Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Teething problems?

There was no competitive minor game for clubs between April and September

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Blaming the clubs for the state of U21 in the county is a bit rich when the county board schedule it as straight knock out in the depths of winter. Do you want clubs training at the height of summer for a games that's 6 months away.? The U19 and minor ended up a farce last year due to Kilkennys involvement in the minor back door..
    So exactly what are clubs supposed to do? It's the county boards responsibility to schedule the tournaments and enforce the fulfillment of fixtures

The County Board is made up of Club Representatives aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Teething problems?

There was no competitive minor game for clubs between April and September

Indeed. They probably won't have that problem this year as there's a chance our Minors could be out by the end of June.

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    The County Board is made up of Club Representatives aren't they?

So we're agreed that the county board, made up of club reps, have dropped the ball. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

So because Cork haven't won it in 13 years that means Kilkenny won't win it for 13 years. Explain that one to me?

I said no such thing.

The point is that given that Cork haven't won it for well over a decade, it is not really 'hysteria' (as you called it) to suggest that we will/might not win for a decade.
    I could counter that by saying the third most successful won it 3 years ago but that is of no relevance to Kilkenny's likely future success.

Neither is Kilkenny's past success.
    Can't see where I said Richie and TJ will be around for 10 years.

Precisely since they won't be, it is a bit silly to call people hysterical who are looking at a ten-year timeframe on this.

Richie and TJ haven't won any of the last three. Why should we assume either of them will win another ?

Why should we assume that any of us will see their likes again ?

Why should we assume that other counties will stand still in the meantime ? They won't.
    "According to some", I think one poster said that and unless he's Dr.
    Crowley I will work off the assumption that Buckley will be back for the Championship until I hear something official from the camp that suggests otherwise.

Do that.
    Do you think we won't win another senior All Ireland in the next 10 years?

No idea. I wouldn't have said that after '83. I'm sure Cork people wouldn't have believed it after 2005.

In either case, if anyone did say it, they were probably called 'hysterical' by some rose-tinted know-all.

• Advertisement

I said no such thing.

The point is that given that Cork haven't won it for well over a decade, it is not really 'hysteria' (as you called it) to suggest that we will/might not win for a decade.

Neither is Kilkenny's past success.

Precisely since they won't be, it is a bit silly to call people hysterical who are looking at a ten-year timeframe on this.

Richie and TJ haven't won any of the last three. Why should we assume either of them will win another ?

Why should we assume that any of us will see their likes again ?

Why should we assume that other counties will stand still in the meantime ? They won't.

Do that.

No idea. I wouldn't have said that after '83. I'm sure Cork people wouldn't have believed it after 2005.

In either case, if anyone did say it, they were probably called 'hysterical' by some rose-tinted know-all.

The claims about the possibility of a long period without success has come about mainly because of the results of one match last Sunday, do you not think that might be a bit of an over reaction?

Once again i am really failing to see how Cork's lack of recent success hasn't anything to do with Kilkenny's future success or lack of it?

I am struggling to understand how people can look at a 10 year time frame, a guy who is 10 years of age now could be playing Inter County hurling then.

Never suggested that other Counties "will standstill".

We didn't go 10 plus years after '83.

And if you can't have a discussion without resorting to name calling I think we will leave it there so!

The claims about the possibility of a long period without success has come about mainly because of the results of one match last Sunday, do you not think that might be a bit of an over reaction?

Yes, it would be if that were true. I believe though that quite a few people have been +/- pessimistic for a lot longer than last Sunday, for one reason or another.
    Once again i am really failing to see how Cork's lack of recent success hasn't anything to do with Kilkenny's future success or lack of it?

Cork's past doesn't impinge on Kilkenny's future, but calling people 'hysterical' for being pessimistic about that future, as you did here...
    So claiming that the most successful team in the history of the sport is not going to win a single title in the next 10 years is just hysteria in my opinion.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109472894&postcount=2773

...is just being pejorative. Because if it has happened to the second-most successful team, then it can happen to any of the other traditional powers, such as ourselves.

Especially since people may feel that the standard is not there now, and the prospects not great. Rose-tinted specs won't win much.
    I am struggling to understand how people can look at a 10 year time frame, a guy who is 10 years of age now could be playing Inter County hurling then.

So you have no more grounds for optimism than anyone else has for pessimism. No real need for the labels then.
    We didn't go 10 plus years after '83.

We all know it was nine years... :rolleyes:
    And if you can't have a discussion without resorting to name calling I think we will leave it there so!

No need for hysteria, surely !

Yes, it would be if that were true. I believe though that quite a few people have been +/- pessimistic for a lot longer than last Sunday, for one reason or another.

Cork's past doesn't impinge on Kilkenny's future, but calling people 'hysterical' for being pessimistic about that future, as you did here...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109472894&postcount=2773

...is just being pejorative. Because if it has happened to the second-most successful team, then it can happen to any of the other traditional powers, such as ourselves.

Especially since people may feel that the standard is not there now, and the prospects not great. Rose-tinted specs won't win much.

So you have no more grounds for optimism than anyone else has for pessimism. No real need for the labels then.

We all know it was nine years... :rolleyes:

No need for hysteria, surely !

Think you will find it's 8 year. 🙄

Think you will find it's 8 year. ��

1983 to 1992 is...

1983 to 1992 is...

Kilkenny won it in 1983 and won it next in 1992, is that not 8 years in which they didn't win it if I am not mistaking?

• Advertisement

Kilkenny won it in 1983 and won it next in 1992, is that not 8 years in which they didn't win it if I am not mistaking?

I don't wish to be unkind, but I can see now how my more nuanced statements went so clean over your head...

:D

I don't wish to be unkind, but I can see now how my more nuanced statements went so clean over your head...

:D

Could you be so kind as to point these statements out as i am not the brightest?

I would also much appreciate it if you could confirm or deny that there was 8 years after 1983 when we didn't win the All Ireland until our next success as I am beginning to doubt my ability to count?

Could you be so kind as to point these statements out as i am not the brightest?

Well I was friendly-bantering there, and perhaps I shouldn't have been, but with great respect to you this...
    So because Cork haven't won it in 13 years that means Kilkenny won't win it for 13 years.

... was totally missing the point. No need to rehash it though, and no insult was intended.
    I would also much appreciate it if you could confirm or deny that there was 8 years after 1983 when we didn't win the Al Ireland until their next success as I am beginning to doubt my ability to count?

1992-1983 = 9

Well I was friendly-bantering there, and perhaps I shouldn't have been, but with great respect to you this...

... was totally missing the point. No need to rehash it though, and no insult was intended.

1992-1983 = 9[/quote

We won it in 1983 and 1992. So we didn't win it in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990 & 1991. Which I make 8 years when we didn't win it. Please tell me you can at least see and accept you were wrong on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

1992-1983 = 9

Or to put it another way, 8 years in which they did not win the AI - but hey spin it whatever way you want!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Or to put it another way, 8 years in which they did not win the AI - but hey spin it whatever way you want!

Which is exactly what the discussion is about years in which Kilkenny didn't win an All Ireland in the past or are unlikely to win an All Ireland in the future. It passed a slow day in work!😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

right lad the doom and gloom from last weekend must surely be lifted by now.We got a scuthing at home to the champions it wasnt nice we didnt enjoy it but we have to suck it up and move on its the middle of feburary we're not the team we were.We've discussed everything from club,to striking and handpassing to minor and u21 and strenght and conditioning.A few years ago mick dempsy was the bees kness now our lads look like there way behind...
    to be honest i think theres being a over reaction to last sunday and its the same in most counties after a big defeat but i dont think we're as bad as that.We know where we lost the game last sunday so im hopefull we'll see a kick this sunday against tipp.
    james maher hasnt being at his best this year cody is trying to push him up to the fowards because last year he showed a great appetite for work and chipped in with scores and thats what the mordern half foward does but it hasnt worked yet for him.
    few little things that bothered me the other day have being well detailed here like half back line pulled out to mf and our fowards remaining orthodox definitley needs adjusting.Hopefully these are spoken about midweek.i think i read we had 5 or 6 frees missed granted kelly went off but leahy doesnt take them for the rower and is not a natural free taker id nearly start alan murphy if kelly is out.
    we dont know how we are for this weekend hopefully alyward,fogarty,morrisey and fogarty arent to bad and are available for sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Kilkenny reign at top was shown up at the weekend as they were totally destroyed by Limerick at home. Is cody the man to bring kk back to top tier hurling again? I think he may struggle now as his panel are alot limited compared to what he had in the past. Limerick self belief really showed kilkenny up and as it turns out they are pretty average set at present. If Cody can turn it around he be some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Jackie T on Laochra Gael on TG4 now...first part over!!!

Great show. Some buachaill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Jackie T on Laochra Gael on TG4 now...first part over!!!

Apt username there Jackie 😂

Local_Chap wrote: »
    Apt username there Jackie 😂

Lol. Great ahow that. Really enjoy them shows. Great insight to the heroes of the GAA. TG4 is a great station for the GAA!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SpinMaster21

Regarding the handpass play handball to improve. Lads may aswell be skimming stones with some of the attempts they make nowadays

Kilkenny has a rich history of both sports and have complemented each other greatly over the years

Be good to see some of the last remaining outdoor handball alleys in the city used for something other than unsociable behavior

Where is John Power at these days? Saw him getting a point on Laochra Gael last night.

Where is John Power at these days? Saw him getting a point on Laochra Gael last night.

Saw him play a couple of times with the club last year and he was playing left half back and not pulling up any trees.

Saw him play a couple of times with the club last year and he was playing left half back and not pulling up any trees.
    seen him in clara against comer got a cracking goal that day.Pity bout him as he has strenght and a bit of experience.Dont think he had the appetite to go back which is fair enough although id hope he can start enjoying his hurling again and maybe see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Time from win on 4/9/1983 to next win on 6/9/1992 is 9 years and two days. As matters stand now it’s hard to envisage when next win wlll come but it looks a long way away hopefully not over 9 years but it has been worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

brookville wrote: »
    seen him in clara against comer got a cracking goal that day.Pity bout him as he has strenght and a bit of experience.Dont think he had the appetite to go back which is fair enough although id hope he can start enjoying his hurling again and maybe see him back.

Wouldn't think cody would have him back when he left the set up himself, its a pity he was sitting in front of me at the limerick match last year how much kilkenny needed a player like him that day.

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Wouldn't think cody would have him back when he left the set up himself, its a pity he was sitting in front of me at the limerick match last year how much kilkenny needed a player like him that day.

Was it 2 years ago he got the very late winner V Cork in league - super game iirc.

• Advertisement

Joe Daly wrote: »

Was it 2 years ago he got the very late winner V Cork in league - super game iirc.
    think that was 3 year ago collins hit the last ball out to him got caught in the lights.I actually thought he would of came back this year after the break but we're lucky enough in this county not many distractions or lads declining a invite.
    as others have said above hopefully adrian mullen can be a addition to the fowards when he comes in later it'll also be intresting to see will darren mullen push for a corner back spot.I think tommy is doing ok his still very raw but his learning quick.he has made a few mistakes but hopefully he learns from them.im sure the players will be very dissapointed after last sunday and no better team than tipp to try get things back on track.Tipp are in a similar position to us rebuilding while missing alot with injuries.They look to have better fowards on paper but they'll play the way we like to play it'll be intresting to see what changes are made.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement