Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 12 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The first two betas were reported as having good performance, but with a lot of stability problems and general bugginess. Phone call issues, GPS issues, music playback issues, Reminders issues, Carplay issues, Facetime issues, battery life slightly worse, some apps don't respond to keyboard input, frequent re-springs, etc. As usual a few users claim it feels like an official release while others are clambering to downgrade and wondering why there are so many bugs.

Unless you have a spare device hanging around, everyone should steer clear until at least public beta 4 or 5 and even then many third party app won't work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely out of all betas this must be the safest as it's all about stability improvements.

I'd say it's safer to install than previous buggy betas of iOS 11.

Wouldn’t listen to this.

If you rely on your phone, particularly for third party apps. Just wait.

An iOS 12.0 beta cycle will go through a lot more drastic changes before final release in comparison to an 11.x.x Beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Wouldn’t listen to this.

If you rely on your phone, particularly for third party apps. Just wait.

An iOS 12.0 beta cycle will go through a lot more drastic changes before final release in comparison to an 11.x.x Beta.

Agreed. I've made the mistake before of joining the public beta of both macOS and iOS on my main devices from beta 1 and in no way was it worth it.

By all means go ahead and install if you have secondary devices that you are not worried about, but I would hold off for a while yet before installing any public beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

murpho999 wrote: »
    Surely out of all betas this must be the safest as it's all about stability improvements.

I'd say it's safer to install than previous buggy betas of iOS 11.

The first beta was supposed to be very stable/performant, even compared to the iOS 11.4 official release. This was probably coming from a lot of users on older devices that saw the speed increases.

I’ve seen a fair few complaints of beta 2 with bugs popping up more often than not. With any beta, there will be bugs that can affect day to day use drastically. The GPS bug makes it a no-go for me, same as decreased battery life.

That said, there’s been general concencous that it’s one of the more stable iOS beta releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I've installed the beta on my iPhone 7, and compared to 11.2 (I think) that I was running, it was very noticeably quicker which is very welcome. Not that it was painfully slow, but I was noticing lag with the keyboard and general navigation of the phone and loading times. All of these have been reduced. I'm going to put it on my iPad Air2 this evening as that is definitely very sluggish these days.

Not sure what the GPS issues are but I've just checked google maps and plotted a route home from work and it picked it up in no time at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s when you’re on the move the GPS fecks up. The blue dot is all over the place and can’t keep up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s when you’re on the move the GPS fecks up. The blue dot is all over the place and can’t keep up etc

maybe your car is too fast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

peteeeed wrote: »
    maybe your car is too fast :)

Lol, even when i was walking the gps couldn’t lock onto the phone properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'll check it out on the way home so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Installed on my iPad Air last night, significantly faster than 11.4. Admittedly I haven’t played around too much but the lagginess that was really annoying in Safari is gone now. That alone was worth the upgrade 🀙ðŸ»

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Doing that on 11.4 iPhone for me, in Spain trying to find my way around and it’s ridiculous

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Was happening to me a couple of weeks ago in London too, absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Finding that the battery drain is quite high on the PB. Wouldn't mind going back to the latest official version of iOS11, but when I go to Settings>General>Profiles to remove the beta profile, the screen says "No profile currently installed".

Can someone else on the iOS12 PB just have a look and see if the profile is showing up as it should, or if you're getting the same message as me.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

For some reason I lost all bar one of my backups of ios11 as soon as my first backup of ios12 went up. I had plenty of space as I'm on one of the icloud plans.
    The only backup was from back in February which is obviously wrong since I had backed it up before upgrading.
    The only reason I was trying to downgrade was because typing into safari scrolls down so you can't see what you're typing was a bit of a pain but nothing I can't live with so back to ios12.
    Its definitely the most stable ios release I've tested since ios5 but in fairness its more of an update than a whole new OS.

Blazer wrote: »
    For some reason I lost all bar one of my backups of ios11 as soon as my first backup of ios12 went up. I had plenty of space as I'm on one of the icloud plans.
    The only backup was from back in February which is obviously wrong since I had backed it up before upgrading.
    The only reason I was trying to downgrade was because typing into safari scrolls down so you can't see what you're typing was a bit of a pain but nothing I can't live with so back to ios12.
    Its definitely the most stable ios release I've tested since ios5 but in fairness its more of an update than a whole new OS.

