Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 12 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I miss the battery usage standby amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

awec wrote: »
    In terms of mind share it is insignificant compared to Whatsapp. Whatsapp is ubiquitous.

The only things that come into my messages app are the two-factor auth codes. It doesn't matter how many talking faces Apple put into iMessage, it'll never become popular so long as it's Apple only. Why would people want one messaging thing to talk to their Apple friends when they can just use this other App that pretty much every single person has that does everything they want it to do.

Apple are trying really hard, the iMessage stuff gets a disproportionate amount of air time at the events in recent years. It'll never come close.

Since Imessage also does sms it actually has a higher potential audience. Probably most iOS users use messages more than WhatsApp which is a younger persons game.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Since Imessage also does sms it actually has a higher potential audience. Probably most iOS users use messages more than WhatsApp which is a younger persons game.

WhatsApp is actually more popular than SMS.

It is not a young person thing. I don’t think I have ever had a contact who wasn’t on WhatsApp.

Anyway, it definitely doesn’t have a higher potential audience given it’s Apple only.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I like iMessage a lot due to it's functionality but there is no way that Whats App is just a "younger persons game".

Whats App is used by all ages across all platforms. Very popular with fammily groups etc.

Limits for Whats App are infinite whilst IMessage is iOS only.
    By the way, hardly anybody uses SMS anymore. Why networks still push them is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

My 71 year old mum will be delighted that she'd be considered young cause she uses WhatsApp. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

12.1 public beta 1 is out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think most people forget that iMessage is SMS also so to speak. I don’t treat the iMessage service as iMessage on it’s own, I treat it as standard message service. I still use the standard text service for general day to day stuff. (iMessage/sms) depending on the other persons phone.

But, everything group related is WhatsApp. Family, friends, football, training etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Shred

I too much prefer iMessage and a few people I know fell into using WhatsApp because they were on shítty legacy plans where they were charged for texts, plus there's a 'trendy' aspect to using WhatsApp. The 'live' aspect of messages being retained is great too.

I'm liking 12 so far, it's nice and responsive across all of my devices. Small things are making a difference for me - finally being able to turn the flashslight on and off with Siri is great, not needing to say "Hey Siri" for the watch is a nice touch for when driving in particular, notifications grouping, being able to measure objects natively, increased palette for image markup etc. I see the Apple Pay app is showing on my watch now so hopefully that'll be activated soon. I also noticed that Dolby Atmos has finally been enabled on the Apple TV 4k - I'll be installing Atmos speakers next week so happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Much prefer iMessage over WhatsApp. I use iMessage for 'blue bubble' friends and WhatsApp for the green bubblers. Particularly as eir charge 25c for a picture text which is free using iMessage or WhatsApp!! Madness in this day and age!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was running the iOS 12 public beta over the summer, and everything was fine. When the official release cane out, I deleted the Beta profile, as I didn’t want to be getting the beta point releases. My profile list was empty, and the Feedback app disappeared (as expected).

Yesterday I checked Software update, and it said I was on the latest version (12.0), as expected.

However this morning I woke up to find my phone offering to install Beta 12.1. I went ahead, thinking maybe the final release version was out, but when it completed I see the Feedback app back, so it does appear that I’m back on the Beta. I still don’t have an profiles installed, so there’s nothing to delete (the Profile section isn’t present under Preferences > General), so I don’t know why I’ve been put back in the Beta releases, and I don’t know how to get off them.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

phutyle wrote: »
    I was running the iOS 12 public beta over the summer, and everything was fine. When the official release cane out, I deleted the Beta profile, as I didn’t want to be getting the beta point releases. My profile list was empty, and the Feedback app disappeared (as expected).

Yesterday I checked Software update, and it said I was on the latest version (12.0), as expected.

However this morning I woke up to find my phone offering to install Beta 12.1. I went ahead, thinking maybe the final release version was out, but when it completed I see the Feedback app back, so it does appear that I’m back on the Beta. I still don’t have an profiles installed, so there’s nothing to delete (the Profile section isn’t present under Preferences > General), so I don’t know why I’ve been put back in the Beta releases, and I don’t know how to get off them.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

Do a restore via iTunes and it should sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Thanks, I think I’ll live with the beta for a bit in that case. I already spent most of Friday afternoon doing multiple restores on my S4 Apple Watch because it wouldn’t allow me to turn off sounds on it or display 3rd party complications. My appetite for the rigmarole is somewhat diminished at present.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

My Xs Max auto updated to 12.1 Beta 1 last night, even tho i didn't authorize it...

running smoothly tho, so no biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭iniall

eeloe wrote: »
    My Xs Max auto updated to 12.1 Beta 1 last night, even tho i didn't authorize it...

running smoothly tho, so no biggie

I don't have auto-update turned on on my XS, but software update isn't showing anything available. Wonder if the update you auto-installed is Max-specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

iniall wrote: »
    I don't have auto-update turned on on my XS, but software update isn't showing anything available. Wonder if the update you auto-installed is Max-specific?

It would have been the iOS 12 Beta profile being installed on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Updated my x to 12 last night and have to say I’m very impressed phone is much snappier but can’t help but feel this is the software the x should have launched with last year instead of imo the unpolished turd that 11 was. Even Face ID seems a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Hey, could one of you good people explain to me something about iOS 12 please. Had a quick look through this thread and couldn’t find an answer.

To stop accidental App deletions in pre iOS 12 it was a case of setting up Restrictions in the Settings and not allowing Delete Apps. Now in iOS 12 it seems I have to have Screen Time constantly turned on in order to achieve the same result.

Is this the way it is now or have I missed something? Seemed more logical in the older iOS’s to just set up restrictions with a passcode without the need to have other elements running as well (Screen Time).

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yes, restrictions has been moved from settings > general to being included inside settings > screen time with iOS 12.

Public beta 2 is out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

peteeeed wrote: »
    Public beta 2 is out

This fixes the "Chargegate" issue.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    This fixes the "Chargegate" issue.

12.0.1 offially out and has fixed the charging issues apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Has also moved the button to go from letters to numbers back to the corner of the iPad screen which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Just installed on my 7. So far, so good. Less than 10 minutes total on my slow internet. Nice small download. Will probably only take 3 or 4 minutes on newer models.

Glad to hear they put the iPad keys back where they were. Will try it out later when I get a chance.

Peteeeed announcing new version here always beats the update available notification on my iPhone/iPad to the mark. Thanks Peteeeed :-)

duridian wrote: »
    Just installed on my 7. So far, so good. Less than 10 minutes total on my slow internet. Nice small download. Will probably only take 3 or 4 minutes on newer models.

Glad to hear they put the iPad keys back where they were. Will try it out later when I get a chance.

Peteeeed announcing new version here always beats the update available notification on my iPhone/iPad to the mark. Thanks Peteeeed :-)

No probs , I get it from the 9to5mac site

12.1 beta 3 is out

Beta 4 is out

Beta 5 is out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

12.1 will officially be out today as per Tim at the Apple Event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Installing atm iphone 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Updated my iPhone and MacBook with no issues, however my Apple Watch is stuck on the Apple logo. Tried hard resetting a few times, restarting iPhone too. Watch app can’t find it and I’ve no way of interacting with the watch while stuck on the logo.

Other than letting the battery die, does anybody know of another way of fixing the boot problem. I knew the watch was taking way too long to update, but nothing seems to have fixed it.

Advertisement