Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm and Lucy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rokmeamadeus

Colm and Lucy. They may not be great, but at least they're not Graham and Nathan on SPIN. Now THEY are terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

Colm and Lucy. They may not be great, but at least they're not Graham and Nathan on SPIN. Now THEY are terrible.

I take your point. But Spin is a teenybopper station, so one would expect it to be juvenile and, well, crap (in my opinion). My point is that Spin doesn't pretend to be something it's not. It's for kids who listen to whatever music is popular at the present time. So I don't expect high brow programming and knowledgeable jocks on that particular station. It is what it is, they have their audience and good luck to them. Nova is meant to be Dublin's premier rock station, supposedly aimed at an older demographic. Colm and Lucy's show does not reflect what the station is supposed to be about. OK, they may not be as bad as the presenters you mentioned, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't expect better from Nova than marginally superior presenters than Spin. We deserve better, much better than the Colm & Lucy Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It's hard not to sound elitest but if you enjoy nova it means you put music that you like first in your radio criteria therefore the current breakfast show is scientifically and mathematically in a far lower intellectual space than its demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Well at least theres an adult on for now....;)

Well at least theres an adult on for now....;)

It's such a contrast, isn't it? It's actually a pleasure to tune in to the breakfast show right now. No childish 'humour', no waffle and good music. Quigley has the ideal balance of chat and music spot on and he treats the listener like an adult, as it should be.

• Advertisement

Kyle More wrote: »
    It's such a contrast, isn't it? It's actually a pleasure to tune in to the breakfast show right now. No childish 'humour', no waffle and good music. Quigley has the ideal balance of chat and music spot on and he treats the listener like an adult, as it should be.

Sadly its what Hayes says goes...thats the crap he likes, smut, innuendos, pervy humour.....maybe Branners likes it to....might explain a lot...:)

Did liam mention boobs, lady parts or knobs this morning...???

Did liam mention boobs, lady parts or knobs this morning...???

Nope, thankfully he has more respect for himself and his listeners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

So enjoyable the last couple or mornings having the breakfast show back on. So much so I’ll even forgive having to listen to Fergal Sharkeys “A Good Heart”

It just emphasizes how much they have wrecked the breakfast slot with Colm and Lucy.

I’ll be back to Newstalk unfortunately when they are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Turned it on by accident this morning, I was panicing trying to change the station after a tune, plesantly surprised to hear Liam Quig. I felt guilty listening to LQ this morning,

jamule wrote: »
    Turned it on by accident this morning, I was panicing trying to change the station after a tune, plesantly surprised to hear Liam Quig. I felt guilty listening to LQ this morning,

Don't worry, the guilt will be short lived..gobsh1te 1 and 2 will be back soon...unfortunately. ..

• Advertisement

jamule wrote: »
    I felt guilty listening to LQ this morning,

Why would you feel guilty? If anyone should feel guilty it's Nova, for continuing to push the Colm and Lucy Show on its listeners despite continued pleas to stop.

Theres a stain on my radio..its always there, i can leave it unused for weeks but when i put it on again its still there nothing i do will remove it, other people have the same problem...,its rancid, its vomit inducing...its the rotten stench of the colm and lucy show.........:D

Now THATS a promo...................:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Theres a stain on my radio..its always there, i can leave it unused for weeks but when i put it on again its still there nothing i do will remove it, other people have the same problem...,its rancid, its vomit inducing...its the rotten stench of the colm and lucy show.........:D

Now THATS a promo...................:D:D

theres a cream for that...

That or a visit to A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Kamili wrote: »
    theres a cream for that...

That or a visit to A&E

There's no cream, it's like working in a piggery. You can scrub and scrub but it's burned into your skin.

Yeah..its like seeing or hearing something awful or upsetting...it cant be undone, no reset button sadly....

I heard 2 minutes of them while i was in a shop this morning..they were talking about stains..why ?....because in rehersal they were pi$$ing themselves laughing, ...and they asked the listener to text in their worst one..Hayes said the "dirtyier the better"...what a sad individual he really in...i bet he dribbles when he's excited....:rolleyes:

Yeah..its like seeing or hearing something awful or upsetting...it cant be undone, no reset button sadly....

I heard 2 minutes of them while i was in a shop this morning..they were talking about stains..why ?....because in rehersal they were pi$$ing themselves laughing, ...and they asked the listener to text in their worst one..Hayes said the "dirtyier the better"...what a sad individual he really in...i bet he dribbles when he's excited....:rolleyes:

It's like listening to someone's dad who thinks he's funny, but he's actually kind of creepy. How this show is still on the air is baffling, it truly is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I've heard spots on Nova where they "Boast"they don't have any fake annoying banter like other radio stations, followed up immediately by another saying Nova us the new home of the Colm and Lucy brbreakfast show.

You couldn't make it up

I've heard spots on Nova where they "Boast"they don't have any fake annoying banter like other radio stations, followed up immediately by another saying Nova us the new home of the Colm and Lucy brbreakfast show.

You couldn't make it up

Oh but they do......listen to Millers fake laugh while he's reading some hilarious piece, that he's read 10 times over...and i thought Dooleys fake yank accent was bad,,,struth..they're all about the fake....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I like Lucy. Not a fan of Colm. Though I did get a shock the other day when he said his daughter was in college. Im pretty sure i remember him announcing when she was born on the strawberry alarm clock? Can't believe she's old enough to be in college.

I was listening to the Strawberry Alarmclock then too, the days of Colm, Justin and Joan then through the best era of Colm and JimJim. They were really good together but have been pants since going separate ways. The Strawberry Alarmclock was always my go to and I only tune in now when Mark is on his own, yer man Jim needs to crawl out of his own hole and realise he's about as funny as a dose of the clap.

The alternative being Colm and Lucy and as bad as they are it's better than 104 at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I was listening to the Strawberry Alarmclock then too, the days of Colm, Justin and Joan then through the best era of Colm and JimJim. They were really good together but have been pants since going separate ways. The Strawberry Alarmclock was always my go to and I only tune in now when Mark is on his own, yer man Jim needs to crawl out of his own hole and realise he's about as funny as a dose of the clap.

The alternative being Colm and Lucy and as bad as they are it's better than 104 at the minute.
    Bring back Justin McKenna from the mid 90's along with Joan Lea and if we must... Hayes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I loved it back then with Colm Justin and Joan. I actually really liked Joan...where did she end up I wonder? I would listen on my walkman on the bus and be trying not to laugh. 98fm had the Dawn Patrol at the time and god love them they tried to compete with the strawberry alarm clock unsuccessfully.

When Colm and Jim Jim went to 2fm that's when I lost interest. Colm became kind of condescending or something. I wonder were the bosses more strict at 2fm? They couldn't go 5 mins without mentioning some sponsor or other and they seemed very restricted.

I moved over to Spin at some ..I can't remember the name of the show now...with Joe and Keith? They slayed me....one morning I had to get off the bus I was laughing so much lol. Their last show I was late for work because I wanted to catch the end of it :o . When they came back to Phantom I actually squealed! But that didn't last long and now Keith is in 2fm and he's gone all meh too. He was always the whacky one!

I can't bare Jim Jim...sometimes I land on fm104 and they make me chuckle...but not very often. Though I heard their song for Ballybrack FC and that was hilarious.

Anyhow...not that I expect anyone to be interested in my morning radio listening...but there was a time when you had a morning show that you just tuned into and remained with every morning until you got to work. I don't do that anymore. Colm and Lucy initially sounded like it would be something that would be like the 'old days '. I really want to like it, but I find Colm snooty or some thing now?

I know I've mentioned this before and I apologise for repeating myself, but the point must be made once again: Colm & Lucy don't belong on Nova. To echo my first post in this thread, they're completely wrong for the station (or at least what it's supposed to be). I understand that there are fans of the 'whacky' breakfast duo formula, but Nova was supposed to be the antithesis of that. With Nova, it was meant to be about the music. It was meant to offer an alternative for those who wanted something different to the type of show that Colm & Lucy now present (complete and utter drivel, if you ask me). I mean no disrespect to anyone who enjoys such shows. If that's what you like, good on you. It's just a shame that a station that once offered a real alternative has been upended in such a way that they're now drifting towards 'more of the same' as regards content. Don't get me wrong, the station still produces some good programming. But with a director of programming who hosts the flagship show and who seems intent on watering the content down even further, I'd say it's only going to get worse.

I know I've mentioned this before and I apologise for repeating myself, but the point must be made once again: Colm & Lucy don't belong on Nova. To echo my first post in this thread, they're completely wrong for the station (or at least what it's supposed to be). I understand that there are fans of the 'whacky' breakfast duo formula, but Nova was supposed to be the antithesis of that. With Nova, it was meant to be about the music. It was meant to offer an alternative for those who wanted something different to the type of show that Colm & Lucy now present (complete and utter drivel, if you ask me). I mean no disrespect to anyone who enjoys such shows. If that's what you like, good on you. It's just a shame that a station that once offered a real alternative has been upended in such a way that they're now drifting towards 'more of the same' as regards content. Don't get me wrong, the station still produces some good programming. But with a director of programming who hosts the flagship show and who seems intent on watering the content down even further, I'd say it's only going to get worse.

I rarely listened to nova...it was set as a station in the car and I found it grand enough so kept it. I wouldn't know what it was meant be, so if you're right it explains why it hasn't gone down well. But equally if they were trying to draw a bigger audience...even the fans of the whacky shows (such as my self) aren't taking to it either. So theyre losing on two fronts.

I feel sorry for Lucy because I like her.

I rarely listened to nova...it was set as a station in the car and I found it grand enough so kept it. I wouldn't know what it was meant be, so if you're right it explains why it hasn't gone down well. But equally if they were trying to draw a bigger audience...even the fans of the whacky shows (such as my self) aren't taking to it either. So theyre losing on two fronts.

I feel sorry for Lucy because I like her.

I find it strange that she accepted such a post, to be honest. Nova is a relatively small station in relation to its audience share and she's already a well established player in the Irish media, so she certainly didn't need the job. In fact, the job at Nova seems to be an inconvenience to her if anything, because she's often absent due to other commitments (ie: Living with Lucy, Ireland's Got Talent etc). I stick by my theory (in fact, it may have been Max Headroom who initially floated the idea) that she's being retained because Virgin have their eye on the station with the possibility of it going nationwide.

I find it strange that she accepted such a post, to be honest. Nova is a relatively small station in relation to its audience share and she's already a well established player in the Irish media, so she certainly didn't need the job. In fact, the job at Nova seems to be an inconvenience to her if anything, because she's often absent due to other commitments (ie: Living with Lucy, Ireland's Got Talent etc). I stick by my theory (in fact, it may have been Max Headroom who initially floated the idea) that she's being retained because Virgin have their eye on the station with the possibility of it going nationwide.

Interesting. From the few times I've listened to the show they seem to talk about the times they worked together 'back in the day'. I'm not sure when that was? It seems to be earlier than 2fm? So I just assumed they wanted a flashy morning crew and they thought these two would have chemistry. But the nationwide idea makes more sense.

Interesting. From the few times I've listened to the show they seem to talk about the times they worked together 'back in the day'. I'm not sure when that was? It seems to be earlier than 2fm? So I just assumed they wanted a flashy morning crew and they thought these two would have chemistry. But the nationwide idea makes more sense.

Yeah, they temporarily took over Gerry Ryan's slot on 2FM in 2010 after Ryan died. It didn't last long, but it was only intended as a temporary measure before a permanent replacement could be found.

It's actually quite interesting to hear from a listener who likes the show (or doesn't mind it, at least). As you can probably see from the vast majority of posts on here, long time Nova listeners generally hate the show.

If you would, what do you like about it? I promise I'm not trying to be smart or trying to ridicule you, just a genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'd say she got a nice cheque and for a little amount of air time and she said why not.

It makes sense for both Virgin Media and Nova, she has a radio slot which might help her TV programmes and she has a relatively big TV show that should definitely boost Radio Nova.

The problem is she is coming from 2 different places, Virgin Media one is a main stream TV channel while Nova is supposed to be a classic rock radio station.

But I'd go back to LiteFM/Easy FM/Q102 and its rule book Martin King, Aidan Cooney and even Conor Clear.

Elmo wrote: »
    The problem is she is coming from 2 different places, Virgin Media one is a main stream TV channel while Nova is supposed to be a classic rock radio.

I reckon if the station was to go national, it would coincide with a takeover by Virgin. Bye bye, Nova, hello Virgin Radio Ireland. It's mostly a rock station in name only these days. Its transition to a full on mainstream station would barely be noticeable from the perspective of musical content.

Yeah, they temporarily took over Gerry Ryan's slot on 2FM in 2010 after Ryan died. It didn't last long, but it was only intended as a temporary measure before a permanent replacement could be found.

It's actually quite interesting to hear from a listener who likes the show (or doesn't mind it, at least). As you can probably see from the vast majority of posts on here, long time Nova listeners generally hate the show.

If you would, what do you like about it? I promise I'm not trying to be smart or trying to ridicule you, just a genuine question.

I don't like it. As I say I find Colm too overbearing and so had to turn it off. I caught it a couple of times...listened to 2 mins of it to try and give it a go, but turned it off. That's what I meant when I said it's not even appealing to the whacky listeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I loved it back then with Colm Justin and Joan. I actually really liked Joan...where did she end up I wonder? I would listen on my walkman on the bus and be trying not to laugh. 98fm had the Dawn Patrol at the time and god love them they tried to compete with the strawberry alarm clock unsuccessfully.

When Colm and Jim Jim went to 2fm that's when I lost interest. Colm became kind of condescending or something. I wonder were the bosses more strict at 2fm? They couldn't go 5 mins without mentioning some sponsor or other and they seemed very restricted.

I moved over to Spin at some ..I can't remember the name of the show now...with Joe and Keith? They slayed me....one morning I had to get off the bus I was laughing so much lol. Their last show I was late for work because I wanted to catch the end of it :o . When they came back to Phantom I actually squealed! But that didn't last long and now Keith is in 2fm and he's gone all meh too. He was always the whacky one!

I can't bare Jim Jim...sometimes I land on fm104 and they make me chuckle...but not very often. Though I heard their song for Ballybrack FC and that was hilarious.

Anyhow...not that I expect anyone to be interested in my morning radio listening...but there was a time when you had a morning show that you just tuned into and remained with every morning until you got to work. I don't do that anymore. Colm and Lucy initially sounded like it would be something that would be like the 'old days '. I really want to like it, but I find Colm snooty or some thing now?

Joan moved to a drive time position and then petered out of radio. Colm and JimJim on their own was brilliant and I used to laugh my ass off, they routinely cleaned up at awards and the 'bits' were actually really funny, they would have people talking all day.
    Jim seems to be trying to replicate this but he is utter ****e as the lead, he dipped his toe into stand up a few years ago and failed miserably too. Ego is an awful thing, especially when you're ****e

Advertisement