Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 HonestKevin

gmisk wrote: »
    I am a gay man btw so really have no particular reason to be strongly in favour of repeal but I am when I think of my niece, friends etc.

Your niece or friends might not exist if we had abortion in this country like the UK. If you have more than 4 friends, 1 of them wouldn't exist. Which of the 2 or 3 or 4 of your friends would you be happy to sacrifice in the name of "choice"?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Your niece or friends might not exist if we had abortion in this country like the UK. If you have more than 4 friends, 1 of them wouldn't exist. Which of the 2 or 3 or 4 of your friends would you be happy to sacrifice in the name of "choice"?
    That statistic is false as well you know.
    10% of pregnancies are terminated (including Irish women's - which distorts the true rate) in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

RobertKK wrote: »
    They don't have to refer any woman to go to the UK for an abortion.
    What is proposed is they will have to refer a woman if the referendum is a Yes and the proposed legislation is passed. It is an issue for doctors who don't want repeal to win.
    It is also women doctors who oppose, not just male doctors.
    People have a right to conscientiously object, but the fact they have to refer a woman to a doctor who will perform the abortion, does defeat the conscientious objection.

I have absolutely no doubt that there will be die hard No voting doctors who will refuse to do referrals should the Yes vote win. No doubt at all.

Why would you think my mother's friends wanted abortions?
    This is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

He/she already sacrificed the one(s) that doesnt exist...

Dude, that there is piss poor logic. Im embarrassed for you. Up your game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Your niece or friends might not exist if we had abortion in this country like the UK.

We do have abortion in this country like the UK for most women, it's even guaranteed by an amendment in the constitution.

It's called "abortion in the UK".

ELM327 wrote: »
    That statistic is false as well you know.
    10% of pregnancies are terminated (including Irish women's - which distorts the true rate) in the uk.

Of every 4 babies born in the UK, another 1 is aborted. If Gmisk has 10 friends, 2 of them would not exist if we had abortion in Ireland like the UK.

People have a right to conscientiously object, but the fact they have to refer a woman to a doctor who will perform the abortion, does defeat the conscientious objection.

Women now have a constitutional right to information about abortion, what does a pro life doctor do now when a woman looks for this information?
    He should probably just do the same in the future......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

My wife died in a car accident when she was just 3 years old. I really miss her and our kids.

This makes as much sense as your argument i.e., none.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

What about all the friends I'd have if contraception didn't exist? Or if miscarriages didn't happen?

Your point is irrelevant. "What if" is not a good enough to deny women a choice over their own bodily autonomy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

so now we have to wring our hands about the possibility of never knowing someone....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Of every 4 babies born in the UK, another 1 is aborted. If Gmisk has 10 friends, 2 of them would not exist if we had abortion in Ireland like the UK.

You badly need to look up how stats "work"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Your argument is so stupid. How would you miss a friend that never existed. How many children have I not created by using condoms.

Contraception was illegal until 1980.
    Before that I'm sure the devout catholics against it would have said 'I wouldn't be alive today if contraception was legal'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Dude, you do know how making friends with people works...?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

If a woman gets pregnant by a black man and she decides she doesn't want a black baby, would you support her in her choice to have an abortion solely based on the color of the babys skin? Richard Nixon did:

“There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white”

Richard Nixon

That's what the proposed legislation allows. What a step forward Ireland is taking.

What legislation is suggesting 'black babies' should be aborted?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

kylith wrote: »
    Why do you care? Why are you so desperate for pro-choice people to see your posts?

I dont even tweet about it !!!

My point is are these people so narrow minded ??
    I'm lucky that on this occasion I happen to agree with them, but on other things ?

This should be worrying, these are young people and are the next generation of politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This 1 in 5 stat is rubbish....maybe do some reading and stop taking this rubbish on face value

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Why would she be having sex with a black man if she was racist? What kind of imbeciles do you take women to be?

Do you even think this drivel through before posting it?

Kevin Sharkeys mother had sex with a black man and then decided she didn't want a black baby. He was put up for adoption. In 2018 Ireland, we're proposing if a woman doesn't want a black baby, she can have an abortion for no other reason other than the color of the babys skin. This is a step backwards, not forwards.

Unborn babies should not be discriminated against based on the color of their skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

reported for trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If Gmisk has 10 friends, 2 of them would not exist if we had abortion in Ireland like the UK.

Is this like where Marty travels back and prevents the 13th being passed in 1992, and then UK abortions are banned and when he returns to 2018 Marty has 10 new friends pop out of nowhere?

Back to the Future Part IV: Attack of the Preborn

Kevin Sharkeys mother had sex with a black man and then decided she didn't want a black baby. He was put up for adoption. In 2018 Ireland, we're proposing if a woman doesn't want a black baby, she can have an abortion for no other reason other than the color of the babys skin. This is a step backwards, not forwards.

Unborn babies should not be discriminated against based on the color of their skin.

What law is suggesting babies should be aborted because of their skin colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is now the second time I've told you that is a false statistic, created by numpties and believed by numpties who cannot research for themselves.

I've reported you for trolling now a couple of times so it will be interesting to see if you get terminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The bottom of the barrel rang. It wants you you stop scraping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So are you "Honest"Kevin Sharkey?
    I cant see why else you would be so obsessed with this non-issue....its kind of bizarre.

gmisk wrote: »
    This 1 in 5 stat is rubbish....maybe do some reading and stop taking this rubbish on face value

2015 Statistics In The UK (England and Wales)

185,824 abortions
    697,852 live births

That means for every 3.75 babies born, another 1 baby was aborted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Lads and lassies, just keep the discussion going without replying to Kevin unless he drops the strawman.

He made a comment regarding the abortion rate of Ireland if it had the same amount of restrictions as the UK.

There were approx 65,000 live births last year, over 3000+ women traveled abroad for an abortion, if they were to have that abortion here that means that 1 in every 22 live birth in Ireland would end in abortion.

So 1 in every 22 of my friends would disappear in this scenario.

Damn I wish I had 22 friends.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    The bottom of the barrel rang. It wants you you stop scraping it.

Do you think all the people who were initially thanking his posts are regretting what they've aligned themselves to? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Yeah, I don't think forced, but maybe a register of doctors who will, so doctors who oppose abortion aren't put into a position where they feel their values have been compromised by sending a woman to another doctor for a procedure they oppose.

I think when abortion is introduced(whenever that is) it will become common knowledge quite quickly who the doctors who don't prescribe the meds are. It'll be a case of "oh you can't go to x they don't do it, go to y in abc town" So the instances of doctors in that position should be quite low. I do think a register would be useful though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement