Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police release bodycam video capturing woman's violent beach arrest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

When was the last time you have to hammer-fist a 7 stone college aged girl in the face, grab her by the hair and throw her to the ground, and more to successfully arrest her? When you weren't on your own? And she posed absolute no risk to you or your colleagues?

I'd wager never... Because you know what you're doing.

He admitted that the cop may have been say over zealous, yet here you are with your 'gym' experience telling us all how to do the job of said cop. Classic keyboard warrior.

You have a Garda with years of experience telling you how hard it is to actually arrest and restrain someone and you still double down with your keyboard warrior smack talk.

You know what they say, never go full retard. I am afraid you crossed that line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

markodaly wrote: »
    You have a Garda with years of experience telling you how hard it is to actually arrest and restrain someone...

Ex-Garda! Gave that **** up! But 10 years behind me so the point stands! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

I remember seeing a big guard struggling to safely restrain and handcuff a tiny, female drug addict in Temple Bar a few years ago. The female did not want to be restrained and it was a right auld tussle for the guard to eventually get her on the ground without smacking her head off the kerb or whatever. After that he just put a knee on her back and waited til a van and two other guards arrived to actually handcuff her, and she was still struggling during that.

The BJJ/MMA lad claiming he knows the techniques to restrain someone easily is talking out of his backside, I know exactly the type of person too, they are quick to tell you they train in MMA/BJJ!

Also, the reason the drinking age is 21 in the USA is tied to federal funding for highways many years ago. Kids can drive at a young age and have to as a necessity over there, so the policy makers of the time wanted to ensure as best as possible to restrict young people's access to alcohol. If states don't enforce the 21 limit they lose 10% of federal highway funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

While the punching was excessive I see it more as the officer seeing red in the heat of the moment rather than him being a thug generally.

As for the young woman - she was being mouthy and belligerent, resisting arrest and violent towards the officers - do people really expect them not to react?

It’s simple - if you want to be treated with respect by law enforcement then treat them in kind. And if you’ve nothing to hide just cooperate and then go on your merry way. Why kick up a fuss when it’s completely unnecessary?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

It's incredibly easy to restrain a resisting, untrained person.

this statement says it all about your "expert" opinion

you haven't a clue about restraining some one who doesn't want to be restrained

Drink or drugs make t that much more difficult

Years of door work and other experience btw tells me your wrong as did every one here with legit experience has already said .

want a hand up out of that hole ya dug your self into ?

or are you going to kung fu your way out ?

Also its been repeatedly pointed out that this was not a cop but private security of some kind

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

What do people think BJJ is exactly?

How many hours of restraint training does a police officer get per year? How many hours does the average bjj practitioner spend on the mats restraining trained, resisting opponents I wonder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Why did the bitch go bitch crazy ?

Betcha , she is a sorry ass now .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

While the punching was excessive I see it more as the officer seeing red in the heat of the moment rather than him being a thug generally.

As for the young woman - she was being mouthy and belligerent, resisting arrest and violent towards the officers - do people really expect them not to react?

It’s simple - if you want to be treated with respect by law enforcement then treat them in kind. And if you’ve nothing to hide just cooperate and then go on your merry way. Why kick up a fuss when it’s completely unnecessary?

Here's the thing Audrey, seeing red in a tense moment is not an excuse for a man to physically assault a girl. That's the excuse given by domestic abusers. Especially not someone trained for such circumstances.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Here's the thing Audrey, seeing red in a tense moment is not an excuse for a man to physically assault a girl. That's the excuse given by domestic abusers. Especially not someone trained for such circumstances.

Here’s the other thing though - the girl assaulted him first.

You don’t get a free pass on assault because of your gender.

Again it was excessive but she brought it on herself.

• Advertisement

Here’s the other thing though - the girl assaulted him first.

You don’t get a free pass on assault because of your gender.

Again it was excessive but she brought it on herself.

Again Audrey, just to explain but no one brings "excessive force" on themselves. If it was warranted it wouldn't be excessive.

Again Audrey, just to explain but no one brings "excessive force" on themselves. If it was warranted it wouldn't be excessive.

No need to get condescending about it - I have said several times it was a bit excessive.

But you can’t deny she did herself no favors at all the way she acted - she was like a spoiled petulant child and in front of her own child too which makes it even worse.

I always find it amusing that it's the biggest lovers of liberty and freedom from state tyranny that will most defend state-sponsored and sanctioned violence. It's quite beautiful really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Definitely excessive, but she has a bad attitude straight off the bat and shows a pretty clear lack of respect for the law.

Be interesting to see what comes of it. Those hammer fists were just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

She deserved to be arrested using force because she resisted arrest. But they clearly went way overboard. way too much force used.

A very thin girl and two police which have been trained should have been easily able to restrain her without punching and choke holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

3 guards in waterford were caught on cctv a few years ago hitting someone on the ground like this.
    They lost their jobs and were done for assault.
    American cops will probably get a medal for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    100% this.
    And you'll always see people defending their horrible attitude, because they're young female and pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

She deserved to be arrested using force because she resisted arrest. But they clearly went way overboard. way too much force used.

A very thin girl and two police which have been trained should have been easily able to restrain her without punching and choke holds.

You are allowed to resist arrest if the arrest is not legal, which is the case here.

The police had no legal authority to ask her to take a breathalyzer test and she was not legally obliged to give them her name. As her failure to give her name is what caused them to arrest her, the arrest was illegal.

The police were in the wrong on at least four counts. Punching her in the head is not reasonable force when the arrest is illegal, it's criminal assault.

No need to get condescending about it - I have said several times it was a bit excessive.

But you can’t deny she did herself no favors at all the way she acted - she was like a spoiled petulant child and in front of her own child too which makes it even worse.

She was an entitled brat. No doubt about it. The cop acted like a thug in response to an entitled brat. The two statements aren't mutually exclusive.

cnocbui wrote: »
    You are allowed to resist arrest if the arrest is not legal, which is the case here.

The police had no legal authority to ask her to take a breathalyzer test and she was not legally obliged to give them her name. As her failure to give her name is what caused them to arrest her, the arrest was illegal.

The police were in the wrong on at least four counts. Punching her in the head is not reasonable force when the arrest is illegal, it's criminal assault.

Is this true? Let's say I'm walking around England (where I live) and the cops stop me and tell me they're arresting me for being Irish or something equally stupid. Am I allowed to resist arrest if there's no legal basis for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Is this true? Let's say I'm walking around England (where I live) and the cops stop me and tell me they're arresting me for being Irish or something equally stupid. Am I allowed to resist arrest if there's no legal basis for it?

Her arrest was made under New Jersey, USA and not English law. So what applies in USA might not apply in England.

I don't know about the UK, I was just going by what a US law firm says on their website:
    What each and every defendant and criminal lawyer must understand about the crime of Resisting Arrest is that a person is guilty of this crime only if he or she intentionally prevents or attempts to prevent a police officer or peace officer from effecting an authorized arrest of himself or another person. A critical component of any Resisting Arrest arrest (that sounds kind of funny, doesn’t it?!) is that the actions not only be intentional and as a means to prevent a police officer from making an arrest, but the arrest must be an authorized one. If it is not authorized, then the arrest for violating New York Penal Law 205.30 is not valid.
    The reason why the Court of Appeals (New York State’s top court) requires that there be a factual description based in probable cause as to the underlying arrest is because “an individual [has] a legal privilege to avoid an illegal arrest. Accordingly, the People must assert the legality of the arrest the officer was attempting to make or, put differently, must allege that the defendant lacked a privilege to resist that arrest.” See People v. Cherry, 307 NY 308, 310 [1954] [“If force is necessary to prevent an unlawful arrest, then force may be employed.”]). Merely charging the defendant with the crime of Obstructing Governmental Administration is not enough. Where NY PL 195.05 is charged, “the People must allege, and later prove, that the officer’s ‘official function’ was an authorized, or lawful, arrest
    https://www.newyorkcriminallawyer-blog.com/2012/12/resisting.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I really feel that everyone is taking a massive leap giving them the benefit of the doubt in terms of "being able" to restrain her, and being "trained" to use appropriate force.

Most of the scumbags who get caught in cases of brutality like this want to use excessive force, because they have authoritarian personalities and issues with power tripping. They probably became cops not to make the world a better place, but because they enjoy a role where they get to tell people what to do.

People with that kind of personality are a cancer on this species as far as I'm concerned, and in most cases I hear about involving abuse of power by cops, bouncers, etc - accepting obviously that the vast majority don't behave this way and aren't implicated in videos like this - it involves individuals who have a desire to wield authority over others for their own personal gratification. As far as I'm concerned, such people should be weeded out via personality testing and never, ever allowed anywhere near a career in which they are placed in any position of authority.

To paraphrase Douglas Adams, people who actually want to and enjoy wielding power are usually the absolute worst type of people to be entrusted with it.

Why can’t we all just get along ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

blinding wrote: »
    Why can’t we all just get along ?

because she is an arrogant obnoxious entitled ass hole

and he is dumb untrained unqualified rent a cop beach security not an actual cop as people keep saying

i wouldn't like to spend time with either of them

mynamejeff wrote: »

and he is dumb untrained unqualified rent a cop beach security not an actual cop as people keep saying

Would we be ok with out these two ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

shockwave wrote: »
    3 guards in waterford were caught on cctv a few years ago hitting someone on the ground like this.
    They lost their jobs and were done for assault.
    American cops will probably get a medal for this.

Not all the cops in Waterford lost their jobs over that, only 2 of the 3 did. The last fellow must have some dirt on the cops here because he still has his job and is still strutting around the city with a real entitled swagger to him.

mynamejeff wrote: »

I thoroughly disagree with your opinion about the woman. She was peaceably minding her own business with her family on a beach and was then set upon and assaulted by two thugs. She was perfectly justified in standing up to them and for standing up for her legal rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Not all the cops in Waterford lost their jobs over that, only 2 of the 3 did. The last fellow must have some dirt on the cops here because he still has his job and is still strutting around the city with a real entitled swagger to him.

He's always colloring me telling me to join a religious cult. Some hypocrite, might have got a few quid off the cops, but he acquired a chip on his shoulder, I cross the road to avoid the chap

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    I don't know about the UK, I was just going by what a US law firm says on their website:

https://www.newyorkcriminallawyer-blog.com/2012/12/resisting.html

So she was right to resist arrest. Simple as.

Advertisement