Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Large number of posters coming on here lately to tell KK fans what they are allowed to talk about. I suppose it's great craic for them when they get a reaction but it must be a really sad existence if that's where they get their thrills. I have found this forum an excellent resource in the past especially when I was living away from KK and I hope it doesn't go downhill as it appears to be going. Good win for U20s last night. Lots of potential in that team and they can play a lot better. You could definitely see 5 to 6 potential seniors coming from that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

blackcard wrote: »
    Can we move on to talk about Limerick, I was seriously impressed by them when they came to Nowlan Park during the league. They went 13 points up before they took their foot off the gas near the end. It was like men against boys. Their physical conditioning was serious even lads like Cian Lynch and Graeme Mulcahy. They looked fairly awesome against Tipp the last day too , giving them a 12 point beating. I suppose the positive from the last day is that we put up a decent score against Cork but I don't think Limerick will be turning over ball like Cork did

I remember thinking during the league that Limerick were lightyears ahead of everyone else in terms of conditioning and how polished and intuitive their gameplan was, while everyone else was blowing off cobwebs. It was especially impressive given they were coming off the back of winning the AI of course.

But since the beginning of the championship I feel like that gap narrowed a lot between them and everyone else. The Munster final is obviously evidence to the contrary, but it's still hard to say to what extent that was about Tipp letting the heads drop (their performance against Laois lends credence to the idea that they might be short on steam). We're up against it next week, no doubt, but I wouldn't expect anything like the shellacking we got in the league, especially as we're starting to figure out what our own gameplan is. The Cork match showed a greater level of gameplanning and ability to adjust to circumstance than earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

I don't mind being the underdog last week everyone thought it was curtains me aswell with the early penalty and chance which Murphy saved especially with corks forwards. Last week was the first time they stepped up and clicked without the over reliance on tj. No one thought we'd beat Cork and the same will apply to limerick, the difference is the never say die attitude in a semi final and a bit of luck were 70 mins from a final. Limerick have more to lose as alot say we're still 2/3 years away but anything can happen on the day and last week was the perfect way to answer critics after some poor decisions in the leinster final

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Onto limerick.
    Their will be some battle out around the middle 3rd.i see our halfforwards going out their looking to counteract their halfforwards doing the same.space will be at a premium. Fogarty was excellent against cork getting back to help out the fullback line. Which can't be left exposed like they were against cork.have no doubt kiely will try to expose our fullback line gillane and mulcahy are lethal if fed the correct ball.
    We pride ourselves on working hard and making life hard for opposition
    But so do limerick. I would fancy us against any team in the country
    But these lads work as hard as us.richie Hogan could be the key working of breaks from Colin.deleany could be involved at some stage and Maher coming of the bench. As we get closer to the game confidence will rise
    But it's a huge task they looked awesome in the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BlachAmber

Limerick are a serious outfit, in all aspects of the game and have a real bench too.

I’m delighted we’re playing them, I really am, it’s a great test for our young lads and under Cody they’ll be right up for it.

As for the league trimming they gave us, if I remember rightly the damage was done in a ten or twelve minute burst when our defence followed their men down to the Ted Carroll end for chips and coke, leaving the most almighty one on one on the full back who then had to deal with both his man and on-rushing treaty men offering two or three options for Gillane or whoever it was, I could barely watch the naivety of it.

Listen, they were miles better on the day, and are a better team right now but they’ve lost twice already ( and to a team we tore asunder recently) and we’re Kilkenny.

I’m sure Lyng and McGarry will have poured over video of the Munster final. We’ll be ready. Let’s hope we’re good enough to carry the day and the battle it’ll become.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Let us start with the 3-18 conceeded to Cork. The Limerick forwards are every bit as dangerous and unlike Cork who brought 3 physical forwards to the battle Limerick will bring 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭mullinr2

How many from the u20 team will be drafted in next year to the senior panel. The following players have great potential:
    1. Adrian Mullen: apart from the Galway game he is proving to be our next TJ. Outstanding player.
    2. Eoin Cody: was held well last night, but from watching him for Ballyhale and his goal against Galway, he also has a touch of class about him.
    3. Evan Shefflin: very assured player. He scored a lovely point last night
    4. David Blanchfield: tall and athletic player, something which we need in our backline.
    These are just four players that I think could make a huge difference next year. Anyone else that might be brought in next year?
    Future not as bleak as I thought. After the Cork performance I think there's a bit of life and drive from the team again. However, Limerick could very well bring us right back down to earth again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

Let us start with the 3-18 conceeded to Cork. The Limerick forwards are every bit as dangerous and unlike Cork who brought 3 physical forwards to the battle Limerick will bring 6.
    Should the dreaded "sweeper" word be mentioned? Last year they opened us up completely and we had Eoin Murphy to thank. I think the best option is to drop back our half forwards, midfield and half backs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

Should the dreaded "sweeper" word be mentioned? Last year they opened us up completely and we had Eoin Murphy to thank. I think the best option is to drop back our half forwards, midfield and half backs

blackcard wrote: »

I don't think Cody will ever go with the obvious sweeper.but they will sit very deep.trying to create the space at the other end.both sets of halfforwards will be marking each other.leahy caused havoc last year when he came on and Donnelly also.hard to believe lyng and keoghan
    Started last year and we were so close.colin is a different animal this year also.will he start wally for the physical exchanges or hold him.could James Maher come in and move fogarty back to the wing.

I think this could be the start of a massive rivalry they will be around for a few years and I think we are best positioned to challenge them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

A lot of people mention that Lennon, Lyng and Mossy started the game last year. I've no doubt we're in better shape as a panel this year than last, and I'm hopeful of the starting 15 being much stronger than that game (especially if it's similar to the Cork game), though I feel that people are forgetting that Limerick have definitely gone up another level since then too.

We've the bones of a serious team coming through, and a very good crop of under 20s who will hopefully find their legs are senior in the next year or two, but don't forget that TJ & Richie Hogan will be massive losses in the next few years. TJ is probably the best player in the country and will leave a massive gap. I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll always be there or thereabouts, but it's premature to say it'll be a Limerick and Kilkenny rivalry for the next few years.

I don't think there'll be an out and out sweeper, but I'm sure they'll be tweaks here and there to try and tighten up the defense. Hopefully Buckley and Delaney are good to go, but I'd say there's no chance they'll be 100% match sharp by Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

greenspurs wrote: »
    Where are you getting the 30sec per sub rule ?
    SteJer wrote: »
    I think you are confusing soccer & GAA. You would be better off sticking with the soccer!

It is actually in part of the guidelines for GAA referees, and to be honest its perfectly sensible, incidentaly how long would either of you allow for a substitution, and think carefully now, it wont always be KK in front :D

Large number of posters coming on here lately to tell KK fans what they are allowed to talk about. I suppose it's great craic for them when they get a reaction but it must be a really sad existence if that's where they get their thrills. I have found this forum an excellent resource in the past especially when I was living away from KK and I hope it doesn't go downhill as it appears to be going. Good win for U20s last night. Lots of potential in that team and they can play a lot better. You could definitely see 5 to 6 potential seniors coming from that team.

Thats a very interesting and well thought out post...would it surprise you to know that in your own short posting history you have posted on the Kerry, Cork and Clare forums among others.

Is it just the KK thread that is restricted to the natives? Really should get a Mod to put that in the opening post just so we know like, becasue I think some people are under the impression that this is a public discussion board and if someone posts, others are allowed to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Regular posters on this forum would realise we've made our points and have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

There are night time classes in literacy, in most towns cities and villages these days

Wouldn't do you any harm to go along yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I find all these arguments since Wednesday really really interesting and that you should all continue going in circles. It's great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Pogue eile wrote: »
    It is actually in part of the guidelines for GAA referees, and to be honest its perfectly sensible, incidentaly how long would either of you allow for a substitution, and think carefully now, it wont always be KK in front :D

Would you have a link to that 'guideline' ?
    for clarity …
    You felt the need to get a little dig in at the end ? Couldn't resist?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    Would you have a link to that 'guideline' ?
    for clarity …
    You felt the need to get a little dig in at the end ? Couldn't resist?

Sorry wasn't meant as a dig, it was a genuine observation, the common practice of adding 30 sec for a substitution will work to your disadvantage one day and your advantage another day - 30 secs seem perfectly plausible to me, do you think its too much or too little?

Guidance is probably a better word as oppopsed to guidelines, I have been at a County Board Traning course for officials and a Munster Council one and both offered the same guidance, and to be honest I have never ever heard it questioned or disputed, again seems like a perfectly reasonable and logical approach. I know that there is a seperate training/briefing for referees on national intercounty panels but nver been.

Sorry wasn't meant as a dig, it was a genuine observation, the common practice of adding 30 sec for a substitution will work to your disadvantage one day and your advantage another day - 30 secs seem perfectly plausible to me, do you think its too much or too little?

Guidance is probably a better word as oppopsed to guidelines, I have been at a County Board Traning course for officials and a Munster Council one and both offered the same guidance, and to be honest I have never ever heard it questioned or disputed, again seems like a perfectly reasonable and logical approach. I know that there is a seperate training/briefing for referees on national intercounty panels but nver been.

It was introduced in 2016.
    A referee is supposed to add 20 seconds for a substitute
    And 20 seconds for 45s or 65s
    And 30 seconds for use of hawkeye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I totally agree with you re 30 seconds per substitution but if it is a guideline referees rarely follow it, very unusual to have more than a minute or two of added time in hurling matches regardless of the amount of subsitutions.

• Advertisement

It was introduced in 2016.
    A referee is supposed to add 20 seconds for a substitute
    And 20 seconds for 45s or 65s
    And 30 seconds for use of hawkeye

Club players must be slower to come off :D I doubt any refree is allowing that time for 65's at the end, certainly not consistently.

Certianly in hurling there is a very strong arguement to be made for taking the timekeping duties away from the referee, lord knows he has enough to be doing a linesman or even the fourth official should be responsible for how much time is to be added on.

Club players must be slower to come off :D I doubt any refree is allowing that time for 65's at the end, certainly not consistently.

Certianly in hurling there is a very strong arguement to be made for taking the timekeping duties away from the referee, lord knows he has enough to be doing a linesman or even the fourth official should be responsible for how much time is to be added on.

If you were to stop the clock every time the ball went out of play a game would take 3 hours to complete. It's the nature of the game. Ball in play in a all ireland is about 31mins of the 76.So where do you stop

If you were to stop the clock every time the ball went out of play a game would take 3 hours to complete. It's the nature of the game. Ball in play in a all ireland is about 31mins of the 76.So where do you stop

You're going to get in trouble now with the 'regular posters' for referencing a Tipp mans analysis!

Yeah agree with you, it's a bit like any rules and regualtions, they are only introdcued and enforced because of people who take the piss - subs crawling to the sideline if winning and sprinting if loosing nad same with Goalkeepers coming up to take frees, they go back a lot quicker that they come up!

Facts are facts even if they came from a tipp man.
    Useful info as regards training teams .done a course in Galway
    A few years ago and the referenced it a bit .It's available online

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Any update on Adrian Mullen? Wonder when he picked up the injury that DJ referred to. He seemed fine leaving the pitch in Croke Park. The seniors hardly did much training on Monday or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Grats wrote: »
    Any update on Adrian Mullen? Wonder when he picked up the injury that DJ referred to. He seemed fine leaving the pitch in Croke Park. The seniors hardly did much training on Monday or Tuesday.
    I reckon he's fine, he didn't warm up Wednesday but when I arrived about 6.30 he was pucking around with the other players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

I would not put too much into the league result.
    Kilkenny V Limerick
    Eoin Murphy
    Tommy Walsh
    Conor Delaney
    Enda Morrissey
    Padraig Walsh
    Paddy Deegan
    Paul Murphy
    Conor Fogarty
    Martin Keoghan
    Richie Leahy
    Walter Walsh
    James Maher
    Billy Ryan
    Kevin Kelly
    John Donnelly

No Cillian Buckley, Hue lawlor, TJ Reid, Colin Fennelly, Darren Mullen, Joey holden, Billy Sheehan

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Limerick are a good team,but I fancy us against anyone in a semi at croke park.underdogs with everyone but not in the players eyes.looking forward to the 2 games.terrible decision by the ref last year cost us.(yes murphy kept us in it but thats what he is there to do.)free on donnelly would have put us 2 clear.better team now and all to play for.league result will have no bearing for eithier team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Adrian Mullen will be fit for selection for Kilkenny against Limerick in the All Ireland SHC semi final, Brian Cody had just confirmed

From John Knox’s twitter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement