Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

gmisk wrote: »
    So are you "Honest"Kevin Sharkey?
    I cant see why else you would be so obsessed with this non-issue....its kind of bizarre.

And considering that Kevin Sharkey was conceived and born a good 20 years before the 8th was even dreamt up, I'm not sure what relevance it has to anything we're discussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 HonestKevin

So are you "Honest"Kevin Sharkey?
    I cant see why else you would be so obsessed with this non-issue....its kind of bizarre.

No. You don't have to be black to be passionate about defending against racisim. I don't want my tax money being spent on women wanting to abort an unborn baby based solely on the color of the unborn babies skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

No. You don't have to be black to be passionate about defending against racisim. I don't want my tax money being spent on women wanting to abort an unborn baby based solely on the color of the unborn babies skin.

You won't know why the baby is being aborted so there's that out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

This 1 in 5 stat is rubbish....maybe do some reading and stop taking this rubbish on face value

2015 Statistics In The UK (England and Wales)

185,824 abortions
    697,852 live births

That means for every 3.75 babies born, another 1 baby was aborted.
    The UK is England Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland
    Learn before you speak

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

185,824 abortions
    697,852 live births

Whats the total figure for births? You specify 'live' births, does that mean still births aren't included?

Also, regarding the abortion figure, what are the statistics for those with FFA? Or where the mother's life was in danger? Are they all prior to 12 weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

Lads and lassies, just keep the discussion going without replying to Kevin unless he drops the strawman.

He made a comment regarding the abortion rate of Ireland if it had the same amount of restrictions as the UK.

There were approx 65,000 live births last year, over 3000+ women traveled abroad for an abortion, if they were to have that abortion here that means that 1 in every 22 live birth in Ireland would end in abortion.

So 1 in every 22 of my friends would disappear in this scenario.

Damn I wish I had 22 friends.
    Ahh
    I'll be your friend if you promise not to murder me :-)

baylah17 wrote: »
    Ahh

1 down 21 to go!

I think when abortion is introduced(whenever that is) it will become common knowledge quite quickly who the doctors who don't prescribe the meds are. It'll be a case of "oh you can't go to x they don't do it, go to y in abc town" So the instances of doctors in that position should be quite low. I do think a register would be useful though.

Family planning clinics will probably offer these services as well, so it may be the case that many women in urban areas will choose to go there instead to avoid the guessing games about what their doctors will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

185,824 abortions
    697,852 live births

3650 of those were Irish women, so remove those.
    You've also left out miscarriages, FFA, stillborn, and all other pieces that make up the full 100%.

Please provide a link to your source.

This 1 in 5 stat is rubbish....maybe do some reading and stop taking this rubbish on face value

Really...? Everything I find points towards that stat being correct in the UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: HonestKevin, don't post in this thread again. Reason: trolling.

Everyone else, stop replying to him.

baylah17 wrote: »
    Ahh

I never make that promise to my friends. I find it keeps things interesting. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Really...? Everything I find points towards that stat being correct in the UK
    The issue is not the statistic it's the method of calculation.
    It's excluding all pregnancies that are not "live births", which distorts the percentage and allows the higher "1 in 5".

Anyway , the troll has been threadbanned :)

There is a detailed FAQ available called AboutThe8th.

Great idea adding this in! Thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

....... wrote: »

Particularly when talking about the unborn, whom the prolifers claim to be protecting - unless they don't actually matter for statistical purposes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

amcalester wrote: »
    He's thread banned, no point replying any more.

I know..I just caught up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I dont even tweet about it !!!

My point is are these people so narrow minded ??
    I'm lucky that on this occasion I happen to agree with them, but on other things ?

This should be worrying, these are young people and are the next generation of politicians.

But they’re not. They are apparently using an add-on with a faulty metric which you have somehow gotten caught up in. What they don’t want to see is the rabid pro-lifers yelling about ‘baby murder’ and posting graphic imagery

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

I know..I just caught up :o

It seems anyone expressing an opinion championing the 'no' argument is banned from this thread- nice to have your own echo chamber after all.

taserfrank wrote: »
    It seems anyone expressing an opinion championing the 'no' argument is banned from this thread- nice to have your own echo chamber after all.

Aborting black babies is not championing an opinion of the no argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Do you really think that poster was championing the No argument?

I would have given most No voters more credit than that.

amcalester wrote: »
    Do you really think that poster was championing the No argument?

I would have given most No voters more credit than that.

what poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

taserfrank wrote:

People on both sides have been banned. The fact that there are more trolls, re-regs and bots on the No side does not mean the mods are biased.

People on both sides have been banned. The fact that there are more trolls, re-regs and bots on the No side does not mean the mods are biased.

Yea right love :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The people who get banned from threads break the rules.
    They troll and derail the thread to get a reaction and tell blatent lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

taserfrank wrote:
    Yea right love

Yeah right what?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

what poster?

HonestBertie who was trolling there since yesterday about black babies and so on.

Why, which No poster were you referring to? There is quite a list of them who have been banned, some several times after re-registering.

Clear sign they are losing when they resort to trolling and disrupting the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Do not discuss moderation on thread as it derails the flow of the thread. If you have an issue with a moderator decision, PM the mod in question. If you are still unhappy with the mod decisions, PM a CMod.

Let this be the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

It's a pretty telling sign of how weak the no side feel in this debate when they start coming up with the most ridiculous concerns...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement