Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

brookville wrote: »
    think that was 3 year ago collins hit the last ball out to him got caught in the lights.I actually thought he would of came back this year after the break but we're lucky enough in this county not many distractions or lads declining a invite.
    as others have said above hopefully adrian mullen can be a addition to the fowards when he comes in later it'll also be intresting to see will darren mullen push for a corner back spot.I think tommy is doing ok his still very raw but his learning quick.he has made a few mistakes but hopefully he learns from them.im sure the players will be very dissapointed after last sunday and no better team than tipp to try get things back on track.Tipp are in a similar position to us rebuilding while missing alot with injuries.They look to have better fowards on paper but they'll play the way we like to play it'll be intresting to see what changes are made.

I think we all should remember Jackie's early days in minor and U21 in a KK jersey - he struggled.

I suppose it's a lesson for us all re: giving out about young lads who are starting out in their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I think we all should remember Jackie's early days in minor and U21 in a KK jersey - he struggled.

I suppose it's a lesson for us all re: giving out about young lads who are starting out in their career.

Very true, thought the same thing myself when I watched that. We remember the latter years and tend to forget the earlier years so definitely patience required with these younger lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Village87

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Very true, thought the same thing myself when I watched that. We remember the latter years and tend to forget the earlier years so definitely patience required with these younger lads.

Jackie took a while to bed in and had a certain Noel Hickey and JJ around him. Turned himslef into a great corner back. Lads coming in now don't seem to get that time and also don't have the likes of Noel Hickey and JJ around them.

On another topic is there a motion that u17's cant play adult level to be reversed ? I see it is raised at congress tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

The unfortunate thing is a lot of our lads are starting on a fresh field when you had lads like Henry those around you it made the entry that bit more easier. M Fennely was another man that took a while to get his feet could mention a couple more TJ nearly left the set up 2012 because he felt he was not going where he wanted to go. The best of luck to them on sunday we are missing a lot even if we had a player like C Buckley there that is very good and arranging the troops around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Kil.v Tip.
    E Murphy
    P Murphy C Delaney T Walsh
    C Fogarty P Deegan J Cleere
    P Walsh A Murphy
    J Donnelly W Walsh G Malone
    B Ryan L Blanchfield M Keoghan

Subs
    C oShea
    R Fitzpatrick
    M Carey
    M Cody
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    J Maher
    P Lyng
    C Martin
    L Scanlon
    N Brassil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

laneykin wrote: »
    Kil.v Tip.
    E Murphy
    P Walsh A Murphy

Subs
    C oShea
    R Fitzpatrick
    M Carey
    M Cody
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    J Maher
    P Lyng
    C Martin
    L Scanlon
    N Brassil

O'Shea sub keeper. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Kil.v Tip.
    E Murphy
    P Walsh A Murphy

Subs
    C oShea
    R Fitzpatrick
    M Carey
    M Cody
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    J Maher
    P Lyng
    C Martin
    L Scanlon

Walsh in midfield?? With Alan Murphy. Surely Walsh and Forgarty will swap

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

citykat wrote: »

I'd imagine Alan Murphy would probably be moved into goal if needed. Couldn't see O'Shea playing goal with no experience there. Darren Brennan must be injured is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Kil.v Tip.
    E Murphy
    P Walsh A Murphy

Subs
    C oShea
    R Fitzpatrick
    M Carey
    M Cody
    R Leahy
    R Hogan
    J Maher
    P Lyng
    C Martin
    L Scanlon

Walsh in midfield?? With Alan Murphy. Surely Walsh and Forgarty will swap

You'd have to think so, but why not just name them that way then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭brookville

citykat wrote: »

I'd imagine Alan Murphy would probably be moved into goal if needed. Couldn't see O'Shea playing goal with no experience there. Darren Brennan must be injured is he?
    yea alan murphy is sub keeper.I was told last week that darren brennan picked up a leg injury but i cant understand that we cant carry a sub keeper surely darragh holahan or dunphy from lisdowney could be brought along instead of one of the subs.
    good to see fogarty recovered while kelly and morrissey didnt make it back.
    huge injury list now to players like lennon,lawlor,alyward,morrisey,brennan,kelly,sheehan.Its good to see hogan back on the panel but going into match 4 must be frustrating for lads like conor o shea who has yet to play a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

A lot of people said they were pleased with last weeks selection that was before the Limerick match, This is a lot more solid looking team. Delaney and Tommy Walsh two great prospects get another chance and rightly so. Paul Murphy is back in the only position that suits him.John Donnelly is starting in the right position. Liam Blanchfield has the making of a great fullforward and should be given every opportunity to nail that position down. Billy Ryan will just get better and better and is all about getting starts and gaining experience. The Conor Fogarty, Padraigh Walsh Alan Murphy triangle is a bit baffling but it might be no bad idea to actually try Padraigh in mid field especially when we have Lawlor to come back into full back releasing Delaney back into the half back line. Jason Cleere is one who always had great potential and is very, very talented he deserves a chance to stake a place and prove his doubters wrong. Ger Malone Martin Keoghan does not instill confidence as to scoring potential but for work rate and fight they wont be found wanting while Keeping Waltar at center forward is a must. It has to be said though that apart from Walter not one of the other forwards has staked a starting place for the Summer leaving us relying on TJ, Ritchie Hogan, Ger alyward and perhaps one of the other Shamrock players to make the cut before five of Sundays selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

brookville wrote: »
    yea alan murphy is sub keeper.I was told last week that darren brennan picked up a leg injury but i cant understand that we cant carry a sub keeper surely darragh holahan or dunphy from lisdowney could be brought along instead of one of the subs.
    good to see fogarty recovered while kelly and morrissey didnt make it back.
    huge injury list now to players like lennon,lawlor,alyward,morrisey,brennan,kelly,sheehan.Its good to see hogan back on the panel but going into match 4 must be frustrating for lads like conor o shea who has yet to play a minute.

Don't see the point of carrying another goalie. I am sure there's been other occasions that have escaped my mind but I can only recollect Kilkenny having to replace a goalie twice through injury in the last 20 years. Remember McGarry getting poleaxed by John Carroll in a league match in Thurles back in the early noughties and Eoin Murphy broke his finger in the Leinster semi replay against Galway in '14.

We already have E.Murphy, Brennan, A.Murphy and Richie Reid when he becomes available as options so you would be talking about a guy fifth in the pecking order. You got to remember that these are young lads with their own lives to live and would either of the lads you mentioned above be willing to give up their time for a role in which the chances of them ever getting on the pitch are slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

An update on Buckley,
    After my doom and gloom of before and I almost had him retired due to injury. However the prognosis after the surgery is a lot more positive and once it heals he should be able to play on as he used to and it hopefully won't shorten his career. The biggest issue is apparently the surgery site has got infected since and he's on very strong antibiotics to try and clear that up. Unfortunately because of that infection he can't do any swimming cycling or anything that he should have been able to do to keep his legs in good shape. Whenever the infection clears up he'll have a lot of work to do, to get his legs right, knowing him he's doing loads on the upper body.
    So 2hen he returns he should be perfect but the question is when will he be back.

The best of luck to him missed badly talking and organising players around him. I had a nephew with hip problems had to have two operations Cillian spoke to him went through his recovery plan he went with the advice he got from Cillian has come out the far side .

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KKCAT2018

Does anyone know who the no 8 that played for Kilkenny in the 1988 all Ireland win?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

KKCAT2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone know who the no 8 that played for Kilkenny in the 1988 all Ireland win?
    Kilkenny didn't win the AI in 1988

blackcard wrote: »
    Kilkenny didn't win the AI in 1988
    They did win the minor in 88. DJ, Pat O'Neill, Charlie were on it. I want know who the no 8 was for kk and what became of him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Charlie69

If you mean the KK minor winning team of 88 the number 8 was Dick Dooley (St Martins)

Charlie69 wrote: »
    If you mean the KK minor winning team of 88 the number 8 was Dick Dooley (St Martins)

Thanks for that. I'm surprised he didn't make it with the seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Thanks for that. I'm surprised he didn't make it with the seniors
    Had a very good game that day scoring 2 points... a bigger surprise for me was the centre back and captain Patsy Brophy from Comer not making a bigger impact at senior level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Conor Browne had a great game for UCC earlier scoring 1-1

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Had a very good game that day scoring 2 points... a bigger surprise for me was the centre back and captain Patsy Brophy from Comer not making a bigger impact at senior level.

