Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Blame the mgmt, blame the players. The buck stops with the county board & until there is seismic change there this is our lot and worse.

Remember they put in fanning.

The players you speak of are former all stars & young hurler / hurler or year or dual all Ireland winners at minor & u21.

fanning has lost the dressing room & once that happens there is no coming back from it. Time to go & bring paddy joe & pat flynn with you.

Probably correct there. Another noticeable feature was the noise Limerick fans were making.....it was like they were the home team. The ‘Waterford fans’ and public in general have no belief in the side either.......the second limerick goal was just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,923 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

could be wrong here but if Kerry win the Joe Mcdonagh cup than they will face us in a Relagation/promotion playoff for a place in the 2020 Munster championship

horrible 2nd half with Walsh Park like a morgue. This home advantage bollocks was truly vanised.

We scraped into a league final due to Galway ****ing up (there draw vs Carlow cost them a bit). We beat Offaly, Laois and Carlow in mostly horrible conditions. Galway twice who could of beat us and Clare didnt try. It was a nice day out in Croke Park for the league final but the wheels fell off that day

Fanning wont walk away imo but players will. Were in serious trouble and something which we didnt imagine after winning the 2013 Minor and 2016 under 21

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

You can blame management and you will not hear any defence from me but seriously the attitude of majority of players today was an absolute disgrace . With exception of Callum Lyons, Conor Prunty and Jack Prendergast who gave it everything the rest need to have a serious look at themselves - have they no pride in themselves or their county I don’t care who was in charge . They ask supporters to attend games, functions and put their hands in their pockets and then just decide the could not be arsed - some thing is badly badly wrong - absolutely disgusted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I can understand the anger towards the county board sometimes, but how in gods name can you hold them accountable for that horror show. The simple things were brutal today, ball just bouncing off each other. We seemed outnumbered in the stands but hard to gauge when we had nothing to shout about other than the first 4 mins. Gutted is an understatement and there isn't a single positive that can be taken from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭spideyman92

PTH2009 wrote: »
    could be wrong here but if Kerry win the Joe Mcdonagh cup than they will face us in a Relagation/promotion playoff for a place in the 2020 Munster championship

horrible 2nd half with Walsh Park like a morgue. This home advantage bollocks was truly vanised.

We scraped into a league final due to Galway ****ing up (there draw vs Carlow cost them a bit). We beat Offaly, Laois and Carlow in mostly horrible conditions. Galway twice who could of beat us and Clare didnt try. It was a nice day out in Croke Park for the league final but the wheels fell off that day

Fanning wont walk away imo but players will. Were in serious trouble and something which we didnt imagine after winning the 2013 Minor and 2016 under 21

I'd agree with ya about the league. People got carried away with results against poor opposition. The weather in the first Galway league game was so bad it was hard to judge anything from and then Galway slipped up in the semi final having lead for most of the game. Even in those big wins against Carlow etc. I thought at the time that there was some patchy performances(as well as weird management decisions) that would be punished by better opposition which seems to be the case now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Folks, was James Murray there today? I didn't see him but maybe he was up in the stand?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭5948ai

What can you say after that today... Still speechless

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The worst thing about today is that it isn't even a surprise that it happened like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Club Deise coming out telling us to go easy on them? You must be joking me! We are the ones putting our hands in our pockets year in year out, supporting fundraising and traveling all over to support them. The players do alright out of being intercounty players both financially, leisurely and work wise. It’s not too much to ask to at least represent the jersey with a bit of pride and not make themselves an embarrassment to both themselves and the supporters. To show no f###king heart or intensity which are basic requirements is nothing short of a disgrace. HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME.

Can see now why Fanning was always in the backroom team and not number 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

cul beag wrote: »
    Club Deise coming out telling us to go easy on them? You must be joking me! We are the ones putting our hands in our pockets year in year out, supporting fundraising and traveling all over to support them. The players do alright out of being intercounty players both financially, leisurely and work wise. It’s not too much to ask to at least represent the jersey with a bit of pride and not make themselves an embarrassment to both themselves and the supporters. To show no f###king heart or intensity which are basic requirements is nothing short of a disgrace. HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME.

Spent 60K on a training camp.to portugal (while underage football etc left to rot)

Tbh i cant think any reason to justify spending yet more money going to cork next sat night tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

You think he'd stay? Jesus. That's worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Have been going to waterford hurling matches since 1983 and I've seen some dark days and this ranks right up there. Dismal.
    Don't even know where to start. As others have said embarrassing. What is most hard to swallow is the lack of effort in the second half and how we just caved once they went 6 ahead.

Fanning has to go for a start. there is no way back from that for him but also the players need to have a long hard look at themselves.

The Galway game in the league in Walsh park was the last time we scored a goal from play. Tipp put up 30 points for the first time in their history against us last day and Limerick scored their joint highest championship score today- the last time they did that was against Kerry.

Shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

The fanning interview after the match was poor. As inept as the performance on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

How in the name of God do we approach next Saturday evening down in Cork? Live on Sky Sports too. Another embarrassing showing in store is the only conclusion that can I can see.

Hard to see many travelling down to it and who would blame the supporters holding onto their hard earned money. We managed to get up for the dead rubber last year with Brick's last game and all that, cant see what the motivation will be next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

The new Walsh Park? Scrap the idea, what we have will do is fine for what we need it for.

Use the money too Build a training centre (s) instead in sensible locations in the county.

Use the money to target primary Schools

Use the money to target secondary schools

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dont Stop

Terrible stuff. A new direction might be needed against Cork, altogether. Something needs to change in 6 days or more humiliation will follow.

Score predictions v Cork next weekend. 5-31 to 2-8 like 1982 Munster final.......could be on the cards.....! Slight correction 1982 Munster final we scored 3-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Probably correct there. Another noticeable feature was the noise Limerick fans were making.....it was like they were the home team. The ‘Waterford fans’ and public in general have no belief in the side either.......the second limerick goal was just embarrassing.

How did Moran who is a great defender and former All Star let the ball go past him into Hegarty for that goal. He should have covered Hegarty instead of going for that 40/60 ball. Next year is a new year. But there has to be a performance against Cork. They cant roll over like they did today. Why didn't they push up on Limerick? It's the only way to rattle them. This letting Limerick play it out is suicide because you wont lay a glove on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

I don’t know what to say after that. My ears are still ringing from the roars of the fantastic Limerick supporters who came and took over Walsh Park before their hurlers did the same.

What a miserable Waterford performance and no point naming players at this stage. We’re just not at the races and the blame has to lie with management. Yes the players are the ones who didn’t perform and they were embarrassing but it’s the managements job to get the best out of the team and clearly if hasn’t happened. I’m sure they did their best but unfortunately just not working out.

One thing that’s for certain is that we need to stop picking players on reputation and only pick players on form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Score predictions v Cork next weekend. 5-31 to 2-8 like 1982 Munster final.......could be on the cards.....! Slight correction 1982 Munster final we scored 3-6.

I was there and the following year in limerick where cork beat us 3-22 to 0-12. My brother threw his Waterford scarf and flag into the Shannon on the way out and has never been to a Waterford game since. True story 😂😂

I was there and the following year in limerick where cork beat us 3-22 to 0-12. My brother threw his Waterford scarf and flag into the Shannon on the way out and has never been to a Waterford game since. True story 😂😂

Yes. Two finals and utterly annihilated in both.....’82 was sickening but to get a hiding the following year was almost worse despite the narrower margin. Difference in those days though we had an average team with a hand full of very players such as Galvin Mossie Walsh, pat mcgrath and Jim Greene.......fast forward to this crop who have all Ireland under age success. All Ireland final appearance etc and its probably worse to be getting beaten by cricket score twice within two weeks. Don’t know what future is but there is something fundamentally wrong.......can’t imagine what it will be like next year if fanning stays.......and I’m sure he will....support will be half what it is this year. Does this year vindicate ‘Mcgraths’ system....only one or two hidings in his tenure......Limerick today and to a less extent in league final just looked larger, fitter, better touch, tactics, etc. etc. typical waterford passage of play was a corner or half back to get a loose ball then attempt a ‘stick pass’ to a colleague surrounded by 2/3/4 limerick players......9 Times out of ten ball was turned over and a score for them materialized. Similar with puck outs. Soky was drilling low balls down the middle at speed nd higher risk of being intercepted.......:in first halt there Shanahan our ball winner and supposed target man hardly one any aerial ball.......The only conclusion to come to about Austin gleeson is that he is burned out lacks motivation or is carying some kind of injury......rant over.......

Minor match poor also........0-11 to 0-11. Was like a football match. Neither team apppeared as if they could deal with the windy conditions.

Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

JesusRef wrote: »
    The new Walsh Park? Scrap the idea, what we have will do is fine for what we need it for.

Use the money too Build a training centre (s) instead in sensible locations in the county.

Use the money to target primary Schools

Use the money to target secondary schools

There is a fine centre out in Carriganore.

We badly need a decent ground. I think they are choosing the wrong option with Walsh Park.

No matter how good or bad we are we should always be looking at the schools. Teams stagnate if the youth set up isnt correct. I dont think our set up is regarding youth is the worst as we do have some good young hurlers. I think the issues lay with the CB and the **** show they have presided over for many years. Zero signs of ambitions to move forward.

Alot needs to change for Waterford to be successful. The current set up is proving to be detrimental to our progression. We have players who have the ability to be winning Munsters and AI, whether they have the heart and desire is another thing. Regardless of the management team there is no way we should be getting beat as we have done twice in this championship. It is embarrassing. Waterford use to be known for having the spirit and fight i dont see none of those two anymore. The start of the match today looked like we might of found those again but alas it was not to be.

We are consistently making excuses but im afraid we have run out of them now. We used to be the team the neutrals would like to see win, now we are the team no one wants to watch. Talk of puke hurling, dirty players, bitter players etc.....its feeding down to the supporters which is never a good sign and lets be honest sometime this thread can be testament to that.

A clear out from the top is required. Get someone in who cares, who wants to bring the good out of hurling in Waterford, East and West, a person who will bring Waterford to the levels they should be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

Lads/Lassies,
    Everything we do in Waterford GAA is half arsed. Very little thought put into it because there is no forward thinking going on at any level in Co Board. Asleep at the wheel. Waterford haven’t won an All Ireland in 60 YEARS and no one has asked the question WHY???

A little bit about today’s game. We have team who are not
    1. Playing as a team
    2. Not trying hard enough
    3. Taking no personal responsibility such as:
    *Indiscipline- 2 sending off in last 2 games
    *Players with Reputations going missing
    *Missing Goal chances at vital stages
    *Players diving, looking for frees or worse- walking off feigning injury. Where is the Leadership on the field??
    But first port of call by players will be to blame the mgmt. Analyse their own performance first. How come the new players that came into the setup played well?? Namely Prendergast, Prunty, Lyons. There needs to be a clear out of players who think their too proud to wear the jersey.
    With regards to the mgmt, the results will ultimately come back on them. But i have to say that the team didn’t really give them much chance to effect the game in any way by way if moves etc.. as they were never really in the game. Either Fanning gets in good people with him or he’ll be shown his P45.

Continuing on from my opening point, things are at an all time low and clibs need to start taking responsibility here. We have a co board who are inept with no forward thinking people on it and clubs are sending the same old same old to Co Board meetings with no progress being made or no ideas on how drive the thing forward or even bring it up to a level of that expected in other counties- half arsed!
    Development squads are a disgrace- unqualified (& i dont care about what level coaching course levels attained) personnel driving the coaching and physical development of kids within the County for the last number- only punching in the time.
    Solution:-
    • Scrap Development squads and leave the kids with their clubs and friends where they will learn the basics. Stop making Gods out of these kids and handing them a Waterford jersey at such a young age. You have to earn that Jersey. The Good players at 14 are not necessarily the good players at 19/20. Allow for late developers
    • Pump resources into Developing the Schools- Primary & Secondary like in Kk, Cork now and Tipp.
    • Put in a proper Mgmt structure in place which is overseen by a committee which will include Former Intercounty players.
    • Get in quality Coaches who are Capable and pay them well.
    • Put in place a Training plan designed by experts in the Hurling, Physical areas- agree it, stick to it and after a period of time review it and update where necessary.
    At the moment what we have is half arsed and the results reflect that. And don’t say that we won a Minor All Ireland and u21 All Ireland. Same bunch of players. We need successive teams competing for All Ireland’s to deem it a successful system. At the moment its Half Arsed!

Team Mgmt
    My opinion here is get in Former players who have shown an interest in coaching teams to take over from u16 onwards. We had a situation a few yrs ago whereby Paul Flynn, Dave Bennett and Tom Feeney were keen to take over a team but were turned down because they wanted there own setup and not one that they would inherit. Imagine turning down these people, that experience and depriving those kids the opportunity to be coached by these men? Half Arsed
    Thankfully that all changed when the ‘No Parents’ involved rule came and they are now with the u16 development squad.

Senior Mgmt
    This year when the position became available, they interviewed some great candidates but were these people were told they’d have have a budget and if the spend exceeded that budget they would have to fundraise for the money. What other County does that??? Half Arsed.

We can blame mgmt, players etc. but the reality is that results and the state of our Games (Hurling & Football) lie with the top brass who are drunk at the wheel. Time for the clubs to take out the breathalyzer and do the right thing- get young blood in to represent them at board level. People with fresh perspective and not afraid to spend the money while getting value for money for the basics:
    • Coaches
    •Proper Training Facitlities
    • Resources

What we have is not working and is half arsed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Wonder what Phil Fanning will make of things in Tuesdays News and Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Spatters

🙈🙈 not looking forward to that

Is that his dad or brother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭914

Is that his dad or brother

Father

914 wrote: »
    Father

Biased I'd say

**** me its frustrating tonight thinking over the whole season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

Prunty and Calum Lyons played so well til the end today.
    In their 1st year in I feel bad for the lads.

Prunty played on the U21 team in 2016, although a great player, he was not one of the main men of the side....

How is he now out performing all those players in his 1st year.... Players with 5 years experience under their belt. It doesn't make sense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement