Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colm and Lucy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

Colm Hayes is a frickin' hero. Having toiled talentlessly through the pre-licenced golden era of the super pirates to the commercially viable but creative wastelands of independent licenced radio, without so much as a singular achievement to his name, he somehow traversed the rubicon to Montrose and the state broadcaster. There he conspired along with his collaborator in chief, the talented Jim-Jim Nugent, to bring their fertile brand of radio to the country masses who alas switched off or in fact never tuned in having never heard of either. Having won the hearts of many Dubliners with their early morning antics on the famed strawberry alarm clock they must have been shattered by the reticence of the listerner in far flung outposts to appreciate their brand of wit and wonder on the wireless. So then despite the alleged backing of the late great Gerry Ryan the dynamic duo were dispatched, but wait, Colm endured, somehow and was retained, How? Why? How in the name of God? But I digress slightly... The scorned Jim-Jim revealed to the Evening Herald in 2011 of his angst at the apparent pay disparity between he and old Colm in 2009. It was a startling discovery that the apparent junior partner was it seems on less than half of that of his colleague's sizable pay packet. Subequently his radio dalliance with Lucy Kennedy began in earnest in the very same slot fronted by the revered and sometime reviled, but never anything but charismatic Gerry Ryan, a true radio icon. This anomoly of the atrocious wasn't fully dispatched by 2fm. Again Colm survived before clocking up a decade on national radio. A decade! This true survivor emerged from a brief forced hiatus last year to reboot at Radio Nova after years of speculation. The dead wood were jettisoned and operation Hayes 'em began with the renewal of the Lucey love-in. The world of breakfast radio would never be the same again. Alas it is so. And so the emperor has no clothes. He survives. He is a hero. The anti-hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Pretty big apparently. The story that I heard allegedly goes that Colm was on more than twice the money Jim Jim was on when they went to RTE. Hayes worked for RTE way back when and was big pals with Gerry Ryan and Ryan was allegedly instrumental in allegedly suggesting to RTE to bring in the two lads from FM 10Bore....so that may have been something to do with the fees being unequal (esp. given Ryan's power in RTE). Quite how Hayes thought this would have been kept quiet I don't know as the fees of the top earners are published so he must have known it would come out at some stage...and cause some acrimony, but that's what allegedly caused it.

He never expect that RTÉ would be looking to cut the fees and that one top presenter would pass while another would leave the station, meaning that Hayes while not on as much money was just below the top 10, I often think some RTÉ presenters are just about making a little less than number 10, and Hayes was one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Elmo wrote: »
    He never expect that RTÉ would be looking to cut the fees and that one top presenter would pass while another would leave the station, meaning that Hayes while not on as much money was just below the top 10, I often think some RTÉ presenters are just about making a little less than number 10, and Hayes was one of those.

He made the top 10 more than once and it was published as such. I couldn’t believe it myself at the time but google it and you’ll see (on the phone now so can’t/it’s too awkward to post the links from mobile). Don’t forget he was on tv too!

Agree with you though that I suspect there’s a plethora of the “talent” clustered together just below the top 10 figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

He made the top 10 more than once and it was published as such. I couldn’t believe it myself at the time but google it and you’ll see (on the phone now so can’t/it’s too awkward to post the links from mobile). Don’t forget he was on tv too!

Agree with you though that I suspect there’s a plethora of the “talent” clustered together just below the top 10 figure.

from Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colm_Hayes
    The Colm Hayes Show (2010 - present)
    Hayes then hosted the 11-1 show, following on from Ryan Tubridy's Tubridy programme which replaced Ryan.

In 2011, Hayes gained listeners in the JNLRs. On 11 November 2011, RTÉ revealed that Hayes had earned €213,954 from RTÉ in 2009, the organisation's tenth highest earner. Jim-Jim, paid less than half this figure before he departed RTÉ, was reported to have been "shocked" to learn of this, describing it as a "mystery", a "betrayal" and suggesting that "RTE is run like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Kamili wrote: »

Funny that...i always thought Augustus Gloop reminded me of someone....:)

• Advertisement

Turned on The Six O'clock show and saw this...someone sent in Mr and Mrs Potato heads....Col and Lucy ......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

I'd rather have the potatoes on the radio. They'd have far more interesting and intelligent conversation than the dopey duo.

Hayes is obvs using the hemorrhoid cream on his boat race.....it's doesn't stop the utter sh1te coming out his mouth tho...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Had the misfortune of working last week and the plumber was listening to this on his radio. It wasn't lucy but some other one with Hayes. They were discussing Kate Middleton and how she had a team of people to do her hair and make up before she left the hospital and what damage does that do to regular women who see this.

Dublin's Rock/Alternative station right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mfceiling wrote: »
    Had the misfortune of working last week and the plumber was listening to this on his radio. It wasn't lucy but some other one with Hayes. They were discussing Kate Middleton and how she had a team of people to do her hair and make up before she left the hospital and what damage does that do to regular women who see this.

Dublin's Rock/Alternative station right there.

This mornin we had 20mins on colm's dishwasher, you could tell it was a planned discussion too making it even worse. Awful.

• Advertisement

If ever there was a reason for the BAI not to renew their licence it's that show....and Hayes.. obvs..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It used to be music focused how on earth did they to do a complete turn and make it about two misplaced presenters. Only if one of them is the program director I guess.

It used to be music focused how on earth did they to do a complete turn and make it about two misplaced presenters. Only if one of them is the program director I guess.

As i've said Hayes can do ,and does what he wants, even if its detremental to the station...his "IM COLM HAYES" ego is bigger than nova...Branigan owns the name but thats it ..just a puppet like the rest of them....

Master of puppets I’m pulling your strings
    Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
    Blinded by me, you can’t see a thing
    Just call my name, ‘cause I’ll hear you scream
    HAYES
    HAYES

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

I work on a building site, inside houses usually alone. Last month or so i have tuned out until after my 10oclock break, then stick Marty on and keep Nova on the rest of the day. Best decision ever made, even if i have to listen to Q102, Today FM etc for a while, still way better than those two headwreckers.

I work on a building site, inside houses usually alone. Last month or so i have tuned out until after my 10oclock break, then stick Marty on and keep Nova on the rest of the day. Best decision ever made, even if i have to listen to Q102, Today FM etc for a while, still way better than those two headwreckers.

...and now you have Liam all week.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,154 ✭✭✭prunudo

...and now you have Liam all week.....;)

Peter Devlin surely?

jvan wrote: »
    Peter Devlin surely?

:o:o:o...SOZZ...so excited i forgot his name.....(im listening to Radio x at the moment)....

:o:o:o...SOZZ...so excited i forgot his name.....(im listening to Radio x at the moment)....

Both equally as good and superior though.

Both equally as good and superior though.

Yeah...but in a restricted way dont cha think....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Dreadful morning show, absolutely ruining the station. I wish they just had a morning music show.
    Do you think they go into a board room to brain(yea, I know Colm hasn't got much of one) storm ideas and he just shouts we need more kids on the show and all the others gob****es just agree with him and let him do it.

• Advertisement

Dreadful morning show, absolutely ruining the station. I wish they just had a morning music show.
    Do you think they go into a board room to brain(yea, I know Colm hasn't got much of one) storm ideas and he just shouts we need more kids on the show and all the others gob****es just agree with him and let him do it.

Got it in one......

You'd wonder how many don't change back though. A lot will just stick with the new station and not bother channel hopping all day long.

You'd wonder how many don't change back though. A lot will just stick with the new station and not bother channel hopping all day long.

But there is an increase in listeners to the morning show..

Are people actually tuning in to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

yep :D:D:D:D

Kamili wrote: »
    But there is an increase in listeners to the morning show..

Are people actually tuning in to it?

Maybe, how anybody finds it listenable is beyond me. Could be new listeners coming from other banter, I mean drivel based breakfast shows.
    As I've said elsewhere, the more mainstream and higher listenership figures the station crave, the further away from the original format the station will become.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Good grief it is awful. Their whole schtick seems to be to constantly snipe & snark at each other. I know that's supposed to be banter but jesus christ it's unlistenable. And as for the 'hands off boys' advert? Give us a break.

Maybe, how anybody finds it listenable is beyond me. Could be new listeners coming from other banter, I mean drivel based breakfast shows.
    As I've said elsewhere, the more mainstream and higher listenership figures the station crave, the further away from the original format the station will become.

A lot of them are "accidental listeners" ..they press scan and hear a song that their Ma used to sing and just leave it on......this is exactly the people theyre looking for...hence the "soft" playlist...and of course "Everybody loves Lucy"...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

I have actually stopped listening to radio Nova altogether now, thanks to this show, which is a shame as I was a big fan of the station, but they cannot keep the station running just for me.
    Last time I listened in I may aswell have being listening to 2fm.

So I am listening alot to spoken word podcasts, some are a few years old and outdated, but listening to that is more fun then Radio Nova for me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Even the ads for this show annoy me. "Zany" presenters "bantering" do my head in.

• Advertisement

Even the ads for this show annoy me. "Zany" presenters "bantering" do my head in.

Zany?
    pre scripted, unfunny and juvenile more like. To the point it awkward.

Advertisement