Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 12 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options
  • 04-06-2018 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭

The devoloper beta 1 is out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Installing on my iPhone X now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Installing on my iPhone X now

brave man, let me know how you get on

peteeeed wrote: »

So far it's very smooth. Definitely unlike previous betas. Liking it so far! Haven't seen any major bugs.

i have an ipad and a 7 plus so i'll download onto the ipad first when the public beta is released

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

11.4 turned my iPad Air into a slug... I have barely anything on it... Soooo slow!

• Advertisement

11.4 turned my iPad Air into a slug... I have barely anything on it... Soooo slow! Will 100% try 12 when the public beta is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This would should not be such a risk as it's designed to improve performance imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭brophs

iOs 12 allowing Google Maps to be used in Car Play will be great. Apple Maps are just a hot mess, when the voice recognition even works properly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Still no sign of Apple News in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭deep1

awec wrote: »
    Still no sign of Apple News in Ireland?

Change the Region to Uk and have it now, I am using it since launch and works great. You can add local news sources.

• Advertisement

Using iOS 12 and prob the best beta 1 I have ever had, only issue i have so far is can’t add recurring Calander events but other than than it is really smooth and fast. Can’t wait for further releases!

deep1 wrote: »
    Using iOS 12 and prob the best beta 1 I have ever had, only issue i have so far is can’t add recurring Calander events but other than than it is really smooth and fast. Can’t wait for further releases!

what about 3rd party app compatibility?

what about 3rd party app compatibility?

Haven’t had any issue myself, but here is list of app working , broken etc.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/-ios-working-broken-and-soso-apps.2121506/

Change the Region to Uk and have it now, I am using it since launch and works great. You can add local news sources.

Not a good solution for me as I wouldn't want it filling full of UK news.

What is the reason for it not being available in Ireland? It seems straghtforward.

Changing region is an awful bollocks, cancels all subscriptions etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

murpho999 wrote: »
    Not a good solution for me as I wouldn't want it filling full of UK news.

What is the reason for it not being available in Ireland? It seems straghtforward.

They have to curate news feeds for each country, make deals with publishers for exclusive content, integrate it into Siri, etc, otherwise it's just a glorified RSS reader (which is all the app really is anyway). It's only available in US, UK and Australia. I would see it as being tied up with Siri development, so any improvement, expansion is going to be slow going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Looks like Siri has a new Irish voice. You can check it out in the video around the 2 minute mark. Seems a lot better than the previous one which is a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

awec wrote: »
    Changing region is an awful bollocks, cancels all subscriptions etc.

It doesn’t. That’s if you change iTunes Store region. This is different.

Ah but then I have to stay in UK region forever, the app disappears as soon as I switch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

How are people finding the beta? Are the performance improvements noticeable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Not sure about performance but I'm finding battery life improved on my 7+.
    No issues with any apps not working so far.

uninstalled it on my ipx but installed it on my ipad air. My god its like a new tablet. It was after getting so slow with pretty bad keyboard lag etc but now it rarely appears.

uninstalled it on my ipx but installed it on my ipad air. My god its like a new tablet. It was after getting so slow with pretty bad keyboard lag etc but now it rarely appears.

This is tremendous news! My iPad Air is donkey since 11.4.

This is tremendous news! My iPad Air is donkey since 11.4.

Lag still appears every so often but now where near as bad as 11.4. Hoping it improves! Delighted

Dev beta 2 is out along with the watch , mac and tv beta 2’s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I just downloaded ios 12 beta 2. If i turn on the phone it will prompt for passcode but it won’t prompt for sim pin! You have to go into phone and select sim pin and enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The iOS 12 Public beta just went live for those brave enough to try it on their main device.

I’ll be skipping it and waiting until the official release.

Ooooooooo iPad first I think then phone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Be warned, gps doesn’t work properly in the current 12 beta’s.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    The iOS 12 Public beta just went live for those brave enough to try it on their main device.

I’ll be skipping it and waiting until the official release.

Surely out of all betas this must be the safest as it's all about stability improvements.

I'd say it's safer to install than previous buggy betas of iOS 11.

Advertisement