Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Any sign of the team this weekend?dj wont be there,Carlow are playing sunday.Maybe lyng will have a few of his u20s on show or we could see a few of last year u20s if not college tied.the fixtures were announced months ago so we knew we wouldn't have the college lads and always the chance our clubs could be involved.
    You would have to question the fixture of these matches this time of the year with college matches starting at the same time.dont think its giving nice weather either which could take from the crowd.Its a good opportunity for young lads to wear their county jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kilkenny requested the match to be changed to Wednesday night but Wex didn't agree with the change.

Also heard we had 12 lads at county training at the start of this week between club, colleges and injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Kilkenny didn't have a team on Tuesday they were ringing around to try and field .
    So you can expect a lot of new faces

Kilkenny didn't have a team on Tuesday they were ringing around to try and field .
    So you can expect a lot of new faces
    The teams left playing these competitions are probably in the same boat.Madness fixing this competition with fitzgibbon on.
    We knew this months ago the fitzgibbon was clashing.i know it's a meanless competion but I would of thought there was plenty of lads mad to get the opportunity to put on the jersey so hopefully a few young lads go well.eddie brennan used his u21 a few years ago In this competition so we could see a few players from the last few years u21 team get a run

Kilkenny requested the match to be changed to Wednesday night but Wex didn't agree with the change.

Also heard we had 12 lads at county training at the start of this week between club, colleges and injuries.

Is there many on the treatment table?I wouldn't be in favour of changing it to Wednesday and having college lads playing possibly 3matches in a week.id prefer a walsh cup squad with hopefully a few newcomers making the league panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

brookville wrote: »
    The teams left playing these competitions are probably in the same boat.Madness fixing this competition with fitzgibbon on.
    We knew this months ago the fitzgibbon was clashing.i know it's a meanless competion but I would of thought there was plenty of lads mad to get the opportunity to put on the jersey so hopefully a few young lads go well.eddie brennan used his u21 a few years ago In this competition so we could see a few players from the last few years u21 team get a run
    could be time for these competitions to get the heave ho, leave January for 3rd level competitions, rapping up the club campaigns and inter county challenge matches which will go on regardless. Biggest pity would be I believe some of the gate receipts from these games go to players injury fund.

could be time for these competitions to get the heave ho, leave January for 3rd level competitions, rapping up the club campaigns and inter county challenge matches which will go on regardless. Biggest pity would be I believe some of the gate receipts from these games go to players injury fund.

Yea I agree bout scrapping it but when the few Bob goes to a good cause it's a pity.Something will have to give anyway...yer not too bad down there in wexford plenty of money john meyler managing Martin's and derek McGrath with the harriers 😂

Yea I agree bout scrapping it but when the few Bob goes to a good cause it's a pity.Something will have to give anyway...yer not too bad down there in wexford plenty of money john meyler managing Martin's and derek McGrath with the harriers 😂
    yeah interesting year ahead, meyler has moved back to Wexford he's retired from work and his daughter teaches down here, the son still lives in England. Their the team to beat down have bigger ambitions than winning Wexford but as the ballyhale game in November showed are way off that level currently.mcgrath came out of nowhere was actually heavily linked with the Martins last winter but never materialised. They had to win a relegation final to stay up last year but have won 2 minor premiers in a row. Probably just a 45 mins journey when the new ross bypass opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Comerman

Today's team

HT WX 1.9 KK 0.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭C__MC

Another win for Davy over cody even if it is only the Walsh cup

Experimental team and good to see mikey butler and conor heary and these lads getting game time.
    Wexford organised and good link up play running off the shoulder.We the same driving balls that end up 50/50 at best.foley their sweeper sitting in the pocket hit a load of ball.We got a penalty and a few points after ht to put a bit of respectability on the board but wex got a well worked goal to finish it off.
    Young lads will have to start somewhere but I hope as the year goes on we make much better use of possession

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Experimental team and good to see mikey butler and conor heary and these lads getting game time.
    Wexford organised and good link up play running off the shoulder.We the same driving balls that end up 50/50 at best.foley their sweeper sitting in the pocket hit a load of ball.We got a penalty and a few points after ht to put a bit of respectability on the board but wex got a well worked goal to finish it off.
    Young lads will have to start somewhere but I hope as the year goes on we make much better use of possession

Lot of new young lads today and unfortunately were not at the same level as wexford. Ciaran Wallace done well at corner back and it's certainly worth keeping an eye in him. Deegan decent. It was the 1st game out and some of these guys will probably not make the panel this year but what can you do at this time of year.
    Wexford were just way ahead with running game and with fitness levels too.
    Cody won't be too bothered but at the same time we went with the 50/50 deliveries and 9 times out of 10 they just mopped them up.
    Fair play to the newer lads today but it just wasn't enough. No scoring threat at all. Even the striking was poor.
    Hopefully we will see a return in 2 weeks with some more familiar faces and it only starts then.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

C__MC wrote: »
    Another win for Davy over cody even if it is only the Walsh cup

12pts is a good hiding, both teams seriously depleted of first team starters from last year.

Knuckle down for the league now and the Ballyhale lads should be back in Feb.

Lot of new young lads today and unfortunately were not at the same level as wexford. Ciaran Wallace done well at corner back and it's certainly worth keeping an eye in him. Deegan decent. It was the 1st game out and some of these guys will probably not make the panel this year but what can you do at this time of year.
    Wexford were just way ahead with running game and with fitness levels too.
    Cody won't be too bothered but at the same time we went with the 50/50 deliveries and 9 times out of 10 they just mopped them up.
    Fair play to the newer lads today but it just wasn't enough. No scoring threat at all. Even the striking was poor.
    Hopefully we will see a return in 2 weeks with some more familiar faces and it only starts then.

Couldn't get over how much bulked Wallace got and he was very good today I hope he get league time.his had a few great years with comer.maher hit alot of ball but not too many positives..fowards were very weak..alot missing and some players only contacted mid week with no training I just hope as the year progresses we are much smarter with use of the ball...dj had a good win over ucd we have 6 or 7 on that panel

Went through all the different panels in the Fitzgibbon cups to see how Leinster players were fairing out numbers wise on the different college teams.

Galway - 63
    Dublin - 58
    Kilkenny - 46
    Wexford - 32
    Laois - 8
    Offaly - 7
    Carlow - 5
    Kildare - 4
    Westmeath - 4
    Meath - 4
    Wicklow - 3

I understand Galway and Dublin have more than 1 Uni/IT so they may pick local hurlers to help develop players. Also Carlow has an IT.

It’s not a reflection of how strong a counties 18-24 hurlers are as some lads may work as tradesmen or other jobs not through the college route.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Couldn't get over how much bulked Wallace got and he was very good today I hope he get league time.his had a few great years with comer.maher hit alot of ball but not too many positives..fowards were very weak..alot missing and some players only contacted mid week with no training I just hope as the year progresses we are much smarter with use of the ball...dj had a good win over ucd we have 6 or 7 on that panel

Who was involved today with colleges?

Who was involved today with colleges?

I know jason cleere,luke scanlon,niall brassil,liam blanchfield are with it carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

conor05 wrote: »
    12pts is a good hiding, both teams seriously depleted of first team starters from last year.

March would be plenty of time for them

kk1970 wrote: »
    March would be plenty of time for them

I'd hope they are given a good break especially the senior ballyhale lads.the league this year isnt as cut throat we should have enough to get by while also blooding a few lads.Not many put their hand up today but I wouldn't be too hard on them a good few wont be near the panel later in the year.Our half foward line was very inexperienced and this was a springboard where wexford started their attack.It must be said that wexford have a few months training behind them and a better pick today to call on.Some of their link up play and points scored was very good for this time of the year.
    We know that today's panel wouldn't be good enough for our next match which is this day two weeks we should have a few more bodies back and it would be easier for younger lads to try settle in.I thought our full back line was decent today.Billy ryan tried hard in the first half, it was always going to be tough when himself and aylward were the two recognised forwards so hopefully lads like donnelly,blanchfield and leahy will bring more of a scoring threat.
    Finally a great crowd today well done to callan must of being two or two an half thousand at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

conor05 wrote: »

Will they come straight back in or will they take a few weeks break after final?

Will they come straight back in or will they take a few weeks break after final?

Hopefully they get a well earned break.The ballyhale lads in particular have a huge amount done between club and county.Henry seems to have managed them very well and gave them time off and it has worked very well.There should be no rush getting these lads back.Looking at our league group it looks much handier than the other side.padraig should also be given time off but hopefully get league time into tommy and mossy while also the 2 mullens,shefflin and eoin cody will see some action.The likes of leahy,Donnelly and blanchfield will give us more of a threat so hopefully we'll have them for the dublin match.Its good to see liam blanchfield hurling well today for carlow getting 1-2 it's a big year for him hopefully he can kick off his career.

Fine venue for the game today, only issue was a pair of runners getting destroyed walking on the grass to the stand and on the back pitch, 1st world problems and all of that...

We won't be getting carried away it was basically a glorified challenge match, taught the full back line and James maher were most prominent for yourselves.we only started 3 of our starting team from the 2019 championship but 4 came off the bench, i'm guessing by the stuff here ye were struggling to even get a bench together for the game.

Fine venue for the game today, only issue was a pair of runners getting destroyed walking on the grass to the stand on the back pitch, 1st world problems and all of that...

We won't be carried away it was basically a glorified challenge match, taught the full back line and James maher were most prominent for yourselves.we only started 3 of our starting team from the 2019 championship but 4 came off the bench, i'm guessing by the stuff here ye were struggling to even get a bench together for the game.
    Down an awful lot of bodies for obvious reason so really had to dip in to club players.Some players only contacted mid week to tog out today.the couple of senior players not long home for their holiday.Despite being down alot aswell it was obvious wexford have being back a few months and have a bit of hurling done and will be happy to get another game before the league.For us it will be back to the training pitch and get ready for two weeks time when hopefully we have the fitzgibbon players back

Down an awful lot of bodies for obvious reason so really had to dip in to club players.Some players only contacted mid week to tog out today.the couple of senior players not long home for their holiday.Despite being down alot aswell it was obvious wexford have being back a few months and have a bit of hurling done and will be happy to get another game before the league.For us it will be back to the training pitch and get ready for two weeks time when hopefully we have the fitzgibbon players back
    Fair point,they're actually only back sense the 1st week of December but by all accounts bar a break over xmas have been training like dogs. Compared to the likes of deegan, fogarty and eoin murphy were on the far side of the Atlantic this time last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Village87

Kilkenny had arguably more first team players starting than Wexford. Cant look into it too much but severe lack of lads putting their hands up. Even the regulars apart from Eoin Murphy poor. Conor Fogarty got the run around again

Village87 wrote: »
    Kilkenny had arguably more first team players starting than Wexford. Cant look into it too much but severe lack of lads putting their hands up. Even the regulars apart from Eoin Murphy poor. Conor Fogarty got the run around again

I think in the age category of 20 to 25, Wexford have better hurlers than Kilkenny at the minute.

Village87 wrote: »
    Jazus Fogerty must of given you a woeful hiding in a few games or something, first game of the season and you're at it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Comerman wrote: »
    Jazus Fogerty must of given you a woeful hiding in a few games or something, first game of the season and you're at it already.

Agreed. Although I have concerns about Fogarty, this constant criticism of him makes me wonder what the agenda is. The chap got off the plane on Tuesday after the team holiday. Give him a break, for now at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

They're only back from trotting around America a week ffs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement