Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Rookie - US-Pace- ABC (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,055 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't even know if it is an education piece - I just don't think a cop show can ignore social issues, police brutality and racial issues in the aftermath of the George Floyd murder.

I didn't particularly like Rookie last season, and I thought a lot of their messaging was overly heavy handed. I hope they pull back a bit from that this season. But I would say it is more so about trying to not glorify poor police processes - in the vast majority of cases of Police shows the police work you see is illegal. Cops going off on their gut, ends justify the means type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wow I didn't expect that cast exit and especially like that.

Absolutely cracking opening episode to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Unceremonious, wasn't it? Yikes.

Great episode, glad this show is back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wow, shot in the back so they didn't have to have the actor back even for a minute, surprised it happened so soon in the episode, decent episode and a good way to setup the season, can't see them going beyond this season though, they've gone through most storylines at this stage.

I read that he wanted out at the end of Season 2.

He only did Season 3 because of the racist cop story with Brandon Routh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

In the TVLine article they mention that the actor has been absent from social media since mid June and is not doing any exit interviews. It was kinda obvious he was gone due to him not appearing in any promotional material for this season

The Rookie showrunner Alexi Hawley shared he had no option but to kill off Jackson as Makin Jr. decided not to return.

Hawley said: "It's heartbreaking...but I didn't really have a choice. [Titus Makin Jr.] wasn't coming back, and because of the way we set things up with the [Season 3] finale, there was just no way to tell that story without Jackson.

"But we lean really hard into honoring how he was the heart of the show, and it was definitely impactful for us to have to deal with that."

He has not been active on social media since mid-June and he does not plan to do exit interviews, reported TV Line.

Makin Jr. has a successful music career under the name of Butterfly Ali, so he may have left the series to focus on other endeavors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

As good as a season opening episode that it was I thought it was a bit rushed. Leaving aside the Jackson thing getting shot, there was no funeral. No pomp and circumstance just '3 months later'.

The whole story of 3 beat cops going to South America to rescue a hostage was a bit of a stretch, but they could have pushed into a 2 parter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Lots of exposition from characters with some Walker Texas Ranger quality dialogue. Lawyer fella "yes I understand I will turn dirty and do all sorts of shady stuff like we discussed in a previous episode" a prime example.

Also very rushed. He's dead, next. You're no longer a rookie, next. Getting to Mexico will be a problem, yeah for at least a minute and a half, Bradford and Chan have a moment, next. Impenetrable, fortunately have a former builder, not impenetrable, but oh no, a gate has defeated us, hey ho, next. Found Jackson's killer in under 2 minutes, next Etc. Definitely needed 2 parter, and better writing.

Appreciate subtlety has never been The Rookie strong point but this was quite the episode!

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So it's ok for police officers to go overseas, carry out a millitary operation to extract their friends and kill a foreign citizen while destroying government property........

• Advertisement

And this week, the beat cop team take down a criminal mastermind that has avoided capture by some of the best police forces in the world!

Nolan slaps the cuffs on and then she goes 'OW' but nothing about being shot in the shoulder!?

The new 'Jackson' has arrived.

I do not see this making it to a Season 5 the way the writing is this season. Much like episode 1, its all rushed!

Why are beat cops investigating anything? Thats not their job! As previously stated, some PC plods take down an international thief that the best police forces in the world couldn't do? Its all a bit unbelievable and I love the show.

Well that was 50 minutes of my life I'll never get back, so the master thief who broke into the Vatican has to steal a laptop to get a route for jewellery and to do this she has to murder the designer and leave her body to be found, even though she had a "mater hacker" she had to take the actual laptop, not clone it or get the files off it. And for someone who's backups has backups surely having the police turn up would have meant a better backup than a shotgun?

The new Jackson is just that, the new Jackson, I've no problem with the "people like us" stuff because it's an important part of police work I'm sure but the whole "don't just me by my background, judge me by me" was done with Jackson where he was supposed to be the wonder cop cause of his father in IA but he wanted to prove himself and go his own way.

For me the Rookie is a show to watch when I'm doing other stuff like cooking the dinner and if I miss a few episodes I probably won't bother catching up with the 1s I missed and just go straight to the latest 1.

The Rookie EP Bans 'Live' Weapons From Set in Wake of Halyna Hutchins Tragedy: 'Any Risk Is Too Much Risk'

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

It is completely ott.

It went completely woke last season.

It has gone downhill alot

The Rookie Casts Peyton List as Tim's Sister, James Remar as Their Father

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

His step brother was hilarious.

Great episode this week. Loved the end of watch scene.

Yeah regarding the ending

I'm guessing the fire chief is not the arsonist but was framed by the neighbour.

• Advertisement

A that was a fun episode.

On a side note Jackson had is first gig on another show last week turning up in Hawaii as a guest star on NCIS Hawaii.

Delighted for the old guy, what a way to go out.

Ah sure just a little trip from Santa Clarita to Burbank for Peter Onorati following his role as Mumford in SWAT.

Also Tim was the real real winner of the treasure hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Catching up on a few episodes, nice to see a couple of Bones regulars, if only briefly, in a decent Halloween episode. Not particularly convinced by Nolan's firefighter girlfriend, a bit meh. Gang leader with lawyer storylines is a bit crap, but saying all that the series so far is turning out better than I feared after the awful first episode.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

That was a great episode

Yeah that whole warehouse sequence was amazing.

Really good episode, I just kind of wish the drew it out a bit longer maybe for another couple of episodes as I think they could have done more with it.

However I guess they will be going with the ending as there long term story.

• Advertisement

That episode really wrecked my head, looks to me that it was affected by COVID restrictions so they limited to 2 or 3 people max together, but it was clear that it wasn't the actual actor who's shoulder you were supposed to be looking over, the use of body cams and CCTV made it worse.

Advertisement