Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Couldn't we argue the decision making and experience would come with better coaching, experience and better players around him like in the county set up. With Evan, huw lawlor and some of the other lads going well and then cleere coming back looks like there could be competition in the backs which we need for next year

I think Brian Cody made a comment / observation last year about up & coming players, he wanted to see them progress and thrive at U21 level first, he has brought 19 / 20 year old players into his setup previously but they were exceptional players, let's see how the lads mentioned go in the KK championship this year before we elevate them to inter-county standard.

I would imagine Evan Shefflin is being told about what he has to improve on in the Shamrocks setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Brian Cody staying on for another year? Reports saying he will .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Village87

greenspurs wrote: »
    Brian Cody staying on for another year? Reports saying he will .....

Going by club matches he is attending its a cert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭robwen

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Were the two Conahy lads that were over Freshford sacked.

Didn't Carrickshock players sack their trainer earlier in the year also after losing first game, hasn't done them much good

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Truth be told1974

robwen wrote: »
    Didn't Carrickshock players sack their trainer earlier in the year also after losing first game, hasn't done them much good

I get the impression that it's harder and harder for clubs to secure people to manage, that can improve their team or at least not dis-improve it. Should clubs need a 'manager' or a 'coach'...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭randd1

True, but it was much to do with the type of training, and lack of training, they were doing, which was to put it mildly, soft and very tippy tappy.

As for the not doing them any good part, I suspect that has more to do with the fact we've had 5/6 outstanding players over the years but have had a tail in the side, and now that the great players are slowing down or gone, we're on a bit of a slide. This has been coming for a few years now really.

randd1 wrote: »
    True, but it was much to do with the type of training, and lack of training, they were doing, which was to put it mildly, soft and very tippy tappy.

As for the not doing them any good part, I suspect that has more to do with the fact we've had 5/6 outstanding players over the years but have had a tail in the side, and now that the great players are slowing down or gone, we're on a bit of a slide. This has been coming for a few years now really.

Any chance of Richie making an appearance this year, if in relegation final maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

As far as I know the players weren't consulted on the lads being removed.

If you're referring to Carrickshock that's incorrect it was very much player driven

No I'm talking about Freshford. Could be wrong there as well mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

You are not to wrong it was a person that had got to do with last years selection team started the ball rolling to get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I get the impression that it's harder and harder for clubs to secure people to manage, that can improve their team or at least not dis-improve it. Should clubs need a 'manager' or a 'coach'...?
    The previous manager at Freshford didn't have a happy ending. Apparently he found the players were unwilling when it came to putting in the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Dicksboro are going to be without three players this weekend because of dirty play by the opposition last week while they will be able to field a full team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭brookville

Marrooned wrote: »
    Dicksboro are going to be without three players this weekend because of dirty play by the opposition last week while they will be able to field a full team
    heard it was fairly serious alright.Whats the update on buckley i had heard they were hopefull to have him back after a few weeks rest while other reports had him out till next year

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bamayang

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Junior is all over the place. Dunnamaggin were dreadful against Piltown who lost to Windgap and Windgap lost to Barrow Rangers and Barrow Rangers got hammered by Piltown. On the other side of the draw (considered the weaker side) Cloneen seem to be the team finishing with form with wins over Galmoy and Slieverue. The second teams such O'Loughlins who won the All-County League are very dependent on what players get pulled for first team duty before the final/Semi-Finals. This is what did OLG last year. Anyone could actually win it. In general the overall standard of junior is low in Kilkenny which has a huge knock on effect on young players who have done well with development squads and underage county teams up to now. Their development is seriously at risk once they pass minor and it is an area which I have long believed needs to be addressed especially with U21 being a possible one match knock out winter game. A lot of potentially good players are losing out being with junior clubs. Certainly there must be room for some sort of regional junior competition that would allow the best of them some opportunity to keep developing from 18 to 23.

Is this fair to say when KK have been in 8 of the last 10 Junior club all Ireland’s? You may be correct and the standard could be limiting players, but it’s a lot higher than most counties junior standard.

it'll be intresting to see will he change things up with the backroom team personally id like to see a bit of freshness there.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

brookville wrote: »
    it'll be intresting to see will he change things up with the backroom team personally id like to see a bit of freshness there.

I'd like to jj there very good hurling brain plus he's been there and done it and the possibly the best in his position. His analysis has been brilliant really good knowledge and would be an asset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

citykat wrote: »
    The previous manager at Freshford didn't have a happy ending. Apparently he found the players were unwilling when it came to putting in the work.

The players had nothing to do with the two lads been removed, it was actually one of the selectors that was involved with the previous manager started the ball rolling about having them removed. The two lads had to go in this year try repair some of the negative points that the previous manager was drilling into players.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

bamayang wrote: »
    Is this fair to say when KK have been in 8 of the last 10 Junior club all Ireland’s? You may be correct and the standard could be limiting players, but it’s a lot higher than most counties junior standard.

Exactly Junior.
    I think you have missed the point a bit.
    I'm talking about lads who have up to under-16 and maybe minor who have had all the benefits of the development squad system playing with the strongest players from around the county. Now they are back playing in a lesser quality league with lesser quality players and in many cases lesser quality coaches with no longer any access to squads and playing with the players from Senior and Intermediate clubs. This would obviously affect the development. However, if you think a player is finished developing at 17/18 years of age, then of course, my opinion would be wrong. As a county we are looking for players to play at Liam McCarthy level not Joe McDonagh level or below.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

By the way Kilkenny clubs have only won 7 out of the 15 Junior Club All-Irelands played since the first played in 2004. Two of the 7 winning teams are still Junior.

Nice to see the GAA considering changing minor again to U19. That age grade has been a massive success in Kilkenny with no game played since May. Looking forward to going to see U19 and U21 games being played in November and December by teams who can't train because their players are in college.

Nice to see the minor grade with no competitive games between April and the end of August as well. Now it gets to be run off with games every 5 days.

Super effort all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anyone give a rundown/prediction of the Weekends games ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Who will the Boro be missing could the shocks pull off an upset, Rice went off injured last week is he likely to play for shocks ??

Who will the Boro be missing could the shocks pull off an upset, Rice went off injured last week is he likely to play for shocks ??

think doheny def went off also think one of the goughs.i was at the cshock game and rice pulled up with hamstring unlikely he'll be back with a cruch 1st round game in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

Apparently, Oisin Gough, C Doheny and B Sheehan. All three are carrying injuries as a result of their last match. One yellow card issued when up to four reds wouldn't have been over doing it. Refs are supposed to protect players but not in this case when his inaction only encouraged more dirty play.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Marrooned

Spot on Grats

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    By the way Kilkenny clubs have only won 7 out of the 15 Junior Club All-Irelands played since the first played in 2004. Two of the 7 winning teams are still Junior.
    can I ask you to name the 7 clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

kk1970 wrote: »
    can I ask you to name the 7 clubs?

Galmoy, Conahy, Thomastown, Ballyragget, Bennettsbridge, Glenmore and Danesfort.

Blacks and Whites, Tullogher and Mooncoin got to the final too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Galmoy, Conahy, Thomastown, Ballyragget, Bennettsbridge, Glenmore and Danesfort.

Blacks and Whites, Tullogher and Mooncoin got to the final too.
    Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement