Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

try Googling “Kathryn Thomas Jaguar “ she either works for them or else really really really really likes them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭elperello

She did work for Jaguar.

Nevin Maguire has a free car from Volkswagen.

Diarmuid Gavin is a brand ambassador for Rover.

etc. etc.

The question is are these arrangements in breach of any of their contracts?

I'm not sure why car companies bother with celebrity endorsements my self but I guess their advertising departments know what they are doing.

I certainly wouldn't buy a car because a celebrity says it's good.

RTE don't want to sell Network2 because with it they sell a TV station already programmed in to the EPG and linked to the number2 on remote controls. Then they have another competitor competing with them for advertising revenue. Same applies to Radio2. They're greedy. They want their advertisement revenue on top of the licence.

• Advertisement

You mean she is a business.

RTE is supposed to be a not for profit public service broadcaster and the programmes which she presents would be claimed by Management in RTE as programs which fulfill their pubic service manadate.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

I think he is on a disgusting amount of money. If he was paid half of what he’s currently on it would be just about palatable.

do you think he is paid too much?

how can you not care how your license fee is spent?

I don't care because I know exactly how small a fraction of a TV licence goes towards paying RT's salary.

In short I have more to worry about than someone else's pay when I pay so little of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The relevance of the wage in minimal, he's a terrible presenter looking for misery in every interview, RTEs overall fascination with human misery is a cause for concern ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Get google to pay for RTE's content... and ' a deal being discussed with facebook'...

So Dee is literally on a wing and a prayer. Ain't no way in hell she'll get Google to pay her. Google can just say 'we'll get the content from a competitor'.

She's being ridiculous.

• Advertisement

• All part of a broader amount of wastage and poor value for money. They could employ two lesser paid but equally suitable presenters for the price, giving twice the entertainment/information value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Let’s not notice the transfer of the national symphony from RTÉ to national concert hall. Dee is standing behind Martin after the announcement. So a big saving for RTÉ. Saving of €8mil right there.

Transfer of funding elsewhere, more like it. We’re still paying €8m for it, one way or the other. Not that I object too strenuously, to be honest. There’s about 100 musicians in the NSO. It wouldn’t run on much less.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

More piping up about lack of funds again this morning

Fair enough, there probably is an argument that "stars" wages make up a very small percentage of spending/losses but when losses are incurred you need to start looking at the quality of the current output, stop whinging about what you cannot make, start worrying about what you are actually making right now.

I get tired of the LLS bashing to be honest, I don't watch it but theres a cohort who watch it to be annoyed. But saying that, its the flagship of RTE, it should be on point, it should be as close to cutting edge as we get in this country, its a question of taste.

And right now(and for the last 10 years) its totally representative of a station going down the toilet and millions in debt, thats a fact.

RTE would not suffer if you simply had a root and branch revolution. Even for the optics of it, they need to be seen to be culling some of these top earners (who simply would not command their wages elsewhere). The average irish joe soap will listen to the same radio slot, watch the LLS regardless of who the hell is hosting/presenting.

Now the argument will be that losing Tubridy and Duffy etc.... is a brain drain, who will be better on half, even a third of their salary? Well thats down to the executives, they are a problem too. Far too many suits completely out of touch, knowing whats relevant with young/old people. I find the idea that these guys are essential, absolutely absurd. Will the BBC or SKY be trying to poach Tubs or Joe Duffy, will they feck.

And would Tubridy be a success in the private sector working for Newstalk or the like, where he would actually have to perform (i.e the chairs won't keep getting rearranged to give him the best producers/researchers when ratings start to fall when hes being outperformed by a younger upstart). Who knows, it would be interesting to see if his listeners/viewers are watching/listening to him, or is it just a habit (he just happens to beon that station at that time). Pat Kenny found that out when he left RTE, and Kenny is a good broadcaster in terms of political coverage.

Make RTE a launchpad for young Irish talent before they go to BBC/ITV/America or whatever. Let them be creative. And foster a culture, a conveyor belt of talent, where up and comers see RTE as the place to breakout, so theres always someone ready to step in when a star wishes to fly the nest. Don't chase our tail offering them huge money to stay. Its an irish public broadcaster ffs, its not HBO, it simply needs to sustain itself whilst producing irish content, sport, news and current affairs.

I guarantee if the LLS reinvented itself, shorter show, edited, rotating host every week, more people would watch. Be a bit more off the cuff. Something has to give, I am not willing to pay more money, so Blathnaid can maintain her employee status no more than i'm willing to see any licence fee increase go straight into a select fews pocket who command the big salaries either personally or via their company status.