Yes Patsy was an exceptional minor. Fellas careers go different ways. A bad injury can ruin a fella

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

An update on Buckley,
    After my doom and gloom of before and I almost had him retired due to injury. However the prognosis after the surgery is a lot more positive and once it heals he should be able to play on as he used to and it hopefully won't shorten his career. The biggest issue is apparently the surgery site has got infected since and he's on very strong antibiotics to try and clear that up. Unfortunately because of that infection he can't do any swimming cycling or anything that he should have been able to do to keep his legs in good shape. Whenever the infection clears up he'll have a lot of work to do, to get his legs right, knowing him he's doing loads on the upper body.
    So 2hen he returns he should be perfect but the question is when will he be back.

I just hope that he is not rushed back

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Keoghan and malone are 2 selections that worry me.just dont see them as scorers.delaney needs to be far tighter than last week and cleere has to put performances to his reputation.get alan murphy selection as the frees were hit and miss last week.looking forward to travelling down tomorrow yhough I do miss the saturday nights. In thurles.

Yes Patsy was an exceptional minor. Fellas careers go different ways. A bad injury can ruin a fella[/QUOTE

Patsy Brophy got a bad belt one night the opening of the pitch in Freshford kilkenny v Dublin Ciaran Barr actually broke a hurley off his arm he was out for a long time after that never recovered his confidence after that. Did Dick Dooley do damage to his knee may be I am mixing him up with somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Dick Dooley (St. Martins) and Dominic Bradley were the midfielders for Kilkenny minors in 1988. Both were outstanding players though of very different styles.
    Dick played with Martins seniors for a good while. Bradley played maybe one/two years with Village seniors before going to live in Dublin.
    That was a brilliant Kilkenny minor team, at a time when the minor standard in the country was very high.

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Keoghan and malone are 2 selections that worry me.just dont see them as scorers.delaney needs to be far tighter than last week and cleere has to put performances to his reputation.get alan murphy selection as the frees were hit and miss last week.looking forward to travelling down tomorrow yhough I do miss the saturday nights. In thurles.
    it hasnt really happened so far this year for mossy.I thought he tried fierce hard in the walah cup match against wexford but he looked lost against limerick.His being tried in a few different positions but he doesnt strike me as a corner foward although positions mean nothing anymore.
    malone also wasnt to bad against cork before being injured and showed a bit of energy when he came on the last day granted the game was gone dead hard to see him nailing down a spot for the summer.
    on the match itself these are good games to be getting into our less experienced lads who will hopefully be the better from it.We have decent options on the bench but looking at the tipp team they mean business.Hopefully we get a good performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Here is the way I see it going today. Tipp have a forward line who can get goals, we don't. We have conceded four goals in the last two games and scored one via a penalty.
    Tipp by 8.
    I hope I'm wrong, if the team can put in a performance and lose by a few points that would be a decent result

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Here is the way I see it going today. Tipp have a forward line who can get goals, we don't. We have conceded four goals in the last two games and scored one via a penalty.
    Tipp by 8.
    I hope I'm wrong, if the team can put in a performance and lose by a few points that would be a decent result
    We didn't get a penalty

• Advertisement

Tipp by 8.
    theses being a lot of chopping and changing to our team some has being forced but we've changes on nearly every line it is a lot and some are only starting off.Im not overly confident but hopefully we can keep it as tight as possible and get a good performance.Lads like jason cleere and blanchfield have being there a few years and with places up for grabs should be busting to make an impression.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement