Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Drumm guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Odhinn wrote: »
    What kind of sentences are we looking at? Whats the maximum?

One of the charges against him is False Accounting which carries a maximum jail term of 10 years and/or Fine.

There's also a Fraud charge. That's either 5 or 10 years, not sure. Not that we use consecutive sentencing in this country.

The custody he did in US while awaiting trial will probably be taken in to consideration. Which will give the Judge a good out to throw a lenient sentence at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

M.Cribben wrote: »
    Did his lawyer not go for the "difficult upbringing, no father, alcoholic mother, failed by the education system but now enrolled in forklift operator fas course and has brought 200 euro to Court for the poor box" defence? That usually gets the perpetrator off with a suspended sentence.

I thought it was the "posh good boy does something bad in a moment of madness" defence that usually wields dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'll only support a suspended sentence if it means suspended from his gonads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

2 years isnt a sentence! They defaulted our country of billions you think the normal joe soap would get 2 years!!! Joke of a country.. we'd be doing life! I easily go to jail for 2 years if at the end of it, I come out with millions I'll even take my chances in the Joy for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

In the US he would get pretty much a life sentence, over here he will get 4 and he will be out in 1-2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

M.Cribben wrote: »
    Did his lawyer not go for the "difficult upbringing, no father, alcoholic mother, failed by the education system but now enrolled in forklift operator fas course and has brought 200 euro to Court for the poor box" defence? That usually gets the perpetrator off with a suspended sentence.

Try 'well-respected family' and 'not likely to re-offend'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Benteke wrote: »
    In the US he would get pretty much a life sentence, over here he will get 4 and he will be out in 1-2 years

If he gets 4, he won't be out until he's done 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Sentence will be a joke as usual.

With the monetary figures involved, he and his kind have directly affected the population. People killed themselves directly over people like him and their actions, that financially pushed people over the edge.

To this day, I still have 'USC' on my payslip. He should get a starting sentence of minimum how long that has been in operation, following onto till it's removed from existence.

Imagine that, the USC tax itself, directly as a result of this misconduct and criminality has been in existence longer than the prison sentences the people who caused this mess got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'd be hoping he'd get at least 2 years or at worst 18 months. That will soften his cough. But knowing this country he'll only get a suspended sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

how much jail time is he looking at. difficult to prove, but how many suicides could be directly attributed to his fraud !! must be a fair few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Presumably he can (and will) appeal to a higher court ? This could drag on for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

2smiggy wrote: »
    how much jail time is he looking at. difficult to prove, but how many suicides could be directly attributed to his fraud !! must be a fair few.

Will his misses have to give the money back that he transferred into her account?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,968 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

fliball123 wrote: »
    Will his misses have to give the money back that he transferred into her account?

ya just heard on newstalk his son is graduating over in leafy Connecticut, and the wife and kids are still there. Should be going after that dosh too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Deutschland, Deutschland Uber allies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

There is already people in jail facing justice.

Weren't several of them subsequently let off, leaving only those who took instruction rather than those who gave it actually behind bars, in typical Irish fashion?

I could have sworn that there was a successful appeal in the previous Anglo case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

He's done 5 months in prison in the US already which the Judge here will factor in. He might also factor in that US prisons are much tougher than ours and allow for that too.
    So my guess is a 3 year sentence with 12 months off for time served and 12 months suspended. 1 year in Castlerea, out for Valentine's day 2019, maybe even for xmas if there's pressure on spaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

With Ireland seeming prepared to head back down the same road that led to the Celtic Tiger they should make an example out of David Drumm and give him a decent sentence that might scare the life out of any other corrupt bankers etc tempted to go down the same route. They're not likely to learn from others mistakes, or to have an attack of conscience, but they might just be put off by the thought of many years in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

El Weirdo wrote: »
    If he gets 4, he won't be out until he's done 3.

Time already served will come into it I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Aside from the massive fraud, cocky demeanor and those infamous tapes, I think Drumm showed his true colours in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlmjcW1O2YE

I wonder if he'll be as insolent to his prison mates as he was to Charlie Bird...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

He should be hanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He'll be pulling more than figures out of his ar$e now.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Delighted we have successfully prosecuted a white collar and banker crime. Hope he gets a significant sentence.

Need to send message to those committing fraud. It does hurt us all. We will be paying via tax for 30years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Did he say he was a member of the GAA?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Did he say he was a member of the GAA?

He’s a passionate St Pat’s fan. Hardly came up in evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Jesus, some crazy posting in here. Would be willing to bet that this time yesterday if a thread had been posted about the verdict being imminent, we’d have had the same hysteria about “the likes of him never get found guilty.”

Let’s see what sentence he gets and the rationale behind it before descending into a thread of comments which mostly belong on the Daily Mail website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Zebra3 wrote: »

Can only attend the K Club if signed in by another member?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He’s a passionate St Pat’s fan. Hardly came up in evidence.

Really??? :o

Anyway, AGS claimed he’s a flight risk. Judged released him on humanitarian grounds. :rolleyes:

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-anglo-ceo-david-drumm-facing-unlimited-maximum-jail-term-as-hes-found-guilty-of-conspiracy-to-defraud-and-false-accounting-36965049.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭skearnsot

Does anyone really think, based on our awful track record, that this banker is going to get a sentence? Its Ireland, where absolutely nobody is accountable and on the rare occasion a "higher-up" of society is arrested and charged, it will eventually come to nothing. He will get a little slap on the wrist, 5 years suspended and off he goes with his millions still stashed somewhere.

Just like the smear test scandal, blood scandal etc. absolutely NOBODY gets jail and the lawyers fatten their nests on bloated public enquiries which have no teeth.

And probably a seat on some committee or other (paid of course)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yeah you’re quite wrong actually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/anglo-trial-three-ex-bankers-jailed-over-7bn-fraud-1.2738637%3fmode=amp

Anglo trial: Three ex-bankers jailed over €7bn fraud

Former Anglo Irish Bank executive Willie McAteer has been sentenced to three and a half years in jail while his Anglo colleague John Bowe was given a two year term.

Denis Casey, the former group chief executive of Irish Life and Permanent, has been jailed for two years and nine months.

Give me a break they were just patsies thrown to an angry nation out for blood. Did Fingleton get jail? Nope. All the people who made up the figures to spin to the government that we "needed" the bank guarantee, where are they? Still in their plush offices counting their fat bonuses.

If Drumm got a sentence I would literally be amazed.Suspended one at most.

Advertisement