I simply refuse to believe they cannot make cuts in order to be more streamlined and agile of an organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,144 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Is it clear what alternative funding model RTE top brass favour?

reliable and effective funding model.

The 'reliable' bit suggests they are leaning towards direct exchequer funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

I'd say they are more than open to any alternative funding model, once it permits them to continue doing whatever the want, and pay their cronies whatever they want, without challenge!

They've upped their game of late, again pushing for changes to their current "restricted" circumstances, to get more money - so its appropriate that we all do the same.

Don't leave it to someone else, everyone needs to send an email to their local TDs calling for radical change at RTE, before there's any agreement on a new or increased funding structure.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

I see that Moya Doherty has been calling for national debate on the future of RTE - let's go and do that (properly) first then...

Thanks,

G.

If they go for a broadcasting charge the ads have to go, one or the other, fully commercial or public broadcast,

I have been saying that for some time on here and now I find myself in agreement with Moya Doherty.

I didn't see that coming but a good idea is a good idea no matter who has it.

That's exactly what we need to do, decide what we want and then how to pay for it.

I hope they will go for direct funding because it is the most efficient way to do it.

No collection costs, no chasing people and TV free at point of use like radio is today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

If there is one, prepare yourselves for the propaganda. I can see adverts claiming we would be lost without them.

Direct funding would be a disaster, they are already completely inefficient as an organisation already. It needs to go in the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

You have to laugh when Dee complains about the loophole of those 15% who don't have a TV so don't need to pay a licence fee. She thinks they're watching RTÉ on their computers? Like heck, the only thing anyone can view on Rté player is adverts. Endless adverts.

but why keep RTE? Shutting down RTE seems almost unthinkable.

Moya Doherty owes her fortune to an intermission in a big event which RTE funded. She could never be independent.

There are a couple of key points which those in favour of the Status Quo can't circumvent.

Those who don't consume should not be forced to pay.

If paying then the product should not be commercial i.e. no Adverts

Overreach should not be permitted.

If it is public service broadcasting it should be beyond reproach and impartial.

Retaining RTE and funding it satisfies none of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I'd like to hear Moya's thoughts on how this 'thorough national debate' would take place and between which parties. Also, how would she envisage that all the little people around the country get their say? Not the 'Have your say' PR stunt which returned 10k submissions.

Perhaps she might suggest - that at the next referendum/GE, there are a few Q's at he end of the polling card - A bit like the options in the poll at the start of this thread (those %'s are a complete mess since the boards change btw)

Moya would have lots and lots of 'food for thought' for a debate when the results came in.

Public Service Broadcasting Moya. This does not mean RTE can throw any ol sh!te at the public and run it like their own personal fiefdom, which seems to be RTE's interpretation of it.

The link above says -

Moya Doherty is calling for a "thorough national debate" on media and broadcasting, one that is rooted in the public interest.

TBH it's hard to argue with that as a starting point.

We own RTE, it's only reason for existing is to serve the public interest.

The "national debate" would include those who wish to see RTE closed down and those who think it is ok as it is and every point of view in between.

Surely it can't be beyond our capacity to decide what we want and how to pay for it?

As far as I'm concerned myself public broadcasting is a public good and it's right that the public should finance it.

I think that if we gave over the control of tv and radio to purely commercial companies that we would be poorer as a nation.

I believe there is a future for public broadcasting and would like to see our news and current affairs, our music and drama, our sport and culture continue to be reflected in the programming.

you read national debate and I see the time honoured tradition amongst rent seekers of astroturfing

Well one thing for sure we won't sort it out tonight 🙂

However it's not world peace or sending a mission to Mars we are trying to sort out.

I think we will get there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

Don’t know anyone who watches RTE who is not a pensioner , make it subscription and give it to the pensioners for free, if after 2 years there is not enough paying subscribers to finance the running of it sell the lot to the highest bidder.

Let the “talent” fine there value in the free market.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

However it's not world peace or sending a mission to Mars we are trying to sort out.

Which is easier than RTE sorting itself out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Very true, anytime I turn on the late late on a friday night & see that smug, smarmy, entitled face acting like he's gods gift to this country. It encourages me NOT to pay the tv licence, the only thing worse would be if it came from general taxation.

The whole board need to be sacked. Showing years old repeats of Killinascully on xmas day is a slap in the face to the ordinary tax payers of this country. No doubt they were trying to make a point. Rte needs a dose of reality & a good kick up the arse out the f**king door.

PS: Pensioners deserve much better than this rubbish also

Advertisement