Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When are they publishing the wages fees of the top 10 'stars'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

When are they publishing the wages fees of the top 10 'stars'?

Ah sure, Phil Hogan... Covid 19... the weather...

LOOK OVER THERE!!!!

*RTE*

tumblr_md7dpseHqF1rfkogxo1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

Schnooks wrote: »
    Starting to look like that alright, they seem to be over-compensating for the gender balance thing in the last few years, especially in the news department.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/why-not-two-female-nominees-for-vacant-eu-commissioner-position-asks-sinn-fein-39483679.html

lets add SF to that list...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

yes, sf have women in the party.
    is that a problem?

Way to miss the point.

• Advertisement

Way to miss the point.

not at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

There is now a move in the UK to decriminalise the non-payment of the BBC licence fee. There is even a bigger case for this to happen in Ireland. The concept of ordinary working being forced to pay €160 every year to wealthy people who work in RTE is ludicrous. Failure to pay this compulsory tax will result in a criminal conviction in Ireland. This punitive tax belongs to the long lost era of the tithe, and decriminalising the non-payment should be brought in immediately.

Kivaro wrote: »
    There is now a move in the UK to decriminalise the non-payment of the BBC licence fee. There is even a bigger case for this to happen in Ireland. The concept of ordinary working being forced to pay €160 every year to wealthy people who work in RTE is ludicrous. Failure to pay this compulsory tax will result in a criminal conviction in Ireland. This punitive tax belongs to the long lost era of the tithe, and decriminalising the non-payment should be brought in immediately.

The night the legislation went through for anglo TV3 and vinny were up til the early hours broadcasting on it. He was back on the radio the next morning with very little sleep.

RTE were silent and maybe the overtime was not given etc but they slept soundly.

Anyone parachuted into Ireland would have assumed TV3 was the state broadcaster that night. RTE do what they want and dont give a s*1t

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Economic Collapse

Our spineless politicians are afraid to stand up to this cesspit RTE, where being a cousin of someone gets you a 100k job. Albania stuff.

one thing that I laugh about is the ppl here defending rte all day is that they keep asking for examples and then when you give more and more they just ignore it by changing the circle and introducing waffle. I suspect they are not honest brokers.

• Advertisement

rightmove wrote: »
    one thing that I laugh about is the ppl here defending rte all day is that they keep asking for examples and then when you give more and more they just ignore it by changing the circle and introducing waffle. I suspect they are not honest brokers.

because the examples given are not examples, but are effectively random bits which are randomly picked for the pickers to then cry how their ultra-minority view isn't the main view given traction by the broadcaster when there is no valid fact based reason for it to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

If your looking for RTÉ ego here it is in black & white, another ramble opinion piece by Tommy O’Gorman .... he must have spent 10 mins to relate Hogan’s plight to that of is famous “what about the children” Saipan interview with Roy Keane... get to the point.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2020/0829/1161922-tommie-gorman-phil-hogan/

because the examples given are not examples, but are effectively random bits which are randomly picked for the pickers to then cry how their ultra-minority view isn't the main view given traction by the broadcaster when there is no valid fact based reason for it to do so.

Ultra-minority view? Source?

Ultra-minority view? Source?

my source is every single election throughout the years.
    can't get any better then that.

my source is every single election throughout the years.
    can't get any better then that.

So a once in every few years event is your source in country where 60%+ of said country had access to no other tv channels other than RTÉ until recent years. Ok.

:rolleyes:

I’m guessing you think Joe Duffy is an intellectual heavyweight who is underpaid and Lottie Ryan got her job on merit too, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And I suppose that the 80% of the Irish population who voted to change the anchor baby loophole were also an "ultra" minority? Hmmmm.

So a once in every few years event is your source in country where 60%+ of said country had access to no other tv channels other than RTÉ until recent years. Ok.

sky and cable television have been available across the country for a couple of decades, the bbc and others via analogue has been available since television came to ireland.
    now, some won't have had access to those but i find it hard to believe it would add up to 60%.
    I’m guessing you think Joe Duffy is an intellectual heavyweight who is underpaid and Lottie Ryan got her job on merit too, right?

no, i don't think any such thing.

Kivaro wrote: »
    And I suppose that the 80% of the Irish population who voted to change the anchor baby loophole were also an "ultra" minority? Hmmmm.

no, i don't.
    there is a massive difference between agreeing that a loop hole is a problem and needed to be changed, and agreeing with the head banger nonsense of those crying because their headbanger views aren't given airtime on the national broadcaster as they would probably end up in legal trouble along with any other broadcaster which would give such views airtime.

Another new presenter on the weather, a new presenter on Prime Time...

Normally I'd celebrate 'new blood'... but when others have lost their jobs, and RTE haven't let go a single person...

It's kind of salt in the wound.

Another new presenter on the weather, a new presenter on Prime Time...

Normally I'd celebrate 'new blood'... but when others have lost their jobs, and RTE haven't let go a single person...

It's kind of salt in the wound.

Who’s new?

Elmo wrote: »
    Who’s new?

There's a new guy on PRime Time. As the main presenter I mean.He's replacing 'David' (the way Miriam usually says it) who's moved to the news.

Then on the weather, there was Linda Hughes. She was on the weather today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There's a new guy on PRime Time. As the main presenter I mean.He's replacing 'David' (the way Miriam usually says it) who's moved to the news.

Then on the weather, there was Linda Hughes. She was on the weather today.

I'd say the weather woman would be a Met Eireann employee. Don't know if they get extra money from RTE.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'd say the weather woman would be a Met Eireann employee. Don't know if they get extra money from RTE.

Well, there's one or two weather presenters on there that aren't Met Eireann employees. They're not even meteorologists.

(2 are radio DJ's).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Who are the DJs?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who are the DJs?

There are two continuity announcer that also do weather. One DJs on Gold, the other does continuity on Radio at the weekend but she previously DJ on 98fm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Well, there's one or two weather presenters on there that aren't Met Eireann employees. They're not even meteorologists.

(2 are radio DJ's).

That's kinda what I meant. Louise Herrity and Nuala Carey spring to mind. I thought with the new "weather woman" being on the 6 or 9 News she'd be Met Eireann.

I'm reminded of one evening in my mother in law's kitchen. Her father was visiting for dinner and we were watching the News. RTE had done a U Turn and brought back ME people instead of autocue readers. Evelyn Cusack came on and said something like, "Good evening everybody and it's great to be back.".

My grandfather in law replied, "Good evening Evelyn and it's fcukin great to have you back.".

sligojoek wrote: »
    That's kinda what I meant. Louise Herrity and Nuala Carey spring to mind. I thought with the new "weather woman" being on the 6 or 9 News she'd be Met Eireann.

I'm reminded of one evening in my mother in law's kitchen. Her father was visiting for dinner and we were watching the News. RTE had done a U Turn and brought back ME people instead of autocue readers. Evelyn Cusack came on and said something like, "Good evening everybody and it's great to be back.".

My grandfather in law replied, "Good evening Evelyn and it's fcukin great to have you back.".

If I recall correctly, the then head of RTE programming had come in with his 'we need young, beautiful people on TV' mantra... so Evelyn got fired, Joan Blackburn was fired (And took RTE to court) and the fellas were let go as well.
    He brought in Nuala Carey (and someone else) as the new weather women (as well as a host of new presenting faces, continuity guys and ladies like Helen Leonard (now Curran), Laura Woods, Fiona McShane etc etc).

Turns out this new guy... fancied himself as a bit of a ladies man. Accusations of sexual harassment started going around. And sure enough, a sting operation was carried out. And he was caught. (They micced up one of the Morrisson brothers- either the guy who voices Dustin, or the one who voiced Socky).
    Wasn't long until he was ousted from his job-I think he quietly stepped down, rather than face a massive court case.

Tbh, I think this coincided with Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh's claims that she was sexually harassed at RTE (It was about 20 years ago too). She's since taken a claim against RTE some 20 years later.

If I recall correctly, the then head of RTE programming had come in with his 'we need young, beautiful people on TV' mantra... so Evelyn got fired, Joan Blackburn was fired (And took RTE to court) and the fellas were let go as well.
    He brought in Nuala Carey (and someone else) as the new weather women (as well as a host of new presenting faces, continuity guys and ladies like Helen Leonard (now Curran), Laura Woods, Fiona McShane etc etc).

Yeah he came over from one of the local ITV stations and redid Network 2 as N2. Basically RTÉ decided that RTÉ ONE weather presenters would remain as MetEireann and N2 would be the female continued people.
    Turns out this new guy... fancied himself as a bit of a ladies man. Accusations of sexual harassment started going around. And sure enough, a sting operation was carried out. And he was caught. (They micced up one of the Morrisson brothers- either the guy who voices Dustin, or the one who voiced Socky).
    Wasn't long until he was ousted from his job-I think he quietly stepped down, rather than face a massive court case.

Tbh, I think this coincided with Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh's claims that she was sexually harassed at RTE (It was about 20 years ago too). She's since taken a claim against RTE some 20 years later.

When did Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh say that? It was Pamela Flood who Dustin and Socky stood up for.

many ppl making valid point about more RTE bias

Claire Byrne this time

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058106563&page=21

Elmo wrote: »
    Yeah he came over from one of the local ITV stations and redid Network 2 as N2. Basically RTÉ decided that RTÉ ONE weather presenters would remain as MetEireann and N2 would be the female continued people.

When did Blathnaid Ni Chofaigh say that? It was Pamela Flood who Dustin and Socky stood up for.

Oh that's right-but I was wondering if there were other people? Probably was, tbf.

I had to do a google. Turns out it was in the early 90s, when Chofaigh was 18, that she was sexually harassed. So I'm off on my years. In recent times, Blathnaid has now taken a case against RTE.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tv-host-reveals-sex-harassment-trauma-26344827.html
    rightmove wrote: »
    many ppl making valid point about more RTE bias

Claire Byrne this time

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058106563&page=21

Oh Byrne is WOEFUL-I've said enough about her. I'm not going to say much more. The woman is earning around €220 000, to €240 000 per year. She's terrible.

• Advertisement

Oh Byrne is WOEFUL-I've said enough about her. I'm not going to say much more. The woman is earning around €220 000, to €240 000 per year. She's terrible.
    apparently she got some big sponsor, or was was it an ok sponsorship deal but bigged up!

Advertisement