Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpgIXlyWgAAryRB.jpg, https://www.nenaghguardian.ie/cache/220he0f6ef12467be3bbbabc5e3e2e7a58f8.jpg

Just 2 quick instances of players with sponsored cars, the garages put their details on the car not the ****ing jersey number of the driver, its the garage not the player who needs to be recognized, jesus some of ye on here are soft in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpgIXlyWgAAryRB.jpg, https://www.nenaghguardian.ie/cache/220he0f6ef12467be3bbbabc5e3e2e7a58f8.jpg

Just 2 quick instances of players with sponsored cars, the garages put their details on the car not the ****ing jersey number of the driver, its the garage not the player who needs to be recognized, jesus some of ye on here are soft in the head.

Yet here we are talking about the dealer in question. Perfect marketing ploy. Who cares anyway? more power to the players that get their hands on a freebie, whatever the dealer wanted to write on the car I wouldn't say no. Careers are short as we can see, and a lot of these lads are either students or on graduate salaries.

My point is its the garage details not the bloody jersey number of the driver that needs to be recognized, i cant believe im having to explain this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Can we get back to hurling instead of rabbiting on about sponsored cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    My point is its the garage details not the bloody jersey number of the driver that needs to be recognized, i cant believe im having to explain this.

Not to mention that a few players had too much power under McGrath and those same players did everything in their power last year to undermine the management.
    Fair play to Liam Cahill, weed out those guys and have a united dressing room.
    Karma is a bitch!

• Advertisement

Dont know how true it is but heard that some senior players requested a meeting with cahill and lets just say a few of them dont have to worry about meetings anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Is the intermediate final this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Cake Man wrote: »
    Yeah this is the one slight concern I'd have with dispensing Maurice, we don't seem to have any big physical target men type of forwards? Somebody above mentioned DJ Foran but hard to know if he will be involved. We seem to have an abundance of forwards in a similar model - small, fast, good hurlers but not blessed with huge physicality. I'm thinking Curran, Dunford, Tommy Ryan, Stephen Bennett, Mikey Kearney, Jack Prendergast, Peter Hogan etc. If Cahill is looking to develop a game plan around utilising the strengths of these lads (i.e. good movement and getting quick low ball into space for them to get on the end of) then all well and good. No use doing some of the brainless stuff we've seen the last few years with loading high ball into them as they simply won't win much high ball.

I kind of agree. A lot of people are talking about Connors been let go but to be honest he has been found out against speedy forwards and it seems a case of too much weights not enough speed work... I'm ok to let him go, A fantastic servant and probably one of the best corner backs over the last eight or nine years, but everyones time comes and Cahill shouldn't and isn't sentimental about these matters.
    Shanahan on the other hand has been absolutely tearing it up in the club championship and as I mentioned previously, we are not exactly blessed with an abundance of forwards.
    Shane and Stephen Bennett, Curren are all in around six foot and are not small men. They need start getting stuck in, they are not young kids anymore.
    Unfortunately DJ has been given ample opportunities and probably Mark O'Brien and Midget too. Can't see them making it unfortunately.
    Definitely think Cahill will call up a few younger lads. Kiely from Abbeyside deserves a try out though he might be a bit young but having him around the panel will do him good. Tom Barron and Iarlaith Daly are other options and obviously young Hutchinson. Apart from Dessie, I'm struggling to think of another new forward that could make a difference at championship, I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

Is the intermediate final this weekend?

Sat at 2 walsh park

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Off the top of my head to add to the above:

Meaney from DLS was very good at the weekend.
    The two Powers from Clonea and whoever their number 17 was in the half back line in the last couple of games for them cleaned up the world of ball. He reminded me of De Burca.
    Conor Power and Billy O'Keefe (may have the wrong name here) from Ballgunner

Eddie Meaney was very impressive Sunday, certainly worth a look as is Cormac McCann. Billy Power was on extended panel this year but both Powers worth looking at yes. Conor Power has lost form this year and wasn’t interested in joining the panel this year. Eddie Hayden and Billy O’Keeffe are worth a look anyway certainly.
    I’m not sure about Nolan out the field. I actually think he could dislodge SoK this year, was very impressed with him last year.

• Advertisement

If we are looking at an initial training panel, I'd include Ian Kenny, Kieran Power, Tommy Ryan, Jordan Henley, Billy Power, Evan McGrath, Midget Roche, Tom Barron, David Prendergast, Colm Roche, Michéal Harney, Mark O'Brien, Willie Hahessy as potential panelists. I know some of those lads mightn't fit the correct age bracket but from games I've seen, they are worth a look.

