Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Brainless set up again sadly. Tiny pitch against hugely physical side yet picked a fairly lightweight team. No physical presence in forwards. Moran and Brick should be up there to provide some strength and ball winning ability.

Due to lightweight attack they've not used the wind instead trying to work short balls through congested areas. It cant be done at the best of times in Walsh Park, but its absolutely suicidal against Limerick. Clearly they've learned absolutely nothing from the Clare game. But that much was obvious from when the team was named. It's been highly predictable sadly.

Limerick are impressive and will likely pull away quickly with a gale force wind at their backs and put up a large score.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hoosier_daddy

Fair to say fanning hasn’t a clue playing a 2 man full forward line playing with a gale. I would have Peter Queally or fergal Hartley on speed dial if I was paddy joe

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

The flights are booked to the states along time before today by the looks of it! Shocking. About time now these pre Madonnas are called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

This is pathetic

Only for some of the new lads in, who are giving a good account of themselves, it would be worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Ah just call it a day ref we get the picture. Make it end. This is cruel to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭decies

I heard rumours about players not turning up for training and drinking while I was at the races yesterday , looking at this debacle you’d begin to wonder . How far is the bottom of the barrel .

A few of the lads actually did have flights booked after the last game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Embarrassing. To see a team play like that is truly embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,074 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

God this is torture and seeing a lot of fans walking out says it all

Fanning still has 1 year and only way too will go is if he walks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

PTH2009 wrote: »
    God this is torture and seeing a lot of fans walking out says it all

Fanning still has 1 year and only way too will go is if he walks

There is no way he will see it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Fair to say fanning hasn’t a clue playing a 2 man full forward line playing with a gale. I would have Peter Queally or fergal Hartley on speed dial if I was paddy joe
    He doesn't have a clue but the players have to take a long look in the mirror as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭MfMan

JeffKenna wrote: »
    He doesn't have a clue but the players have to take a long look in the mirror as well.

Exactly. Disgraceful to play like that in front of a your own paying home crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

It’s not so much a management problem, the team is severely lacking forwards. For all the hype about some of them coming through, blaming McGrath for being defensive and now Fanning for lack of game plan, the front 6 have never stepped up to the plate with any consistency.

In addition to that, some of them need to engage their brain: you can’t blame game plan every time there’s a few individuals making brainless decision after brainless decision.

Waterford didn’t become bad overnight but that was embarrassing, the lack of effort was the most annoying thing. 2nd half was just sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Time for an outside manager....we not at the fcuking races

Mahony,prunty,calum lyons and mikey kearmey at least tried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

As a netural that 2nd half was tough to watch, forget systems, wides, sweepers and so on the lack of effort was incredibly concerning and inexcusable

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

K McG looks visibly upset on RTE and you can understand why

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Player discipline is becoming an increasing problem. Players are get exasperated so they're swinging hurls at the legs. Maurice was lucky he got away with a yellow and not a red!

O Mahony and the red, shame for such a great passionate player

I agree, but I know a few of them personally and I know they have plans for the states since two weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I agree, but I know a few of them personally and I know they have plans for the states since two weeks ago
    Forgive my ignorance but what has that got to do with the performance they gave today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Players have clearly downed tools under fanning, a few players trying but its obvious from the body language who isnt. Disgraceful really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

And what does that say about man management. Absolute shambles today. No game plan. It’s obvious to me anyway that there’s a serious breakdown between players and management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

jive wrote: »
    It’s not so much a management problem, the team is severely lacking forwards. For all the hype about some of them coming through, blaming McGrath for being defensive and now Fanning for lack of game plan, the front 6 have never stepped up to the plate with any consistency.

And when did we last play a forward 6. Under Michael Ryan and before that under Justin. Very hard for a forward line to play as a unit when they are constantly outnumbered by defenders.
    Even worse today when 3 similar players started in the half forward line, Mahony, Pendergast and Kearney and they spend most of the game going into midfield and the backs looking for short passes. Then when they get that pass they run with it and are usually dispossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dammo

Three matches, no goals - very poor. The first touch all over the field is shocking. Is he different than he comes across on tv but Fanning doesn’t look very inspirational or animated on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Absolutely shocking performance, but unfortunately not exactly unexpected given what has gone on the last few weeks.

Possibly the worst display I've ever witnessed from a Waterford team. No urgency, work rate or effort which is unforgivable really.

Fanning has clearly lost the dressing room but the players have a lot to answer for too.

An absolute shambles this team has turned into. Absolutely gutted to see how this season has panned out

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Desperate
    Shambolic
    Embarrassing

This team has seriously lost their way. The player's touch is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Desperate
    Shambolic
    Embarrassing

This team has seriously lost their way. The player's touch is abysmal.

How can players ‘touch’ go in reverse. Most of these guys played in an all Ireland final 21 months ago.......! Reasonable league apart form game v Dublin and final so signs were good enough coming into May 12th but wheels have fallen so far off the wagon since that it is farcical.......short passes into groups of players in tight spaces being dispossessed with ease.....horsed our of it physically.......messing up the basics etc. it’s just as well we don’t have to play Carlow in a relegation play off as it would be joe mcdonagh cup for us fairly quickly.......faced with possible defeats to Kerry etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

Fanning did Limericks job for them. Set up with no physical presence in attack and tried to play through congested areas. It couldn't have been made easier for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Blame the mgmt, blame the players. The buck stops with the county board & until there is seismic change there this is our lot and worse.

Remember they put in fanning.

The players you speak of are former all stars & young hurler / hurler or year or dual all Ireland winners at minor & u21.

fanning has lost the dressing room & once that happens there is no coming back from it. Time to go & bring paddy joe & pat flynn with you.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Fair play to Prunty, Lyons and Jack they gave it their all today . Unfortunately Kevin Moran hasn't got it any more, owes us nothing. It hasn't worked out this year for players or management. Fanning will have to go and some players have a lot of soul searching to do. Lacked fitness, sharpness and physicality. No obvious game plan or leadership . Even in the warm up fanning was walking around on his own . Fresh start needed next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

County board and all connected need to go now and don't let the door hit them on the way out either!

That was a disgrace today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement