Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Really excited about this management team, Molumphy and Frampton are great additions. When Cahill said he was going to get local selectors in, he couldn't have found 2 men with anymore heart and soul for Waterford. Two lads who were warriors on the field and command utmost respect off it.

When you look at what's going on in Clare and Galway at the moment (similar fiasco to us last year), we are much better placed facing into the new season. Were quick to point out how far we are behind other counties when it suits so we should also give credit where its due when things are done well, and we have gone about our business very well here.

I wouldn’t be as excited personally. Has Frampton any experience of being involved in teams? Molumphy’s experience is limited at best, does anyone know what his actual role with Wexford was this year?
    I wish them every success all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be as excited personally. Has Frampton any experience of being involved in teams? Molumphy’s experience is limited at best, does anyone know what his actual role with Wexford was this year?
    I wish them every success all the same!

He was a selector with Wexford last year. He replaced Fanning when he left to take the Waterford job. Frampton I'm not sure but he has been heavily involved with underage structures in Ballygunner. You don't need to have an army of Brian Codys on the sideline with you either, you just need good balance in your backroom team and I think Cahill is hitting the right notes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

2 good appointments, Stephen Frampton involved with some of the county under age teams. News & Star carrying interview with Liam Cahill saying the door is open to any hurler who believe they can do a job for Waterford. Hard work starts now. I heard Stephen Bennett was traveling next year on Sunday at game, big loss just as Tadgh De Burca is. We do not have these type of players growing on trees. I am sure the new Management team will be fair with anyone who wants to wear a Water ford Jersey. Agree with lot of posters S & C was all wrong last year no zip all bulk, not being an expert I am sure it is a fine balance getting it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BlueFox90

And there lies the problem .if you honestly
    Believe that then you have some crazy idea on what makes an intercounty hurler .

I am not sure you if you are on wind up or not. Please tell me the 14 hurlers better than them and enlighten me. I have watched each round of the county championship and some league games this year. Can you say the same? Moran and Brick are great servants that owe Waterford nothing. We have new management team in place and I imagine that they would like some experienced heads in the dressing room as well and I'm sure Moran in particular can still offer something on the pitch. Good luck to the new management team and I will support regardless of the 15 men that play. I hope you will do same instead of sniping.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Regarding Fra's appointment, I for one think it is a good one, he has plenty of experience, is a level headed guy and is well respected not just in Waterford but across the country. Same for Molomphy.

From the word go I believe we have really pulled a "corker" in securing the services of Cahill, not saying he is going to be a huge success as nothing is guaranteed , but think he ticks all the boxes and gives us a real chance, and being quite honest given all that has gone on before, i was surprised we secured him.

This makes me question the role Frampton played in securing his services, and then was Cahill sufficiently impressed that he then wanted Frampton as part of his set up - a sort of we are all in this together!!!!

Makes more sense to me. Best of look to both Stephens,

• Advertisement

He was a selector with Wexford last year. He replaced Fanning when he left to take the Waterford job. Frampton I'm not sure but he has been heavily involved with underage structures in Ballygunner. You don't need to have an army of Brian Codys on the sideline with you either, you just need good balance in your backroom team and I think Cahill is hitting the right notes here.

Was he actually a selector? He acted as a Major Uisce during games but was certainly wired up to management so could have had a much bigger role. He certainly has attributes that would be useful, I just wonder how much coaching he would be able to take potentially.
    As regards fitness I severely doubt he will be tasked with fitness work given he has no such experience or qualifications. An expert in these areas is vital in the modern game.

Was he actually a selector? He acted as a Major Uisce during games but was certainly wired up to management so could have had a much bigger role. He certainly has attributes that would be useful, I just wonder how much coaching he would be able to take potentially.
    As regards fitness I severely doubt he will be tasked with fitness work given he has no such experience or qualifications. An expert in these areas is vital in the modern game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Just on the radio now that Waterford were refused to play championship home games in Nolan park in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,027 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

garv123 wrote: »
    Just on the radio now that Waterford were refused to play championship home games in Nolan park in 2020.

If we have to play away again then it will prob be a repeat from 2018 with us playing Tipp in Limerick and Cork in Thurles but we might play Tipp in Cork this time and would be much better

Really messed up on the timing of this Walsh Park development if it's starting at the end of this year. Who's to blame???. Could they not start it June 2020 after we play our home games

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Is there another game on before the county final on Sunday or is it stand alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Is there another game on before the county final on Sunday or is it stand alone?

Was supposed to be the junior hurling C final that I know Abbeyside are in but I don’t think the eastern final was played due to the weather last Saturday and an injury to a player in a match scheduled before the eastern final

the senior final is a standalone fixture

http://www.hoganstand.com/Waterford/Article/Index/304761

deff not worth the money

Was there actually anything in the Examiner this morning about a player not being available this year? I can’t find anything on the online version.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

He was not a selector with Wexford. He was helping out Keith Rossiter with the coaching of the team.
    JJ Doyle and Seoirse Bulfin are Davy’s two selectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Was there actually anything in the Examiner this morning about a player not being available this year? I can’t find anything on the online version.
    Stephen Bennett named

3ships wrote: »
    Stephen Bennett named

Big loss but it's his life so best of luck to him and hopefully we see him in 2021

He was one of our chief scorers and we could struggle up front now

If Fagan has a good game in the final than he should be asked if he wants to come aboard