I thought Ian Kenny was under massive pressure Sunday. Maybe it was a bad day at the office but to me he looked to have regressed. Tom Barron is one who is worth a look for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Yeah this is the one slight concern I'd have with dispensing Maurice, we don't seem to have any big physical target men type of forwards? Somebody above mentioned DJ Foran but hard to know if he will be involved. We seem to have an abundance of forwards in a similar model - small, fast, good hurlers but not blessed with huge physicality. I'm thinking Curran, Dunford, Tommy Ryan, Stephen Bennett, Mikey Kearney, Jack Prendergast, Peter Hogan etc. If Cahill is looking to develop a game plan around utilising the strengths of these lads (i.e. good movement and getting quick low ball into space for them to get on the end of) then all well and good. No use doing some of the brainless stuff we've seen the last few years with loading high ball into them as they simply won't win much high ball.

Curran and Stephen Bennett out of the equation for next year aswell going by whats been said. Already minus TDB whose done his cruciate, not to mention the 'retirement's' and culling (more announcements to come shortly). The game plan will very much depend on what players are actually available

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Trainimng panel for the winter wil have 40 players on it, so im sure all players above will get a fair crack at the whip

and knowing cahill a few you wouldnt think of either, he will pick attitude over talent all day

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

40 player panel is a good start. There are plenty of club players waiting for their time to shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 HelloHello1234

Just to address a few things on here Conor Power was travelling for most of the season and has only returned to the balygunnar panel in the last couple of months
    DJ got a bad collarbone break and didnt see any game time this year apart from a couple of minutes in the intermidiate semi v ballygunnar.

People should really think before they speak on here.

On another note did anyone hear the recording of supoosedly Tommy ryan calling Aussie and conor Gleeson

Just to address a few things on here Conor Power was travelling for most of the season and has only returned to the balygunnar panel in the last couple of months
    DJ got a bad collarbone break and didnt see any game time this year apart from a couple of minutes in the intermidiate semi v ballygunnar.

On another note did anyone hear the recording of supoosedly Tommy ryan calling Aussie and conor Gleeson

Conor Power was invited to join the Waterford panel last year and declined. I don’t envisage that changing this year, if he was asked, unless his work circumstances have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

I know lads have been knocking around the panel with a few years and probably did not see enough game time but we need a new influx of blood into the team. When Derek McGrath took over we had the same conversations about lads being dropped, that is sport get on with it. Time waits for no one. All these lads at intercounty level give a huge amount of time to the cause, we should show them a bit of respect if 1. they retire or 2. are not part of the plans of new manager.

I will add few more to the mix worth a chance, 2 Powers from Clonea, Neil Montgomery Abbeyside, Lynch Clashmore, Keating & Gartland Ardmore, Wadding & Ryan Roanmore, Meaney & Evan Mc Grath Mt. Sion, Jack Fagan, OB DLS, Tom Barron FMW just to get ball rolling. Many of these are still under 20 next year and maybe that is where we start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

What all Ireland did Tipp win in 2017?

Oops, my bad - We still like to think that Joe Canning point in '17 didnt actually happen! I think the point I was making remains valid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

You want to kill the thread?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Conor power is not an intercounty hurler. Very good club hurler. He's 28/29 also is there any point when your getting rid of fellas that age. Eddie Hayden should definitely be called up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Oops, my bad - We still like to think that Joe Canning point in '17 didnt actually happen! I think the point I was making remains valid though.

It does, I'd never refer to them as has been. Some of the best hurlers to play the game without doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

What was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Apparently lads on here know what players are dropped before the players themselves know. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭whiteandblue

garv123 wrote: »
    Apparently lads on here know what players are dropped before the players themselves know. :rolleyes:

People are only going off what was published in the Examiner, if you have conflicting information please be a dear and share it with the group ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What was this?

I heard it, an attempt at a prank call, but wasn't even funny tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Good stuff. Hard not to feel he was mistreated this year no matter what his capabilities were. At least Davy has shown his faith in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,788 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tribute show to Brick this morning on Deise Am

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Tribute show to Brick this morning on Deise Am

A lot of Waterford players seem to divide opinion, not sure why that is but thats another days work, but I think you would find it hard to find anyone that doesn't rate Brick as one of the best hurlers of his generation. A warrior, leader and no little skill. To be nominated for 9 all stars and to win 4 from a career that never delivered an AI is some achievement. I'd say if Liam Cahill could get his hands on 15 Brick Walsh's he'd be a happy man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

Just to redress your address oh wise one. Conor power has been available for the last 3 games for ballygunner games which have taken place over a 7 week period and never got back in. I was aware of dj forans injury and we just asking a simple question regarding his status on the panel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement