Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punchestown - Day 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Kauto wrote: »
    Ten Ten hasn't a hope! Lovely horse and chaser in making but first run in a handicap such as this = no chance. Doubt he will be that busy either. Not really JP's style to go for one first time in a handicap

I wouldn't say he hasn't a hope now and certainly wasn't endorsing a bet on him. His price is about half what it should be.
    I haven't really studied the race was just trying to decipher what the lads were talking above.

FelchWivMe wrote: »
    very true actually. dunno if mullins would be too happy about pumping one out for me tho

Possibly a gelding operation could also be an option??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

In the Irish Field last weekend it said that Henrietta Knight (trainer of Best Mate) will be at Punchestown signing her new book which is about the training methods of about thirty trainers. I will be buying it.
    I am not a NH person, but I like her book "Not Enough Time", and I like well written books. She was a teacher before she was a trainer.
    Fwiw I spent today packing up my horse racing books, 22 boxes so far with about 75% packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

JURY DUTY 6.40 surely must come into the reckoning based on runs prior to Cheltenham. Beat Shattered Love 3/4L over 22f here on heavy with Percy 12L back in 3rd.
    Should have no problem staying the extra on this ground.
    14s ew looks a value bet but does depend on how he's come out of the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

All in on douvan tomorrow. Heart and head says he will win . Full duck or no dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Idea to have a daily thread? Will just be chaos otherwise!

Maybe rename this for Day 1?

Douvan seems a bonkers price tbh. He should be at minimum a 2/1 shot. I'm not sure how anyone could be backing him at 11/10 or whatever he is.
    If Min didn't go to Aintree I'd be pretty keen on him but it was a tough race. Think its a no bet race. To many unknowns. Douvan seems to short. Min seems to big. Can't have Un Des Sceaux. If Douvan hit evens on betfair I think I might lay him if pushed for a bet.
    A corker of a race to start the week can't wait for it.

If douvan didn’t run at cheltenham last year he would be 2/7. He would have won if he stayed up this year in my opinion

akelly02 wrote: »
    If douvan didn’t run at cheltenham last year he would be 2/7. He would have won if he stayed up this year in my opinion

If douvan didn't run at Cheltenham last year and had 1 run at Cheltenham since then he would be the same price against this lot.

Also he fell 4 out. I'm not sure how anyone could say he would have won. There was about half a mile or more to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

That Champion chase is the kind of race that having a bet in would almost ruin.
    No bet and i'll not be focussed on any one horse other than the others and will be able to fully enjoy what i think could be the best race of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

akelly02 wrote: »
    All in on douvan tomorrow. Heart and head says he will win . Full duck or no dinner
    kiers47 wrote: »
    Douvan seems a bonkers price tbh. He should be at minimum a 2/1 shot. I'm not sure how anyone could be backing him at 11/10 or whatever he is.
    If Min didn't go to Aintree I'd be pretty keen on him but it was a tough race. Think its a no bet race. To many unknowns. Douvan seems to short. Min seems to big. Can't have Un Des Sceaux. If Douvan hit evens on betfair I think I might lay him if pushed for a bet.
    A corker of a race to start the week can't wait for it.
    It's funny how we can all come to very diffeing views of the same race, I agree with kiers47 that the price on Douvan is bonkers, I would have had him as a 4/6 shot to be honest and like akelly02 i'll be going all in. The real Douvan shows up here and they wont see which way he went.

danganabu wrote: »
    It's funny how we can all come to very diffeing views of the same race, I agree with kiers47 that the price on Douvan is bonkers, I would have had him as a 4/6 shot to be honest and like akelly02 i'll be going all in. The real Douvan shows up here and they wont see which way he went.

Best of luck to ye lads rather.
    Ye are braver men than me.

Can I ask a question what price would he have to be to be a layer of him. You reckon he is a 4/6 shot so maybe 1/2?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Min had two very tough races in quick succession and possibly wouldn't be running here if Willie wasn't chasing the trainers championship. Douvan a fair price in my book.

Douvan and Monalee double for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Best of luck to ye lads rather.
    Ye are braver men than me.

Can I ask a question what price would he have to be to be a layer of him. You reckon he is a 4/6 shot so maybe 1/2?

Yeah I would probably be a layer at 1/2, simply because its too skinny for a horse that may bounce and has a fall to get over. But at the current prices I think those fears are overstated.

Douvan was so enthusiastic at Cheltenham I think that paul needs to try and settle him tomorrow. If he tries to take UDS on they could sicken each other possibly.
    I mean we have only seen the horse complete 2/3's of 2 races in nearly 18 months. Its a big risk to take on an even money shot in my eyes. I'd rather just watch the race tbh. If min didn't run in Aintree id certainly be backing him at the price. But that is also off putting. Good luck to anyone playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Sharjah looks a decent price to me on better ground.

I couldn't have Douvan at evens, hopefully he bolts up, might so a small treble or something but couldn't have him at evens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Getabird Douvan Monalee treble on.
    Low Sun @10/1single
    Blue templar/think positive Double
    Harringtons one in the last single

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

I reckon Douvan will smash this but at the same time going in on evens just makes me think "too big to fail".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Only 2 bets for me today, Dis Donc in the 4.55 and Shattered Love in the 6.40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Two 5 singles and a 5 double: Mengli Khan and UDS. That's my lot for the day.

• Advertisement

Unless of course your thinking something further down the betting? In which case im quite intrigued.

Ivanovic gorbatov is the one I'm thinking of mainly. Back on decent ground at long last and I expect a big run. Houses of parliament very interesting too on decent ground seeing as with the jockeys claim he's running of a mark ridiculously lenient in comparison to his flat mark(which was achieved on good ground).

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭famagusta

Monalee has to be a big price at 9/4, best form in the race, beaten most of them before...

If douvan didn't run at Cheltenham last year and had 1 run at Cheltenham since then he would be the same price against this lot.

Also he fell 4 out. I'm not sure how anyone could say he would have won. There was about half a mile or more to go.

he had half of them in trouble at that stage including altior, away and gone he would have been by the time altior hit top gear

famagusta wrote: »
    Monalee has to be a big price at 9/4, best form in the race, beaten most of them before...

Yeah i'd fully agree. Expected 7/4 or as low as 13/8 so i think i'll have a go at 9/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lot of rain in Dublin city centre over the last hour or so, wonder if Punch is getting any of it?

Slattsy wrote: »
    Lot of rain in Dublin city centre over the last hour or so, wonder if Punch is getting any of it?

Interesting, wouldn't do Ivanovic any favours.:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Ivanovich Gorbatov is gone at the game.

My picks for today:
    Sharjah and Draconian
    Bunk Off Early
    Finians Oscar

Douvan being the only horse they want to back in the Champion Chase it seems. Its odd that it was quite the opposite at cheltenham where he was friendless and Min was smashed.
    If Min drifts any further i think id be a backer each way maybe if someone stuck their head out at 4/1 or possibly 7/2

The Mig wrote: »
    Ivanovich Gorbatov is gone at the game.

My picks for today:
    Sharjah and Draconian
    Bunk Off Early
    Finians Oscar

Keep hearing this but the last time he encountered decent ground he was beaten 3 lengths off 150 in a county hurdle. His runs this year he's hated the ground and i'll be surprised if he doesn't run a lot better race today than he has been as long as that bloody rain doesn't get into the ground :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Some price drop on Tyner's horse in the 6.05. 100/1 last night , down as low as 12/1 now!20's left in a few places.

Advertisement