Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Mulbert wrote: »
    Shanahan is a huge call? If i was Cahill, he'd be one of the first id cull. Connors and a few more next.

Yes. A huge call.

I get Cahill is trying to make a statement but I hope it dosent backfire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Would expect it to be Sixmilebridge, not Cusack Park.

Where would it be if the game was being played in Waterford...? Hardly McGinn Park....?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Done little wrong.
    Unfortunately Shanahan hasn’t ever gotten back to 2015 form, has been on and off the panel a fair amount.
    Noel’s form dipped dramatically last year.

I think it’s a big statement of intent from management and will probably be others cut too.
    unfortunately Shanahan like most forwards suffered under Mc Grath ,pity really ,he done brilliantly for Waterford especially that all star year, he was a real all star forward but killed playing in such a negative style of play .a real ball winner .a very hard man to dispossess and a good man to take a score .I for one ,will miss him, on Connors, a wonderful lad ,a good defender ,but maybe its a case of can't teach an old dog new tricks.his short hand passing game out of defence and possibly engaging in taking on opponents on his way out with the ball is his two stumbling blocks .maybe the new manager wants a more direct quicker ,get the ball into the forward line ,kind of thing , either way if its true and he's gone .good luck to him .I'll miss him too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

I can see the logic behind Maurice alright. In fairness, you can't do what he did against Limerick (should have been sent off) or worse again what he did against Cork last year after just coming on and expect a manager with a ruthless reputation to overlook it.

Connors is more harsh I think. Bad year last year fine, but he's been dependable over the course of the last ten years and I would have thought he'd be at least given a chance to prove he's better than alternatives. But maybe Cahill reckons he's not much left to give and it very quickly establishes a reputation of "front up or ship off" amongst the rest of the panel when you cull all stars.

If it is their last involvement with Waterford than fairplay to both, have had great days with the County and put in huge commitment. Nobody could question that.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

On the county final Ballygunner's ability to "swarm defence" and then not panic with the ball in hand to work it wide and then play really intelligent ball into the forward line, who all have brilliant touch and blistering pace was all the difference. They stretched DLS's much vaunted half back line right across the field and created huge gaps through which to play fast diagonal ball. Salle's on the other hand worked the ball nicely up the middle of the field and then ran out of ideas, resorting eventually to repeated high ball in on top of Fagan who was marked tightly and basically crowded out Would like to see Fagan get a shot with the county with good players around him. This Hutchinson could be a real player for us next year, guy hasn't hurled seriously for about 5 years up to this and did not look out of place, very fast with great touch but also hurls with his head up looking for teammates all the time. Best of luck to Ballygunner in Munster.

On Connors and Shanahan, I believe Cahill has a lot of hard calls to make as he has to break a lot of old habits. Maurice unfortunately it appears has had the luxury of being able to walk on and off the panel at will. I know he has his issues, and i think his hurling is a real asset, but this cannot have been good for team or panel moral, and if we are going to go anywhere, it has to be about the team and panel not individuals. Noellie, I am not sure about but he seemed very much to be Derek's "go to man" and I fear it may have been decided that if you have to break old habits and sever the links with the past, (which i believe is totally necessary) he would appear to Me as someone " outside the camp" to be the logical place to start (I could be totally wrong) . A pity but possibly necessary. Apparently according to Cahill, the door is never closed on those who are desperate enough to want to come back, they just need to be hurling well enough and willing to buy into the new management regime, leaving the past where it belongs. A bit like Derek decided himself after year one.

At the end of the day, Cahill will live or die by his results and he is perfectly right to do it his way - Fanning last year I feel fell between two stools and paid a very hefty price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Gardner

upto 8 players gone off last years panel im told. if i was to guess id say the other 6 are Brick, Mark O'Brien, Brian O'Halloran, Stephen Roche, Colin Dunford, Thomas Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Whatever about Connors not being great last year along with ten others and past his best (at 29).... in the new munster format you need cover and squad rotation and his experience and dependability are not a luxury every county has. I think there’s more to this than form alone but it’s the managers call so I will support it as I have been wanting a freshening up of the panel. Rather than jump on the band wagon and say Connors wasn’t adaptable or not good enough how about we appreciate what he’s done. Probably Waterford’s best ever corner back and one of the most consistent and reliable county players there ever has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Relhcstirt wrote: »
    Would expect it to be Sixmilebridge, not Cusack Park.

Where would it be if the game was being played in Waterford...? Hardly McGinn Park....?
    Walsh Park

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

If Ballygunnars home pitch was up to standard and they got a home draw then they are entitled to the match being on their home pitch. Sixmilebridge has hosted many Munster Championship matches over the years including a match against Ballygunnar.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

BloodyBill wrote: »
    If Ballygunnars home pitch was up to standard and they got a home draw then they are entitled to the match being on their home pitch. Sixmilebridge has hosted many Munster Championship matches over the years including a match against Ballygunnar.

I'm sure there would be health and safety aspects to this and it would have to be able to hold a certain capacity. I know a fence around the field would be essential to reach Munster Council standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

You'd wonder the logic behind charging €20 for county finals and then half that for the provincial games.

Overheard someone in Walsh Park yesterday say that we’d new sponsors for next year? Any truth to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Gardner

anyone listening to WLR. ****ing comical. Tiernan talking absolute ****e. "hot topic" he is calling it. slow news day like most days at WLR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Gardner wrote: »
    anyone listening to WLR. ****ing comical. Tiernan talking absolute ****e. "hot topic" he is calling it. slow news day like most days at WLR

Didnt hear it. Whats the gist of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Gardner wrote: »
    upto 8 players gone off last years panel im told. if i was to guess id say the other 6 are Brick, Mark O'Brien, Brian O'Halloran, Stephen Roche, Colin Dunford, Thomas Ryan.

If Brick was one of them, that would have made the paper as well. O Halloran retired as well, is Stephen Bennett confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

BloodyBill wrote: »

No Covered Stand is an issue I’d imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Noel Connors was a phenomenal player for Waterford,

If only we had him 10 years earlier

One of our greatest ever defenders

A corner back I would pay money to go and see play when he was on the top of his game.

At his best, he was able to mark and keep anyone quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Some ****e being talked on WLR, Liam Cahill is the manager and a bloody good one at that! He knows that he will be judged on results as its a results based business and he will do what he believes is in the best interest of Waterford. He has no baggage and no bias so let him get on with the job and here's something for all begrudgers out there "Support your team and not cut the life out of them when they make a mistake or loose" Waterford need to experiment this winter and with that comes losses so be mindful of this when you are about to cut lads to shreds because they do something you don't agree with. Remember we are no privy to what goes on in training and lads will be asked to try new stuff so we need to all get behind them.

As for the lads dropped, they gave some service and should be recognised for this but that's for the county board and supporters on forums like this to do. It is not up to the new manager his job is to manager Waterford in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Some ****e being talked on WLR, Liam Cahill is the manager and a bloody good one at that! He knows that he will be judged on results as its a results based business and he will do what he believes is in the best interest of Waterford. He has no baggage and no bias so let him get on with the job and here's something for all begrudgers out there "Support your team and not cut the life out of them when they make a mistake or loose" Waterford need to experiment this winter and with that comes losses so be mindful of this when you are about to cut lads to shreds because they do something you don't agree with. Remember we are no privy to what goes on in training and lads will be asked to try new stuff so we need to all get behind them.

As for the lads dropped, they gave some service and should be recognised for this but that's for the county board and supporters on forums like this to do. It is not up to the new manager his job is to manager Waterford in 2019.

What was said om WLR

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There will be some about of nonsense rumours about this for the winter when lads have feck all to be talking about.

• Advertisement

If Brick was one of them, that would have made the paper as well. O Halloran retired as well, is Stephen Bennett confirmed?

It was said on this page last week that Stephen Bennett was going travelling. Not sure how accurate that is.

Just thinking there... obviously it'd be great to see Ballygunner go on an win a club all Ireland but for Liam Cahill it'd probably be better to have his full deck at his disposal from day 1 and build a good team spirit and unity of work ethic early on. What yee reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

What was said om WLR

Usual crap about "player belittlement" and "the people should know what is going on". You would swear that Damien Tiernan was a successful sports manager in his own right. His first love is soccer being a member of the Waterford Junior League Committee and seems to really enjoy raking mud about GAA at every opportunity. No doubt he will try and get miles out of this looking for interviews with Noellie and Maurice to drag it on and on.

End of day Noellie and Maurice have been great players for Waterford - yes it is disappointing for them to finish at such a relatively early point in their careers and they have my thanks for one for all their efforts - but it comes to many. It is time that this county started looking the future instead of looking to the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

All the previous backroom teams have been released from their duties also. Everything being freshened up by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Overheard someone in Walsh Park yesterday say that we’d new sponsors for next year? Any truth to that?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think its very harsh on the two boys but at the same time a cute move from Cahill. He is laying down a marker early to the rest of the panel. They will know now that they will have to be on their toes from the start or they will be culled very quickly. Interesting times ahead

How did he judge there performances tho ??? Both guys were out of the club Championship before Cahill was appointed

If going by this year Championship it would be harsh as a lot of the panel played ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

While I’m in agreement with cutting two players who have been, I think it’s fair to say, divisive within the panel over the last couple of years for different reasons. I do think that Cahill could be in danger of going too far with removing back room team figures; if of course that rumour is true. Does this include the likes of Tommy Burns? If so, I would think that could be a huge mistake. Tommy is a gentleman and has been there through good times and bad. He’s very popular with the players and I think if Cahill starts removing people like Tommy from the setup then it could work against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Motivator wrote: »
    While I’m in agreement with cutting two players who have been, I think it’s fair to say, divisive within the panel over the last couple of years for different reasons. I do think that Cahill could be in danger of going too far with removing back room team figures; if of course that rumour is true. Does this include the likes of Tommy Burns? If so, I would think that could be a huge mistake. Tommy is a gentleman and has been there through good times and bad. He’s very popular with the players and I think if Cahill starts removing people like Tommy from the setup then it could work against him.

Not denying the impact people like Tommy can have on squad morale but by comparison Wexford had Stephen Molumphy performing his role for games last year, wired to management, constantly passing on messages both ways. Small margins at this level, perhaps having a few people who could do a little coaching within the set up and then perform such a role may be of use..
    I believe Roger has been kept on, as has Harris as secretary.

*None of the above should take away from the huge dedication Tommy has given to Waterford over the last 10 + years. An absolute gentleman also, as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

A clean out is not unexpected and somewhat inevitable. I'm not surprised with some of the names I've heard mentioned. I think Connors would be great to have to spring from the bench in war of attrition kind of scenario. But when all is said and done I think Cahill needs to figure out his own panel. We were here a few years ago with McGrath and people were in uproar around foley, sully, nagle, molomphy etc. At the time it was hard to see how they could all be replaced in one fell swoop but sometimes that's what it takes.

All I have to say really is that the efforts of each and every one of them is greatly appreciated and I'll never take the commitment of a gaa player for granted. They served us well and we were proud of them at the best of times and felt for them on the bad days. I wish them all the best of luck in wherever life takes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

#Brick Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Not denying the impact people like Tommy can have on squad morale but by comparison Wexford had Stephen Molumphy performing his role for games last year, wired to management, constantly passing on messages both ways. Small margins at this level, perhaps having a few people who could do a little coaching within the set up and then perform such a role may be of use..
    I believe Roger has been kept on, as has Harris as secretary.

*None of the above should take away from the huge dedication Tommy has given to Waterford over the last 10 + years. An absolute gentleman also, as you said.

I think he’s entitled to pick his own backroom team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement