Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police release bodycam video capturing woman's violent beach arrest

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

steddyeddy wrote: »
    So she was right to resist arrest. Simple as.
    I doubt the Law and Authorities will see it that way .

She would have been better to take what punishment was going before it all went tits up....but sure sometimes stuff takes on a life of its own .

Perhaps they should all shake hands and let everyone feel older and wiser from the experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

blinding wrote: »
    I doubt the Law and Authorities will see it that way .

She would have been better to take what punishment was going before it all went tits up....but sure sometimes stuff takes on a life of its own .

Perhaps they should all shake hands and let everyone feel older and wiser from the experience .

Well if the arrest is unlawful why should she play along and take punishment?

I’d say establishments almost anywhere are keen to back up their Law enforcement .

They can never be sure when they may need them to hold back the Baying Hordes .

If You and I were one of them we would understand this Need !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The 21 year old dinking age thing is daft, but also proven to be justified by some perspectives. It was implemented after it was realized that a huge proportion of DUI accidents were drivers 18-21. After the age was raised, DUIs fell dramatically. The correct answer, of course, is to deal with the DUI problem, but it is not as if it is without logic.

He's always colloring me telling me to join a religious cult. Some hypocrite, might have got a few quid off the cops, but he acquired a chip on his shoulder, I cross the road to avoid the chap

There's one like that in Bray. Absolute scumbag who threatens to arrest people who he feels don't respect him. That's most people who aren't important to him. Same fella is shagging the wives/girlfriends of two of his colleagues.

I don't understand how the gaurds don't care that a scumbag like this give them a bad image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not sure if anyone saw the one on dumpert.nl of the Police hitting the woman there.
    It is a lot worse than this, and hasn't received a tenth of the attention.

Warning - Woman gets punched by male Police officer - https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7443549/6bd88998/gelijke_monniken,_gelijke_klappen.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Cop was a total dick. It seems some people dont like the young woman (entitled brat etc) for what reason I dont know. She was accused of underage drinking and breathalysed. The test failed and the cop should have just left it at that and stopped being a dick. She rightfully pointed out that he has no reason for taking her name. Then he went batsh1t crazy and I hope he will see disciplinary procedures for his little power trip.

And yes cops do have to deal with a lot of sh1t but that wasnt going to be one of those occasions unless he made it so.

While most cops in civilised nations are grand and nice the job also attracts a share of power trippers, unfortunately.

Edit: AFAIK cops are supposed to de-escalate whenever possible not escalate for no reason. 'You gonna get dropped' f*ck off already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Because she's going to be arrested wether she thinks she is right or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Mutant z wrote: »
    The USA is a very strange country you can't legally drink alcohol until your 21 but join the army absolutely no problem,owning a gun no problem either but god help anyone purchase alcohol.

I think US media like sex&city, the OC, SNL, most chat shows, most of Hollywood is very liberal tending and not at all representative of the real america. However that media dominates 99% of all US programming so we have a very liberal tainted view of america.

In reality 70% of the US population is christian and a lot of that is extreme (bible belt).

In a lot of ways the real america is the bible belt, the fly over states and the
    north west. The ban on Alcohol was fueled by them and its mainly a religious view.

You see for some strange reason, its against gods wishes to drink the daemons drink but to shed blood in gods name, well.. that gets you a medal of merit.

in short, were religion is concerned, logic need not apply and that unfortunately is the vast majority of the voting USA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

cnocbui wrote: »
    I thoroughly disagree with your opinion about the woman. She was peaceably minding her own business with her family on a beach and was then set upon and assaulted by two thugs. She was perfectly justified in standing up to them and for standing up for her legal rights.

well there is opinions and then there is the truth isnt there

https://nypost.com/2018/05/29/mayor-cops-who-punched-beachgoer-were-doing-their-job/

"in a since-deleted Facebook post, Weinman, of Philadelphia, admitted to having unopened containers of alcohol in her bag before the scuffle."

http://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/index.ssf/2018/05/video_shows_officers_punching_woman_in_the_face_on.html

"In the Facebook post, Weinman that she should have given the officer her name, but she did not out of fear. "

fear of the consequences of being caught underage drinking ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

In America going to far means the woman would be shot 41 times.

I checked this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

"Stop and identify" statutes are statutory laws in the United States that authorize police[1] to legally obtain the identification of someone whom they reasonably suspect of having committed a crime. If there is no reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed, an individual is not required to provide identification, even in "Stop and ID" states

Seem the cop is very much is the wrong and she was well within her rights not to give her name. The cop had no grounds to arrest her.

I think the police dept know's this as the two cops are on admin work - that's cop speak for standing in the bold corner.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

gctest50 wrote: »
    Nonsense, just pick them up and put them back down again

And magically all resistance is gone.

WTF can you be for real!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

In America going to far means the woman would be shot 41 times.

I checked this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

"Stop and identify" statutes are statutory laws in the United States that authorize police[1] to legally obtain the identification of someone whom they reasonably suspect of having committed a crime. If there is no reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed, an individual is not required to provide identification, even in "Stop and ID" states

Seem the cop is very much is the wrong and she was well within her rights not to give her name. The cop had no grounds to arrest her.

I think the police dept know's this as the two cops are on admin work - that's cop speak for standing in the bold corner.....

She admitted on Facebook to having drink on her, and indeed she was charged with possession of alcohol as a minor. Can we drop 'the wrongful arrest' line now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

mynamejeff wrote: »
    well there is opinions and then there is the truth isnt there

https://nypost.com/2018/05/29/mayor-cops-who-punched-beachgoer-were-doing-their-job/

"in a since-deleted Facebook post, Weinman, of Philadelphia, admitted to having unopened containers of alcohol in her bag before the scuffle."

http://www.nj.com/cape-may-county/index.ssf/2018/05/video_shows_officers_punching_woman_in_the_face_on.html

"In the Facebook post, Weinman that she should have given the officer her name, but she did not out of fear. "

fear of the consequences of being caught underage drinking ?

The containers of alcohol were unopened, she claimed they were not hers, but her Aunts. She was breathalysed. The reading was zero, therefore no evidence she had been drinking.

Even though she says she was afraid to give her name, and should have, she shouldn't have been afraid or thought that because the legal situation is that she did not have to give her name:
    Christopher Chapman, the executive director of the National Excessive Force Institute and an associate professor of criminal justice at the City University of New York, said once Weinman became uncooperative, the officers should have called for a supervisor and focused on tamping down the tension. State law requires individuals to identify themselves to police only if they are issued a court summons.

The rent-a-cop said he was going to 'drop her' when she refused to give her name. There's a fact for you. He threatened her with assault for doing something which she was legaly entitled to do, which is not provide her name.
    Jon Shane, an associate professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice and an expert on police use of force, said the outcome of the investigation probably will hinge on whether officers had a legal basis to stop Weinman in the first place.

Officers must have a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed to stop and detain someone whether in a car on a highway or lying on the beach, he said.
    A tram car moves along the boardwalk in Wildwood, New Jersey, in this 2011 photo.
    Dennis P. Carmody, Asbury Park (N.J.) Press

Police initially noticed unopened cans of alcoholic iced tea nearby. Weinman, who was underage, told police they belonged to her aunt who wasn't present at the time. After she cleared a breathalyzer test, an officer told a colleague that he would only have her pour out the alcohol, according to the body camera footage.

Shane said it's not clear at that point whether a crime had been committed and even whether officers had legal standing to continue questioning her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

The containers of alcohol were unopened, she claimed they were note hers, but her Aunts. She was breathalysed. The reading was zero, therefore no evidence she had been drinking.

Even though she says she was afraid to give her name, and should have, she shouldn't have been afraid or thought that because the legal situation is that she did not have to give her name:

She was charged with obstruction and minor in possession of alcohol not being intoxicated.

In 2016, Weinman was busted on charges of burglary, simple assault, criminal mischief, criminal trespass and reckless endangerment, NJ.com reported, citing court records. She pleaded guilty to misdemeanor counts of simple assault and reckless endangerment and received four years probation

model citizen isn't she wonder if she has a "issue " with authority ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The issue is the cops treatment of her and the way they acted not her past record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Do you guys think this was deserved or did the police go too far?

Personally I think it's completely out of order that 2 policemen have to violently restrain and repeatedly punch a 20 year old woman in the face over such a petty offence as underage drinking.

Wish they'd come to my local beach Myrtleville, cork,twice last year they arrived,once arrested one guy,and had to get the HSE involved when a mother out of her box had 2 smallies and couldn't look after them,she was totally out of it, great progressive country

Wish they'd come to my local beach Myrtleville, cork,twice last year they arrived,once arrested one guy,and had to get the HSE involved when a mother out of her box had 2 smallies and couldn't look after them,she was totally out of it, great progressive country

I don't understand much of that sentence to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mynamejeff wrote: »
    She was charged with obstruction and minor in possession of alcohol not being intoxicated.

In 2016, Weinman was busted on charges of burglary, simple assault, criminal mischief, criminal trespass and reckless endangerment, NJ.com reported, citing court records. She pleaded guilty to misdemeanor counts of simple assault and reckless endangerment and received four years probation

model citizen isn't she wonder if she has a "issue " with authority ?

that sounds like someone who should be repeatedly punched in the face. is that what you're saying?

because if it's not, then I have no idea why you posted that.

• Advertisement

If a mouthy man got them few minor slaps then there’d be very little about it .

Mouthy women want equality but only the good equality and not the bad equality .

Nice equality if you can get it .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,027 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The only reason this is getting airtime is because of the gender of the 'victim'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,888 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If a mouthy man got them few minor slaps then there’d be very little about it .

Mouthy women want equality but only the good equality and not the bad equality .

Nice equality if you can get it .

Being punched in the head with a clenched fist is not a slap, nor is it minor. Perhaps a lifetime of women's pay equality would sort out your misogyny.

Being punched in the head with a clenched fist is not a slap, nor is it minor. Perhaps a lifetime of women's pay equality would sort out your misogyny.
    When women work as long as hours and as far away from home as men . When they show the same commitment and stamina to work .
    When they lose 5 years from their lives from doing all of the above = get back to me .

Women can do all of the above but many probably a very big majority choose not to . Incidentally i believe they are correct to choose quality of life over the Crazy amount of time energy men are willing to put into work .

Women want the same money for doing less = what sort of equality is that ?

Re this Video ; There would be virtually no coverage of this had it been a man .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Re this Video ; There would be virtually no coverage of this had it been a man .

Lets assume you're right. You may well be. But whats your point? Does that make it alright then?

Lets assume you're right. You may well be. But whats your point? Does that make it alright then?
    Maybe if we actually started to treat men as equal to women then that would be a start .

The Police went a bit over the top to a stupid person . Minor reprimand and get on with their job .

Who are the first people that are called when People are in danger or need some Protecting = The Police .

Sure the Police need to keep their standards up and do as best they can .

If the General Public did the same it would be a big help .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Who are the first people that are called when People are in danger or need some Protecting = The Police .

Do they ever turn up? The police in this country are pure s h i t e the only people they want to prosecute are victims of the ridiculous drink driving laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Do they ever turn up? The police in this country are pure s h i t e the only people they want to prosecute are victims of the ridiculous drink driving laws.

Such horse ****. A claim that can only be made by someone who sits in front of a computer and ignores actual news all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Such horse ****. A claim that can only be made by someone who sits in front of a computer and ignores actual news all day.

Yeah bit like a modern Irish policeman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Or someone who lives in a very rural area where response times may take a while. Which much like hospitals, there really isn't much to be done about. Consider this your daily dose of off-topic anti-single housing ranting for the day. :)

Advertisement