Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Was at another game so only watched it late .had read some of the comments here about ref and was expecting him to have a wexford Jersey on.jesus some of ye would want to get the eyes checked. We were fouling a lot it was lazy stuff.swipe across lads coming out and pulling at the arm.i guarantee if ye look at it again .most will spot the fouls second time round.

It’s as much what he didn’t give KK as what he gave WEX. So many obvious fouls on KK players not blown for a free. KK players looked shocked they weren’t given a free on loads of occasions. Anyone that can’t see how against KK the referee was hasn’t a clue about the basics of hurling imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

SteJer wrote: »
    By a distance the worst refereeing display against Kilkenny I’ve ever seen at any level (including numerous Barry Kelly performances). Some of the frees blown against Kilkenny were mind boggling. The Wexford players were even surprised they were getting a free a lot of the time. Blatantly obvious frees for Kilkenny not given.

Ridiculous yellow cards too. He was obviously hoping to catch one of our lads on a double yellow.

Wexford had the ball brought forward several times because of Kilkenny dissent when a free was given but they could do and say what they wanted after a rare free was given to Kilkenny and the ball was never brought forward.

Despite his best efforts we managed to win. Great result considering we were playing in Wexford Park, Wexford hurling is on a major high and we were missing Mullen.

We should have won by a lot more than 2 points. A major lack of composure from a lot of our players on many occasions. Sloppy passes, dropped balls and some poor decisions from Mason on goal. A lot of improvement required if we are to beat Cork or Tipperary.

Great to have 3 All-Ireland semi finals to look forward to. If we play to our potential in all of them we will have 3 All-Ireland finals to look forward to soon.

From your first post it was all the frees he gave wexford. Was the issue
    But now after a sleep and a bit of reflection it's the frees he didn't give Kilkenny. Maybe your still a touch boggled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Briefly back to the topic of referees Sean cleere has got us and tipp and Alan Kelly from galway got ye and Limerick[/QUOTE]

Bad news.... Alan Kelly is an awful referee imo

From your first post it was all the frees he gave wexford. Was the issue
    But now after a sleep and a bit of reflection it's the frees he didn't give Kilkenny. Maybe your still a touch boggled

“Anyone that can’t see how against KK the referee was hasn’t a clue about the basics of hurling imo.” (or in your case not actually a KK hurling supporter or from KK).

“Anyone that can’t see how against KK the referee was hasn’t a clue about the basics of hurling imo.”
    The imo
    In that statement probably says enough.trust me I'm a Kilkenny supporter and haven't missed a Kilkenny match in 30years.as well as attending every club game that time allows.and won a nice few bits both on and off the field.

• Advertisement

The imo
    In that statement probably says enough.

You obviously can’t read either as I mention in the first paragraph about the frees not given to KK too. Any genuine KK hurling supporter couldn’t be happy with the performance of the referee yesterday.

citykat wrote: »
    Every county moans about the ref post game. The idea that you can't say a word about the referee when you win a game is puerile nonsense. The referee is fair game for analysis win, lose or draw. On last night we were guilty of a lot of frees but that doesn't absolve the referee from criticism where he got it wrong. In my view he got the decision for that last 21 yard free wrong. It's a single decision but coming at that time in that location it could have had a major bearing on the outcome of the game. Kilkenny won, so we should ignore that decision? No way.
    I don't believe in refereeing conspiracies. I believe referees get it wrong like the rest of us. But I do believe in the right to be able to critique a refereeing performance win, lose or draw and not be told to stfu and just enjoy the win.

Who says you can’t say anything about the referee when you win? Some trolls who come on a KK hurling forum pretending to be from KK? They have little to be doing with their day obviously.

The imo
    In that statement probably says enough.trust me I'm a Kilkenny supporter and haven't missed a Kilkenny match in 30years.as well as attending every club game that time allows.and won a nice few bits both on and off the field.

I would have thought you’d be able to read a post correctly and understand when a referee is good and bad so. I have my doubts.

People can have look on tg4 player and make up their own mind.im sure if you do yourself you will probably regret posting your original post.
    Anyway enough said about a ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

citykat wrote: »
    Every county moans about the ref post game. The idea that you can't say a word about the referee when you win a game is puerile nonsense. The referee is fair game for analysis win, lose or draw. On last night we were guilty of a lot of frees but that doesn't absolve the referee from criticism where he got it wrong. In my view he got the decision for that last 21 yard free wrong. It's a single decision but coming at that time in that location it could have had a major bearing on the outcome of the game. Kilkenny won, so we should ignore that decision? No way.
    I don't believe in refereeing conspiracies. I believe referees get it wrong like the rest of us. But I do believe in the right to be able to critique a refereeing performance win, lose or draw and not be told to stfu and just enjoy the win.
    yes everyone is guilty of the blinkers on regards referees but everything here sense 9 last night proves my point, far to much talk of the ref and barely a mention of blanchfield who was outstanding for ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Grats

People can have look on tg4 player and make up their own mind.im sure if you do yourself you will probably regret posting your original post.
    Anyway enough said about a ref.

Any Kilkenny supporter, at the match or watching on TV, need have no regrets about questioning the ref. He was dreadful. Wexfird supporters were critical of him too BTW but weren't so much in the last 15 minutes or so.

Blanchfield was congratulated on the pitch afterwards. Wouldn't think he reads Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Village87

Blanchfield really looks top class. Still waiting on Carey to put in a big performance. Get Mullen back in there and they will be a hard team to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 takeyourpoint

Well done to the u20s last night. Although they wouldn't have been out of the competition if they lost - it was important to beat Wexford down there. Again had to watch it on the telly and the ref made it close in the end. Blanchfield was excellent. Still think an improvement will be needed to beat Tip and especially Cork. To be in three semis is great for a county that is supposedly on the decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Neewollah

Great win last night. Ref was poor but IMO he was poor both ways. We got away with a few blatant fouls as well. Couple of 50/50 calls in the large square that easily could have been penalties went out way.

Onto more important things. Very impressed with the backs. Mikey Butler was great in the corner. Heary and Blanchfieldbrilliant. Incredible development from Blanchfield over the last 18 months. Was he ever on the KK minor panel?

Carey at centre back I think needs to improve. Had a better second half. Shefflin for what he scored I feel covers over some flaws in his performance. His man had a good game and felt his use of possession was poor overall.

Forwards were good in patches. Ryan and Brassil probably the best. Cody struggled to get into it fully. Brennan, Donnolly and Bergin were on the periphery.

Great to win not being at our best. I like this team and hope they go onto win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

yes everyone is guilty of the blinkers on regards referees but everything here sense 9 last night proves my point, far to much talk of the ref and barely a mention of blanchfield who was outstanding for ye

The ref was brutal from the start and then in the last 15 minutes he became as biased as a ref can possible be without putting on a jersey. He gave yellow cards to Kilkenny like confetti at a wedding hoping as one previous poster said to hopefully enable him to give a second. Apart from the frees not given, how he allowed the Wexford full forward to pick the ball off the ground beggers belief and allowed play to continue around the Kilkenny goal mouth for at least a minute and only when the danger had passed did he pay attention to his umpire If Wexford had scored from that pick up I doubt he would have listened to his umpire at all. The additional time of 5 minutes, God only knows where that came from but then to extend it to almost 7 minutes was a deliberate attempt to allow Wexford the opportunity to get at least a draw if not the win. There was no where near 7 minutes of injury time in that game not even three at a push. There is not enough talk about poor referees on here and far too many telling us we cannot criticize them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

I got the impression that DJ wasn't happy with Adrian Mullen not playing. A similar thing happened with Cillian Buckley 6 or 7 years ago,Cillian was brought on late but by that time Wexford had momentum built up and they went on to win in extra time. I suppose the only difference this time is that it wasn't knockout.

The ref was brutal from the start and then in the last 15 minutes he became as biased as a ref can possible be without putting on a jersey. He gave yellow cards to Kilkenny like confetti at a wedding hoping as one previous poster said to hopefully enable him to give a second. Apart from the frees not given, how he allowed the Wexford full forward to pick the ball off the ground beggers belief and allowed play to continue around the Kilkenny goal mouth for at least a minute and only when the danger had passed did he pay attention to his umpire If Wexford had scored from that pick up I doubt he would have listened to his umpire at all. The additional time of 5 minutes, God only knows where that came from but then to extend it to almost 7 minutes was a deliberate attempt to allow Wexford the opportunity to get at least a draw if not the win. There was no where near 7 minutes of injury time in that game not even three at a push. There is not enough talk about poor referees on here and far too many telling us we cannot criticize them.

100% spot on. I didn't want to mention that pick up incident for fear of further bashing. But you're reading of it and the rest of your post concurs with how Kilkenny supporters at the match felt.

Great post. A genuine KK hurling supporter who likes to speak their mind. The KK players have worked as hard as any other panel of players this year. It’s disgraceful that a referee tried so hard to prevent them winning a Leinster title. I never have a problem when KK lose to the better team but when a referee is so one sided it needs to be highlighted. It’s a total disservice to the players for a KK supporter to come on here trying to be a hero by saying others shouldn’t talk about the referee etc. I’m sure the players & management would like to voice their opinion on the referee too, if they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

The additional time of 5 minutes, God only knows where that came from but then to extend it to almost 7 minutes was a deliberate attempt to allow Wexford the opportunity to get at least a draw if not the win. There was no where near 7 minutes of injury time in that game not even three at a push.

You werent paying attention so if you think there was only 3 mins, there was 6 substitutions in the second half so thats 3 mins right there, even if there wasnt another single stoppage of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Pogue eile wrote: »
    You werent paying attention so if you think there was only 3 mins, there was 6 substitutions in the second half so thats 3 mins right there, even if there wasnt another single stoppage of play.

Where are you getting the 30sec per sub rule ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

The comedy just never stops on this thread, you have lads actually moaning when the referee awards their team a free.

BOSTIK wrote: »
    The comedy just never stops on this thread, you have lads actually moaning when the referee awards their team a free.

glad you enjoy it.....
    Do call back again soon.... :D

Pogue eile wrote: »

I think you are confusing soccer & GAA. You would be better off sticking with the soccer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

BOSTIK wrote: »

There are night time classes in literacy, in most towns cities and villages these days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

t’s disgraceful that a referee tried so hard to prevent them winning a Leinster title.

It's all a big conspiracy theory the GAA trying to put down poor downtrodden Kilkenny.

Its mad that in the aftermath of a Leinster final win, the vast majority of the posts are whinging about the ref. I didnt think he was great, but I thought he was far from a big issue either to be honest. Wexford I thought were quite poor. Their first half tactics were atrocious and only slightly improved int he second half. Their skill levels were also sloppy and shooting was woeful. But they fought hard and at least have another day out, although I doubt Banville will play as he seemed to suffer a serious shoulder injury.

I thought Kilkenny were poor enough too to be honest. Just lacked a killer instinct that is usually prevalent in Kilkenny teams. They were much better in most areas on the field, but never really drove on and made sure of the game. I'm assuming there is more in them, but after last night, I can easily see the Munster final teams winning both semi finals. Hopefully not, but even as a comparison to both minor teams, I thought the 2 games we played at that level showed a lot more skill level and promise. Mullen will make a big difference alright. Good ball went into the full forward line but just didnt capitalise enough on it.

The time added on seemed long alright, but there was a lengthy stoppage for an injured linesman and also for when Ross Banville went off. I dont know how much went on after the 5 minutes were played, some here saying 6 and a half? That would seem a lot alright.

As was said, these are young players who have prepared for the Final the same as Wexford. The ref is there to protect the players not to influence the result. Every genuine supporter at the match was disgusted by the ref and this was reflected on this forum. It'll be a sad day if we stop watching out, and supporting, for our young players. I'm so glad our dismay of the officials is being expressed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Grats wrote: »
    Every genuine supporter at the match was disgusted by the ref

wow, either you did well to talk to 6 and a half thousand people, or there are only 3 or 4 genuine supporters that were there.

Referees influencing results. Its all a big conspiracy to take ye down.

bruschi wrote: »
    wow, either you did well to talk to 6 and a half thousand people, or there are only 3 or 4 genuine supporters that were there.

Just to clarify, this is the Kilkenny forum. My post referred to Kilkenny supporters. If I had posted on the Liam McCarthy forum I'd have specified genuine Kilkenny supporters. I would have thought someone like you would have the smarts to follow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Can we move on to talk about Limerick, I was seriously impressed by them when they came to Nowlan Park during the league. They went 13 points up before they took their foot off the gas near the end. It was like men against boys. Their physical conditioning was serious even lads like Cian Lynch and Graeme Mulcahy. They looked fairly awesome against Tipp the last day too , giving them a 12 point beating. I suppose the positive from the last day is that we put up a decent score against Cork but I don't think Limerick will be turning over ball like Cork did

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »

I hope yee Wexfordians aren't too upset ….

Every other county say the refs give everything to Kilkenny, and yet we complain the ref gave us nothing....

Who'd be a ref !! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement