Year in a row. I also want a Randonnuer 10,000 medal so I'll be riding a Super Randonnuer 600 in May somewhere in Wales.

Completed the Ultra, and rode that Super Randonée in Wales. Three more rides and that's the 5th RRTY under the belt.

Goals achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Boscoirl wrote: »
    6000km Distance Target. (Only managed 4200 of last years target of 5000, I blame getting married :) )

Have signed up for a few Sportives
    SRAC
    Tour De Connemara
    Ring of Clare
    Wicklow100
    Ring of Kerry(when it opens)
    And will prob do a few local ones also.

Hope to take part in Club Racing this year. Will do the TTs at the very least.

Going to fail on my yearly target, only 3,800km so far

Managed to do the SRAC, Connemara, ROK, Ring of Clare, and added the Boyne valley
    Bailed on the WW100

And didn’t manage any Club Racing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

07Lapierre wrote: »
    14,000k by 31:12:18
    Finish the etape before the broom wagon
    Buy a new bike!
    Learn how to do a Track stand
    Win a race, any race!
    Don’t crash!

Finished the Etape
    Bought a new bike
    Didn't crash! (So far)

Still working on the other three.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 saganfan

I'm going to aim for 10,000km. Will hit about 6k for this year and will have a longer commute ahead of me. Won't be travelling during the summer so will have more time to cycle.

Not sure about sportives. This year I did the Wicklow 200 which I doubt I'll top for personal achievement in Ireland. I don't fancy paying over 70 for a sportive with questionable food and organisation - might be worth cycling the route though.

I'd like to do the Reservoir Dog again. I thought that was a great sportive and very well organised.

Sometimes I think it's nice just to cycle and forget about goals, speed and all the other numbers. It's nice to spend time outdoors and experience the scenery and nature around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    First intention to get my back sorted, I'm just about to go in to a physio session.
    Secondly I've set a target of 6k km which I fell short of by a measly 92km last year due to back problem in December.
    Lastly, Hopefully stay fit and healthy :)

Update: given the go ahead to try a spin on Sunday.... fingers crossed 🀞

Got back on bike mid Feb and left the target at 6,000 km. As of yesterday I'm currently just over 5,550 , well on target, hopefully will hit 7,000 km.

Cycle 12000km
    Bring ftp up 5%
    Manage to survive in A1 races (and hopefully score some points)
    Ride Ras (long shot, would need to find a team!)

Have to say ive had a good year! Lots to improve on with a new, less stressful job soon to start which will allow me step it up a notch next year!
    • Well on course to 12k, at 11k now and hopefully closer to 14k for the year
    • FTP went up about 6%, more importantly ability to go super threshold, recover, repeat, repeat, repeat etc improved a lot so not so concerned about FTP
    • Won an A1 race! First open race win since A4!
    • Got around Ras and if going ahead next year have a team sorted already

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Have to say ive had a good year! Lots to improve on with a new, less stressful job soon to start which will allow me step it up a notch next year!
    • Well on course to 12k, at 11k now and hopefully closer to 14k for the year
    • FTP went up about 6%, more importantly ability to go super threshold, recover, repeat, repeat, repeat etc improved a lot so not so concerned about FTP
    • Won an A1 race! First open race win since A4!
    • Got around Ras and if going ahead next year have a team sorted already

Fair play. Supposed to be hearing about whether or not it's going ahead pretty soon I think. I remember reading that a decision would be made early October.

If you don't mind me asking, what figure did the 6% increase end up giving you in terms of w/kg? No problem if you'd rather not discuss.

I went from about 4.3 w/kg to 4.6 w/kg comparing to where i was last summer to pre-season test this year. Didnt test in season and i was wiped out by Ras for about 6-8 weeks (particularly bad for 3-4 weeks after with a lingering affect most of the summer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Still working on the other three.
    Have you something with flat pedals?
    find a little incline and roll to stop up it, twist the bars, and rock as slow as you can

I use my knee on the crossbar to steady the bike.
    and relax. You are now trackstanding.

level up to tracksitting, just use 2 or 3 gears easier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »
    5,000km and race the club leagues.

Signed up for SRAC, and there's a few more sportives I've my eye on (Blackstairs, Orwell and the Wolftrap), but not ready to commit yet!
    At 3880km outdoors, so still on track.

Raced the club leagues - did the spring league, had my best result in race 1 of the summer league, and then Moynalty GP happened!

Didn't do SRAC or Blackstairs. I did do the Orwell, and made my audax debut with the Mick Bryne and (properly) The Dying Cow.

Still deciding on the Wolftrap. It'll probably depend on whether I get the dynamo hub or not, which would open the winter Audax.

Next years goals are already proving harder. I really want to go back racing (I don't have any fear of crashing), but elevated consequences for the next year or two with work mean I can't really afford another spell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

daragh_ wrote: »
    Sit in a follow car for 70+ hours and shout at NamelessPhil to go faster. Eat a lot of Haribo.

I'll probably do some cycling as well.

Completely failed at the former (sorry NamelessPhil). Still working on the latter. Anyone who was watching the CX in Grangecastle could justifiably say I've really no business being on a bike. My bruised ribs would agree :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Have you something with flat pedals?
    find a little incline and roll to stop up it, twist the bars, and rock as slow as you can

I use my knee on the crossbar to steady the bike.
    and relax. You are now trackstanding.

level up to tracksitting, just use 2 or 3 gears easier

Thanks for the tips. So far i've been using traffic lights on my commute to practice track stands. Probably not the best idea as the fear of falling on or under a car (and the embarrassment if i fell in public) means i don't do it too often.

I really need to take the time to practice at home in private! :)

Advertisement