Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Obi1mikal

Won a league in 2016 I think it was.... and if we won it this year fellas be trumpeting it from roof tops!

A league that Waterford were relegated twice from in the last 6 years.

Do you know what, yourself and Monty burns are right I am completely wrong. The players are top class and if it wasnt for pauirc fanning ruining them they would win all around.

I apologise for my out burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Obi1mikal wrote: »
    A league that Waterford were relegated twice from in the last 6 years.

Do you know what, yourself and Monty burns are right I am completely wrong. The players are top class and if it wasnt for pauirc fanning ruining them they would win all around.

I apologise for my out burst.

To be fair I think the answer is between the two!

Fanning is no great shakes & players particularly the u21 crop aren’t the world beaters we think!

To be fair I think the answer is between the two!

Fanning is no great shakes & players particularly the u21 crop aren’t the world beaters we think!

That is the point i made earlier re current management and players. people of Waterford expect because Waterford won one all ireland minor and u21, if waterford won one of each, other teams won them the other years. The players Waterford have are not as good as other counties and that is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Obi1mikal wrote: »
    That is the point i made earlier re current management and players. people of Waterford expect because Waterford won one all ireland minor and u21, if waterford won one of each, other teams won them the other years. The players Waterford have are not as good as other counties and that is a fact.

Our top 2-3 players are as good as anything in cointry - our next 7-8 are fairly good & 1-2 can do a job... and then the problems start from
    About number 12-30 there is much of a muchness good one day useless the next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Deisedozzer

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Waterford are way out of their league in the top division of hurling and should not be in the competition for the McCarthy Cup next year. Looking at what the future holds for us last night I fear we would struggle in the Joe McDonagh cup also

Each to their own but this is complete nonsense in my view. Are you seriously suggesting we wouldn't beat Kerry or Antrim? We are all concerned but this is getting totally carried away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Our fowards are poor. Brick held them together for about 2 yrs, we got to a final. Brick got older, now we've no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭conor05

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Waterford are way out of their league in the top division of hurling and should not be in the competition for the McCarthy Cup next year. Looking at what the future holds for us last night I fear we would struggle in the Joe McDonagh cup also

Each to their own but this is complete nonsense in my view. Are you seriously suggesting we wouldn't beat Kerry or Antrim? We are all concerned but this is getting totally carried away

Waterford would easily beat Kerry and Antrim but performances this year not a hope would of beaten Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

People have very short memories or for some hurling was established in Waterford in 98

In 92 we won an U21, then there was nothing until we got beaten in the 98 league final and a Munster final replay, by that point all but Tony, Hartley, Mark O'Sullivan and Flynn were making the starting 15, a good minor team the same year contributed Feeney and Kirwan to the 98 team

The old guard of cullinane, green, Frampton, Billy and then added to by the younger generation Dan, Ken, Landers, white, Bennett and also Flannery had rowed in by then

But it took a change in attitude to make 98 happen

Gone were Brenner, Fives, Dumbo, Dalton and a few more of the great hopes of '92

The question is not is Fanning the right man for the job, the question is are the players ready to scrap the play book and approach of the previous management and put there shoulder to the wheel and give 100% again, like they did in 16 & 17, anyone of them who thinks they did this year should have a long hard look at themselves

If we change the Bus driver regardless of why unless they buy in 100% we will end up parked up in July next year too

The panel will definitely be slashed, who will be the Nagle or Foley to be cut just like Derek did in his own year two

Big job, but Fanning will definitely put his stamp on it next year if allowed, he will have a better idea then most where the unwanted influence is stemming from, we could all guess but on a public forum its not fair to players who irregardless of performance have put in a massive commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Does anybody know how many players didn't make themselves available for the u20 management this year? I saw a figure of 19 players on twitter but this was not backed up by any list or reference to where the figure came from.

Now clearly there were major issues with this whole set up this year, starting training in may for God's sake, and understandable some would feel it was pointless. But if we can't get best players in the county to play on our underage teams, combined with really poor preparation, we are indeed in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Parishman

We have had this same problem with Under 21 Hurling & Football for years.

Management Teams being asked to take on teams in Spring when everyone else has been at it since Autumn previous year.
    Brain dead stuff, Unless someone is an exceptional talent the majority of lads are in limbo in regards to exposure at senior inter county level until they either star at colleges or club teams but by then the momentum coming from Juvenile stage to young adult has been lost. The knock on effect is the senior teams are not getting ready made replacements who can fit in.
    This prolongs careers for the majority of older lads at senior level, then when these lads call it a day we have a huge gap. There are exceptions to the rule, Brick, Tony, Kevin.

