Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punchestown - Day 1

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I didn't see the racing this afternoon.
    In that incident it looks to me that the jockey who ran out decided to take out the other horse (jockey with red cap). I have no idea why.
    The horse did not jink or try to run out. He was driven to his right.
    I am surprised that his holiday is only 21 days. Many multiples of that would have been my guess.

Looking at it again the jockey stopped riding a long way before he swerved right.

Stopped riding.
    Didn't ride the horse to the fence.
    Deliberately swerved around the fence.

I think the racing public needs an explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I think the narrative of Elliot catching Mullins is overdone, the movement of the bulk of the Gigginstown animals is by far the biggest factor in him catching up over the last 3-4 years. He has said several times winning the trainers championship is his biggest goal and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a bit more pro active than people think in the whole Mullins O'Leary thing.

Knowing Mullins had put his fees up and Michael O'Leary's persona anybody with a bit of cunning would plant a seed and offer O'Leary a barnstorming deal on fees, O'Leary asks Mullins to match it and he won't so O'Leary calls his bluff and pulls the horses. I have absolutely zero inside info etc. but it feels like a very very plausible scenario and more power too him if he did, it's a competitive game and sometimes you have to be a bit Machiavellian to succeed.

Taking the piss if you can't see Elliott is the rising star in this country and England. Not like Willie hasn't benefited himself from having a sweet benefactor or two.

It is what it is. Everyone knew Willie was keeping his powder dry for Punchestown while Elliott was assaulting on all fronts. Still early in the week so we'll wait and see how things end up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Conas wrote: »
    You say he's the most talented horse in the field, and he's a class horse, but yet on the big stage against top quality horses he's failed abysmally. What has he done that makes him class? beating Sizing John who was never a 2 mile chaser or hurdler.
    Douvan was a good novice over hurdles and fences, but no way has the hype been justified. On his day he's a good horse, but no way can be deemed a 'class' horse. He never faced anything special as a novice.
    Don't know how he can be considered the most talented in the field today. When he hasn't proved anything, except beating Sizing John, a Gold Cup horse who was running in the wrong division.

He has been beaten 3 times. Once he was injured in Cheltenham. If you think that is his running then you are simply incorrect. He was then off for a year and ran again at Cheltenham after an injury. Was travelling fine until coming down 4 out. Don't think he'd have won myself but there is no guarantees he wouldn't have.

So really his only bad run in his career was yesterday. Horses are not machines unfortunately they get beat.

His times against the clock have also been exceptional through his career.

You've probably been listening to Blake going on that rant on the FFP last year about him only beating sizing John. Which is fine. He was a very short price and he was looking for an angle. But I don't think you can say a horse that won 13 races on the bounce for Willie and at 2 Cheltenham festivals is not a class horse and extremely talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Robbie Power is switching the horse to the inside, maybe he's shouting at the horse to get round him and Paul Townend picks something up wrong.

He definitely looks behind him as if he heard something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

akelly02 wrote: »
    Absolute bollocks

I agree and I subsequently did afterwards having seen the wide angle view on the ATR last night that Mick Fitz is commenting over.

What where all those people with the hi-vizz jackets doing on the course and some clown pointing his arm in the air.

449166.jpg

It seems clear now that Townend wondered how he was so easily ahead with the two lads tight on the rail and all the commotion on the inside of the inner track. He heard a shout by all accounts to go around.

The stewards could have been more forthcoming in their report as they spoke to both jockeys and thats what he told them.

https://twitter.com/AtTheRaces/status/988841190719082497/video/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

STB. wrote: »
    I agree and I subsequently did afterwards having seen the wide angle view on the ATR last night that Mick Fitz is commenting over.

What where all those people with the hi-vizz jackets doing on the course and some clown pointing his arm in the air.

449166.jpg

It seems clear now that Townend wondered how he was so easily ahead with the two lads tight on the rail and all the commotion on the inside of the inner track. He heard a shout by all accounts to go around.

The stewards could have been more forthcoming in their report as they spoke to both jockeys and thats what he told them.

Two paramedics and two lads in high vis doing their job. That also makes Townends brain fade even more disastrous given their were four people right in the line of where he steered ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

STB. wrote: »

449166.jpg

The guys by the fence are snappers. I’d have a think about moving them away a bit but they’re there for all the races so they can’t have had any effect on what Townend was thinking.

There’s still no point speculating on what he might have heard or seen. Only he can offer any clarity on that which I assume he will today along with a big mea culpa and heartfelt apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Two paramedics and two lads in high vis doing their job. That also makes Townends brain fade even more disastrous given their were four people right in the line of where he steered ABP.

A shout, paramedics at the last and some guy pointing an arm and a monetary bad decision.

Mayhem.

What he told the stewards was that he heard a shout. Reported this morning in the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭thehairyone

There are two people sitting on the fence just as they were coming to the final fence. One appears to be an older gentleman and the other appeared to be younger/smaller wearing dark clothes (this is the same person who comes on the track to try and grab the loose horse after most of the riders had passed). From the hind camera shot, we can see that the younger persons head moves forward (as it would if you are shouting as an enthusiastic spectator) as Paul approaches them. its after this head movement that paul has a look behind him. We know what happens after that.

Paul said he heard a shout, could well have been the younger person on the side cheering him on. Reaching a bit i know but definitely seems plausible to me.

He was at the rear of the field most of the way around and would have known that nothing fell at that (last) fence on the first circuit.
    And no horse fell until that second-last fence where two fell upsides him.
    There was no reason for him to think that fence should be avoided.

He was lucky they only did him for dangerous riding.

I don't bet on jumps racing so that result means nothing to me.

Advertisement