Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

the crying by the no brigade has been something else.

Of course had they won the same people who they are now trying to belittle would have been called the voice of the country,
    But because the vote did not go their way, they are trying to make out the yes voters are stupid, or only voted yes because they are sheep or other such nonsense.

Thankfully that old brainwashed mindset of the No brigade is a dying thing.
    Suck it up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

At 12 weeks it has arms and legsl and a heartbeat. Remember what a 12 week scan is like?

Yes, as I have a newborn. The fact is that at 12 weeks gestation he wasn't a baby. 12 weeks after he is born, he is a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

greenpilot wrote: »
    Our Old Boys club actually surprised me with their progressive vote, probably down to the amount of young men who have recently joined.

They never called me back after the open evening. Gits... :D

_

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

storker wrote: »
    PressRun wrote: »
    The Irish media would want to take a look at themselves after this as well. Their misguided attempts to provide "balance" all the time and giving platforms to religious fundamentalists has completely misrepresented the views of the electorate and led to a situation where people are actually shocked by this result. Hardly anyone agrees with the views of the Iona Institute, so why are we being led to believe that they legitimately represent a significant section of Irish society? Present the views of the people as they are and stop pandering to extremists.

I get what you're saying, but the problem is that you don't know what the balance actually is until the vote has been cast. There are opinion polls, of course, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with the idea of allocating media access/airtime based on their results. In any case, this referendum seems to have shown that it's the argument that wins it, not the airtime.

(And looking at it from another angle, I wouldn't be surprised the the No side would have polled better if they'd had less airtime, particularly Maria 50%-isn't-enough-I-want-it-all Steen. :))

_

No side wasn't going to win no matter what because the Republic of Ireland is more liberal than conservative. That's pretty much it. It doesn't have a big solid base of conservatives whatsoever. Not one conservative Irish party.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Couple of things:

The Orange order advocated a No. Vote and it was mentioned on another Forum that the Freemasons in Ireland did the same. This is incorrect, in fact the majority of lodges in Ireland went with a Yes vote. Folks confuse the Orange order with Freemasonry but we have absolutely nothing to do with them. They just borrowed some regalia and symbols from us. Our Old Boys club actually surprised me with their progressive vote, probably down to the amount of young men who have recently joined.

Secondly, I see that Declan Ganley has threatened to " Track Down" the creators of the Love Both Drogheda parody account using his "considerable resources.". I think, Mr. Ganley you will find that the Freemasons have you trumped in the Considerable Resourses department! The age old battle between the Church (Opus Dei) and the Masonic orders, eh. Anyway, on behalf of the Masonic community I am pleasantly surprised with the result
    Congratulations to all!

So all the NO voters share the values of the church and the Iona and the UUP and all YES voters share the idiotic values of the Freemasons?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Carlow/Kilkenny
    YES - 44,211 (63.5%)
    NO - 25,418 (36.5%)
    Spoil 231

4 of their 5 TDs were OPPOSED to repeal apparently. Yeep! :o

--

Wicklow (didn't get the specific numbers)
    74.3% YES
    25.7% NO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Billy86 wrote: »
    Carlow/Kilkenny
    YES - 44,211 (63.5%)
    NO - 25,418 (36.5%)
    Spoil 231

Wicklow (didn't get the specific numbers)
    74.3% YES
    25.7% NO

Honda cats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Billy86 wrote: »
    Mattie McGrath on RTE now trying to turn this into an unrelated "we need more men in government rant" but at least from what I heard not going to the depths of Mullen by trying to reject democracy.

Jaysus, what did Mullen say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Couple of things:

The Orange order advocated a No. Vote and it was mentioned on another Forum that the Freemasons in Ireland did the same. This is incorrect, in fact the majority of lodges in Ireland went with a Yes vote. Folks confuse the Orange order with Freemasonry but we have absolutely nothing to do with them. They just borrowed some regalia and symbols from us. Our Old Boys club actually surprised me with their progressive vote, probably down to the amount of young men who have recently joined.

Secondly, I see that Declan Ganley has threatened to " Track Down" the creators of the Love Both Drogheda parody account using his "considerable resources.". I think, Mr. Ganley you will find that the Freemasons have you trumped in the Considerable Resourses department! The age old battle between the Church (Opus Dei) and the Masonic orders, eh. Anyway, on behalf of the Masonic community I am pleasantly surprised with the result
    Congratulations to all!
    I thought the freemasons were not allowed to discuss politics? The conspiracies are true?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

So all the NO voters share the values of the church and the Iona and the UUP and all YES voters share the idiotic values of the Freemasons?

What idiotic values ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A lot of people which tick Catholic on the census must have voted yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Couple of things:

Congratulations to all!

Must be why I know lots of Masons in the Order. Personally!

gctest50 wrote: »
    What idiotic values ?

Right whatever your having yourself. Just look at the Freemason mega thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Dookie Monster

Should be excommunicated. In fact if you have an abortion or help procure one, you are already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

I voted in plenty of referendums before. All worthy issues but I simply focussed on the issue, made a decision & voted.

But because of the way this 35 year horror show developed over the decades - this vote felt like wielding REAL sovereign power.

Power greater than the President, greater than the Taoiseach, greater than the Dail, greater than the chief justice of the Supreme Court, greater than the Supreme Court itself;
    Even greater than the accumulated power wielded by wealthy business tycoons.

That is quite something.

I’m reasonably confident also that this means the end of US Bible belt dollars flowing into the country.

As someone else said, this is the end of a truly shameful chapter in our history.

What a relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

I helped my aunt fill out the Census because she has trouble reading. She ticked the Catholic box and I said 'are you sure?' knowing she, at the very least, is non-practicing. She said 'well I believe something'. She voted yes.

So, I think that yes, there's plenty of Catholics who voted yes, but also plenty of people who ticked that box for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Should be excommunicated. In fact if you have an abortion or help procure one, you are already

Please, please excommunicate me. Seeing as the route to having myself removed from the Church has been blocked...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Well, Michael Harding is a religious person and made a plea for Yes on TV3 the other night. He evoked “let he who is without sin...”. It was pretty powerful stuff and eye-opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You're a laugh a minute!

So, if I had ticked 'catholic' and voted Yes yesterday, would the RCC cross-reference that private data with the private vote I had? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I presume the loveboth and save the 8th people will now be using their resources to campaign for better sex education, free contraception, a change in our adoption policies and adoption system, better supports for parents who go ahead with an unplanned pregnancy, better access to supports for victims of rape, incest, domestic abuse, longer sentences for rapists and paedophiles... I'm sure there was other stuff they suggested could take the place of abortion but that was generally the gist of it.

• Advertisement

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Jaysus, what did Mullen say?
    Basically that while the people have spoken (which he acknowledges) that will be fighting any legislation that has to do with abortion, thus completely rejecting the referendum.

I am ready for a lot of "we have already decided that we are going to say no to whatever you propose and do all we can to slow it down for as long as possible" carry on from the likes of him. If they start having peculiarly large legal teams and resources with which to do this and meddle in our actual national legislation, it's long past time for the government to demand these show the full extent of their funding and where it comes from.

---

Waterford 64.3% YES / 35.7% NO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Trasna1 wrote: »
    I thought the freemasons were not allowed to discuss politics? The conspiracies are true?!

Correct. But not in open lodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Huge historic day. A seismic result, a country moving forward. Women fighting for their rights and winning. No division between rural and urban, a land united. We listened to the experts and to women.

I've a big aul penis on me there and I voted Yes. So did plenty of my less endowed friends. We all fought for it, for our sisters, daughters, mothers etc. and I'm glad of that fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

The problem is the catholic church, the biggest kiddie fiddling ring ever is just a church.
    You do not need the church to believe in god. Plenty members in my family believe in God but dont believe in the church.

I personally do not believe in the invisible man, but you do not need to to have compassion, decency, etc and for people to claim others have some divine right over others based on how they voted shows they have very little understanding themselves.

The days of the church brainwashing people are over, especially for the young.
    Get over it and learn to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Well, Michael Harding is a religious person and made a plea for Yes on TV3 the other night. He evoked “let he who is without sin...”. It was pretty powerful stuff and eye-opening.

Saw that, thought it was very powerful too.

That man talks a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Irelands landslide exit poll results in favour of repeal are top news story in many of the world major news channels
    Great day for ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Disgusting comment. What about the unborn baby? What about the father?

If the father doesn’t want his baby aborted then he shouldn’t be getting women pregnant.

Right whatever your having yourself. Just look at the Freemason mega thread

Apologise may have gotten Freemason and Freeman as the same which they aint

amcalester wrote: »
    If the father doesn’t want his baby aborted then he shouldn’t be getting women pregnant.
    I see what you did there, well played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well they don’t excommunicate child rapists, in fact they just moved them where they can find more victims so I suspect people are safe enough with their own conscience.

Advertisement