Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

is this the same jake dillon that got dogs abuse under dereks reign?

the same one that apparently was only on the team due to his club man managing him?

and the same jake dillon who has consistently been one of best club hurlers in county last 6-7 years?

just checking....:rolleyes:

Jake Dillon is average at best. Good worker but not at the top intercounty standard im afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Eyeball, unfortunately we don't have any as you say 'top intercounty standard' forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

debok wrote: »
    Was coughlan not nominated for an all star. ? Also not many bad hurlers get to play with ballygunnet for as long as he has without being a good hurler.

Ok I forgot about 2010 but definetly wasn’t picked there the following year in 2011 when he would have been on the age. I’m not saying he didn’t do a job but he wasn’t even close to the county reckoning before McGrath cane along so anything he did achieve he has McGrath to thank for

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

Ok I forgot about 2010 but definetly wasn’t picked there the following year in 2011 when he would have been on the age. I’m not saying he didn’t do a job but he wasn’t even close to the county reckoning before McGrath cane along so anything he did achieve he has McGrath to thank for

Coughlan was unbelievable for Ballygunner in 2012 and 2013, he was on the panel when Michael Ryan was in charge in 2013 but he saw no game time. He never put a foot wrong for Waterford and he was nominated for an All Star. He was there on merit as far as I can see and considering how badly the team rolled over last year we could have done with a bit of grit and steel in the full back line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Looking forward to seeing this fella with Waterford next year https://waterford-news.ie/2019/10/08/brightons-loss-is-ballygunners-gain/#.XZ8uQBK_rZQ.twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Seems a very level headed lad, nice piece

Motivator wrote: »
    Coughlan was unbelievable for Ballygunner in 2012 and 2013, he was on the panel when Michael Ryan was in charge in 2013 but he saw no game time. He never put a foot wrong for Waterford and he was nominated for an All Star. He was there on merit as far as I can see and considering how badly the team rolled over last year we could have done with a bit of grit and steel in the full back line.

To say he never put a foot wrong is stretching it, but this argument has been had enough times and Ive nothing against the lad at all. I think of all lines on the field the FB line was one of the very few that cane out of the year with any bit of credit. Prunty and Callum Lyons giving some optimism for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Jake Dillon is average at best. Good worker but not at the top intercounty standard im afraid!
    Boloks

Boloks

V articulate comment tbf.

He’s not rated among intercounty players outside of Waterford. Sorry if that doesn’t sit well with you! 🙄

Waternut wrote: »
    Eyeball, unfortunately we don't have any as you say 'top intercounty standard' forwards.

It is my biggest concern tbh going into 2020. Good and all as the mgmt team are, I’m not sure how they are going to make top intercounty forwards out of the lads available to them. Every competitive team out there now have at least 4 quality free flowing forwards- this mgmt team has work to do I’m afraid. But best of luck to them. Can’t wait to see the look of them come NHL in Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Half time Report.
    Ballygunner 1-11
    De la salle 1-06

DLS asleep for first 15 minutes and went 7 points down. Eddie Meaney bringing DLS back into the game with a goal and some nice points. Pauric Mahoney and Dessie Hutchinson (goal) doing most of the scoring for the Gunners. All to play for in second half but DLS need to start strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭runjb

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

runjb wrote: »

Very big calls and undeserved at that

Same old story in the county final but 6 in a row is a great achievement. The Munster Championship will not be easy with Ballygunner having to travel to Clare for the QF in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Very big calls and undeserved at that

Same old story in the county final but 6 in a row is a great achievement. The Munster Championship will not be easy with Ballygunner having to travel to Clare for the QF in a few weeks

Undeserved? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

cul beag wrote: »
    Undeserved? Why?

2 great servants who done little wrong in the waterford Jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Maybe they are just not good enough anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Hopefully more to follow. There’s a lot of deadwood on that panel for years. I’m liking this regime already! Shake it up and make your statement Mr. Cahill. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

I swear lads I'm not Liam Cahill :D:D

I hope now that he gave them more than 30 seconds on the phone and that we won't have to listen to him self flagellating on every media outlet available for the next five years about how mean he was. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Done little wrong.
    Unfortunately Shanahan hasn’t ever gotten back to 2015 form, has been on and off the panel a fair amount.
    Noel’s form dipped dramatically last year.

I think it’s a big statement of intent from management and will probably be others cut too.

DLS got back to within 2 points with 15 minutes to go. There was a buzz in the air but it was only the buzz from Ballygunners game moving up a gear as they powered ahead in the final quarter to once again dominate the Waterford county championship. Best of luck to them in Munster.

• Advertisement

Big call indeed to cut Connors. He had a bad year last year but so did almost everyone and up to now he's probably one of the automatic team selections if fit. An absolute rock at the back for us over the years and someone you could count on every game.

What's strange is that even if his powers are fading, you'd keep him around the panel so maybe that's a sign Cahill will also cut Brick or Moran if he's not interested in having older players on the panel unless they will be starters under him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

It's ballygunnars use of the ball and finding space that sets them apart from the rest. They lost the two Sullivan's, Barnes, Walsh and Wayne hutchenson now only a sub but it had made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Big call indeed to cut Connors. He had a bad year last year but so did almost everyone and up to now he's probably one of the automatic team selections if fit. An absolute rock at the back for us over the years and someone you could count on every game.

What's strange is that even if his powers are fading, you'd keep him around the panel so maybe that's a sign Cahill will also cut Brick or Moran if he's not interested in having older players on the panel unless they will be starters under him?

Fair play to Cahill. He has taken over and is coming in from a place of strength with many of the players having to all intents and purposes downed tools against management last year. He's obviously well informed and has laid down a marker. It's guaranteed he won't tolerate any players sniping or not buying in to what's he's doing so I reckon there will be a lot more guys told to either shape up or ship out.

The best of luck to him.

Deise Gael wrote: »
    Fair play to Cahill. He has taken over and is coming in from a place of strength with many of the players having to all intents and purposes downed tools against management last year. He's obviously well informed and has laid down a marker. It's guaranteed he won't tolerate any players sniping or not buying in to what's he's doing so I reckon there will be a lot more guys told to either shape up or ship out.

The best of luck to him.

Yes I have to agree that a fresh view on the panell is the way to go. Nobody should be there on reputation. Will be very interesting to see who the new calls up will be and what impact they will have. After being in Walsh Park I would hope that Cahill can get the best out of Pauric Mahoney who is such a talent. Dessie Hutchinson looks sharp too and his striking will improve again by next year. The two DLS corner forwards, Meaney and McCaan (I think) were impressive today too and Fagan played well in spurts although well marked by Philip Mahoney for the most part. He made one monster of a catch in the second half and finished it with a score.

Interestingly today, apart from one late injury time free, I don't remember DLS getting many (if any at all) frees inside the opposition 65 so great discipline from the Ballygunner defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Be a good game against Sixmilebridge in Sixmilebridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Be a good game against Sixmilebridge in Sixmilebridge.

Will game not be CUSACK park...?

Ballygunner need a couple of good ball winners up front......Hutchinson looks promising but will be tested more next day

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Would expect it to be Sixmilebridge, not Cusack Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Sets out early who the boss is.
    Which is really needed with this panel.
    A few more should be getting phone calls too.
    A shake up is needed with that panel who are gone stale along time ago.
    Whether we have the players to replace is another story.
    Connors and shanahan have been two great players for us over the years and like many before them it's a pity they never got the Celtic cross their efforts deserved.

Sets out early who the boss is.
    Which is really needed with this panel.
    A few more should be getting phone calls too.
    A shake up is needed with that panel who are gone stale along time ago.
    Whether we have the players to replace is another story.
    Connors and shanahan have been two great players for us over the years and like many before them it's a pity they never got the Celtic cross their efforts deserved.

Connors I get, I think he’s finished at this level. Shanahan is a huge call. He still has much to offer and we don’t exactly have an embarrassment of riches in the forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Connors I get, I think he’s finished at this level. Shanahan is a huge call. He still has much to offer and we don’t exactly have an embarrassment of riches in the forwards.

Shanahan is a huge call? If i was Cahill, he'd be one of the first id cull. Connors and a few more next.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement