Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

The best of luck to our three clubs that are in all Ireland semi finals this weekend hopefully the weather this week will hold up for there games pitches would be better than before Christmas.

Overwhelming favourites on paper for our 3 teams to progress so they will have to tuned in.Intresting that in the junior conahys opposition were narrowly defeated by glenmore a few years ago in the junior final.i think they still have a good few of them players so they will have experience so they wouldn't want to be taken for granted.
    Tullaron should have enough for their antrim opponents.The last I heard was mossy was out so I'm not sure if he will be ready.
    Finally ballyhale have being on the road a long time between club and county I hope it doesn't catch up on them.We know they are a serious outfit and should have enough but slaughneill will have nothing to lose.They will probably set up with a sweeper and try keep it as tight as possible.Ballyhale weren't that impressive against saint Mullins but they have being winning matches by 8 and 9 points and still have more to give.i know they were beaten comprehensively against a kk team two weeks ago I hope tiredness isnt kicking in.Its still very hard to see them bet.Richie reid will be a help maybe he will be rusty but he was in great form before leaving.its a pity he wasnt around for next year league.Is paddy mullen near a return?
    Are most of the local managers staying on board?the rower have a new guy morrissey.Pat hoban with ballycallan.I presume the draws will soon be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

brookville wrote: »
    We have remained competitive since that great squad broke up.We have introduced an awful alot of new faces.Some have stepped up quicker than others.Midfield is an area we have changed game by game.It would be great to unearth a few scoring fowards during the league.I would worry that when the shamrocks lads come back they will be on the road a long time and tiredness could be an issue.
    I think it has to be a big year for a few fringe players liam blanchfield springs to mind.This will be his 4th year on the panel lads like him will need to start nailing down a place.
    While lawlor done well for his first year it's a pity delaney didnt get a few more runs at full back.Padraig is so flexible he could do a job in the fowards but I'd like to see him restored to 5 and if buckley was fully fit I'd have him at 7.Id like to see us with a bit more physicality around mid field I've heard a few lads touting Wally for this position
    Up front hopefully dj and gortha will have a good influence around our fowards and we raise a few more green flags.
    The fitzgibbon is starting around the same time as our walsh cup match plus we have 3 club teams involved so it will hopefully give a few fringe players a chance.I think I heard we have a large amount of players involved with fitzgibbon this year.

I hear Wexford are doing savage training at the minute with the goal of retaining the Leinster final again and a straight route to AI Semi-final again.

I think it will be a Wexford- Kilkenny Leinster final again in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

We'll be doing well to get to a Leinster final. We have to travel to Parnell Park and Salthill and play Wexford a week after that Salthill game. Not easy. Dublin game, as it was 2 years ago, is critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

And no hope galway have another year like 2019. Leinster could be serious craic this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

And no hope galway have another year like 2019. Leinster could be serious craic this year.
    Think there's very little between the main 4 in leinster and laois if taken for granted could be a banana skin, galway didn't convince in 2018 either, they blew hot and cold very good in some leinster championship games that year but clare really threw away the all ireland semi final, alot of miles on the clock with some of their main men too. They've alot of minor success under the belt 4 of the last 5 i think but that doesn't always translate at the highest level. As a Wexford supporter I have also heard we're doing very intense training before and after their break at xmas,we're hoping it tells come may and june.

Think at the very least 6 or 7 teams have realistic all ireland aspirations this year, it has the potential to be a brilliant year.

• Advertisement

Wexford have Graham Byrne in as S&C - he's the lad that turned Dundalk into a team of machines that dominated the LOI. Seen pictures of them up a mountain there over Christmas.

https://twitter.com/FitnessCoachG/status/1208725831213879296?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

Is this with the hurlers?

The Wexford hurlers, yes. I don't know many of the Wexford hurlers without their helmets but Hanlon and Chin are definitely there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FanLarkin12

Thee of our club teams in all Ireland semi finals this weekend there is more talk about the yellow bellies than the matches this weekend. They missed a big oppotunity last year in the semi final last year v Tipperary you have to wonder about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

It was serious craic last year!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Think there's very little between the main 4 in leinster and laois if taken for granted could be a banana skin, galway didn't convince in 2018 either, they blew hot and cold very good in some leinster championship games that year but clare really threw away the all ireland semi final, alot of miles on the clock with some of their main men too. They've alot of minor success under the belt 4 of the last 5 i think but that doesn't always translate at the highest level. As a Wexford supporter I have also heard we're doing very intense training before and after their break at xmas,we're hoping it tells come may and june.

Think at the very least 6 or 7 teams have realistic all ireland aspirations this year, it has the potential to be a brilliant year.

I agree that theres not much between the 4 top teams in leinster on their day.The very same with Munster tipp didnt get the bounce of the ball and were eliminated two years ago.Galway were unlucky not to qualify last year so like anything you need a bit of luck along the way.Injuries is also a factor with an intense few weeks of games you really need a decent squad.Its hard to see much intrest in this years league teams will probably blood more players than usual.
    I think most of the top teams are doing an enormous amount of fitness all year around so I dont think theres a huge amount between the top teams.Alot of it is about balance and trying to peak at the right time.Its a big year for wexford and while great progress has being made the finish against tipp will haunt them.It was a great opportunity missed and it's very hard to try get back to these positions especially teams trying to make the break through.They are a very organised,very fit if ye can unearth a few more fowards and strengthen the panel ye have a great chance.
    The beauty at this time of the year is everyone is back to square one.There will be a mark on tipps back while everyone else Hope's their team can win the holy grail.
    Kilkenny play wexford next sunday in the walsh cup.it should draw a decent crowd hopefully we see a few new faces.Something along the lines
    Brennan
    Michael cody,wallace,deegan
    Carey,delaney,cleere
    Leahy,Maher
    Donnelly,Wally,billy ryan
    Alan murphy,blanchfield,brassil
    Aidan nolan might be worth a run on the half foward line.He is athletic and is good in the air.david blanchfield picked up an injury late last year preventing him playing relegation but he was very good for the 20s.his brother liam and jason cleere really need to hold onto the jersey and nail down a spot.Both of them have bags of ability so hopefully dj and gortha can both help get it out of them.Mikey butler and a few of his loughlins u21 team mates had a great year winning the junior and u21 finals.

Wexford have Graham Byrne in as S&C - he's the lad that turned Dundalk into a team of machines that dominated the LOI. Seen pictures of them up a mountain there over Christmas.

https://twitter.com/FitnessCoachG/status/1208725831213879296?s=19
    taken at sliabh bhui near askamore in north wexford if you're wondering...

I agree that theres not much between the 4 top teams in leinster on their day.The very same with Munster tipp didnt get the bounce of the ball and were eliminated two years ago.Galway were unlucky not to qualify last year so like anything you need a bit of luck along the way.Injuries is also a factor with an intense few weeks of games you really need a decent squad.Its hard to see much intrest in this years league teams will probably blood more players than usual.
    I think most of the top teams are doing an enormous amount of fitness all year around so I dont think theres a huge amount between the top teams.Alot of it is about balance and trying to peak at the right time.Its a big year for wexford and while great progress has being made the finish against tipp will haunt them.It was a great opportunity missed and it's very hard to try get back to these positions especially teams trying to make the break through.They are a very organised,very fit if ye can unearth a few more fowards and strengthen the panel ye have a great chance.
    The beauty at this time of the year is everyone is back to square one.There will be a mark on tipps back while everyone else Hope's their team can win the holy grail.
    injuries a very valid point, just look at canning and galway last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Conahy Shamrocks : 3-18(27)
    Eoghan Rua: 1-12(15)

@tullaroanhurlin 3:20(29)
    @NaomhEannaCLG 0:14(14)

Two big wins. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭conor05

Walsh cup fixture

Kilkenny v Wexford down for UPMC Nowlan Park next Sunday 12th. Throw in time 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

blackcard wrote: »
    I would be more optimistic than last year. Eoin Murphy is one of the best goalkeepers in the country and Darren Brennan is a capable deputy. Huw Lawlor may have solved our full back problems with Paul Murphy, Tommy Walsh, Miley Butler, Darren Mullen Joey Holden competing for the remaining positions in the full back line. Padraig Walsh and Conor Delaney should fill 2 positions in the half back line with competition from Paddy Deegan, Richie Reid, Cillian Buckley, Jason Cleere. Midfield has Richie Leahy, James Maher, Conor Browne and Conor Fogarty. TJ, Adrian Mullen, Colin Fennelly and John Donnelly should fill 4 spots in the forwards. I would like to see Billy Ryan and Liam Blanchfield get extended runs to nail down their spots. Richie Hogan, Walter Walsh, Shane Walsh to provide competition.
    I don't see Evan Shefflin, Enda Morrissey, Ger Aylward, Kevin Kelly, Luke Scanlon making it. David Blanchfield could be a useful addition to the squad

As would I. I had a few players in mind to single out but the truth is, I don't want to type as many as are coming to mind. club hurling is really strong in kilkenny and there is talent spread everywhere, just look at the above examples. Okay, other than the obvious one player I'd love to see get a run based on club form is R.Reid. He sometimes doesn't make the best decisions but has quite an engine on him. Always buzzing around, always working. John Donnelly should be a sure thing & I really think highly of Conor Brown in midfield. Tons more. We'll be there or thereabouts for some time. I'm not so sure you're right about Evan Shefflin though. He's a much different, larger & more confident, player than last year & I would like to see if he can perform at IC levels. With Conor Delaney healthy and Darren Mullen likely getting a chance along with the impressive Tommy Walsh, R. Reid, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our established backs lose out. Those backs led by Eoin Murphy should be up for any team.
    Enjoy the Semi-finals today everyone! Tough getting my nerves all in a bother at 9am.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

David Blanchfield by virtue of his being by far our best under 20 player in 2019, Darren Mullen by virtue of his club displays, Conor Delaney who would have been a fixture but for injury , Huw lawlor and TJ because they were consistently good in every game should be the only automatic picks for 2020. All the rest had their ups and downs. The sum total of our 2019 season was one good win over Cork one lucky win over Limerick the truth be told if the Limerick match had gone on much longer we would not have held out. We did not do much in the league scraped through the Leinsters and would have lost the All Ireland with or without the sending off and lost it comfortably. A radical over haul is required. A dominant center back, a dominant center forward, a dominant full forward and lastly a dominant mid- fielder are the requirements. We dont seem to have them for any of these positions. Average to good is what we had last year in these positions but average to good just wont cut it.There is no one on last years squad who are good enough so to see the same names again is just more of the same.

I'd include Eoin Murphy in the 'automatic picks' group. Hard to argue w/much of the rest. Unfortunately. It's a new year w/some new people. Hopefully DJ & Gortha can bring something new as last year BC made some head scratching decisions. Others in the forwards will need to step up. TJ had the year of his life last year & while in great shape is 32 & w/Ballyhale going for a 2nd final appearance he has put some millage on in the last 18 months. Not to mention past 10-11 years*.
    * just when it looked like 28-29 was becoming the norm for retirement all 3 HOTY candidates were 30+ & the Football POTY is 40-41? There's hope for us overgrown kids.

taken at sliabh bhui near askamore in north wexford if you're wondering...

Thx. I was wondering but thought I knew... Was pretty confident too. Glad there's not a paddypower/etc everywhere here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

When did Shamrocks get player-fit jerseys?

When did Shamrocks get player-fit jerseys?

Eoin cody and a few others look more bulked out today alright
    Very impressed with slaughneill and as I said the other day the shamrocks would have to be tuned and I hope fatigue wouldn't kick in cause these are very fit.the fowards aren't getting much space.adrian mullen hasn't felt the weight of the ball..ballyhale worked a few lovely scores in the first half passing it around.Colin was very good today could of had 4 goals.Today was a tricky assignment well done to slaughneill they done their county and province proud and there some very good players on view.Hopefully they can stay at it and hopefully get their reward.That game will probably bring on the shamrocks and they will feel at home in the wide open space of croke park.
    As stated hopefully joey,colin and TJ get a nice break and try get them back for the championship fresh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

That Slaughneil half back throwing away Cody's?? hurl in the first half....shameful but behaviour I for one am not surprised by. Good tight win for Ballyhale and importantly they finished with 15

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭bamayang

Listening on KCLR, Michael Walsh would rot you. 15
    minutes to go and 3 points in it, “well shamrocks have one leg in the final”. 2 minutes later and it’s 2 points in it, “oh this could go either way, all to play for”.
    He also cuts across the main presenter all day. The main lad is trying to paint a bit of a picture of what’s going on with a shot or a free and Walsh just shouts in over him “wide, wide, it’s gone wide”. A co commentator is meant to analyse what happened after the event, not just shout in over the other person if they see it a half second earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

That Slaughneil half back throwing away Cody's?? hurl in the first half....shameful but behaviour I for one am not surprised by. Good tight win for Ballyhale and importantly they finished with 15

Bad form, the way he spells his name is worse, Meehaul McGrath.

Wow! Tough battle & a bit much to be watching first thing in the morning. point for point, goal for goal & even purple patch for ... ...
    Gotta love Evan Shefflin, when he gets his chances he puts them over the black spot. Brian Cody was another who impressed. gotta say club HOTY has to be between Colin Fen, TJ, & Brendan Maher. Slaughtneil are nothing if not tough & consistent. If anyone was to beat the Sharocks I was hoping for them to finally get over the line. What makes an Ulster(no offense meant) club so competitive in Hurling, camogie and football when so many are football only or play a little small ball but with nothing like the success of Slaughtneil. Come on Finals!
    Congrats to the other KK teams. Wish they'd been broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

Well done to Shamrocks (and to Slaughtneil too). You would hope that Joey, TJ, Colin and Adrian get a couple of months break after the AI final. Maybe Evan, Darren and Eoin Cody might be given an opportunity to stake a claim for a place on the county team.

Well done to our 3 clubs this weekend and great to be looking foward to big days out in croke park.Father o neills and tullaron could be a cracker.Both were tipped at the start to make the final.father o neills had two sent off at the weekend which could be a disadvantage.Declan dalton their star player he also played for imokily that won the county final.Himself and young tommy should have a good tussle.mossy is in flying form.Hopefully tommy can sign off with a win in croke park but his flying in his new position at full foward.
    Ballyhale had to use all their experience today and tj and colin got them over the line today.Colin was excellent today.Should be a good final with borris.Both teams had their own bit of tragedy during the year.Its hard not to admire brendan Maher he has being outstanding.They are tough as nails but maybe the big open spaces of croke park and the shamrocks experience it might be enough but couldn't rule borris out.mick fennelly and Johnny kelly both involved with offally will go up against each other in two weeks.is richie reid home for the final?
    With 3 clubs involved in finals the next few week and the walsh cup coming up soon what kind of team would we like to see against wexford?
    The league group isnt as cut throat as previous years so hopefully the club lads aren't rushed back.

Well done to our 3 clubs this weekend and great to be looking foward to big days out in croke park.Father o neills and tullaron could be a cracker.Both were tipped at the start to make the final.father o neills had two sent off at the weekend which could be a disadvantage.Declan dalton their star player he also played for imokily that won the county final.Himself and young tommy should have a good tussle.mossy is in flying form.Hopefully tommy can sign off with a win in croke park but his flying in his new position at full foward.
    Ballyhale had to use all their experience today and tj and colin got them over the line today.Colin was excellent today.Should be a good final with borris.Both teams had their own bit of tragedy during the year.Its hard not to admire brendan Maher he has being outstanding.They are tough as nails but maybe the big open spaces of croke park and the shamrocks experience it might be enough but couldn't rule borris out.mick fennelly and Johnny kelly both involved with offally will go up against each other in two weeks.is richie reid home for the final?
    With 3 clubs involved in finals the next few week and the walsh cup coming up soon what kind of team would we like to see against wexford?
    The league group isnt as cut throat as previous years so hopefully the club lads aren't rushed back.
    there's actually fitzgibbon cup games scheduled for next weekend too so interesting to see how it plays out if ye were missing club and college players gorta and dj would nearly have to tog out...

Yea fitzgibbon matches going on aswell.Its probably madness playing the walsh cup I know it's for a good cause but it's a heavy schedule for players.alot of teams will be down to the bear minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

there's actually fitzgibbon cup games scheduled for next weekend too so interesting to see how it plays out if ye were missing club and college players gorta and dj would nearly have to tog out...

Might be a bit more creativity in front of goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Village87

Great win Ballyhale yesterday, there fowards are pure class they way they create chances, especially Colin and TJ both physically very strong well able for Slaughtneills physicality.

Borrisoleigh surely noticed some weak points in the Shamrocks backs. The 2 wing backs are well able to hurl, Shefflin and Reid but got cleaned out of it yesterday. Shefflin got done for speed a few times and Reid could not compete physically and Micheal the great warrior that he is aint getting faster. Croke park could expose the lack of pace in the shamrocks half back line

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement