Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭kksaints

Good win even if it wasn't a convincing performance. Thought we looked good in the first half playing against the wind. Movement from the forwards was really good and the Half back line were excellent, won a mountain of ball. Second half was very scratchy, ball didn't really stick in the forwards and the movement from the full forward line disappeared. Sometimes I wonder why when teams are playing with the wind they start to go long even if playing short against the wind was effective. The high long passes don't suit our players and the Wexford backs dealt with them fairly well.

Ref was rubbish. Some of the frees, given to Wexford in the second half beggared belief and the soft yellows were ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Conditions played a bit part in the game I think - for both teams. A wet greasy surface and the ball was like a bar of soap so I wouldn't worry too much. Great to get the win. Lads battled very well. Ref was very poor as KK has to work a lot harder for frees but that game will bring them on a good bit.

Great for D.J. to get a title and all in all, it hasn't been a bad few days for KK hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Did ye all not get the memo? Apparently you're not supposed to criticise referee especially after winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

citykat wrote: »
    Did ye all not get the memo? Apparently you're not supposed to criticise referee especially after winning.

Sorry:o

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

citykat wrote: »

I’d love a referee to be fair so I don’t have to complain. It seems to be getting worse though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Wexford did look to get there frees easier especially when we threatened to pull away but he can't be blamed for the few terrible wides we drove.We gave him a few easy opportunities aswell lazy tackles with hands on the back but near the end we looked absolutley bet on our feet and i fear if that game had to of went on.We didn't play to our potential maybe the hot favourites tag seeped in but that was a game shefflin and our backs won for us despite the talk of our backs leaky i thought they were very solid tonight for most of it our fowards at times in the first half the ball just couldnt stick in the hand and lads like sean ryan was very nearly making it happen.These lads will hopefully learn from it and know they can play much better but tonight they won the dogfight which is always a good trait in a team and needs to be done when things aren't flowing.Wexford were on a high going into this and winning tonight without mullen is nothing to be snuffed at.Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

We looked better than them but made very hard work of it.with mullen we would have won alot easier.well done to all invollved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

I can only conclude that one of our lads abused the referee early in the second half and the referee allowed this to cloud his judgement for the remainder of the match. Stupid from us if this was the case. We only got 1 further free and that was at the bequest of an umpire. Players who abuse referees should be given a kick up the ar**

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

17 frees conceded by KK and 7 conceded by WX. That says it all really. It’s rare for there to be such a difference. His performance should be scrutinised by the referee committee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

It was disgusting the way he reefereed it the biterness against kilkenny is un real,very happy with to night a lot of lads showed what they were made of. This team reminds me of the 1999 team u21 my congratulatons to managment team..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

Welcome to the ref watch forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Mulbert wrote: »
    Welcome to the ref watch forum

If you saw the match, as an outsider what did you honestly think of the ref?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Look everyone has blinkers on when it comes to referees I'm as guilty of it as the next man but ye seriously take the biscuit,ye got away with 3 or 4 blatant fouls aswel tonight.I'm not just judging on what has been posted here in the last few hours I'm judging on many a visit to nowlan park the last few years. Some of your supporters seem to have this belief that your simply not allowed to tackle TJ Reid. This isn't a isolated view either, I was up at ourselves and Dublin in Parnell park back in may talking to a few dubs on the terrace who had a similar experience in nowlan park the previous week.

On to the far more important business of tonights game ye were undoubtedly the slicker team and deserved the win but I'd be very proud of our lads efforts considering we were 3/1 outsiders and fairly so. Our backs were really solid and showed loads of character but we lacked a bit of quality upfront. Just out of curiosity would blanchfield have been considered 1 of the main 4 or 5 players on your team he was head and shoulders above anyone tonight. Is a younger brother of liam blanchfield?same question about Stephen donnelly and Sean Ryan, are they brothers of John donnelly and Billy Ryan?shefflin did damage but weirdly Jack reck who was marking him I taught played really well too. Taught eoin cody and eoin molloy had a right battle. 6,612 was the attendance if anyone is wondering.Congratulations on beating cork in the Senior i was actually delighted given all the recent Munster leinster debates.

