Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eleven Sports - Down to La Liga - hands back Serie A

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They've broke the blackout rule twice with LA liga games. The owner said they'll continue doing it & want to show serie a during it too
    Joris Evers, La Liga’s chief communications officer, told The Times: “This type of blackout doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. It’s from a different age. We are aware of what Eleven Sports are doing and generally support them.
    :pac:

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/la-liga-backs-eleven-sport-blackout-andrea-radrizzani

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Does Eleven Sports have Tv Distribution deals in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Cheeky young pups have been given a slap on the arse!

https://twitter.com/ElevenSportsHQ/status/1052559777539219456

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

mikeym wrote: »
    Does Eleven Sports have Tv Distribution deals in other countries?

Yes, in Belgium and Poland I understand- not sure about other jurisdictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Really it's a crazy rule - how many people who follow an English or Scottish club will stay at home because of a Serie A or Liga game on at the same time? - Almost none at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

How are people finding the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Isco wrote: »

I thinks its very good, well worth the subscription fee

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

wadacrack wrote: »
    I thinks its very good, well worth the subscription fee

Same. My only complaint is that I don't have enough time to watch all the games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

My broadband connection isn't good enough to subscribe.

When/if they get a TV channel I'll subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Supposedly they are in talks with Virgin Media in the UK to be on their platform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Very good so far. I stream it to our television using an apple tv box which is c.6 years old I am guessing. Works fine. Sunday should be a test with the Barca v. Real tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Been dithering for ages on this but I'm going to try a monthly pass. Anyone know how soon I can cancel my subscription so that it doesn't roll on to the next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Been dithering for ages on this but I'm going to try a monthly pass. Anyone know how soon I can cancel my subscription so that it doesn't roll on to the next month?

Pretty much instantly, but there's a promo month going on at the moment, with promo code WALES.

I'm hoping they will grab the rights to the Copa Libertadores Final as it's Boca Juniors v River Plate for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Dindane wrote: »
    Pretty much instantly, but there's a promo month going on at the moment, with promo code WALES.

I'm hoping they will grab the rights to the Copa Libertadores Final as it's Boca Juniors v River Plate for the first time.

That promo code isn't working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

pretty good. really like serie A and also La Liga. El Clásico was great, on the couch in front of a good fire. Usually I have a laptop beside the tv in the Kitchen and I watch while having dinner on week ends. quality great, hopefully they will have an app soon (like netflix) that works on smart tvs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevemccaskill/2018/11/23/eleven-sports-to-show-live-la-liga-and-serie-a-on-stv-player/#c9981fa2f80c

Eleven Sports To Show Live La Liga And Serie A On STV Player

Eleven Sports hopes a new content and advertising agreement with Scottish broadcaster STV will help to grow audiences and commercial income in the U.K.

The online streaming service operates channels in eight countries, serving more than 17 million customers, and launched in the U.K. this summer after wresting the rights to Spain’s La Liga from Sky and Italy’s Serie A from BT Sport.

It has since added more live soccer and other sports properties to its portfolio as it seeks to establish itself as a major player in the British sports broadcasting landscape.

One potential barrier is the fact that it isn’t available on a traditional broadcasting platform, with users watching content via a mobile application, which is compatible with Google Chromecast.

To increase awareness of the product, Eleven Sports reached a free-to-air broadcast agreement with Facebook which sees at least two live games a week shown live on the social network.

The hope is that viewers will gain a taste of what’s available on the full service and is a tactic used in other countries, most recently in Portugal, where German Bundesliga matches will be shown on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No surprises really as the lack of a tv deal put most off of subscribing to them and La Liga and Serie A just aren't popular enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

lertsnim wrote: »
    No surprises really as the lack of a tv deal put most off of subscribing to them and La Liga and Serie A just aren't popular enough.

Plus in the early days, when you'd have most interest, the service was pure dirt.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

It would be great if this service died a death and the Spanish and Italian football was back on Sky/BT.
    I have both services but refuse to subscribe to Eleven Sports, nothing to do with cost just the principle they will not show on Sky's Platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A warning for all sports bodies thinking of going with a partner outside the established.

I wonder could they end up fta in the UK. Maybe Quest or ITV might be tempted.

Interesting that the STV player (Scottish version of the ITV Hub player) has been recently carrying La Liga and Serie A games for Eleven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

I really hope it's true. The sooner they go under the better. Get the leagues back on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Don't forget that both Sky and BT chose to get rid of La Liga and Serie A.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Don't forget that both Sky and BT chose to get rid of La Liga and Serie A.

Yes because they were outbid. Spanish and Italian football is not worth huge fees to either of them and Eleven would have offered significant money as they would use it in there business plan to get a foothold in the UK/I market.

One major flaw who in their right mind would want to watch a football match on their iPhone or iPad regularly.

I posted this elsewhere earlier today.
    Interesting to see this new development - 'Watch together'.
    It probably shows the continued situation where fans are no longer glued to a match but engaging with social media etc while watching.

[Url] https://www.a516digital.com/2018/11/eleven-sports-to-launch-watch-together.html?m=1[/url]

I posted this elsewhere earlier today.
    Interesting to see this new development - 'Watch together'.
    It probably shows the continued situation where fans are no longer glued to a match but engaging with social media etc while watching.

[Url] https://www.a516digital.com/2018/11/eleven-sports-to-launch-watch-together.html?m=1[/url]

Why in God’s name would I want to lose so much screen space on my tv or projector if I want that I will go to the pub. Think this is for the snowflake generation but that’s also the generation that pirates all their sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,469 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The UFC have pulled out of there deal they used an exit clause in the contract and will remain on BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

The demise of eleven sport is great news for sports consumers - we cannot have endless subscriptions thrown at us year after year ripping us off .. ESPN tried with 3 subs and failed, VM and Eleven will fail too as people get fed up!

Having an app to use out and about or even in other rooms in your house is very handy I find.

It will be interesting to see how many subscribers Premier Sports are getting in the uk?

If they came under pressure the pro14 rugby competition would be in big trouble.

At least La Liga and Serie A are only selling secondary rights outside their own countries. They are not really exposed to a collapse.

A lot of homes still have broadband caps so would be wary of signing upto online services.
    I always plug out my chromecast when not in use. Having to use your own phone for the chromecast is also a downside for these streaming apps.

You could get an android box but apps like eir sports won't work on them.
    from the Guardian
    Eleven Sports is preparing to hand back the TV rights to Serie A to IMG, which acts as agent, which would allow them to be resold. The streaming service secured the rights to Serie A in July in a three-year deal, ending BT’s six year association with Italy’s top league.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I think if Eleven Sports are really about to shut up shop (which will leave a lot of people who bought annual passes unhappy) they’ll have proved the old trueism that if you want to run a subscription sports channel in the U.K., you must start with the acquisition of Premier League rights.

Yes I know, Premier Sports.

But it shares its costs with eir Sport, and up until the Pro14 acquisition was built on very cheaply acquired rights to competitors which had no U.K. broadcaster and which were mainly aimed at ex-pats - the GAA (Irish), NRL (Australian/NZ) and NHL (US/Canadian). The Pro14 is it’s first big deal for a U.K. domestic league and even then the eir Sport connection is why it’s in there in the first place (again, the two are sharing their costs and on air talent, and Sky backed out when it was told a U.K.-only deal was the only thing on offer).

Advertisement