No joined up thinking, there should be one person over the whole structure ensuring continuity. We must also allow for late developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Derek McGrath as director of hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

PTH2009 wrote: »

Christ almighty will you please please just stop.

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Does anybody know how many players didn't make themselves available for the u20 management this year? I saw a figure of 19 players on twitter but this was not backed up by any list or reference to where the figure came from.

Now clearly there were major issues with this whole set up this year, starting training in may for God's sake, and understandable some would feel it was pointless. But if we can't get best players in the county to play on our underage teams, combined with really poor preparation, we are indeed in big trouble.
    We only have a drunken selector to go on for that figure. The fact that at 3 am he was full of bravado on Twitter tells you all you need to know about what was in charge. It’s the equivalent of driving through Cricklewood in the 60’s offering fellas a day’s work while standing at a street corner!

Christ almighty will you please please just stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

I wouldn't wish it on the man, he still gets abuse and he's not even involved with Waterford hurling anymore

BazBox wrote: »
    I wouldn't wish it on the man, he still gets abuse and he's not even involved with Waterford hurling anymore

Officially at least.

Is a director of hurling the way to go for us tbh ??

Something needs too change fast and clubs need too speak up to the CB

Seriously, would you give everyone a break and stop posting your utter sh1te for a while.

And ffs there's one o in to almost always. To to to to to to. Give us all a ****ing break.

Relax

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bugsy76

cul beag wrote: »
    We only have a drunken selector to go on for that figure. The fact that at 3 am he was full of bravado on Twitter tells you all you need to know about what was in charge. It’s the equivalent of driving through Cricklewood in the 60’s offering fellas a day’s work while standing at a street corner!
    Aren't you the hero from behind your keyboard? The selector in question gave his phone number out in the same message. Did you have the manners/balls to contact him before spewing your bile here? Perhaps you have a better insight into what happened, as opposed to someone intimately involved?
    Waterford GAA is at a crossroads and we need more people, like the U-20 management team, putting their hands up to try and get us out of the current shambles.
    What we don't need is the usual coterie of online heroes pissing into the tent from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Oh right so you think its acceptable to get beaten by 22 points. No other county would even try and defend that kind of beating.

• Advertisement

Bugsy76 wrote: »
    Aren't you the hero from behind your keyboard? The selector in question gave his phone number out in the same message. Did you have the manners/balls to contact him before spewing your bile here? Perhaps you have a better insight into what happened, as opposed to someone intimately involved?
    Waterford GAA is at a crossroads and we need more people, like the U-20 management team, putting their hands up to try and get us out of the current shambles.
    What we don't need is the usual coterie of online heroes pissing into the tent from the outside.

The truth is a bitter pill to swallow. Yes we’re at at a crossroads in this county and a whole restructuring is needed so that the likes of these fellas DON’T have a chance to be putting up their hands and instead we have proper experienced fellas in charge. In your expert opinion do you think it was the professional thing to do by sending out that tweet? There are other outlets to vent your frustration if that’s what his issue was. The fellas that put these in charge are every bit as guilty but then it is a case of ticking the box,another job filled, and round and around we go. You don’t have to be Einstein to know why players didn’t make themselves available!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Is a director of hurling the way to go for us tbh ??

Something needs too change fast and clubs need too speak up to the CB

What qualifications/experience would that person need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

The truth is a bitter pill to swallow. Yes we’re at at a crossroads in this county and a whole restructuring is needed so that the likes of these fellas DON’T have a chance to be putting up their hands and instead we have proper experienced fellas in charge. In your expert opinion do you think it was the professional thing to do by sending out that tweet? There are other outlets to vent your frustration if that’s what his issue was. The fellas that put these in charge are every bit as guilty but then it is a case of ticking the box,another job filled, and round and around we go. You don’t have to be Einstein to know why players didn’t make themselves available!

any link to tweet or who that selector is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Gardner wrote: »
    any link to tweet or who that selector is?

This?

https://twitter.com/mkell76/status/1148775179809689600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

When you say experienced lads in charge do you actually just mean a big names? Was Mick mahony not a selector, he's pretty probably as experienced as anyone. When our juveniles were going well a few years ago a lot of the lads doing the training weren't big names but were then cast aside in favour of well known lads. I see it in clubs with them paying lads to come in even though they have perfectly good coaches in there own club.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, have a day off will you..

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

deiseach wrote: »

Jesus Christ surely we have hit rock bottom now - we are a joke, worse than a badly run club side

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

The u20s football going the same way as the hurling unfortunately!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

The u20s football going the same way as the hurling unfortunately!

3 12 to 2 points at half time . Demoralising stuff for all involved

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Full time

Cork 5-23
    Wat 0-07.....grim

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement