Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭blackcard

Well done to Ballyhale to complete a great weekend for 3 small rural clubs in Kilkenny. Some nice stick passing from Ballyhale and some great points scored. However, they lacked sharpness as they did against Slaughtneil, it has been a long 2 years on the road. They hit a lot of poor ball into the forwards with very little ball going into the full forward line in the second half. Still amazing team to win back to back all Ireland's. 6 weeks off for the county players hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭brookville

Congrats to ballyhale on rounding off a great weekend for club hurling in kilkenny.Credit also to borris who died with their boots on but I thought they were a little wasteful while ballyhale were that little bit clinical and popped up with important scores at vital times.They never seem to panic and are very comfortable on the ball, although it was a tough enough day for some of their fowards borris also struggled in attack because they were making sure space wasn't left to the shamrocks attack.
    With the league starting next weekend against dublin there should be a decent crowd in the park and hopefully the club guys are giving a nice break especially the senior shamrocks lads who have alot of miles on the clock the last few years.Darren mullen and shefflin will hopefully see a few league matches.
    What kind of team will we see out next weekend? not many from last weekend will hold onto their place while hopefully we will have fitzgibbon players.Hopefully we pick up a few fowards during the league.Brassil scored a few nice long range points for cw playing half back the other night maybe he is worth a try here and blanchfield also hurling well .something along the lines of
    Murphy,
    Deegan,lawlor,wallace,
    Brassil,delaney,fogarty
    Maher,browne
    Leahy,donnelly,Wally
    Billy ryan,blanchfield,sheehan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Grats

Ticket price on the day for league matches is €20. Pre purchase €15. Some hike in price. There'll surely be reduced attendances in that case and due to there been very little at stake with new format.

Grats wrote: »
    Ticket price on the day for league matches is & 20. Pre purchase €15. Some hike in price. There'll surely be reduced attendances in that case and due to there been very little at stake with new format.

Twenty is stingey for a league match alright.how much was it last year or the year before I cant remember?

brookville wrote: »
    Twenty is stingey for a league match alright.how much was it last year or the year before I cant remember?

Was it €15 and €13???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Ticket price on the day for league matches is €20. Pre purchase €15. Some hike in price. There'll surely be reduced attendances in that case and due to there been very little at stake with new format.

It was the same price last season for the league.
    It’s still great value imo, kids free aswell. Compare it with going to a Leinster rugby or a soccer international.

1984baby wrote: »
    It’s still great value imo, kids free aswell. Compare it with going to a Leinster rugby or a soccer international.

I believe you're correct. As I have a Season Ticket I wasn't aware the price was hiked up to €20 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭kksaints

1984baby wrote: »

For a league match I think €20 on the day is steep, particularly with the new format for the league. You also cant really compare a league match with a soccer international or Leinster rugby match either. They're on a much bigger scale entirely with regards the money needed for players and staff (and John Delaney 😡 but we wont talk about him here).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Was it €15 and €13???

€15 and €12 I’m fairly sure.

€20 for league matches is steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Great weekend for our clubs for sure, congrats to Ballyhale. Michael Fennelly was motm for me, I thought he was brilliant today.
    Was he marking Jerry Kelly?

• Advertisement

Was he marking Jerry Kelly?

Did you watch the match?

Did you watch the match?
    was at a family birthday party this afternoon so didn't see it live, watching the highlights now, commentators said Kelly was playing centre forward even though he was wearing 14. So...will you answer my original question a sharply now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Village87

Paddy Mullen is a player that Brian Cody should be looking at. Great strike of a ball and few massive hits against an aggressive Borrisoleigh team in the first half. Was the best Shamrocks player for the first 20 mins when they needed him

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Village87 wrote: »
    Paddy Mullen is a player that Brian Cody should be looking at. Great strike of a ball and few massive hits against an aggressive Borrisoleigh team in the first half. Was the best Shamrocks player for the first 20 mins when they needed him

He had a great game yesterday with some excellent scores at crucial time when Ballyhale needed it most. But disagree with you that he good enough for senior county. When you look at some of the scores he got yesterday..........you could comment that they were somewhat fortunate in that two of the scores he got were almost 'pot luck' in then sense he took rushed a shot without even looking at the posts. I know some might comment back 'he didnt need to look'..........but to me a quality player makes it looked effortless without being rushed. He has been in and out of Ballyhale team mainly due to unfortunate injuries but for me is also very one sided. Dont get me wrong if can stay injury free and work on certain aspects of his game more.......no reason why he cant push on to next level but for me at the moment he is a good bit off the required standard yet for county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Village87

Noddy33 wrote: »
    He had a great game yesterday with some excellent scores at crucial time when Ballyhale needed it most. But disagree with you that he good enough for senior county. When you look at some of the scores he got yesterday..........you could comment that they were somewhat fortunate in that two of the scores he got were almost 'pot luck' in then sense he took rushed a shot without even looking at the posts. I know some might comment back 'he didnt need to look'..........but to me a quality player makes it looked effortless without being rushed. He has been in and out of Ballyhale team mainly due to unfortunate injuries but for me is also very one sided. Dont get me wrong if can stay injury free and work on certain aspects of his game more.......no reason why he cant push on to next level but for me at the moment he is a good bit off the required standard yet for county

There is very little between Paddy Mullen and Conor Browne at the moment. Paddy Mullen has a better strong side and weaker side than Conor Browne imo who started the all ireland final last year..
    I agree with what you are saying but he is better than a lot of the panel at present

Village87 wrote: »
    There is very little between Paddy Mullen and Conor Browne at the moment. Paddy Mullen has a better strong side and weaker side than Conor Browne imo who started the all ireland final last year..
    I agree with what you are saying but he is better than a lot of the panel at present

I think Paddy Mullen has something to offer also. He's carrying an injury at present which threatened to rule him out for yesterday. Fully fit, he ought to be considered.

By the way, any chance you might refrain from knocking players on the panel. By all means suggest who might be worth brining it but it doesn't HAVE to be at the expense of naming a player you think should be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Of the lesser known players over the weekend I was very Impressed by Tom Phelan, Liam Cass and the Delaney chap at midfield for Conahy. The latter can cut a sideline ball as good as I have ever seen. Peter Walsh from Tullaroan and Patrick Mullen from Ballyhale were two others who stood out for me. I would hope to see some of these lads given a chance particularly Phelan at inter county. After re-watching the game I am even more impressed by him. Last years squad are not good enough to win the AI we need new blood.
    If only John Walsh would knuckle down and claim a spot together with Phelan we would have some fierce pace around the squad.

was at a family birthday party this afternoon so didn't see it live, watching the highlights now, commentators said Kelly was playing centre forward even though he was wearing 14. So...will you answer my original question a sharply now?

Infairness kelly got some unbelievable scores and should of got man of the match.fennellys job is holding the middle and he popped out passes to richie or shefflin.His not going to chase lads around.Id be suprised if he comes back this year.unfortunately for borris a few of their other fowards weren't as effective where ballyhale had a better spread.
    Some achievement for henry and surely is front runner to replace cody,he took them after a bad beating against the village and integrated alot of young lads and had to manage that controversy before the u21 final a few year ago and also the tragedy.They really are an amazing club.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Would love to see phelan and john walsh brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

Did anyone hear anything on KCLR about a civic reception for all 3 club teams? My father said he heard they would be holding one but didn’t have any further details on it.

• Advertisement

brookville wrote: »
    Infairness kelly got some unbelievable scores and should of got man of the match.fennellys job is holding the middle and he popped out passes to richie or shefflin.His not going to chase lads around.Id be suprised if he comes back this year.unfortunately for borris a few of their other fowards weren't as effective where ballyhale had a better spread.
    Some achievement for henry and surely is front runner to replace cody,he took them after a bad beating against the village and integrated alot of young lads and had to manage that controversy before the u21 final a few year ago and also the tragedy.They really are an amazing club.
    Kelly really impressed me in the Munster final against Ballygunner too, a real all action player. Yeah impossible not to admire clubs like corofin and ballyhale, the way ballyhale have produced players generation after generation is remarkable, something special in the water there alright.

What a start to the year for Kilkenny hurling. 3 titles/silverware in the bag and we're still in January. Thinking back to last year we managed to win the Senior and Junior club titles also and St Kierans brought home silverware. Minors, Seniors and Camogie teams reached the finals. Not a bad 2019 and hopefully the great start to 2020 will continue.

On the Ballyhale performance yesterday. Henry mentioned in an interview how he planned to overcome the Borrisoleigh sweeper system which received much plaudits throughout their run to the Final. Ballyhale attacked the Brendan Maher/Dan Mccormack set up from the off. They pressurised them into both receiving yellow cards and not allowing them to have the same influence as in previous matches.

Couldn't help wondering had James Owen's been ref on Sunday would he have issued yellow or red cards for two particular dangerous challenges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Some fellas are just never satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Some fellas are just never satisfied.

Don't leave us hanging...

satisfied with what ?

The 3 titles won over the weekend ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I'd imagine he's referring to the need to refer to James Owens and the two yellow cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I'd imagine he's referring to the need to refer to James Owens and the two yellow cards.

;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

Considering just how little 15-20 quid buys you it looks like a fantastic bargain. assume you are speaking of the league. I am broke and can't think of any entertainment that would be so inexpensive, let alone my favorite entertainment. Guess I am biased by the incredible costs here to attend high-level sport that is quite inferior to hurling ...or football. whatever your poison. You can't get 2 packs of smokes(not that I want to) for that price.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

League should be 10 euros max
    A 33% increase in price is crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I think it's still decent value if you are bringing the family as kids going free is great. However I do think the GAA have an obligation to explain these price increases more clearly in order to justify them. Was there a justification given for this increase and if so what was it (I am aware these price increases came in last year, not this year)? I don't think anything along the lines of "we're still good value compared to other sports" is good enough btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

sasta le wrote: »
    League should be 10 euros max
    A 33% increase in price is crazy

It's the same price as last year.

15 euro is great value.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement