Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

brookville wrote: »
    Wexford are on a high at the min and going for the grand slam over kk.There will be a large vocal home support but hopefully we can express ourselves.Maybe a few wexford posters might tell us have they many stars on the team although they have done very well at this grade since chin and co were u21 giving us a few heavy beatings along the way so hopefully we can turn it around tomor evening and play to our best.
    wouldn't be a strong wexford side on paper, eoin molloy in defence is the only 1 off the senior panel so ye are rightly favourites. Weather forecast isn't great which might effect the crowd, nice evening would have attracted 7 or 8 thousand I reckon. 1970 only time wexford done minor, u21/20 and senior grand slam so big carrot for us in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

The clubs have to have there count of what tickets they need by wed pm to nowlan park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

wouldn't be a strong wexford side on paper, eoin molloy in defence is the only 1 off the senior panel so ye are rightly favourites. Weather forecast isn't great which might effect the crowd, nice evening would have attracted 7 or 8 thousand I reckon. 1970 only time wexford done minor, u21/20 and senior grand slam so big carrot for us in fairness

would echo that. I dont expect them to win tonight unfortunately. Its not that strong a team and there are no dual players of which I think they would have added greatly to the hurling panel. Ross Banville is a very good player and an excellent free taker, despite his unusual routine. Hopefully the weather breaks for the evening, been great the last while, typical that we miss out then for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

So the winner this evening gets to play the losing Munster finalist and the loser plays the Munster champions. Still would be nice to beat Wexford, they have beaten us too often recently. Good to see Sean Ryan starting too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

blackcard wrote: »
    So the winner this evening gets to play the losing Munster finalist and the loser plays the Munster champions. Still would be nice to beat Wexford, they have beaten us too often recently. Good to see Sean Ryan starting too

We can never beat ye enough! you couldnt come close to know what it is like to years and years of beatings off one team! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

bruschi wrote: »
    would echo that. I dont expect them to win tonight unfortunately. Its not that strong a team and there are no dual players of which I think they would have added greatly to the hurling panel. Ross Banville is a very good player and an excellent free taker, despite his unusual routine. Hopefully the weather breaks for the evening, been great the last while, typical that we miss out then for a game.
    jack cullen from gorey is a big loss not sure exactly why he's not involved, Michael Codd from the st martins too and couple of decent hurlers focused on u20 football

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭me89

No Adrian Mullen tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

me89 wrote: »
    No Adrian Mullen tonight

Grade 1 tear - bad news all around!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No Adrian Mullen tonight

Grade 1 tear - bad news all around!
    ****e, tear of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

****e, tear of what?

Not sure, just in and D.J. was on TG4 speaking a few minutes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

Not sure, just in and D.J. was on TG4 speaking a few minutes ago.

DJ said it was the quad. Awful news.

Hamstring. Should be okay, slight tear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Obviously being rested for Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

No Adrian Mullen tonight

I’d say he’s being rested for the match vs Limerick. The U20s are through to the semi win or lose

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Anything official on this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Anything official on this yet?

They said slight hamstring but infairness to cody he has being very good to give mullen to dj even the laois match alot of other managers would of held him back.Happy enough at half time with the breeze to come hopefully try get our fowards into it

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Moosey15

Last two points for Wexford ,there should have been frees given to KK

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

Any scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Wexford 0-12 kilkenny 1-12

Finally a free off this ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Both teams not playing great

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

But blanchfield with a superb run and point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Comerman

blackcard wrote: »
    Finally a free off this ref.
    Referee is brutal, four soft yellows to KK and nothing for the clothesline tackle on James Brennan

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭mullinr2

We won despite the best effort from the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭laneykin

mullinr2 wrote: »
    We won despite the best effort from the ref

Definite few frees for Wexford in the second half that were for nothing. We got a few very light yellow cards too.

Mullen was a big loss in the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

7 maybe 8 minutes of extra time. Where did it come from. Well done to Kilkenny as hard an earned 2 point victory despite the referees best efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Topcat32

When you lose your best player at that age it can get into the players heads, backs were excellent this evening both defensively and offensively, forwards lost their shape against a really determined Wexfod performance in the second half, you put a senior player in a forward line at that age and he may not do much himself but the other teams backs are concentrating on him so much it opens up space for other players

Have to say given how both sets of players would be rated, that was a very good performance by Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I didn't get to see much of the match unfortunately.

Well done to the players, management and backroom staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Not convincing but a win is a win and nothing to be snuffed at.Mullen obviously a huge loss but the longer it went on tonight the harder it got.I was happy enough in the first half but we really lost our shape and both teams guilty of poor shooting and we were really hanging on at the end.Dffficult conditions and a difficult place so we'll take it and hopefully move on.Well done to all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

By a distance the worst refereeing display against Kilkenny I’ve ever seen at any level (including numerous Barry Kelly performances). Some of the frees blown against Kilkenny were mind boggling. The Wexford players were even surprised they were getting a free a lot of the time. Blatantly obvious frees for Kilkenny not given.

Ridiculous yellow cards too. He was obviously hoping to catch one of our lads on a double yellow.

Wexford had the ball brought forward several times because of Kilkenny dissent when a free was given but they could do and say what they wanted after a rare free was given to Kilkenny and the ball was never brought forward.

Despite his best efforts we managed to win. Great result considering we were playing in Wexford Park, Wexford hurling is on a major high and we were missing Mullen.

We should have won by a lot more than 2 points. A major lack of composure from a lot of our players on many occasions. Sloppy passes, dropped balls and some poor decisions from Mason on goal. A lot of improvement required if we are to beat Cork or Tipperary.

Great to have 3 All-Ireland semi finals to look forward to. If we play to our potential in all of them we will have 3 All-Ireland finals to look forward to soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement