Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 12 - Developer, public beta and official release

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

awec wrote: »
    The new do not disturb thing allows you to set DND "until the morning". Where is "the morning" configured?

Seems to be set at 7am and not user customisable.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Seems to be set at 7am and not user customisable.
    That's pretty bizarre if true.

That's pretty bizarre if true.

You’re better off using the scheduled option and picking a “morning” time that suits you instead of going for that option.

Has anyone seen a drastic change in Maximum Capacity in Battery Health since the update?

My X went from 93% to 89% after it.

I know it was in Beta prior to iOS 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

DND time seems to be configurable on my 7.
    Are you possibly trying to change the scheduled time when you have turned it on manually using the option switch at the top? I think you can't change the time if you have turned on the "manual override" switch at the top.
    I believe you only need to turn on the scheduled switch for it to work automatically.

• Advertisement

duridian wrote: »
    DND time seems to be configurable on my 7.
    Are you possibly trying to change the scheduled time when you have turned it on manually using the option switch at the top? I think you can't change the time if you have turned on the "manual override" switch at the top.
    I believe you only need to turn on the scheduled switch for it to work automatically.
    I mean the new method when you turn it on manually, you can tell it to turn off until the next morning or until you leave your current location.

The scheduled option is no good for me, I turn mine off at a different time every night but generally turn it on at the same time every morning.

Don't get why they couldn't have linked it to your bedtime wake up setting or something.

I mean the new method when you turn it on manually, you can tell it to turn off until the next morning or until you leave your current location.

The scheduled option is no good for me, I turn mine off at a different time every night but generally turn it on at the same time every morning.

Don't get why they couldn't have linked it to your bedtime wake up setting or something.

So instead of using 3D touch to choose “until tomorrow morning”, just press the DND toggle to enable it whenever you want every night. Choose your from time in settings to be the latest you would normally stay up, and set the to time to the time you usually turn it back off in the morning.

So when you press it manually at night, it will disable at your own set morning time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Speed seems to be the main thing.

Shortcuts seems like something that might be decent at some stage but isn't that useful now. Don't really give a feck about the new iMessage features seeing as nobody uses iMessage anyway.

I use iMessage all the time. Much prefer it to What’s App

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Using a password manager with auto fill is worth the update alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

murpho999 wrote: »

Me too. I hate what’s app.
    Using a password manager with auto fill is worth the update alone.

The autofill from messages (one time codes etc) is an excellent feature also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭pad199207

In iOS 11 were you able to push down on the App Store update page to refresh the updates ?

Yea but iMessage is insignificant compared to Whatsapp. It does nothing useful that Whatsapp doesn't do except those wee talking face things, and it'll remain insignificant as long as it remains Apple only (which means forever).

Yea but iMessage is insignificant compared to Whatsapp. It does nothing useful that Whatsapp doesn't do except those wee talking face things, and it'll remain insignificant as long as it remains Apple only (which means forever).

Insignificant? It does exactly what it’s supposed to do, send messages to people 😊 Most of what I ever get on what’s app is videos or memes. Everything I get on iMessage is an actual message about something or other.

Insignificant? It does exactly what it’s supposed to do, send messages to people �� Most of what I ever get on what’s app is videos or memes. Everything I get on iMessage is an actual message about something or other.
    In terms of mind share it is insignificant compared to Whatsapp. Whatsapp is ubiquitous.

The only things that come into my messages app are the two-factor auth codes. It doesn't matter how many talking faces Apple put into iMessage, it'll never become popular so long as it's Apple only. Why would people want one messaging thing to talk to their Apple friends when they can just use this other App that pretty much every single person has that does everything they want it to do.

Apple are trying really hard, the iMessage stuff gets a disproportionate amount of air time at the events in recent years. It'll never come close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Is it me, or does the drag up from the bottom of the screen gesture on iPad feel different (the one to bring up the active apps list). It seems like you have to time it differently or the tiles for the various apps just vanish if you do it too quickly. Kind of hard to explain, but there’s definitely something changed.

I like the layout and colouring better. Also,how it displays links and webpages. Looks much better. Also like the reactions like thumbs up etc

So it has features that What’s App doesn’t. I do wish it had better reply features like what’s app though.

I don’t think millions of users across Apple’s platform is insignificant either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think iMessage is very popular in certain counties. I agree that in Ireland it’s not up there with the likes of WhatsApp. But it’s big in the US and certain countries. Really depends on what your friends are using.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think iMessage is very popular in certain counties. I agree that in Ireland it’s not up there with the likes of WhatsApp. But it’s big in the US and certain countries. Really depends on what your friends are using.

So do you think iMessage is more popular in Donegal or Sligo?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Dont like how the Bluetooth icon has been removed from top screen. It still doesn’t show up when I have an active connection :(

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

duridian wrote: »
    Is it me, or does the drag up from the bottom of the screen gesture on iPad feel different (the one to bring up the active apps list). It seems like you have to time it differently or the tiles for the various apps just vanish if you do it too quickly. Kind of hard to explain, but there’s definitely something changed.

It seems that a quick swipe from the bottom brings you back to the home page, I think you have to swipe up and hold for a second for the tiles to appear.

• Advertisement

Dont like how the Bluetooth icon has been removed from top screen. It still doesn’t show up when I have an active connection :(

Surely to god it’s an oversight. They couldn’t seriously just omit that from a handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Haven’t noticed much changes but it’s definitely more responsive everything is happening that bit quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

pad199207 wrote: »
    Surely to god it’s an oversight. They couldn’t seriously just omit that from a handset?

It definitely doesn't show connected to my car kit but yet plays audio / calls through the car speakers.
    I will double check on some blue tooth speakers at home and see if that shows up :confused:.

It does show when collected to Bluetooth speakers or headphones

Edit: Its seems Apple have removed it from status bar :(.

https://help.apple.com/iphone/12/#/iphef7bb57dc

Just noticed too that they have redesigned the location icon in the status bar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

shanec1928 wrote: »
    When google release it out of beta
    It’s been release in the latest update. Expect Waze to be not to far behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is it just me or does iOS 12 take up more space than 11? (or maybe it's like this for all updates?)

I had 6GB free before updating but now only have 5. Nothing else has changed on my phone I don't think.

Is it just me or does iOS 12 take up more space than 11? (or maybe it's like this for all updates?)

I had 6GB free before updating but now only have 5. Nothing else has changed on my phone I don't think.

Just checked on Google there and both are 1.7 but require 1.5 temp for installing. Maybe it didn’t completely delete the install files after the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I always give my phone a restart after updates to make sure everything’s working as it’s supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Advertisement