The backups you make override the last one - regardless of what iOS version you are on. iCloud keeps only three archives of your backups at any time of the one phone setup.

ie Today, yesterday, Wednesday. (If you’re phone is backing up every 24 hours automatically).

The backup from February is most likely the last backup before you either changed phone or erased and set up your phone again as new. Or possibly even another iPhone / iOS device.

Try this to downgrade to iOS 11.4 keeping data intact - https://youtu.be/9ACouPt_wxY

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I always make an iTunes backup before installing a beta.

I think iCloud syncs most stuff now, so setting up as new isn't as painful as in the past. However, if the OS upgrades your iCloud account in any way, then sync often won't work with the downgraded OS.

The backups you make override the last one - regardless of what iOS version you are on. iCloud keeps only three archives of your backups at any time of the one phone setup.

ie Today, yesterday, Wednesday. (If you’re phone is backing up every 24 hours automatically).

The backup from February is most likely the last backup before you either changed phone or erased and set up your phone again as new. Or possibly even another iPhone / iOS device.

Try this to downgrade to iOS 11.4 keeping data intact - https://youtu.be/9ACouPt_wxY

The february one was the same device.
    I must give that video a shot although I might hang on until the next beta release and see if its fixed.

Blazer wrote: »
    The february one was the same device.
    I must give that video a shot although I might hang on until the next beta release and see if its fixed.

It may have been the same physical device but iCloud won’t keep a backup that far back unless you never backed up again after that. (highly unlikely). Trust me on that.

It may have been the same physical device but iCloud won’t keep a backup that far back unless you never backed up again after that. (highly unlikely). Trust me on that.

I might have set it up back then as a new device etc. My phone backs up automatically as its plugged in while I sleep so generally thats when most of the backups take place.
    I must delete that backup anyway and keep track.

• Advertisement

Public beta 2 is out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

How’s battery life on iOS 12 for those of you with an iPhone 7 Plus?

Mr.S wrote: »
    After playing around with iOS 12 for the last couple of weeks, the biggest improvement seems to be FaceID! On iOS11 it was very hard to unlock when your face was at an angle, or lying in bed, but now it works 99% of the time.

That news of FaceID is tremendous!
    I’d love to take a punt on it.. but I hear blutooth headphones are having issues.. so I shall ignore my inner curiosity a little longer.

That news of FaceID is tremendous!
    I’d love to take a punt on it.. but I hear blutooth headphones are having issues.. so I shall ignore my inner curiosity a little longer.

i have bose sports buds and they are working fine with 12

How’s battery life on iOS 12 for those of you with an iPhone 7 Plus?

beta 1 gave me big improvements while beta 2 took it away.
    Beta 3 seems to be doing ok for the moment.

Just installing Public Beta 2....wish me luck.

Well after installing yesterday, iOS12 is a game changer.

The grouped notifications are SAVAGE...but most importantly, the one thing i've hated about the iPhone X since day 1, was faceID being absolute rubbish, not any more, it works, flawlessly, every time.

eeloe wrote: »
    Well after installing yesterday, iOS12 is a game changer.

The grouped notifications are SAVAGE...but most importantly, the one thing i've hated about the iPhone X since day 1, was faceID being absolute rubbish, not any more, it works, flawlessly, every time.

You’ve sold me. FaceID hit and miss drives me mad.

Only thing i’ve found today was, someone called me on Facebook messenger today, tried to answer and it would only gimme audio, until FaceID picked up my face and it wouldn’t.

No major issue there really, this was the first video call I got on FB messenger, ever.

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    Only thing i’ve found today was, someone called me on Facebook messenger today, tried to answer and it would only gimme audio, until FaceID picked up my face and it wouldn’t.

No major issue there really, this was the first video call I got on FB messenger, ever.

Installed last night, no issues so far! FaceID works properly every time now :-)

Advertisement