Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

re: We own RTE, it's only reason for existing is to serve the public interest.

This is a misconception. RTE is a government sponsored enterprise (semi-state), the Irish public has no ownership claim or stake in the enterprise. The TV licence is a tax on the annual use of television sets, it confers no ownership claim on RTE. You have no voting rights on the election of its executive management. Employees of Intel corporation do not work for you they work for Intel and it's shareholders, likewise RTE employees work for their organisation and it's shareholder. Intel has to serve its customers, manage its resources, remain competitive and develop new products if it is to remain in business.

RTE per Sean Lemass "Radio Telefis Eireann was set up by legislation as an instrument of public policy and as such is responsible to the Government." If you are unhappy with RTE you must take it up with the government.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's not a misconception.

RTE is 100% state owned, it has no other shareholder other than the Government who hold it in trust for the citizens.

Of course a TV Licence doesn't confer voting rights any more than Motor Tax gives you a direct say in which roads will be upgraded.

Intel is a multi national corporation which is in no way relevant to the discussion on RTE.

Sean Lemass passed away in 1971. Things have changed over 50 years, for instance the BAI was set up in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭garrettod

The BAI is another joke! 🙄😔

Thanks,

G.

Quickly getting back to matters at hand - Pa ElGrande is right, everyone needs to take up the matter of RTE with the Government. It's only when politicans are put under pressure by the people that elect them (and more importantly, can also make them redundant), will we see any change for better!

Dee Forbes and her gang have been cupping away at the Government for quite a while now. If the Government doesn't come under more serve pressure from the outbox, then they'll just give Dee and RTE what they want, to get them off their backs.

Don't leave it to someone else - everyone needs to put their local politicans under pressure

Thanks,

G.

Nothing in any of my posts on this discussion has said people shouldn't contact their politicians.

However ensuring the future of public broadcasting will require a more structured approach.

• Advertisement

Stop being an Apologist for Scoundrels.

I'm not an apologist for scoundrels.

I believe in Public Service Broadcasting.

Attack the post not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Happened to hear a 2FM quiz this afternoon while on the road. Seemingly just a general knowledge quiz...

2 of the questions for the first contestant were about Dancing With the Stars - 1 of which was "who was the stand-in host recently?". Unsurprisingly the answer was Lottie Ryan. The contestant didn't know that which is perhaps no surprise given that nobody cares as much about DWTS and/or Lottie as RTE do. Yet RTE continue to shove both down people's throat at every opportunity. Speaking of which...

The second contestant got a question asking about the host for Operation Transformation. Again, the contestant didn't know who Kathryn Thomas was... Good ol' RTE

Re: RTE is 100% state owned, it has no other shareholder other than the Government who hold it in trust for the citizens.

Exactly, the correct communication channel for the public when it comes to public service broadcasting charter is the Irish government. In real terms for voters* this means engaging your local TD or the minister with the portfolio for RTE.

Only TDs and the Minister with communications portfolio are responsible for the charter that RTE operates under and these are the only group that the RTE executive answer to for their performance under the charter (or lack of it). The RTE executive exists to manage service contracts and operational resources under a charter granted by the government.

The BAI (BCI, ITRC before them) are consultants appointed by the government, their function is presumably to provide expert opinion and reports to the minister and to oversee direction from said minister in relation to their brief.

Going by the complaints against RTE the issue revolves around the charter they operate under which seems to lack suitable quality metrics under which they can be measured and held accountable. This is presumably the reason they can claim that X% of their output is as Gaeilge plus other quotas, the fact that only the cat is watching or it is a repeat does not matter they have met their service obligation under the charter. I don't watch or listen to RTE and I have no idea how their performance is measured.

Then if the RTE executive are meeting their obligations under the charter granted to them as defined and measured by the government, How does the voting public even know it is receiving poor service? We might conclude the current state of RTE is a lesser of two evils and its performance is an acceptable trade-off for scarce tax revenue.

* non-voters are ignored unless there is a deal on the table that works to said TDs advantage.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

But you always wish to equate Public Service Broadcasting to the monstrosity that is RTE. You are consistently doing this.

A new organisation. A blank sheet of paper. A mandate to provide balanced public service broadcasting with no agenda or bias...I'd give that a fair hearing and I'd give a fair hearing to funding models including licence fee in proportion to service offered.

No I don't.

This is a quote from my earlier post today -

The "national debate" would include those who wish to see RTE closed down and those who think it is ok as it is and every point of view in between.

I have no problem with an open debate on the future of Public Service Broadcasting.

However unlike a lot of posters here I reject the "sack someone, cut someone's pay, close something down, sell something off" arguments that are appearing here almost daily.

Everything should be on the table in the context of an agreed, planned move forward.

So we are back on track and in broad agreement that the future is in the hands of the Government.

Writing to TD's and complaining about RTE is unlikely to result in the sort of Public Broadcasting Service that we deserve.

As I said earlier if that's what people want to do let them at it.

It's going to take a more considered inclusive process to effect the change that the majority will be happy with.

Possibly but it would mean more public money being invested though we don't know the bill until we decide what sort of PBS we want.

and how do you think that debate would go when you yourself depict those who want reform as simplistic with only a view to "sack someone, cut someone's pay, close something down, sell something off".

National Debate is an opportunity to save RTE's skin through astroturfing with useful...supporters... like you giving them the wedge to get through with a direct funding model which is essentially a tax on everyone so that they can continue to deliver content of poor quality. If they had the ability they'd already be producing quality product as they continue year after year not to live within their budget.

I also believe that Public Service Broadcasting (PSB) has an important part to play - but RTE aren't delving exclusive PSB, in fact it only represents a minute percentage of what they are doing, and I'm not happy letting them continue squandering tens of millions on non core PSB !

Thanks,

G.

You are selectively quoting.

I said -

Everything should be on the table in the context of an agreed, planned move forward.

What I reject is a piecemeal solution.

Would you make the case to reform a neglectful/abusive spouse our would you advise the other half they would be well rid of them. RTE has dirtied its bib too many times to be given yet another time. enabling them is not a sound policy.

They deliver little of quality.

They are unable to live within their means.

They are not independent of interference while driving their own pet agendas.

They need to be purged from Society.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The future of RTE is in the lands of the government and its voters on that we agree. You have a rather narrow definition of public service broadcasting if you are assuming it is defined by the government, the current charter model operated by the government is a relic of the 1930s when broadcast technology was in its nascent form. That model is dying with its listeners and viewers and only commands attention for big events like sports. The world has moved on with new content providers, distribution and access methods.

What is stopping an organisation like the Irish Times competing? The distribution network is mostly in place, and access can be controlled for a subscription. What stops the Irish Times competing head to head with RTE? RTE is possibly a hindrance to development of media content providers in Ireland because its subsidies are distorting the pricing of these services, this is an argument that has been put forward by by its news competitors.

Politicians are embracing different media channels, just for illustration this is a screengrab from my youtube feed a day or two after the incident. That's crass was my initial reaction, but then I thought about it. The incident was a break from 24x7 Covid so got excessive attention as a consequence, it is not unusual to have TDs show up at funerals of the people who vote for them, this is just the 21st century way of reaching the voters. Newspapers are always if it bleeds, it leads, they are chasing advertising clicks this is just a new avenue.

I think there is a lot of support for a publicly owned PSB but as you say times have changed and the future is uncertain.

All the more reason to decide what the country wants a PSB to look like like.

News and current affairs, sport, culture, music and drama are the areas I consider to be at the core. Of course there are others also.

The piece about the IT is interesting and of course they are a Trust rather than a purely commercial company and unlikely to be taken over by outside interests.

I'm not sure they want to get into broadcasting but some sort of synergy between them and a PSB could be fruitful.

• Advertisement

It's a future for public service broadcasting I'm interested in.

I don't see much comparison to an abusive personal relationship.

Maybe your sensibilities aren't offended as easily as the rest of ours.

They get a block grant and trim the operation to fit the amount allocated, if 2FM vanished tomorrow would anyone notice? Same for that Lyric rubbish

Yes, that's a possibility but I would prefer to decide what we want the operation to do first and then provide the funding for that.

Why do you want to do away with ads?

I'm not much of a 2FM person myself but place a high value on Lyric especially when driving.

Maybe, but then sometimes I think I might have had a sensibilities by-pass.

Often useful around here 🙂

From a place where that Lyric drivel wouldn't be considered music,shyte is broadcast on 2 wavelenghs just short of the local radio wavelength so the funeral dirge kicks in while driving out the mountain, nobody North of Navan wants it,

I hate adverts, they are pointless, the pet hate is charity ads, spending hundreds of thousands that would be better used for actual charity

OK.

I get it, you don't like Lyric but I do so let's park that for now.

I really don't mind ads myself especially if they are helping to finance programmes I like.

I'm pretty sure that the ads must work for those who place them or they wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Seeing as Moya is sticking her oar in the water again...

Jan 2015

SPONSORSHIP MONEY WILL “more than cover” the salary RTÉ is paying Ray D’Arcy, the incoming chair of the national broadcaster has said.

Moya Doherty made the comments before the Oireachtas Communications today where she came in for strong questioning from TDs over what RTÉ pays some of its star presenters.

How's all that working out for ya now Moya? He hasn't had a sponsor for large periods (about 3 years) of his time there since you got him in - In 2018 1yr sponsorship was 270k and can now be bought for 210k and still no takers.

Claire Byrne and Brendan O'Connor also struggling for sponsors. So the contractors - Ray, CB, and BOC getting huge fees and no sponsors. I think the three of them may have something in common outside of RTE but I just can't put my finger on it :pac:

Perhaps a kitchen de-cluttering company will pay the 350k pa it costs to sponsor Today with CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

The presenter of Droichid Na hEireann on RTÉ 1said that The Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Bridge spans the River Barrow between Waterford and Wexford.The bridge is 16 Kilometres by road from Waterford. Surely someone should have copped that error.

Post edited by jelutong on

Advertisement