Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Dunnamaggin v Kilmacow - Dunnamaggin by 9
    Galmoy v Barrow Rangers - Galmoy by 5
    Graignamanagh v Piltown - Piltown by 6
    Blacks and Whites v Emeralds - Emeralds by 3
    Cloneen v Conahy Shamrocks - Conahy by 3
    Slieverue v Windgap - Windgap by 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Came across an advert for stem cell treatment. Richie Doyle underwent the treatment and plans to return to hurling.
    If I remember he was serious talent.
    I know he prob won't reach inter county heights again, but fair play to him. I hope it goes well for him

He must only be 26 or 27? Fair play to him if it works out, must have been very hard having to give up so young, let alone for the reason he did. Would be a lovely story.
    Yeah I know Richie a bit and he said he has had more movement in his hips than he had all the time he hurled underage and with Kilkenny. He's doing stretches properly that he hasn't been able to do since he was 13 or 14. Hopefully it stays working for him and is a long term solution. He would be delighted to get back Hurling with Barrow Rangers and try and win a county title with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Niallers87

Any score update on the ballyhale game?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Niallers87 wrote: »

Bbridge beat them by 4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭brookville

fully deserved aswell.ballyragget v bhale now.clara v danesfort,cshock v comer.rower v vegas.league final village v olg shield bridge v boro i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Was at the Carrickshock v Boro match. Not for the first match I've attended, at all grades, the team that ensured both sides ended up with a sweeper were hammered. Is it that coaches/ managers are trying to keep scores down or to come up with a system of play or trying to look good ? Playing a sweeper requires a lengthy period of practice - 2 years rather than 2 months. The other team who are usually better anyway normally take a little while to get used to it and then simply take over at their own end where they have 6 v 5 and take out the sweeper at the other end by playing possession or going down the wings. Has anybody seen any KK club team at any grade employing this successfully against superior opposition?. The games I've attended, all the teams initiating the tactic are not even getting close to victory. They are no better off than going 15 v 15 and are simply raising the white flag. As I said its going on at all grades even at very young ages

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Troubled times for Ballyhale, didn't see that one coming today and I'm sure they'll be none too pleased about being dumped into the first round draw. Ballyragget, having stayed up, will give them a good rattle too you'd imagine.

Vat v Inistioge is an interesting game - but Mullinavat's season seems to be on something of a downward trajectory.

Carrickshock woeful today, and if there's a worse side at Senior level I haven't seen them this year. You'd think Clara would have enough to overcome Danesfort on the other side of the relegation draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭blackcard

Bbridge beat them by 4
    Bennettsbridge were the hungrier side and deserved the win although the referee should have played advantage twice when Ballyhale had half chances of goals. Enda Cleere also made a good save from a Darren Mullen shot at goal. TJ Reid resumed normal service from freetaking scoring 9 and also getting one from play. Liam Blanchfield did well for the Bridge as did his 2 brothers, Enda Morrissey and Nicky Cleere. Richie Reid and Evan Shefflin were good at half back for Ballyhale, Colin Fennelly was very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭brookville

blackcard wrote: »

Bbridge beat them by 4
    Bennettsbridge were the hungrier side and deserved the win although the referee should have played advantage twice when Ballyhale had half chances of goals. Enda Cleere also made a good save from a Darren Mullen shot at goal. TJ Reid resumed normal service from freetaking scoring 9 and also getting one from play. Liam Blanchfield did well for the Bridge as did his 2 brothers, Enda Morrissey and Nicky Cleere. Richie Reid and Evan Shefflin were good at half back for Ballyhale, Colin Fennelly was very quiet.

was suprised he didnt play advantage but i thought the bridge were deserving winners.darren mullen had a good 2nd half.the bridges defence was very good while the fowards worked hard.liam blanchfield worked very hard and as said his 2 brothers were good.Colin was shocking.ballyhale have a bit to ponder over the next few weeks mick fennelly will be an addition if they can get him back but ballyragget wont be a pushover especially if they can get their few injured lads back.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 borris4

Best wishes to Kilkenny Camogie Team tomorrow. Going to be a real battle against Cork, flying the banner for Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Heartbreak. That last free given against Kilkenny was absolutely disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Absolutely robbed by ref. Poor game to watch along with awful one sided commentary on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Jaysus but the ref was absolutely shambolic. Turned it into a free taking contest. He was blowing for everything. Where do they find these fellas?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Camogie is such a poor game, worse that Football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Comerman

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Ref was an absolute disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭blackcard

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    That is as bad a refereeing performance as you will see, gifted game to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Tobin should never have booked and that was never a free, the kilkenny first touch wasn't there today and they seemed hesitant to have a go from a distance and tried passing through instead of taking points

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

blackcard wrote: »
    That is as bad a refereeing performance as you will see, gifted game to Cork

Kilkenny had plenty of chances to win it if they were good enough

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,673 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Completely disagree.

The ref applied the advantage rule about twice in the entire game. He was truly awful and ruined what could have been a much better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭dzer2

Ahh that game was ruined by a ref.

You have to also remember the ladies are tarred by the success of the mens team too. Felt Kilkenny would have to be 10 points better than any other team to win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Last 2 frees to cork were shocking.and agree it was worse than football.I coached a dublin u14 team camogie team yesterday and we went to croke park today to watch that rubbish.sweepers and poor refs are ruining the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

dubcat51 wrote: »
    Last 2 frees to cork were shocking.and agree it was worse than football.I coached a dublin u14 team camogie team yesterday and we went to croke park today to watch that rubbish.sweepers and poor refs are ruining the game.

Posted here yesterday about the team that initiates the sweeper tactic usually loses. Was at last years camogie final. i'm certain that with the quality of forwards that KK have, they'd beat anyone playing 15 v 15.... Hard luck to everyone, gutted for you all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

You have to wonder did the ref and officals wake up this morning thinking we have to get a lot of attension when the match starts at 4-15pm they made a good job out of it for the wrong reason the penalty was mind boggling other decessions the cork number six hit the kilkenny girl an awfull slap to me it should have been a red card. This Ashley Thompson got away with to day was mind boggling. kilkenny could have wining it shows defensive set ups don't work, its going to be hard to comeback from to day but we are very proud of ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Kilkenny had plenty of chances to win it if they were good enough

I've read this post a few times now and i still don't understand (a) what it means (b) how it has any relevance to the post about the referee's performance that it quoted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I watched that game yesterday and I do think the ref handed Cork that game. So many terrible decisions that led to Cork scores in a low scoring game.

These things usually even themselves out but not yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Village87

I watched that game yesterday and I do think the ref handed Cork that game. So many terrible decisions that led to Cork scores in a low scoring game.

These things usually even themselves out but not yesterday.

I agree Ref was poor. On another note why do Kilkenny play so defensively. Relying on frees and long range points is never going to work. If Kilkenny pushed up they would have won by 3/4 points yesterday. There was goals to be got against the Cork backs, very hard with one person in the full forward line

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Black & Whites V Emeralds:
    Was expecting far better from B&W and to put up some kind of fight to an emeralds team who have yet to get going. Taggy was pure class and got some fantastic scores. Conor Martin was playing full forward and scored about 3-2. His first goal was a shot from about 35 yards out when going for a point but mistake by goalie and it ended up in back of the net. He took his second really well. I have seen Dunnamaggin,Paulstown,Piltown and Conahy all hurl in the junior this year. The Dunna lads impressed me most and would be early pick for winners but emeralds could be the there abouts if they find some momentum

Dfort V Comer
    Terrible match in poor conditions. Dfort lined out without Paddy Hogan so will hope to have him back the next day. The referee was very poor and gave some very poor calls against both teams but predominantly against Dfort. Comer scored 15points and eleven of these were from frees. Richie got 1 great point from play but was well marshalled by Conor Delaney. Conor Fogarty was solid but Danesfort played nothing like they did the week before against Bridge. Given Clara's serious injury problems they will have a chance against them while i expect Comer to have the beating of shocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

I was at the match, I've always loved camogie, I enjoyed the emphasis on 'touch and control', reffing in camogie has always been hard to watch but for the last few years, it is starting to seriously take over matches, the ref's being the main centre of attention and that should never be the situation in any sport. I know camogie rules are 'stricter' than hurling, but yesterday's final was ruined (IMO).

Kilkenny were very hard done by (frees etc) but they should have won this match, how many times did Kilkenny players solo upfield and be dispossessed or run into 'cul de sac' and lose possession or ignore a simple offload? Meghan Farrell should have pulled first time on the ball that came across the square a few minutes into the 2nd half but wanted to get it into her hand in the middle of Cork players? Ann Dalton is an outstanding hurler, but she made some very poor decisions yesterday.

It was extremely frustrating yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Very poor game yesterday , and very poor officiating also.
    As a regular spectator at games, Kilkenny will play with a sweeper always as that is Downeys preferred tactic.
    We were caught out last year in the final, and again yesterday. Okay, we beat Cork in the League final by a point, but did the Management team learn/take anything from last years loss to Cork?
    Katie Power is a lethal forward, and was so isolated up front on her own that she may as well have sat on the bench. Running lost causes against 3-4 Cork backs when the ball was hit into the channels all day.
    Anne Dalton had a stormer of a game, she won so much ball , looked up, and had only one player in Corks half ! If we had 3-4 forwards up where they should be, she would have options as opposed to just trying to handpass it to a teammate beside her, or banging it down into the corner.
    I don't know what the shenanigans at the throw in were about!? 2 teams that wouldn't come out of their huddle until the other team gave in, and then the weird crowding of the square by about 10 players until the linesman had to come in and tell them to get into their positions !! .
    All in all, a very disappointing game and Kilkenny need to take a look at their tactics, while they also point the finger at a "Letter of the Law" referee.
    They will be back !! Don't doubt it.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Village87

greenspurs wrote: »
    Very poor game yesterday , and very poor officiating also.
    As a regular spectator at games, Kilkenny will play with a sweeper always as that is Downeys preferred tactic.
    We were caught out last year in the final, and again yesterday. Okay, we beat Cork in the League final by a point, but did the Management team learn/take anything from last years loss to Cork?
    Katie Power is a lethal forward, and was so isolated up front on her own that she may as well have sat on the bench. Running lost causes against 3-4 Cork backs when the ball was hit into the channels all day.
    Anne Dalton had a stormer of a game, she won so much ball , looked up, and had only one player in Corks half ! If we had 3-4 forwards up where they should be, she would have options as opposed to just trying to handpass it to a teammate beside her, or banging it down into the corner.
    I don't know what the shenanigans at the throw in were about!? 2 teams that wouldn't come out of their huddle until the other team gave in, and then the weird crowding of the square by about 10 players until the linesman had to come in and tell them to get into their positions !! .
    All in all, a very disappointing game and Kilkenny need to take a look at their tactics, while they also point the finger at a "Letter of the Law" referee.
    They will be back !! Don't doubt it.

Play with 6 forwards and Dalton Centre forward, she would run the legs off O'Connor and lorry ball into the forwards. Kilkenny would win with a few points to spare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement