Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epsom Derby 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Won't be long now til AOB ties the record for Derby winners, and breaks the 100+ year losing streak for draw 1 (a stat that IMO, sounds far more significant than it actually is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Havent seen any flat but some bookie saying Saxon Warrior is better than Nijinksy sounds ****ing mental

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Cracking race.AOB’s at sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Feck, laid Saxon Warrior to be n the first four and he finished fourth,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Kauto wrote: »
    Masar has no chance. Should be 50/1. Was keen in Newmarket last time and as with the majority of the boys in blue horses they go backwards after a start or two. Be amazed if this beats more than 1 or 2 home.

Ahem....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ryan Moore special.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Masar won that well, Well done whoever shouted him earlier I abandoned him after the guineas

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Should of left Donnacha on

Doesn't matter who was on him he was out in plenty of time just not good enough

tryfix wrote: »
    Ahem....:D

Have him on ignore for a reason :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I popped into the bookies on the way home today and had a saver on Masar @ 18/1. I can't believe his price, maybe he's not working well at home?

He stuck to his guns well in third in the Guineas, he's bred to stay which might explain why he struggled in the Guineas and he has the golden number 10 draw which means that he can get a good early position which is a huge advantage this week at Epsom. Wild Illusion showed that the stable is in reasonable form.

great shout
    Kauto wrote: »
    Masar has no chance. Should be 50/1. Was keen in Newmarket last time and as with the majority of the boys in blue horses they go backwards after a start or two. Be amazed if this beats more than 1 or 2 home.

:p

edit, beaten too it lol

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Auroras_encore

Excuse after excuse for the most overrated jockey ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

In fairness tryfix you called it. I'll have to watch it again. I'm not sure he would have beat the winner.

I hope they drop him back to a mile. Or 10. Irish champion would be ideal I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Well you have to at least give him the best possible chance. Must have checked up 4 times. Poor ride by Moore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Happy4all wrote: »
    Well you have to at least give him the best possible chance. Must have checked up 4 times. Poor ride by Moore

Wasn’t Getting near masar, but it was a typical Moore ride

Waiting for the Saxon Warrior excuse from AOB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Saxon was getting nowhere near Masar. He had all the time in the world and made up no ground look fairly one paced to me.

I'm not making excuses for any jockey I agree with you he is over rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Don't know what people wanted Moore to do. Drawn in a position that ensured he'd have to run on the rail

kiers47 wrote: »
    In fairness tryfix you called it. I'll have to watch it again. I'm not sure he would have beat the winner.

I hope they drop him back to a mile. Or 10. Irish champion would be ideal I think.

In fairness I was on Saxon Warrior before he ran in the Guineas and Masar was just a saver. 18/1 for a horse whose only crime was finishing a staying on third in the Guineas was a gift in hindsight.

I'll have to have a think about Saxon Warrior, not sure what his trip is. He travelled beautifully but didn't find much. Diomed was on the ball about Deep Impacts and 12f in Europe, the Galileo side of his pedigree meant he didn't throw the towel in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

When Saxon Warrior got clear ground he went nowhere.
    If he was going to contend he would have been in the first half of the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

I popped into the bookies on the way home today and had a saver on Masar @ 18/1. I can't believe his price, maybe he's not working well at home?

He stuck to his guns well in third in the Guineas, he's bred to stay which might explain why he struggled in the Guineas and he has the golden number 10 draw which means that he can get a good early position which is a huge advantage this week at Epsom. Wild Illusion showed that the stable is in reasonable form.

well done man. you might never see a Godolphin horse with Buick on it at those prices as long as we live!

i don't think even if he hadn't had a phalanx of horses combine to block him Saxon Warrior would have won but not only was I wrong about him winning I was wrong about draw 1, it really is cursed!

funny how the winner was right beside the fav, Buick pulled him out and the genius Moore stayed where he was which destroyed any chance he had. delighted for Buick a jockey i often back but not here unfortunately.

when did Roaring Lion go into 6/1 as they just showed? that's a massive move from 10s just 30 mins before.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

Simply not good enough and did not stay.There have been rumblings about Moore for some time and that ride there wont help whether good enough or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I'm having another look at Masar. Seems to be a bit forgotten now since the Guineas, but he beat Roaring Lion that day and that horse is now second favourite. His sire is New Approach (Derby winner in 2008) and the Dams sire is Cape Cross (Sea the Stars sire) so it suggests he'll get the trip. I think 16s is a right good bet, before final decs tomorrow.

Up ya boya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

FatRat wrote: »
    I'm on The Young Rascal e/w. Also on Knight to Behold myself and I'm very happy with the 25 I got for him, even though this might drift further. I think generally anyone who fancies a horse that isn't the favourite is getting a very good price because of the skewed market. Im honestly baffled how Saxon can be 4/5 or less for this race. Best horse by the looks of things but in this type of race, over this distance - that is some reckless punting taking him at those odds.

People will laugh at this but I would only consider a bet if he was around 5/2 or higher. Would not be the most shocking result to me if he doesn't even place.

oh good lord. you want the horse that's head ans shoulders above the rest of the field to be 5/2 or better for you to back him, but since the mean Mr. Bookmaker won't give you that and you're too scared to back odds on, then you start telling yourself you wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't place, that about sum it up?

you're talking about reckless punting when you're throwing money on away on horses that have chances named slim and none as regards win purposes.

the market is giving generous prices on the other horses but it is far from skewed. it's to get all the mugs who only bet fivers on big price horses twice a year to take the also-rans which will even things out as anyone with a clue is on the fav now that the ground is drying. the trip was never going to be an issue.

Surely that's enough of the condescending you've been doing to anyone who bashed Saxon's legitimacy as a bet? Essentially calling me a mug and basically telling me I dont have a clue and then you out there lumping on a 4/5 who has never ran the distance.

For the record I don't like doing this "I told you so" sh*te - and would never usually do it - but your post was particularly ignorant.

Saxon was getting nowhere near Masar. He had all the time in the world and made up no ground look fairly one paced to me.

I'm not making excuses for any jockey I agree with you he is over rated.

In Saxon Warrior's two year old races he dominated from near the front and fought back against Roaring Lion, maybe he would have stayed fine from the front and fought to the line, also if he'd been up front he could have held the rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Slattsy wrote: »
    Ryan Moore special.
    Happy4all wrote: »

You can't be serious, lads? A Magic carpet wouldn't have helped Saxon Warrior today. Moore is a jockey, not a magician.

Eddystone Rock has placed in this last year. Recent form not great but wouldn’t be surprised if today is the target

In fairness I was on Saxon Warrior before he ran in the Guineas and Masar was just a saver. 18/1 for a horse whose only crime was finishing a staying on third in the Guineas was a gift in hindsight.

I'll have to have a think about Saxon Warrior, not sure what his trip is. He travelled beautifully but didn't find much. Diomed was on the ball about Deep Impacts and 12f in Europe, the Galileo side of his pedigree meant he didn't throw the towel in.

Ya fair play I was more reffering to your Ryan Moore comments. I disagreed with you about US Army Ranger but that was not one of his finer moments. Granted he was a bit of a victim of circumstance.

Ah ya I did outline my concerns as well for him staying was more from a physique point and not breeding. I haven't seen him in the flesh this year but last year he looked every inch a miler.
    I'm not sure he particularly enjoyed the track but I'd have to watch it back to make any conclusive view on that. Its a very subjective viewpoint too.

• Advertisement

Just watched it back. SDS at the top of the straight. Jesus he has to get a ban for that. It was borderline dangerous stuff.

I'd be a bit more lenient on Moore after seeing that tbh.

Advertisement