Briefly back to the topic of referees Sean cleere has got us and tipp and Alan Kelly from galway got ye and Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

It's a Kilkenny forum so you should expect we'd be biased. Even if we did get away with 4 or 5 blatant fouls that would make the free count 17 to 11. I was at the match and didn't see Kilkenny players that more indisciplined than Wexford. Plus the amount of yellow cards dished out to KK was ridiculous. I met quite a few reasonable supporters after the match and all felt the ref was dreadful. It's an opinion expressed on the pitch directly after the match without any influence from forums. I think it's reasonable to discuss the ref.

Grats wrote: »
    It's a Kilkenny forum so you should expect we'd be biased. Even if we did get away with 4 or 5 blatant fouls that would make the free count 17 to 11. I was at the match and didn't see Kilkenny players that more indisciplined than Wexford. Plus the amount of yellow cards dished out to KK was ridiculous. I met quite a few reasonable supporters after the match and all felt the ref was dreadful. It's an opinion expressed on the pitch directly after the match without any influence from forums. I think it's reasonable to discuss the ref.
    yes as the very 1st sentence of my previous post said were all guilty of a bias view regarding referees it's human nature, did I ever say it wasn't reasonable to discuss referees? I don't think we got many soft frees in the last 10 mins when ye cynically fouled on a good few occasions,i wouldn't criticise ye for that, part of the game weather we like it or not more so an observation. If we were the team with the 3 or 4 point lead we would have done the same I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

Was at another game so only watched it late .had read some of the comments here about ref and was expecting him to have a wexford Jersey on.jesus some of ye would want to get the eyes checked. We were fouling a lot it was lazy stuff.swipe across lads coming out and pulling at the arm.i guarantee if ye look at it again .most will spot the fouls second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Was at another game so only watched it late .had read some of the comments here about ref and was expecting him to have a wexford Jersey on.jesus some of ye would want to get the eyes checked. We were fouling a lot it was lazy stuff.swipe across lads coming out and pulling at the arm.i guarantee if ye look at it again .most will spot the fouls second time round.

I haven't watched this match yet so I won't comment on this particular game except to say that the free count does sound suspicious unless we were completely filthy.

But more generally I think KK fans do a disproportionate amount of complaining about referees, particularly during a match. I don't remember the last time we DIDN'T boo a referee during a senior match. I think everyone sees infractions by opposition more than by their own team, and in the heat of things I grouch about refereeing decisions as much as anyone, but very often looking at it later on the Sunday game I realise I was completely wrong.

When the reffing is really atrocious though, it's hard to just say fans should shut up about it. There have been a few matches over the last number of years where no reasonable person could say we got a fair crack of the whip. And it is often the same couple of refs, I don't think I need to name names there.

I don't have any real issue with the referee for the first 40 minutes or so, the odd hometown decision maybe. After that it was all one way in that he stopped giving us frees completely even for similar offences. We got softish yellow cards but didn't even get a free for a dangerous head high tackle. No big complaint about the frees to Wexford. Not sure where the additional 6 1/2 minutes came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Don't know where this idea that Kilkenmy supporters think TJ Reid can't be tackled comes from, in both the Wexford game in Wexford park and the Dublin game in Nowlan park referenced above, Kilkenny complaints were about what was happening off the ball rather than on it i.e. O'Hanlon and Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

Kilkenny much slicker once they got into their groove. Mullen is a fair loss and should see Kilkenny hard beat in the semi if he comes back.

Puckouts for Wexford were shocking bad. Hit and hope stuff.
    Lucky goal for Kilkenny won it but thems the breaks.

Have never seen a more lax performance by a Wexford team in a final though.
    It was there for the taking/stealing if they wanted it but just didn't look like they wanted it enough at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Look everyone has blinkers on when it comes to referees I'm as guilty of it as the next man but ye seriously take the biscuit,ye got away with 3 or 4 blatant fouls aswel tonight.I'm not just judging on what has been posted here in the last few hours I'm judging on many a visit to nowlan park the last few years. Some of your supporters seem to have this belief that your simply not allowed to tackle TJ Reid. This isn't a isolated view either, I was up at ourselves and Dublin in Parnell park back in may talking to a few dubs on the terrace who had a similar experience in nowlan park the previous week.

On to the far more important business of tonights game ye were undoubtedly the slicker team and deserved the win but I'd be very proud of our lads efforts considering we were 3/1 outsiders and fairly so. Our backs were really solid and showed loads of character but we lacked a bit of quality upfront. Just out of curiosity would blanchfield have been considered 1 of the main 4 or 5 players on your team he was head and shoulders above anyone tonight. Is a younger brother of liam blanchfield?same question about Stephen donnelly and Sean Ryan, are they brothers of John donnelly and Billy Ryan?shefflin did damage but weirdly Jack reck who was marking him I taught played really well too. Taught eoin cody and eoin molloy had a right battle. 6,612 was the attendance if anyone is wondering.Congratulations on beating cork in the Senior i was actually delighted given all the recent Munster leinster debates.

Briefly back to the topic of referees Sean cleere has got us and tipp and Alan Kelly from galway got ye and Limerick

Stephen Donnelly ia a first cousin of John. Not sure about Blanchfield or Ryan.

I saw adrian Mullen strolling about at the match, no limp or anything, so I reckon it's nothing serious.

I also thought the ref lost the plot a bit in the second half, he (rightly) didn't like any dissent and the free count reflected that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Mullen was pulled out by Cody. (very good source told me)

Ref - very very poor. Enough said, otherwise the 'outsiders' on here will be saying we are always moaning about the ref.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

David Blanchfield is a brother of Liam, Sean Ryan is a brother of Billy

Don't know where this idea that Kilkenmy supporters think TJ Reid can't be tackled comes from, in both the Wexford game in Wexford park and the Dublin game in Nowlan park referenced above, Kilkenny complaints were about what was happening off the ball rather than on it i.e. O'Hanlon and Barrett.
    Paddy Deegan handy enough for the off the ball shenanigans too, although I'm sure the lads here would call his actions 'no-nonsense' defending

Had he not got a grade one tare mullins.

God bless the days when dj brian whelan were marking one another vintage stuff it was worth the addmission charge. A lot of fouls didnt go for us last night i think the most glaring one was the time c heary was fouled straight in front of the ref a line ball was given to wexford

Paddy Deegan handy enough for the off the ball shenanigans too, although I'm sure the lads here would call his actions 'no-nonsense' defending
    No. I think Paddy Deegan is stupid. I would not have him anywhere near the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Anyone who read dan shanahans book knows davy likes to upset players off the ball.in wexford park and nowlan park last year o hanlon was constantly at tj off the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Had he not got a grade one tare mullins.

Recorded the game as I was at it and watched it back this morning. Thought DJ's pre match interview was telling " we are told he has a grade 1 tear in his quad". I think what DJ meant was "we are told TO SAY....."!

Maybe that's the old cynic in me but I would expect him to play Saturday week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Every county moans about the ref post game. The idea that you can't say a word about the referee when you win a game is puerile nonsense. The referee is fair game for analysis win, lose or draw. On last night we were guilty of a lot of frees but that doesn't absolve the referee from criticism where he got it wrong. In my view he got the decision for that last 21 yard free wrong. It's a single decision but coming at that time in that location it could have had a major bearing on the outcome of the game. Kilkenny won, so we should ignore that decision? No way.
    I don't believe in refereeing conspiracies. I believe referees get it wrong like the rest of us. But I do believe in the right to be able to critique a refereeing performance win, lose or draw and not be told to stfu and just enjoy the win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement