Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Drumm guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

wont change much , if anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Photocall-96-SEAN-FITZPATRICK1.jpg-000782211-390x285.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,886 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

badtoro wrote:
    Nope, not all of us.

Every one did.
    It might be huge grants while in third level. It might just be very low tax.

The only ones not parting were in prison

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Every one did.

i didnt necessarily party, thankfully, i realised it was all a bit of a scam, particularly the housing market

• Advertisement

Every one did.

Wrong. Some people continued the frugal and prudent lifestyle they always lead. Lower tax rates are hardly a "party".

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

garlic man had his sentence reduced to 2 years on appeal. And garlic man got temporary release in 2013 to serve the rest of his sentence from home.
    Never liked garlic man anyway, the smell off his breath was unreal when he boasted of all the money we made.

Wanderer78 wrote:
    i didnt necessarily party, thankfully, i realised it was all a bit of a scam, particularly the housing market

You claim that now yet you lived the system we all did at the time.

Do you think it normal to be paid 25 percent not interest but in bonus money if you save X amount? With a special saving account? We paid our oaps the highest rate in europe. Our unemploymed got the highest rate in the EU. Children allounce again the highest rate in the EU.
    We all partied either from ridiculously low tax (we still hadn't paid off the 1970's debt) to ridiculously high wages and social benefits. I doubt there a man, woman or child alive who didn't party knowingly or not

Wrong. Some people continued the frugal and prudent lifestyle they always lead. Lower tax rates are hardly a "party".

No. How innocent can you be. We all partied from tax breaks and social welfare that we couldn't afford. We are actually still doing it today

No. How innocent can you be. We all partied from tax breaks and social welfare that we couldn't afford. We are actually still doing it today

If you can't make out the nuances and subtleties between those who actively lived the life flaithulach and those who occupied the same airspace but remained frugal then i wont burden your mind any further with this difficult concept.

• Advertisement

You claim that now yet you lived the system we all did at the time.

Do you think it normal to be paid 25 percent not interest but in bonus money if you save X amount? With a special saving account? We paid our oaps the highest rate in europe. Our unemploymed got the highest rate in the EU. Children allounce again the highest rate in the EU.
    We all partied either from ridiculously low tax (we still hadn't paid off the 1970's debt) to ridiculously high wages and social benefits. I doubt there a man, woman or child alive who didn't party knowingly or not

fair point, but by pure chance really, i realised this housing stuff was a scam, and disturbingling we ve changed little or nothing that actually caused the crash in the first place, so role on 'the great moderation part deux', to be followed by the next crash, and then see if we can figure all this stuff out. oh and dont mind that nonsense of 'living beyond our means', and national debt isnt really our 'debt burden', its actually private debt, which in fact is created by banks, which in fact still create the majority of our money

If you can't make out the nuances and subtleties between those who actively lived the life flaithulach and those who occupied the same airspace but remained frugal then i wont burden your mind any further with this difficult concept.

Ah bless.

We all lived the life. No one refused the ridiculous social welfare, low income tax of the 25 percent free money from the special savings account.

To suggest that anyone benefits from the ridiculous budgets we had yet did not party is self delusional. If you lived in Ireland between 1997 and 2007 then you were part of the party. I don't understand how someone can benefit from it yet not to party to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Every one did.

I'll leave you with your delusion.

Wanderer78 wrote:
    fair point, but by pure chance really, i realised this housing stuff was a scam, and disturbingling we ve changed little or nothing that actually caused the crash in the first place, so role on 'the great moderation part deux', to be followed by the next crash, and then see if we can figure all this stuff out. oh and dont mind that nonsense of 'living beyond our means', and national debt isnt really our 'debt burden', its actually private debt, which in fact is created by banks, which in fact still create the majority of our money

My adult children in their 20s, their children and possibly their grandchildren might disagree with you as they pay for our "parting" in the decades to come.

badtoro wrote:
    I'll leave you with your delusion.

If you want but I'm still paying for your parting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

If you want but I'm still paying for your parting

Some people partied and spent everything they got, and all they could get in credit as well. Other more wise people took a leaf out of the story of Joseph and the Pharaoh in the bible and used the good times to put aside money for the inevitable bad times that follow.

My adult children in their 20s, their children and possibly their grandchildren might disagree with you as they pay for our "parting" in the decades to come.

this is to some degree true, but a very wrong way of looking at it, we ve all been told, we have been living beyond our means, this is largely bull****. we have been sold a pup, in the form of what we commonly call 'the market'. we have been told its best to privatise anything that walks, and this 'the market' will provide all of our social needs, more bull****! we have allowed a network of financial institutions, i.e. banks, the right to print money at will, and in turn, effectively sell this to us in the form of debt. this has not been rectified, the creation of money should in fact be a public utility, operated under democratic control and not by our current plutocratic way. you will actually find the only ones truly partying with all this are the minorities that have control of these complex systems and processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i didn't necessarily party, thankfully, i realised it was all a bit of a scam, particularly the housing market

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No. How innocent can you be.
    Ah bless.

Whats next, "oh my sweet summer child" as you stroke your manbeard? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Drumm was a scapegoat.
    Many others should be in jail.

Drumm was a scapegoat.
    Many others should be in jail.

thousands like him around the world should have been jailed, this has changed nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ireland largely got what it deserved when the crash happened. This is a country that thought Eddie Hobbs was a financial expert.

Ireland largely got what it deserved when the crash happened. This is a country that thought Eddie Hobbs was a financial expert.

no we didnt, what a dreadful globalised scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There were two crashes in Ireland - one we were not part of but greatly effected by and the one created by idiotic pro cyclical GUBU economics that we embraced.

There were two crashes in Ireland - one we were not part of but greatly effected by and the one created by idiotic pro cyclical GUBU economics that we embraced.

one of the same thing, shur look at the state of other European banks, its an absolute clusterfcuk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ok, I don't know all ins and outs of this case but I just want to comment on the judges summing up comments.

"Time spent in a US prison - should stand to his credit"

"Oh - he has suffered socially because of this"

The sympathetic tone here to me is just unbelievable. Especially the second comment I quoted - that applies to anyone who has been convicted who hitherto had an unblemished record and now outed as a criminal. Perhaps some have but this point was so prominent in news reports today. Clearly if one is upper/middle class the judge will take into account their social standing more so than if one were a working class criminal. It's just disgusting really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So now that it's all over. When is the USC getting removed from my payslip?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

TallGlass wrote: »
    So now that it's all over. When is the USC getting removed from my payslip?

Errr....... you do know income tax was introduced for that little scuffle with Napoleon?

The East Link toll would be removed when the bridge was paid for?

Taxes never go away.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/paschal-donohoe-usc-will-not-be-abolished-454190.html
    Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe has confirmed he is no longer seeking to abolish the Universal Social Charge (USC), as Fine Gael had vowed to do in the 2016 general election.

Mr Donohoe has said it is his intention to merge the USC with PRSI, as promised by Taoiseach Leo Varadkar.

Mr Donohoe said: “We have a new Minister for Finance and a new Taoiseach. We are entitled to make our assessments of the landing points for important policy areas such as this.

Pascal says you can fnck right off if you think you can hold him to his promises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

AllForIt wrote: »
    Ok, I don't know all ins and outs of this case but I just want to comment on the judges summing up comments.

"Time spent in a US prison - should stand to his credit"

"Oh - he has suffered socially because of this"

The sympathetic tone here to me is just unbelievable. Especially the second comment I quoted - that applies to anyone who has been convicted who hitherto had an unblemished record and now outed as a criminal. Perhaps some have but this point was so prominent in news reports today. Clearly if one is upper/middle class the judge will take into account their social standing more so than if one were a working class criminal. It's just disgusting really.

what article did you get those quotes from?

Advertisement