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

Delighted with the new Mgmt team. Cahill & Bevans strike me as a v focussed duo and the addition of Frampton & Molumphy should compliment them. And here’s the ‘but’!
    A bit disappointed in the way this has been handled visa vi Peter Queally et al. I’m not saying he was the right man for the job or that his backroom team would blow you away but i do find it a bit funny that the 2 men involved in the selection committee that turned down Peter Queally turned around and nominated a fellow club man and 1 of them nominated himself- surely a conflict of interest!! It seems to me that Peter was being stringed along as a fall back in case Cahill & Bevans option fell through! Whoever leaked the Queally appointment to the Examiner did the County and esp Peter Queally (a great servant to Waterford) a huge disservice which left a sour taste in honest Waterford GAA followers mouths.

Id love to know what people on here think?

I wish the new mgmt the very best and here’s to a successful 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lingoweet913

Spatters wrote: »
    Delighted with the new Mgmt team. Cahill & Bevans strike me as a v focussed duo and the addition of Frampton & Molumphy should compliment them. And here’s the ‘but’!
    A bit disappointed in the way this has been handled visa vi Peter Queally et al. I’m not saying he was the right man for the job or that his backroom team would blow you away but i do find it a bit funny that the 2 men involved in the selection committee that turned down Peter Queally turned around and nominated a fellow club man and 1 of them nominated himself- surely a conflict of interest!! It seems to me that Peter was being stringed along as a fall back in case Cahill & Bevans option fell through! Whoever leaked the Queally appointment to the Examiner did the County and esp Peter Queally (a great servant to Waterford) a huge disservice which left a sour taste in honest Waterford GAA followers mouths.

Id love to know what people on here think?

I wish the new mgmt the very best and here’s to a successful 2020.

Yeah I think it was handled poorly regarding Queally for sure.

I wouldn’t necessarily say there was a conflict of interest, you just don’t know how it went down. If Cahill had a few meetings with Frampton as part of the process, and was just generally impressed with him and then decided he really liked him and he was knowledgeable about Waterford hurling, and asked him - that’s grand.

I can’t see Cahill having brought on guys he didn’t meet and agree to, so even if there was a connection via club mates - every indication is that he’s his own man and would have had no problem with turning them down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

That last point is it really, I doubt Cahill was so desperate to be Waterford manager that he didn't pick his own selectors.

On the Queally aspect, the man deserves better but who knows the source. The fact that the very next day it was reported specifically that he was not going to be manager says to me that the selection committee moved quickly to quash that rumour and avoid any further embarrassment for him.

He was being slated on here before he even got the job, that to me is as bad or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Cahill and his backroom team appear a good appointment. Let’s hope he can gel the panel together and get the most out of them.....could take more than one season though I would say. After last two seasons surely the only way is up...?

Clare still without a manager the kids get this goes on the better also cork have opted for Kingston and sully. Seems a strange appointment kind of recall hearing Kingston sayin two years ago he had taken the panel as far as he could. Has the cork panel unearthed a huge amount of new talent. So t think so. What the difference between cork Re appointing Kingston and if Waterford had gone back to ‘derek’.....? Limerick and Tipp will be the ones to beat...Galway wo t be far away and then the wexicans followed by kk......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

conor05 wrote: »
    He was not a selector with Wexford. He was helping out Keith Rossiter with the coaching of the team.
    JJ Doyle and Seoirse Bulfin are Davy’s two selectors.

Fair enough but when he went there first it was published in newspapers that he was replacing Fanning as selector and he was definetly on the sidelines wired up so he wasn’t just peeling oranges

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭conor05

Fair enough but when he went there first it was published in newspapers that he was replacing Fanning as selector and he was definetly on the sidelines wired up so he wasn’t just peeling oranges

You won’t find too many oranges in Wexford boss

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Yeah I think it was handled poorly regarding Queally for sure.

I wouldn’t necessarily say there was a conflict of interest, you just don’t know how it went down. If Cahill had a few meetings with Frampton as part of the process, and was just generally impressed with him and then decided he really liked him and he was knowledgeable about Waterford hurling, and asked him - that’s grand.

I can’t see Cahill having brought on guys he didn’t meet and agree to, so even if there was a connection via club mates - every indication is that he’s his own man and would have had no problem with turning them down.

Id say he was given a list of possibile selectors by the Co board/committee and then met them thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

Tipp & Cork away next year
    Clare & Limerick at home again.
    I was looking forward to Tipp & Cork at home 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭big_drive

Relhcstirt wrote: »
    I was looking forward to Tipp & Cork at home ��

It is cork and tipp at home.
    Think GAA had it incorrect earlier on their site

big_drive wrote: »
    Relhcstirt wrote: »
    I was looking forward to Tipp & Cork at home ��

It is cork and tipp at home.
    Think GAA had it incorrect earlier on their site
    Good Stuff. Panic over!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's if your home venue if available in time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's if your home venue if available in time

Most likely scenario is probably that nothing happens by the time we hit championship, and they look to commence works afterwards.

Sure it will. PJR says the covered stand should be ready anyhow.
    Definately wont we outside the county.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

What caused the delay that prevented it being done between the Limerick game and now?

I'd rather they held off now to be honest, doubt they'll get it completed on time and we can't go on the road again after 2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement