Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Dee only has to look at her flagship show tonight, with one of her huge earners.

It is absolute muck, with terrible guests and even finishing earlier than it used to because they can't fill the time any more. Each episode is as bad as the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's terrible tonight - can't even call it an entertainment show

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Tommy Tiernan had Roger Daltrey from 'the Who' on last week, Gabriel Byrne the week before.

Tubridy has... Dancing with the Staff (former) contestants, and someone who was on the show a month ago. (The Toy Show, but I refuse to watch that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭downtheroad

As well as avoiding tax by contracting their services from their companies, a number of RTE 'stars' are availing of tax free income from the Artists Exemption provided by Revenue.

Revenue can make a determination that certain artistic works are original and creative works generally recognised as having cultural or artistic merit. 

Examples of this cultural or artistic merit includes "JFK in Ireland" by Ryan Tubridy, "Children of the Rising" by Joe Duffy, "In America: Tales from Trump Country" and "The Tribe" by Caitriona Perry.

No income tax paid on earnings up to €50,000 on these works is a tax saving of up to €20,000 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A new organisation. A blank sheet of paper. A mandate to provide balanced public service broadcasting with no agenda or bias...

But if you did this you'd surely be bringing back some, probably a lot, of the same people, infrastructure, even programmes (under tweaked formats and different programmes), given how limited a pool Irish broadcasting operates in.

I'm not sure making a big show of 'scrapping RTE and making a fresh start' would be much more than gesture politics...

• Advertisement

As long as the hiring managers are not part of the old boys network the old staff will not be rehired.

Your shiny new public service broadcaster would literally not employ a single ex-RTE person? I find that hard to believe. Plus it would be a massive challenge for the new organisation to build a rapport with the public if it doesn't feature any familiar faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's been a particularly bad & astonishingly dreadful week in output from RTE , I suppose we should allow a little time for presenters to settle back in after their extended Christmas/January break and perhaps they are at a loss on what to do, given the lack of Covid Fillers but mother of God, RTE's programming is dreadful.

Just look at the awful Gik on last night's Late Late, 5 FEMALE nurses herded up onto the stage whilst Tubs essentially takes the PEE, Joe Duffy on a four day Diatribe on matters he's clearly clueless about and then the utterly Bizzare 75 minute tribute to Noel V Ginnity on Friday, even he seemed completely bewildered by it all.

I beginning to think there's a Case for RTE to be actually paying people to watch and listen to the garbage they broadcast.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

As with any open position the candidates should be judged on their abilities. This is not a revolutionary approach to talent acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,522 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just for clarity are you talking about making all the staff of RTE redundant or just presenters?

• Advertisement

I'd allow them interview for their positions. If not now then when would you put people on notice.

Yes but are you talking about everyone in RTE or just some?

What’s the point of even trying to argue a point if you’re just going to talk rubbish?

“adverts are pointless”

yes, definitely, they’re absolutely useless and that’s why companies spend a fortune advertising, just because. And this coming from the authority on what is or isn’t music. 🙄

It wouldn't be RTE. It would be a new organisation. Why is this so hard for you to understand. Do you not remember all the pirate radio stations switching off on New Year's Eve then applying for licences. Some were successful, some were not. There is no need for continuity with RTE.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/pirate-radio-closedown-30-years-ago-ended-buccaneering-chapter-1.3744560

I listened to the local pirate station as they signed off and the air went silent.

Again, I ask you, why is this so hard for you to understand?

Do you literally think that it is feasible to close down our Public Broadcasting Service and have the staff all made redundant?

What happens then, have them all queue around the block to be interviewed by who?

Yes. you aren't cut out for management if you can't make hard decisions.

The public do not "owe" them a living. You seem to think the public should keep them in the standard of living to which they have become accustomed.

Okay I took this to mean if the recruiters for the new broadcaster are competent and properly independent they will not rehire a single ex-RTE person.

But this implies you would accept some former RTE heads if their abilities are of the requisite level. I'm assuming this is your actual position.

You just fired all the management and paid them all big redundancy along with everyone else including the guy who cuts the grass.

There's nobody left to make hard decisions🙂.

Any Hiring Manager who overlooks competent candidates for an open position should be dismissed. Any Hiring Manager who allows preferred candidates should be dismissed.

You are obviously not familiar with labour law if you think making people redundant in Ireland need be expensive.

Are you also suggesting that the Footsoldiers in RTE are exclusively responsible the company's inability to deliver quality programming and that the Managers should be given a free pass and protection.

• Advertisement

The Gardai are better in the last number of years for not having hired internally for the top job.

There's a piece in the SUN today about rte looking for a sponsor to come on/ board & carry the load€€ for ray Darcy radio show.....tyeyre looking for €210K a year.............i doubt there'll be many queing up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

A true miracle took place in D.4 today.

Just a few short hours after the post here regarding Brendan O'Connor's (and others) show not having a sponsor, suddenly there's a two hour show this morning with the RTE lady shouting 'Allcare Pharmacy' every few minutes. She forgot to shout that in yesterdays promo and for the last few months. Allcare were the previous sponsors so there was that handy recording lying about for emergency use.

The RTE page where the show was looking for a sponsor (prices etc) yesterday, today returns a 404 error

God moves in a mysterious way.

A more cynical person than I might think that Allcare Pharm are getting a few freebies or massive discounts just for the optics while they wait for another sucker sponsor to appear - but I couldn't possibly comment on that.

RTE, I'll ask you a question here and I'll try to keep it simple and give you a pointer because you do come across as being quite thick :- You are having problems getting sponsors for 3 shows that have presenters on very high fees and they come from the same agent. Where do you think the problem might lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And yet when he was poached from TodayFM we were told he would pay for himself due to big sponsorship.

Potential sponsors probably read this...

Ray takes over at 3pm for 90 minutes of music, ground-breaking one-to-one interviews, regular advice slots, comedy and entertainment

...and thought what else are they lying about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ground-breaking one to one interviews? Who is taking the piss?

Aren't his 'listenership' numbers always heading South????

Got to admit one of my favourite interviews of all time was Pamela Anderson on Darcys ill-fated Sath night tv show......oh, that was pure comedy gold....you actually felt sorry for the guy

Yup, something like 150k turn off when his program starts (I manage about 2 mins of him) and like 15% drop in listeners since last year but "He's worth it" (not)

Is Dee Forbes sole remit/ job hussling/ drumming up more €€€ to keep the gravy train on/ track?????

Sometimes I picture her coming out of the lift on dragons den......

Ok, so I want MORE money.......fot this investment you get,,,,

A biased media company that's top heavy with grossly overpaid talentless hangers-on.

Nepotism on a grand scale

Radio shows with way too many producers/ presenters.

Antiquated IT systems

A government that's beholden to us......afraid to upset the apple-cart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

This clip did the rounds on twitter... Alan Partridge would be ashamed to pull this kind of crud. But for Tubridy, it's another Friday fail.

It's cringetastic... and note they couldn't even get the tricolour, nor did they play the IRish national anthem. T'would upset the woke folk.

Advertisement