Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

_blaaz wrote: »
    Full time

Cork 5-23
    Wat 0-07.....grim

That’s a very strong Cork team who would be very close to Kerry the last couple of years at minor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

it’s been a tough week, particularly for those lads involved both teams. To ship 2 hammerings like that in 3 days is not good for their welfare and development. I hope they stay at it.

It’s been a nightmare year on the intercounty scene and I’m glad we’re out of everything now because I find it stressful and upsetting looking at how far back we’ve fallen in a short space of time. Up until 3/4 years ago it looked like we were doing things right at underage, for a period of 10/12 years we we were competing strongly, winning competitions and most importantly producing good players. For some reason that has stopped all of a sudden and the rot is already starting to set in at senior level as a result.

Question needs to be asked why has this happened. What are we not doing that we were doing 10 or so years ago and b) what needs to be done to turn it around

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭EYEBALLSOUT

Like the other night with The u20s Its the players and mgmt I feel sorry for. There needs to be an acceptance by the Co Board that things need to change. I know football wouldn’t be as strong traditionally as the hurling at intercounty but club football in Waterford over the last 30 years has been fairly competitive but like everything else we are doing things half arsed.
    No matter what code, there needs to be a consensus at board level to support all teams 100% in terms of training, preparation etc... irrespective of cost, this county can compete with the best. Money should never be the barrier to success as success in itself will generate more money.
    V disappointed for those lads and all involved. Hopefully this year will be a turning point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Like the other night with The u20s Its the players and mgmt I feel sorry for. There needs to be an acceptance by the Co Board that things need to change. I know football wouldn’t be as strong traditionally as the hurling at intercounty but club football in Waterford over the last 30 years has been fairly competitive but like everything else we are doing things half arsed.
    No matter what code, there needs to be a consensus at board level to support all teams 100% in terms of training, preparation etc... irrespective of cost, this county can compete with the best. Money should never be the barrier to success as success in itself will generate more money.
    V disappointed for those lads and all involved. Hopefully this year will be a turning point.

While not being supportive of the county board, I was less critical than others over last few weeks.

The developments over the last number of months made me realise that this is a complete and utter failure at board level. They may be doing it in the best interests of Waterford GAA but it's not clear that their actions are hurting GAA in the county.

A total and utter clear out is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

We won two and drew one of the six games we played at underage football this year. I think that counts as a good year and I hope the lesson to be learned is to not half-ass the preparation for the teams. Oh, and anyone who says we need to abandon football as a county can get to f***.

• Advertisement

deiseach wrote: »
    We won two and drew one of the six games we played at underage football this year. I think that counts as a good year and I hope the lesson to be learned is to not half-ass the preparation for the teams. Oh, and anyone who says we need to abandon football as a county can get to f***.

I don’t think anyone can realistically say ‘forget about football ‘. Its part of dna and although we haven’t achieved a whole lot, we’ve still produced some fine footballers over the years and sent a few to Railway cup teams - Richie Power from Rathgormack stands out for me. Anyway, i agree with you, anyone that has that opinion are far removed from Waterford GAA circles.
    The only point i was making was :
    I want the Co Board to support our teams 100% (no skimping) so that they can put their best foot forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

4 point win for the camogs today over Clare and into the knock out stage

KevIRL wrote: »
    4 point win for the camogs today over Clare and into the knock out stage

Well done to all involved!!

I don’t think anyone can realistically say ‘forget about football ‘. Its part of dna and although we haven’t achieved a whole lot, we’ve still produced some fine footballers over the years and sent a few to Railway cup teams - Richie Power from Rathgormack stands out for me. Anyway, i agree with you, anyone that has that opinion are far removed from Waterford GAA circles.
    I want the Co Board to support our teams 100% (no skimping) so that they can put their best foot forward.

??? Your trying to talk about football being in our DNA and use Richie Power from Rathgormack playing railway cup as a reference point?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

I think some clubs are giving up on football apparently, 2 walkovers given in the Senior championship this weekend. A disgrace that clubs can’t find 15 players to play or don’t care enough to field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Jerry Atrick

I think some clubs are giving up on football apparently, 2 walkovers given in the Senior championship this weekend. A disgrace that clubs can’t find 15 players to play or don’t care enough to field.

Gaultier is exclusively football as far as I know; so unless they are giving up on the only game they know then your statement above is false.

??? Your trying to talk about football being in our DNA and use Richie Power from Rathgormack playing railway cup as a reference point?

Have a night off

Everyone should take a night off according to you! Richie Power was a v good footballer (maybe not to your high standard) but the point was he was one of many that the County produced.
    Stradbally, The Nire, Ballinacourty, Rathgormack, Killrossanty to name but a few are proud football clubs with some very unlucky not to win a munster club.
    But as always, your first response is to knock.
    If you have nothing constructive to say, don’t say it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What happened there?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

hardybuck wrote: »
    What happened there?

Both an Rinn and Gaultier gave walkovers, this discredits Waterford Gaa enormously, there is no integrity in the Waterford SFC. Both clubs should be thrown out and the opportunity used to reduce the amount of teams in Senior championship. Can anyone give me an example of another Senior club anywhere in the country give a walkover in Senior championship? This does not happen in other counties, the Waterford competitions need a complete overhaul they mean nothing to players and supporters anymore, if you want evidence of this just look at the attendance at our county finals!! Kerry senior hurling final attracts more than the Waterford one. Gaa in waterford is in trouble and this is another example, albeit a small one.

Both an Rinn and Gaultier gave walkovers, this discredits Waterford Gaa enormously, there is no integrity in the Waterford SFC. Both clubs should be thrown out and the opportunity used to reduce the amount of teams in Senior championship. Can anyone give me an example of another Senior club anywhere in the country give a walkover in Senior championship? This does not happen in other counties, the Waterford competitions need a complete overhaul they mean nothing to players and supporters anymore, if you want evidence of this just look at the attendance at our county finals!! Kerry senior hurling final attracts more than the Waterford one. Gaa in waterford is in trouble and this is another example, albeit a small one.

Basically, from what is being said, Gaultier couldn’t field. They have a huge pick so this is very strange. They have been in the last 2 junior finals with their B team with big numbers togged and have been blessed to have big panels at under 21 also the last few years. This is their 2nd walkover in 3 years given also. It’s all a mystery as to how they couldn’t field.

However, they finished 2nd in their group but wouldn’t have good enough scoring difference to be the best 2nd place team and get straight to a quarter final. But, by giving a walkover, scoring difference becomes irrelevant and can’t be used so there may have to be a draw or playoff. A draw and a team that gave a walkover have a 1 in 3 chance in making the 1/4 final. A playoff means 2 extra games and the championship delayed further as clubs have hurling fixtures so the county board may just decide to do a draw.

I genuinely think Gaultier and Brickeys should be kicked out of the championship and face relegation for walkovers in senior championship and face huge fines. It’s the only way such disrespect will stop. To say any club can’t get 15 on the pitch is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭willbeuptuesday

Lads it’s very clear that things in Waterford Gaa are not in a good place, we are not the first county to find ourselves in this situation but it’s how we react will determine our future. There was a great article in the examiner a few weeks ago about how Limerick turned things around (getting rid of divisional boards was the first thing they did). Today on the RTÉ website there is an article discussing corks turn around, it’s worth a read and I have just copied the bit about underage but it’s good for thought.
    “ Whether this tirade was the spark, the tanker appears to have been turned around in Cork. While the current generation have not yet won an All-Ireland at minor or U20, Munster titles were delivered in emphatic fashion at minor level in 2017 and at U20 in 2018. That this Cork U20 team were subsequently pipped by Tipperary in a smash and grab All-Ireland defeat later in the year is probably not reflective of the strength of those crops.

Cast an eye further down the age grades and the strides are even more impressive. Cork have won four of the last six Tony Forristal tournaments (essentially, the U14 All-Irelands), beating Kilkenny 2-15 to 3-6 in the most recent decider in 2018. Not only that, but they've won five in a row in the Sonny Walsh tournament (the B grade at U14) indicating formidable strength in depth.

Colm Crowley, the Games Development Administrator who's presided over this era of success, told the Irish Examiner that a regional approach to development squads had paid huge dividends in Cork.

"We are now getting players from clubs that traditionally wouldn't have featured for Cork in hurling in the past. The net is getting wider and that means that fewer players are slipping through the cracks."

Cork schools reached just one Dr Harty Cup final between 2006 and 2014 - with Charleville being battered 3-19 to 0-03 by Ardscoil Rís in 2011.

Things look a little different now with Cork schools appearing in four of the last five Harty Cup finals, albeit losing all of them until this year.

In 2019, we had an all-Cork Harty Cup final, with Midleton CBS beating Christian Brothers College 2-12 to 0-14 in Páirc Ui Rinn. “

Opinions please

Everyone should take a night off according to you! Richie Power was a v good footballer (maybe not to your high standard) but the point was he was one of many that the County produced.
    Stradbally, The Nire, Ballinacourty, Rathgormack, Killrossanty to name but a few are proud football clubs with some very unlucky not to win a munster club.
    But as always, your first response is to knock.
    If you have nothing constructive to say, don’t say it at all.

I’m not knocking anyone I Just don’t know how you your talking about one guy playing railway cup 25 years ago as a basis for proof that there’s a tradition in Waterford. Have you been away for the past 25 years? There’s been loads of Waterford players played railway cup, which as a competition itself is non existent anymore anyway.

Basically, from what is being said, Gaultier couldn’t field. They have a huge pick so this is very strange. They have been in the last 2 junior finals with their B team with big numbers togged and have been blessed to have big panels at under 21 also the last few years. This is their 2nd walkover in 3 years given also. It’s all a mystery as to how they couldn’t field.

However, they finished 2nd in their group but wouldn’t have good enough scoring difference to be the best 2nd place team and get straight to a quarter final. But, by giving a walkover, scoring difference becomes irrelevant and can’t be used so there may have to be a draw or playoff. A draw and a team that gave a walkover have a 1 in 3 chance in making the 1/4 final. A playoff means 2 extra games and the championship delayed further as clubs have hurling fixtures so the county board may just decide to do a draw.

I genuinely think Gaultier and Brickeys should be kicked out of the championship and face relegation for walkovers in senior championship and face huge fines. It’s the only way such disrespect will stop. To say any club can’t get 15 on the pitch is laughable.

Only 4 teams go straight to quarter finals from group stages. All others into round robin. Don't see what difference the two walkovers make as scoring difference is irrelevant for the rest of the teams bar best 2nd places team which will be either Nire or Rathgormack.

Time for the county board to put a fixture plan in place and stick to it to avoid such issues in future. If fellas aren't there then fair enough, it's on their heads. Players need certainty and to plan their holidays etc around certain fixtures. If anything at all, these walkovers will highlight the need for change.

Only 4 teams go straight to quarter finals from group stages. All others into round robin. Don't see what difference the two walkovers make as scoring difference is irrelevant for the rest of the teams bar best 2nd places team which will be either Nire or Rathgormack.

Time for the county board to put a fixture plan in place and stick to it to avoid such issues in future. If fellas aren't there then fair enough, it's on their heads. Players need certainty and to plan their holidays etc around certain fixtures. If anything at all, these walkovers will highlight the need for change.

Scoring difference cannot be used when there’s walkovers given apparently and the best 2nd place team would be decided by scoring difference.

Scoring difference cannot be used when there’s walkovers given apparently and the best 2nd place team would be decided by scoring difference.

It was between Nire and Rathgormack either way. Can't see this changing if people use their heads.

• Advertisement

It was between Nire and Rathgormack either way. Can't see this changing if people use their heads.

Totally agree, however when it comes to GAA rules and our own county board, common sense seems to be the least of their senses.

I’m not knocking anyone I Just don’t know how you your talking about one guy playing railway cup 25 years ago as a basis for proof that there’s a tradition in Waterford. Have you been away for the past 25 years? There’s been loads of Waterford players played railway cup, which as a competition itself is non existent anymore anyway.

Jaysus relax man! He was only one example, and one that came to mind- there is a tradition there of producing good players is the point to ‘forget about football ‘ notion which was the original point i was responding to - yea there have been more but I’m hardly going to name them all!!

Chill the beans!! It’s the point i was making as opposed to the names of the players most people would focus on.

Stay positive! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Were another level below today's games tbh

Something big neds to happen before the start of the new season. What it is I dont knw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Were another level below today's games tbh

Something big neds to happen before the start of the new season. What it is I dont knw ?

That's a pity as I'd imagine everyone was hoping you'd have the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Saturdayman gone very quiet on here today.
    Any chance to criticize certain people and he is usually straight on it.
    Gaultier give a walkover and he is gone into hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Not gone anywhere Pj jnr keep your hair on. You had my number to ring me plenty of times and you didn’t, brave boy hiding behind your anon name.

Anything I say is generally objective and to challenge the current status quo - very seldom personal, the last 24 hours has shown up some very bitter people in this county.

Any knows anything about sport or the Gaultier club knows we are very serious about our football & sporting in every way possible. Travel anywhere at any level for a game of football.

Brickeys gave two walkovers last weekend not a word, we give one today with some very legitimate reasons & having exhausted all avenues with board & there’s a county wide meltdown.

I appreciate that’s because it’s my club and more so me, people want to take a few personal swings at me, belt away no skin off my nose - just leave my club and club mates out of it ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

You want to meet people for coffee to discuss how to change Waterford's fortunes when your own club are clearly underachieving for the massive pick ye have.
    The Nire would never give a walkover.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

You want to meet people for coffee to discuss how to change Waterford's fortunes when your own club are clearly underachieving for the massive pick ye have.
    The Nire would never give a walkover.

You changed the tone of your message fairly quick - 10 mins ago you were talking about promoting underage hurling in dunmore east - now after reconsidering your position just back on with the usual bitterness & acrimony & it’s there I’ll be leaving it tonight Junior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gardner

Jaysus quick look on the GAA results over the weekend and going back to the old city players debate and lack of players coming through. Erins Own under Mick Mahoney on the verge of a relegation. playoff to Junior hurling probably vs Fenor. anyone have any details on them? they like tramore have a huge catchment area and should be doing a lot better

• Advertisement

Gardner wrote: »
    Jaysus quick look on the GAA results over the weekend and going back to the old city players debate and lack of players coming through. Erins Own under Mick Mahoney on the verge of a relegation. playoff to Junior hurling probably vs Fenor. anyone have any details on them? they like tramore have a huge catchment area and should be doing a lot better

They are looking to peak for championship id say. Under system brought in last year you are not eliminated even if you lose all your group games. I think the groups only decide what stage and who you play. I could be wrong but last year Ballyduff Lower lost all their group games, won their first championship game (against ferrybank who had done well in the group stages but ended up in a relegation final) played around September and won another after that to actually get to the semi final before losing to eventual winners Clonea.

A stupid system

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement