Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Drumm guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

The consequences of what Drumm did will be suffered far more in the next recession than they were in the recession we are coming out of. By then, Drumm will have been given his slap on the wrist and it will be to late for the vengeful to hang, draw and quarter him. As a Christian, I forgive him for the future suffering he will be responsible for.

Politicians were also culpable for the way they ran the country. Perhaps I misread the situation but I was surprised Bertie Ahern was not prosecuted and incarcerated for several decades along with a total confiscation of everything he owns for the way he ran the country. In any case, the next recession will be the one that carries the consequences of all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

The consequences of what Drumm did will be suffered far more in the next recession than they were in the recession we are coming out of. By then, Drumm will have been given his slap on the wrist and it will be to late to hang, draw and quarter him.

Does singling out a person have much of an effect on the workings of a complex system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭benny79

Forgive?? I don't know how you could! a lot of good people committed suicide because of his actions and them losing their homes and businesses! but yes he will be given a slap on the wrist and allowed to continue to live the high life!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I can't believe I'm saying this but I feel sorry for David Drumm.

I feel he was a scapegoat and a lot of others should be getting jail as well

You feel sorry for a convicted criminal who lied and tried to cover up his wrong doing without any admission of guilt or remorse?

Fck him.

Zebra3 wrote:
    You feel sorry for a convicted criminal who lied and tried to cover up his wrong doing without any admission of guilt or remorse?

To be fair, they have a point, this is a lot more complicated than just drumms wrong doings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Does singling out a person have much of an effect on the workings of a complex system?
    I edited what you quoted because you are right, Drumm was not the sole cause of the last recession.

I edited what you quoted because you are right, Drumm was not the sole cause of the last recession.

Even though it is right that he was found guilty, this goes far deeper than just him, I do fear, we re in serious trouble now

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Seanie should be sharing a cell with him by rights.

Fitzpatrick or Quinn? Fitzpatrick most likely instructed or at least advised him or what to do even if he wasn't the boss anymore.
    The steps Drumm took were a direct consequence of the mess Quinn got himself and Anglo into.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Forgive me if I am wrong here or using the wrong language but isn't Sean Quinn after Anglo/IBRC regarding claims he was pretty much duped?

Does the fact that Drumm and by default Anglo have been convicted of dodgy practices, will that affect Sean Quinn's claim against Anglo/IBRC?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Forgive me if I am wrong here or using the wrong language but isn't Sean Quinn after Anglo/IBRC regarding claims he was pretty much duped?

Does the fact that Drumm and by default Anglo have been convicted of dodgy practices, will that affect Sean Quinn's claim against Anglo/IBRC?

Sean Quinn built up a CFD stake of 28% in Anglo. Fitzpatrick and Drumm knew nothing of this so I can't see how he would have been duped.
    Sean Quinn didn't buy shares in Anglo. He basically bet on the share price to rise. When word got out on what he'd done the share price crashed. Anglo's dodgy practices due to Quinn being unable to meet mafmrgin calls on the CFDs were an attempt to stop the share price from crashing. So if you take Quinn out of the equation then it might be a completely different story.
    Drumm participated in other dodgy practices such as huge loans to himself but this on its would not have caused Anglo to collapse or had much effect on the average person like the way the collapse of Anglo had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Drumm due to be sentenced this morning. Any guesses for what he might get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: It might be a good idea to leave the speculation alone until the sentence is given.

It can't be long now anyway.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

MillField wrote: »

Long time coming. The others who were sentenced seem to be walking free despite the number of years they were given. I wonder how long he'll actually be behind bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Allinall

Wait for the....

Less time served.... suspended..... good behavior......He’ll be out in a week ....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Out in three.

How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Surprised at the length of the sentence. Was expecting 18 months or community service.hopefully a warning for others.

Now for Patrick Neary, John Hurley and the heads of the main banks in thiose early 2000s to face charges. I'd throw in the auditors as well....

Allinall wrote: »
    Wait for the....

Less time served....
    Already taken into account.
    suspended.....
    No.
    good behavior......He’ll be out in a week ....
    Remission of 25% is applied to most custodial sentences in Ireland. 4.5 years, min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Six years. Small potatoes. Probably be out after 2.5

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Out in three. Would make you proud to be Irish.

Out in four and a half unless I'm mistaken, assuming remission for good behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Surprised at the length of the sentence. Was expecting 18 months or community service.hopefully a warning for others.

Now for Patrick Neary, John Hurley and the heads of the main banks in thiose early 2000s to face charges. I'd throw in the auditors as well....

That’s all it is really, a warning. Not what he deserves.
    The rest of them must be laughing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Six years. Small potatoes. Probably be out after 2.5

Minimum he can serve is 4.5 years (on top of 0.5 already done in US).

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Out in three.

How does that work?
    It's just my guess. If he SERVED six years it might go some way to paying back the amount of human misery he played a huge part in causing. And keeping in mind the lengths to which he went to avoid facing justice at every turn, or to take responsibility for his actions, I think it's remarkably lenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Seems reasonable enough all things considered. It'll be nice to know that he's locked up, even if it's just for 3 or 4 years.

Is there any talk of going after the assets he transferred over to his wife? A lot of them should be considered proceeds of crime.

Out in three. Would make you proud to be Irish.

Out in four and a half unless I'm mistaken, assuming remission for good behaviour?
    Fair enough. I was hoping he'd get more like 8-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It's just my guess. If he SERVED six years it might go some way to paying back the amount of human misery he played a huge part in causing. And keeping in mind the lengths to which he went to avoid facing justice at every turn, or to take responsibility for his actions, I think it's remarkably lenient.

Remission in Ireland is a quarter, not half - maybe it's half in the UK or elsewhere, hence the confusion? So if he behaves himself, he can get it down to four and a half, but as far as I know that's the absolute limit as far as reduction in sentence goes.

Remission in Ireland is a quarter, not half - maybe it's half in the UK or elsewhere, hence the confusion? So if he behaves himself, he can get it down to four and a half, but as far as I know that's the absolute limit as far as reduction in sentence goes.

AFIAK, he can apply to the Minister for Justice to have it extended to 1/3. Not sure how easy it is or how often an application is granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Shure didnt we all party....

Advertisement